Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Read the review
Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Bock

Added by TinusTime on 11-20-2003

Reviews: 1,176 | Ratings: 2,909

It had the color of a chocolate labrador retreiver (brown with a reddish tint). The head was light brown and foamy and lot of it. It smelled chocolately and spicy. There was a sweet chocolate taste, not bitter chocolate. Super smooth. There was a little aftertaste of roasted malt or something smoked. The mouthfeel was not too thin and not too thick. It was a good bock. Pricey.

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

Actually was able to try this brew on tap at Mahars a few nights ago. I was very surprised to see it on tap as I thought it was only to be bottled but I am not complaining! It surprised me again as I had forgotten the taste from the bottled one I had back in March timeframe. It pored to a nice deep dark brown, almost hedging on black with a nice tan head that slowly faded to lacing that lasts for most of the beer. The aroma is chocolaty along with roasted malts! The taste reminds me of a chocolate milkshake, as it is mostly all about the chocolate with a smallish but distinct roasted malt flavor. The feel of this brew is quite creamy with a medium body. Overall this is a nice brew and was glad that I was able to experience it again. I will be looking for this in the future but the price of the bottle is a bit scary! On tap it was much more manageable at $5 for a pint.

This beer's color is near black in color. The head is thick but quick to dissipate. Very nice chocolate smell. The taste is chocolate up front, malty finish, back to chocolate for the after-taste. This is a great beer that I would love to have again, unfortunatly the price is quite extreme. I can get a 750 of my favorite trapist ale for about half the price.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

The beer pours a deep dark brown color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It is rich with chocolate and crystal malts. It is creamy and very pleasant. The taste is awesome. It is thin on mouthfeel, but rich in chocolate flavor. It goes down easy and finishes like a chocoalte milkshake; very nice. The mouthfeel is near perfect. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a great beer. I love everything about it. It is incredibly smooth and full of flavor; a chocolate lovers dream.

4.82/5  rDev +31.3%

It's been a while since I've had this one, but I remember it like it was yesterday. That was one gorgeous bottle. Poured a very dark brown color with a tan head that dies off pretty quickly. The aroma is almost all chocolate with a little sweet malt thrown in. The flavor had a very nice chocolate character to it and it leaves some dark and roasted malts around toward the end. Extremely smooth and a full, thick body. I could drink this beer all day and all night.

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

Let me start by saying that this is a great tasting beer that I will never have again. The beer is great but the price is way too high. It was a nice dark brown beer with a light tan head. There wasn't a real distnct smell, it just smelled like a bock with a hint of chocolate. There was a very nice chocolate flavor, but it was a sweet chocolate, not the bitter chocolate some stouts have. Mouthfeel and drinkability were great. Unfortunately the price is absolutely ridiculous.

4.53/5  rDev +23.4%

While I'm not a big fan of Sam Adams brews in general, I just had to try this. There's no doubt the packaging had something to do with it, as the bottle is now a pretty cool looking flower vase. The first pour, right to the last, was nice. The creamy head lasted till the very end. Even in the smokey atmosphere of the bar the nose can pick up the roasted malts, along with the fruity, cocoa/chocholate aroma. This is one smooth beer. The light hop, roasted malt, chocolate flavor is incredible. I had to do a double take to make sure this was an Adams creation.
After downing one 750 ml I ordered up another. My wife, not a beer drinker, tried it and loved it. So we shared. Before I knew it the second bottle was gone. I decided on just one more because now a friend had arrived and, nice guy that I am, we split the last one three ways.
Tab Time. WHAT THE @%&*!!!! Twenty two dollars a bottle!! While I enjoyed the hell out of this beer, and would certainly like to have this around for the holidays, 66 bucks for three beers is a lot of jingle. After the three bottles I didn't seem all that buzzed up so I checked. At only 5.60 ABV this has to be the most expenive beer brewed anywhere. I'm glad that I can say I tried probably one of the best chocholate bocks out there. However, that is one insulting price. Someone ought to resurrect Sam Adams and show him what this stuff costs. He'd probably say, " Look at what they're charging for this beer. The hell with the tea tax. Let's dump the bock in the bay."

