Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Samuel Adams Triple Bock | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock
2.96/5
Poor
Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.

Added by Todd on 01-10-1998

2.58/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a thick syrupy dark blackish color. No head or carbonation.
Thick pungent alcohol, licorice, dried raisons in the nose.
Wow....sooo sweet tasting almost too sweet. Very strong alcohol, some slight dark fruit flavor but hard to pick out over the sweetness and alcohol.
Thick sticky mouthfeel, very thick.
Not very drinkable....

1.92/5  rDev -35.1%

This is a "Super Bock". That is, it's super dark dark brown in color with no foam, super thick and syurpy. It has a super roasted malt aroma with a super smell of alcohol also. The taste is super sweet roasted malts on the verge of sicking. Not really worth the price and what a super dissapointment!!!

2.26/5  rDev -23.6%

This beer looks intimidating. Dark, thick, no bubbles of safety. Such a small, innocent little bottle- but I doubt this is at ALL innocent. Nose is way, way potent, I can smell it from feet away. Dark fruits, and alcohol. Good LORD the potency.

Taste is... wow. Alcoholic and... dang. Raisins, dark fruits. This is going to take FOREVER to get through- and I'm sharing it with someone! Seriously, it's going to take weeks. I'm sipping this like 1/4 teaspoon at a time. This is not for the weak... I, apparently, am weak. I just got my ass kicked by this. All 8 sips I was able to take.

1.03/5  rDev -65.2%

Vintage 1995. This is the worst beer I have ever had. Hands down. The only redeeming character is the color; pitch black, and almost appealing. No head, no carbonation. Aroma of ass and soy sauce. Some rotting cherry and dark fruit notes. Not good. Taste was horrible. One sip and it had to go down the drain. Not at all tolerable. It was like drinking soy sauce, bloody urine and ink all at once. Mouthfeel was quite penetrating; the flavors quickly dominated the palate and left little room for salvation. Had a kind of vinegar quality to it. Drinkability - nil. You can have it, i'll stick to more traditional beers.

THE BLOODHOUND FACTOR: Do you really think I'd ever subject my dogs to this stuff?!

3.96/5  rDev +33.8%

Vintage 1994-I bought 2 bottles the week this came out. 12 years later here we are! Black in color. No noticeable carbonation level. Rather average in appearance. The aroma is quite a different story. Oak and sherry combine in a huge assault on the nose. Very, very vinuous. Licorice and anise notes. Flavor is much the same. Terrific sherry going on here. Very slight alcohol notes considering the abv. Not as sugary sweet as I have been led to believe. Very nice mouthfeel-well balanced body vs flavor. I have always enjoyed this brew. Its a true sipper. I have said that about quite a few beers but this one for sure. Not as drinkable as a World Wide Stout. The sherry can get a little tedious at times. Definately a must try at least once. Was my undoing at the Extreme Beer Fest in 2004.

2.93/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours no head at all, but smooth looking and placid. Color is black, but dark brown at the edges. It looks very thick and dark. Smell is very heavy with a chocolate malty smell with a little pepper as well. I can't get past the chocolate smell. The taste kicked my butt at first, I was felled. There is strong chocolate, plum, and coffee flavors. The taste is very spicy, I let it sit on my tongue and it bit me.

3.18/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured this into a snifter-type glass.
A dark brown/black pour with no head.
Smell of cork, chocolate, passion fruit and something like old vanilla.
Taste has very, very strong flavors; vanilla, dark fruit, musky type of earth tones.
very hard to drink. didn't taste anything like a beer...more like soy sauce and stale vanilla

EDIT:
The 1993(?) at Vail Big Beer fest was better than 1997(?) version. More harmonized and without the soy sauce characteristic

4.7/5  rDev +58.8%

Light smell of soy combined with raisins and prunes reminds me of port alcohol is present but well masked. Opaque brown with no head with no carbonation looks viscous and has legs. Tastes of raisins and molasses no detectable hops but the beer is nine years old. Smooth mouth feel syrupy, coats the palate for a long period. This is a great beer. I think it’s best out of a snifter.

