Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale) | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale)Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale)

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001

Ratings: 2,097 |  Reviews: 979
2.4/5  rDev -34.8%

I have no idea why breweries brew more than one style of beer and slap different names on them? Anyway, Sam Adam's Boston Ale pours a reddish-copper color. The aroma resembles mostly malt with some hint of alcohol in the background. The taste is much of the same. There's that sweetness at the beginning that I also noticed in the Pale Ale. Still too much malt flavor for my liking. It feels to me like SA didn't really try on this beer and that's never a good thing. I hope SA doesn't decide to make an IPA because so far, their Pale Ales are too similar and unimpressive.

2.42/5  rDev -34.2%

I've had this bottle of Boston Ale for over a year. I bought a 6 pack and tried one and hated it. I used four for my barbecue which came out great. I had one more left that I forgot about and decided to drink it for opening day of the Major League Baseball season.

I poured the beer into a glass and got very little head. The color is a reddish brown and clear with hops floating around in the beer. Don't care for the smell. I smell a nutty to carmel scent that is very loud and not attractive.

When drinking the beer I noticed that the beer is light and almost watery like a lager. You get the carmel to nutty taste that goes away as you drink it down. This beer will do in a pinch but, its not something that I would buy again. Kinda like drinking butterscotch.

2.43/5  rDev -34%

A - Poured light amber with a pretty impressive head. When faded the lace hung around with more than just a film.

S - Smelled of malts with a slight plum undertone on the backend.

T - Mix of malts and hops that was very even and balanced. Alcohol was somewhat apparent with bitterness too.

M - Good average mouthfeel. Suited the flavor output of the beer. Just in the middle weight wise.

D - I expected more flavor out of this beer rather than the watered down taste it presented. Not sure if I had a bad bottle or not but I will try this beer and if necessary modify my review.

I would not drink this regularly.

2.43/5  rDev -34%

This brew’s average appearance, with a reddish-gold body and a misty white head, is its best feature. The subtle aroma of dried hopes wasn’t too bad – but the watery brew went down hill from there. Stale, or over-dried hops dominated the flavor, all but silencing hints of caramel malts. Remarkably, low taste brew retained notes of the quintessential S.A. house flavor. While I could drink a fair amount of this brew, I don’t see why I’d try.

2.46/5  rDev -33.2%

Pale golden color, clear. One finger frothy head.

I couldn't detect much aroma, but the beer was very cold. A bit of hops I guess.

I tasted some roasted malts with oliy hop. The after-taste was stale and bitter.

Not sure whether all of this was the bar's fault or the brewer's, but not a good time. I will try the bottle at some point and re-review.

2.48/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

Samuel Adams Boston Ale (Stock Ale) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)