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

Bottle: Poured a light black beer with a huge foamy off-white head with good retention. Aroma is a mix of roasted malt, coffee/chocolate and subtle floral malt – very nice. Taste is quite incredible and can be describe as mix between Ayinger Celebrator and Rogue Chocolate Stout without too much hops, which reduce the bitterness and create something quite delicious. OK, probably a bit expensive but still would not mind to have this well balance beer once again.

3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

Fancy bottle with best before June 2005 printed on the label. Pours a chestnut color, with some ruby highlights. Thick tan creamy head which stayed for a good length of time, and left some nice patchy lace on the sides of the glass. Nice roasty smell, with hints of chocolate. Darker malt flavors, but not approaching a stout. Sweet chocolate flavor at the end, some bitterness but maybe due to the roasty flavors. Medium body with very low carbonation. Feels kind of slick, and maybe a bit creamy. Nice experiment. Probably not too drinkable but good with dessert or a special event. It is pricey, but probably worth trying.

4.4/5  rDev +19.9%

Wow from start to finish. The packaging is so nice I hate to open the bottle. It pours a deep brown color that shines garnet in the light. The head is light brown and leaves a little lacing. Tha aroma is all chocolate malt and then yeast. The flavor is definitely cocoa, but the roasted malts are not forgotten. The mouthfeel is silky and lingers with the flavor of chocolate (duh). This beer goes down really easy, the 750ml. bottle suddenly doesn't seem big enough.

3.87/5  rDev +5.4%

As Sheepnutz gave this beer to me last November to celebrate my 39th birthday, so too do I drink this Boston Beer product in honor of the Boston Red Sox to celebrate their most historic comeback, unmatched in all of baseball history. A momentous occasion for review # 300. Well done, Sox. This Bock's for you.

Appearance - pours a dark ruby brown with almost 3 foamy fingers of tan head. Mmmmm...

Aroma - a restrained crackery malt nose. Some faint chocolate, getting slightly more aromatic as it warms. Overall a little underachieving considering the grandiose of the bottle and all.

Taste - thick malt base sets up a sweet chocolate middle. The swallow allows some roasted malt flavor in and delivers a finish that has lingering chocolate sweetness alongside warm coffeelike roastiness. A fine taste, yet somehow I was expecting more.

Mouthfeel - silky smooth, like velvet, truly the one area of the profile that lives up to the billing. Moderate carbonation is right on target, a wonderful residue that prolongs that taste experience.

Drinkability - somewhat below the top shelf experience I anticipated, but a delicious bottle of beer nonetheless. Thanks, Ryan!!

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

Dark brown with amber hues and a moderate beige head. Cocoa powder aroma and flavor dominates with little else to describe; no complexity. Medium bodied with a gritty cocoa powder texture; a bit lighter than I would have liked considering the name.

Interesting but definitely not worth the pricetag.

Per label: "Beer with cocoa and natural flavors"

Per BBC website: Tettnang Tettnanger and Spalt hops. Malts two row Pale, Munich and caramel. The chocolatiers at Scharffen Berger crafted an exclusive blend of chocolate made with cocoa beans from Ghana called forastero. Chocolate Bock was aged on a bed of this chocolate to create its unique layers of flavor. A hint of vanilla was added.

Enjoy Before: June 2004
Tasted: 10/09/04

(25.4 oz champagne style bottle)

I have to thank my good buddy Chad for smuggling this big, expensive bottle into Utah. I believe he was dutifully repaid with 7 powder days on the slopes. Anyway...
Poured a varnished mahogany brown with a med.-sized light brown head. Good lacing.

Smell had a nice fruit-toffee bock character, with undeniable chocolate/cocoa fumes. Maybe a slight dark chocolate bitterness, too.

Taste was similar to the smell. Rich, dark fruit flavors come forth, followed by a not-too-overpowering chocolate--more of a dark chocolate--flavors. Finishes with some chocolate/coffee bitterness. Pretty smooth, creamy feel, and luckily, not too carbonated. Not as mediocre and gimmicky as I expected, but gimmicky nonetheless! Also, a touch too expensive.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

I've had this beer a few times before and it's quite past it's recommended dating (June 2004). I'm sure it's the same. It pours a nice clear, mahogany brown with an initally fluffy light tan head that subsides into a thin collar. Rich chocolate notes beneath a lightly astringent, malty single bock. Slight yeast notes. Starts woth a bit of malt smoothness and finishes with a bit of astringecy and rich, dark chocolate, sometimes suggestions of powdered Ovaltine. I'm not suggesting the freshness dating is a sham, it just tastes the same as when I had it a few months ago. Pretty enjoyable, the chocolate can be overbearing at times, as well as the pricetag.