2.44/5  rDev -17.6%

This was a bazaar experience! I decided to reward myself with this beer and was intrigued at the store when it they had a 1995 reserve in 2006. The cork broke when I tried to remove it and I noticed it was soaked all the way through. I'm guessing the cork was not made to last 10 years and the beer probably wasn't either. Another note... this bottle is only 8.45 ounces and it is still quite a shortfill! Dodging the specks of cork in the drink, I took a smell and it was almost like that of a tomato mixed with vinegar. The appearance is a reddish brown with absolutely no head or carbonation and the surface suggests that the beer is considering separation but hasn't. I have to say it tastes a little like blood on the front palatte and the back palatte is more of an alcohol taste

This was a great experience as it is one of the highest alcohol content beers I have had and because it is the oldest beer I have had. It is not easy to drink and now that I have rated it I'm going to get some pizza to finish the rest with. Even though this is a shortfill... it is still really hard to finish.

On a more positive note, I should mention that the bottle is quite a work of art. The cork is burried in plastic. The bottle appears black when filled and has gold lettering on it. When empty the bottle shows it's true color, which is blue.

1.03/5  rDev -65.2%

Good god. Pours a dark brown with dark golden highlights, almost like soy sauce. Absolutely no carbonation, and when I swirl the glass, leaves a slightly disturbing sticky film. Aroma of pure soy sauce, plus a little bit of pure evil thrown in. Cloying palate is horrendous - fermented maple syrup mixed with prune juice. Body is sticky sweet, with a consistency kind of like port wine. Absolutely the least drinkable beer - nay, beverage - I have ever encountered.

1.06/5  rDev -64.2%

As many other reviewers can attest, this is absolutely disgusting. I had a hard time believing the past reviews that it tastes much like soy sauce, minus the salt of course. The smell was attrocious and the mouthfeal wasn't much better. I don't mind a nice thick beer, but this was ludicrous. There's very little beer that I can say wasn't at least worth the try. But this was a total bust and the brewmaster should be ashamed of himself.

2.61/5  rDev -11.8%

Sampled from the 1995 Vintage.

Poured the 8oz. navy blue bottle into a snifter, the beer was a dark brown/dark ruby color with no carbonation, no head, no lacing, and no signs of being a beer. From what I've read, this is to be expected.

The smell is laced with alcohol upfront as well as dark fruits like plum, fig, and prunes. Slight chocolate, vanilla, and maple in the nose as well. No decernable malt or hop present in the nose.

The taste is very alcoholic and very warming, even more so thatn its 17.5% would indicate. A syrup consistancy with maple, chocolate, and brandy flavors. Red wine, figs, plums, and soy are also in the taste.

Medium body with a syrup like coat of the palate.

This is not one I cared for. Certainly different (news to no one) but the flavors were just not appealing to me. I don't hate the beer, but I'm not about to rush out and by it again soon.

3.96/5  rDev +33.8%

Bottle of '95...
Appears a molasses color black with a mild red tint. No head, lacing, or carbonation to be seen.
Smell is of cocoa powder, brandy, molasses, oak, raisins, vanilla, caramel, and maple.
Taste is hardcore of the same aromas. Much more of a cordial than a beer but a fine experiment.
Mouthfeel is sweet, somewhat cloying but finishes with a nice sweet raisiny note that doesn't make you pucker but lick your lips savoring the juicyness of it.
Drinkability is ok but it may lose a slight notch for not being on a drinking level with a beer. I'm not getting a whole lot of the "soy sauce" thing that people have written about. I can see where they would get it from though. It doesn't have that sour saltiness to it though which would make it unapealing to drink. Not a bad outing overall.