3.72/5  rDev +1.4%

Bottled clearly labled "Best before June 2004" and its now September so I'm sure this review is off a bit.
Poured a deep deep ruby red. Only had about a one finger head and it faded rather quickly. Not much lace to speak of.
Smells of a rich roasted malt with chocolate, coffee, and a bit of vanilla.
Very unique taste. Almost instantly you get a nice chocolate flavor followed by some slight hop bitterness and finally a nicely roasted malt.
Its mouthfeel is a bit heavy just to sit around drink. Not super drinkable on its own, but still decent enough to enjoy alone. Although it would be much nicer shared with some good friends.
Not super complex but well worth the $15 I paid for it. Not to mention the bottle will look really cool in my wife's china hutch.

4.23/5  rDev +15.3%

Well, figured I would finally break down and do my 100th Karma point, what better than chocolate and beer to do it with?

Poured a lusciously dark chocolately brown that lets no light through most of it, except when you hold it towards the light, you can see a bit of rootbeer color shining through. The thick, beautiful, light caramel/khaki head settled down to leave only a thickish covering about a quarter inch thick.

Scented heavily of molasses. Thick and sweet. Oakiness. Light scent of chocolate malts in there... but it seems to be more the sweet, heavy, molassassy smell that I get.

Thick and creamy, bit of foaming up in your mouth... Feels a bit like a melted milkshake for the body.

Tastes of chocolate malts, touch of vanilla beans, bit of oakiness in there maybe? Bit of darkened toast in the aftertaste. Slight cola flavor. The sweetness is not overwhelming, just noticable. The flavors are not as intense as I would have expected. Guess I thought there would be a blast of chocolate, this is more on the level of a chocolate fountain soda... Don't get me wrong, this is good stuff.

Drinkability, well, this is sooo not a session beer. Bit too heavy for that. I had heard that it was not a bottle to sit down by yourself with. My beerbud that gifted this to me (thanks o'blithering one!) said he sipped his for about 3 hours! But I was feeling a bit greedy, and really find this a nice one to sip by yourself and relax with. Good for a couple tulips full when relaxing at home. Would not think about having it when about to head out for playtime!

Nice presentation with the bottle, yeah, no points given for it, but it does look pretty impressive!

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

This was a ruby-red beer with a good head, creamy and with lace rings on the glass as I drank.

The aoma was of rich malt, a slight amount of hops, and a light hint of chocolate (but not as much as I expected).

The taste was complex and many-layered... a slightly bitter foretaste, followed by a coffee taste, then fading into smooth chocolate. Quite interesting.

I am glad I finally got to try it... not sure it was worth $14.99 for the bottle, but at least I've tried it now.

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a dark black/brown, topped with a foamy large bubbled khaki head, leaves webs of lacing.
Chocolate, with some coffee in the aroma, cream/milk. Reminded me of dutch process cocoa powder.
A bit acrid at the tip of the tongue, rich creamy milk chocolate taste. Full malt base to the flavor. Pretty much tastes like a chocolate malted milk.
Full bodied and creamy, just a desert beer and for the amount I enjoyed drinking that bottle would serve 8-10 people.

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

The beer poured deep amber brown with a huge and lasting brown head that laced the glass.

The aroma was chocolate and caramel. The chocolate aroma had a cocoa character and also a bittersweet note. The aroma also contained dark fruits.

The flavor was chocolate with coffee and cocoa. The chocolate flavors are excellent and well blended with the coffee. Dark fruit flavors also blend in the flavor. Caramel flavors are present in the maltiness as well.

The finish was just dry with chocolate, caramel and a slight coffee lasting through the aftertaste. The body was medium to medium light and a bit disappointing.

25.4 ounce bottle. Best before June 2004.