THIS IS ABSOLUTE CRAP!!!

a - no head very dark brown almost black.

s - smells like balsamic vinegar and soy souce. this is truly terrible smelling.

t - this is absolutely putrid!! tastes like licorice and vinegar mixed with bile and small amount of prune. maybe this is what beer tastes if the brewer was retarded. anyone that says they like this is a liar!!! EWWW.

m - god. i spit it out. i really cannot understand how anyone likes this.

d - never ever try this. ever.

i would rather have to drink bud for my entire life than ever taste this again. there's a reason they no longer make it.

4.25/5  rDev +43.6%

One of the better beers that I have ever tried. Thanks to Ernie for sharing. Dark brown-rust in color. Little in the way of head retention or lacing--fine per style. Big-time legs on the side of the glass shows good alcohols and sugars. Big aromas of prunes, raisons, dates, nuts, chocolate and sherry. Flavors of those dark fruits show up front, along with port wine, soy sauce, brown sugar, and molassas to name a few. Big body and chewy texture coats the mouth and turns into a long lasting finish and aftertaste. It's a sipper--you won't want to drink it fast.

1.6/5  rDev -45.9%

Right now I’m attempting to drink a 1995 vintage. I bought this bottle back in 1998 the night my mom left my dad, I am just now bringing my self to drink it. It shows not signs of miss handling. Even if. This bottle brings back unwanted memories of samples tasted at several GABFs. This beer has a really goos chocolate mocha, raisiny/prune aroma going on. After that this thing has no characteristic of beer. It is completley undrinkable. What are brewers thinking when they make stuff like this. Can I get a Bud Light please.

1.96/5  rDev -33.8%

1994 Vintage, aged on it's side (a friend did it)
Reviewed August 2005

Pours a dark brown black with hints of ruby in the wine glass. No head at all, leaves dark stains on glass wherever it touches. It looks like syrup.

Sour soy sauce aroma hits quickly and surrounds the room, upon closer inspection some fruits seem to be boiling in the pot of soy sauce.

A sip brings the mouth first pleasant raisins, but the an overwhelming delivery of salty bitter soy sauce that stays on the palate for minutes afterwards. Most unpleasant. The alcohol is surprisingly hidden, but I think that is due to the intesity of the soy character.

Syrup. Thick heavy syrup in a glass with slick alcohol that coats everything. Brandy-esque.

I can't imagine myself ever trying this again for any reason, other than to remember. Nothing special really, exept the amazin alcohol content. Why did it come out tasting so much like soy sauce though?

4.42/5  rDev +49.3%

Vintage unknown. I do not own a snifter,so I am using my Stone IRS tulip. BAH! I cannot f#!kin believe I paid ten dollars for a glass.

This beer is flat. Still is the better word, since this is not a bad thing. It is black in color, and leaves legs on the glass like a fine Anejo Tequila, or a nice Scotch or Bourbon. The nose is of dates, prunes(not sure if those two are the same), and raisins. I left this small, enclosed room for about three minutes, and upon re-entry, could immediately smell this sucker.

The taste is huge. I notice some faint, grassy hops, but this thing is all malt. Port dominates the flavor profile, with the chocolate and dark cherries refusing to be ignored. The alcohol smacks you in the face at the same time the maple syrup lightly kisses your cheek. This warms my throat. I will stock this heavily in the winter time.

The mouthfeel is syrupy and coating. I would be dissapointed otherwise. I have no problem drinking all 8.5 ounces of this thing, although I woudn't mind splitting it. I wish I could just pick "Big Beers" as my favorite category. I must age about 24 of these.

3.45/5  rDev +16.6%

Paid $4.00 for an 8.45 oz bottle.

Appears black as night. Looks like motor oil. No head at all. Flat.

A wide array of smells are almost overwhelming. Maple syrup, burnt wood, charcoal, raisins, chocolate.

Taste alcohol. Again the taste is overwhelming. Whiskey, chocolate, raisins, maple syrup. Feels very oily, syrupy. Warming to the throat. Strong alcohol kick.

This is definitely a unique beer and a brewing achievement but not very drinkable. For $4 I'd suggest trying it just for the experience but I doubt many people will have a second.

3.7/5  rDev +25%

95' edition. I can't believe they have three cases of this stuff, bad move by the shop owner, he will be lucky to see it go in ten years.

In all honesty splitting a bottle of this three ways was a very good idea. Big black used oil color no head no carbonation. The smell was enough to put people off, strong salty char, wrong yet some how right. It has a quality like spent wood ash and burnt sugar. The taste is definate wood ash and I have tasted the charcoal remains of wood, but there is more to this beer. Something is still alive in there, a dark fruit soaked in alcohol that burned its way out. A full coating mouthfull this beer is a long sipper and each sip brings something new. Enjoy it slowly or run in horror.

2.69/5  rDev -9.1%

Appearance: Black. No foam, no lace...There you have it. It looks like a light weight motor oil in my glass. I don't know if this is what a "triple bock" should look like or not.

Aroma: Rich and syrupy aroma. There is deep roasty/toasty notes going on among some noticeable alcohol. As it warms, the aroma smells a lot like I would imagine that concentrated prune extract would smell like.

Taste: Oh my God! Rich and syrupy. I don't think that I notice any hops among the monstrous malt, and alcohol that dominates the profile. Residual sweetness hangs well into the finish, and leaves your spine with a sensation kin to fingernails on a chalkboard. Whew!

Opinion: You gotta give the guy style points for coming up with a "beer" like this. It's something you should try, but it's not something that I will seek out in the future...having experienced it once this lifetime.

1.38/5  rDev -53.4%

As always I was excited to try a new Sam....having not read any reviews I had no idea what to expect. I had never had a triple bock, but I did imagine a beer. This, my friends, is no beer. It is a condiment gone bad, liquified in the sun.

Appearance-wise, it is thick black with no head and no carbonation.

The smell is not pleasant...sugary soy sauce.

The taste is vile. My advice is to take very small sips if you are going to try it. Tastes syrupy and sweet...overly so in both. I can't taste any hops, any alcohol....in fact I really can't taste anything other than soy sauce.

I don't like this at all. I am not even going to finish it. As I mentioned earlier I have no frame of reference for what a triple bock is like, nor I understand what Jim Koch was going for here. What I do know is I will not try this beer again.

1.38/5  rDev -53.4%

A really overwhelming product. Not a beer by my understanding. Dark, opaque black color. Smell mostly of burnt sugar; no hops evident at all. I couldn't stand the taste. So sweet that I couldn't even taste any alcohol. The maple syrup, molasses and raisin flavors dominate. Very syrupy consistently and totally flat-no carbonation detected. Not drinkable at all. I couldn't even finish the small snifter I was served. I'm not sure what the brewer was trying to accomplish but it doesn't work for me.

3.09/5  rDev +4.4%

the bottle with no date (97?)

"ale brewed with maple syrup"

fabled soy sauce appearance. good lacing, if an orange flourescent clear sludge stuck to my glass counts as lacing. look at the empty bottle in the light, youll know what i mean. no foam at all. flat as f*ck.

nose is not dissimilar to soy sauce, but most of that is association with a super sweet wood.. corrupted with the sourness of age. fermented maple syrup might sum that up nicely. a deep breath actually burnt my eyes.

sweetly accented and absolutely no sign of alcohol in the flavor.. an achievement in itself. burnt sugar hints prevail against a malty smoke flavor. rings loud of blackberry brandy. recommended no cooler than room temperature. raw vanilla bean in the aftertaste as well as the aforementioned syrup... pancakes and all. besides the offputting aroma, this beer isn't as scary and bad as most BAs make it out to be.

a SLOW sipper but enjoyable nonetheless

3.67/5  rDev +24%

Cool Bottle. No head. Serious legs.

Smells like sherry with Marzipan mixed in. Marzipan makes me sick but I kinda like the smell.

Sweeter than soy sauce. Soy Sauce+Sherry with a little chocolate? I like soy sauce. I like sherry. I like chocolate. I like Triple Bock. Maybe not as much as the previous three.

Smooth, warming, slightly astringent.

Not really very drinkable. Sippable maybe.

Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)