4.52/5  rDev +23.2%

Pours a deep red-black color with one finger of head. A little bit of lacing on the glass. The smell is rich and malty, almost smells like mocha espresso. Very nice aromas. The taste is smooth and rich with lots of malty sweetness and a great chocolate flavor. Everything blends together so well. Fantastic. The mouthfeel is fairly thick and strong. The drinkability is good too. A nice chocolatey treat!

4.13/5  rDev +12.5%

When first presented with an $18 bottle of beer, thoughts raced through me beer mind such as "Should I buy this?" So, the most expensive bottle of beer is about to be poured now, and again my thoughts are mixed. Over-rated junk? Delicious dessert? Hmmm...

Giant buh-lack 1 pt & 9.4 fl. oz tall glass soldier with "Enjoy before June 2004" on the label. Scant fizz creaks out from under the cap. Fills me Flying Fish tulip glass with a surprisingly slightly see thru burgandy, ruby, purple pour. When held up to the light, some glow emerges through. The head is a khaki tan tight, rock solid 1" head that drifts to a more manageablw 1/4" coating. Bubble beads rise and stick to the glass interior. Spider web lace creeps across the glass.

A few swirls to release some olfactory enticing notes brings a port like Sam Adams Triple Bock like suggestion first. Next scents are of gentle roasted malts and cake and biscuit dough. No afterscents pervade. Scents are of the ilk of a double-bock nature with some burnt coffee, cocoa powder and prunes or dates escaping as well. Not an overpowering scent, mind you.

First swigs: An actual chocolate ice cream like feel and flavor dominate the tongue. Chocolate milk like a Hershey's chocolate milk powder mixed with creamy milk take over the beer reigns here. The flavor is rich via milk chocolate and creamy expensive chocolates that are overpriced in usually sampler boxes. Creamy smooth milk chocolate flavors overwhelm any chance of the vinousness arising.

Another surprise is the mouthfeel. Not the thickest beer, but full bodied nonetheless without question. Points hit the skids on drinkability. A half of a tulip and bloating hits me like a Thanksgiving dinner. We still got 3/4 of a big bad bottle to go.

Last swigs: My tongue is laffin' - my wallet is cryin'. A chocolate lovers dream, albeit pricey at $18 a dose. Not sure how this is a bock beer technically. Feels and drinks like a chocolately porter. SAMMY A'S Chocolate bock is the first bottle ever that I can't just chuck into the garbage. The bottle and label are a virtual piece of Americana Sub-culture Art.

Beer is good. Happy complex chocolate beering.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours with decent head, but doesn't leave much lace. Brown with ruby tint. Cocoa and coffee in the nose. The mouthfeel is little underwhelming. The chocolate and roasty malts balance nicely, but there is a slight hint of sourness in the finish. This is not a $15 beer, but was still worth trying.

2.99/5  rDev -18.5%

A bit pricey at 15 bucks a bottle but I decided to pick it up anyway. This pours out a brown color with reddish highlights and a good looking tan head that quickly drops to a ring of bubbles. All I could detect in the aroma is chocolate and maybe a touch of roasted coffee. Chocolate is dominant in the flavor with hints of roasted malts and coffee stirring about but not much else. I love chocolate and beer but the taste just wasn’t doing it for me. Mouthfeel was a bit thin and well carbonated. Drinkability was fairly low as I was getting sick of the taste and had trouble finishing the bottle. Not something I would try again for that price but not a bad beer.

2.78/5  rDev -24.3%

Slightly transparent medium brown with a persistant light tan head. Lots of chocolate malt(not chocolate and malt) nose. Mildly remeniscent of Michelob Amber Bock. Lots of chocolate, both milk and dark throughout the palate. Malt component is completely gone. Mild, smooth and long finish. To me, this is not a beer. Might as well be a cold glass of hot chocolate. If I knew what I would have gotten for my $16, I would have passed. Tasty, but not impressive by any means.

P.S. Nice bottle.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

This beer appears dark brown but has a definte ruby tint when held up to the light. The head started out big and tan but then quickly disappeared. The aroma is light chocolate and maybe a hint of coffee but not much else. At first the chocolate flavor jumps all over your tongue but quickly slides away leaving a slight hint of a bock beer on the finish. If I were a chocoholic then I would LOVE this beer. I am not. So I do not feel it was worth the Price $14.99. A decent brew but not exceptional.

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)