Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Read the review
Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Bock

Added by TinusTime on 11-20-2003

Reviews: 1,193 | Ratings: 2,967
2.77/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

fancy bottle and slickly marketed by sam, so i had a feeling it would be expensive, but i was still shocked to see $25 ring up on the register. simply outrageous. i opened it on new years as a special occassion, but it was far too heavy and really slowed us down.

some chocolate does come through in aroma, but not the taste. some unusual tastes do come through, like vanilla and sweet figs, rather than the traditional layers of malts. absolutely not worth the money.

4.05/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle (a part of the winter mix pack) into an irish style pint glass.

A - This beer pours pitch black in appearance, but is actually a very dark ruby red when held up to the light. This beer generates a very cratery and marshmallowy 4 finger head. This beer appears to have no carbonation, and leaves some very nice lacing on the glass.

S - The smell of this beer is surprisingly more malty than chocolatly. Not overbearing, but not bad. Not really much else to say.

T - The taste of this beer is not very strong, but fairly rich and balanced in flavor; with the chocolate and malts going hand in hand. The chocolate flavor here isn't as bitter as some chocolate stouts can be, but still very rich and milky tasting. The alcohol is not noticable at all in the taste.

M - The mouthfeel is very velvety. Which is pretty traditional of most of bocks, especialy the way Sam Adams does them. This beer is medium-full bodied, but not too syrupy. This bock goes down very very smooth.

D - The drinkability of this bock isnt as intense as some of the other bocks Sam Adams has to offer, like the Double, or even some of the Imperials they have, but still fairly low. This is not the kind of beer one should just slug back. This is one that can be enjoyed with a nice dessert, or by itself. But 2 of these should be enough to not feel overwhelmed.

O - Overall this is a pretty solid release from Sam Adams, but at the same time not something to go absolutely crazy over either. Its just a shame this is not released in 6 packs. I would certainly consider buying a 6er of this if they had it. Would def recommend. Solid 1 thumb up.

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

Picked this up as a christmas present for my lady. Wonderful person that she is, she decided to split it with me.

I liked this beer quite a bit, much more than I thought I would. Others on this site disagree, but to me it tasted better than the bottle of celebrator I had a few days ago.

Appearance: roasted nut brown. borders on black, but quite brown when the light shine through. Pour produced almost no head; the only head I get comes from the chimay logo etched in the bottom of my chalice.

Smell: Alcohols, roasted caramel and nuts, perhaps the slightest hint of chocolate

Taste. The best 5.6 ABV beer I have had in a long time. Very complex. When cool their is a stout-like roasted flavor which gives way to chocolate undertones and slight bitterness. As it warms molassess and carmel flavors are brought out, but never in excess. Once it approaches room temp, something is lost, the sweetness begins to dominate. Alcohols come out, which is pleasant, but so does a bitterness which is not right in this beer.

Mouthfeel: Right thickness, slight tingle, fun to roll around on your tongue. Always have a hard time coming up with something to say here.

Drinkability: If price where not an issue, my fridge would consistently be stocked with this beer. But an $13 a 750, I can't afford to. My first five in drinkability. My reasons
1. Its darn tasty.
2. The tastes are not ones that will overwelm your pallete quickly, as hops do.
3. at 5.6 ABV, you could drink quite a bit of this

Seek this one out, and forgive Sam Adams for making a Light beer.

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

Drank this brew out of an Ommegang snifter-like goblet. Poured a very dark, almost porter-like brown with ruby highlights. An inch of head forms, dissipates with relative ease and leaves behind a bit of lace. Pretty nice looking beer. The smell was light in fragrance of roasted malt bordering on coffee and semi dark chocolate, not punching you in the nostrils but just enough to let you know it's there.

Surprisingly, i enjoyed the flavor of this beer when it was on the colder side because the chocolate and sweetness was a little more subdued. It is definitely a chocolate beer before it is a bock which isn't good or bad. As it warmed up i started getting more of an unpleasant, generic chocolate flavor more reminiscent of tootsie rolls which i find is common amongst chocolate beers (southern tier and rogue for example). I can't help but think that something like this can be remedied by adding a little more roasted barley and more chocolate malt than real chocolate. Of course none of that really matters if the majority of the population appreciates the chocolate flavor of a tootsie roll, after all i am a bit of a chocolate snob therefore i won't hold that against this beer in my review. Moving on, as it begins to warm even more, it starts to become cola like and this is where i think a bit more in the hop department might have helped. It's not exactly cloying but almost.

The body of this beer is okay for a bock, maybe just a little on the thin side but i've had thinner bocks for sure. The carbonation is also okay for a bock but just right for the body of this particular bock.
This beer wasn't bad but i have to mention that i have had the original that was sold in 750ml bottles and more recently an '04 vintage that was really fantastic. This just wasn't as good nor did i expect it to be.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights. Creamy head quickly dissipates into a milky haze with tight lacing. Smells of raspberries, cranberries, bread, and sweet milk chocolate. Taste is big on fruit in the front and finishes with a round, semi-sweet chocolate flavor. Mouthfeel is prickly and medium. Drinkable and tasty, but I don't know if I'd have more than two in a night.

3.87/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Black body with some reddish tones. Thin head, some of the lacing hangs around.
S - Sweet, a definite dark chocolate presence.
T - Sweet malt, very chocolatey with a hint of caramel and coffee.
M - Carbonation almost non-existant. Very rich.
D - As a beer, its very drinkable. However, the price in my opinion hurts the drinkability. It is significantly over-priced in my opinion.

3.77/5  rDev +2.7%

a. pours into glass almost liquid back. a nice off white head hangs around for a little, then all but disappears leaving very little lacing.

s. the smell is very potent, don't even need to try, its unavoidable. lovely coffee and chocolate scents, although a bit shallow (like candy chocolate), not complex, but nice.

t. nice sweet chocolate, more bitterness would help to balance the sweetness i think. coffee lingers in the aftertaste, as well as that typical "sam adams" taste which is hard to describe. Not complex or deep, but tasty.

m. thin coating of chocolate, carbonation relatively low.

d. very drinkable at 5%. nice mellow, nothing special, chocolate bock.

3.97/5  rDev +8.2%

This is another selection I got with my Sam Adams "Winter Classics Variety Pack."

This is one that you'll love or you'll hate...depends on whether you like the chocolate taste, and enjoy dark beers.

The chocolate Bock pours a very dark brown, with amber/reddish highlights. Surprisingly "clear" for such a dark beer. The foam is a bubbly tan head that starts out fairly thick. The head dissipates fairly quickly, and leaves minimal sptty lacing on the glass.

The aroma of this brew is very nice. There is a bready dark malt smell, as well as a hint of chocolate and a definite sugary caramel whiff. I even got some vanilla now and then while drinking.

First and foremost in the taste is the chocolate. The flavor reminds me of the kind of chocolate taste that I used to get when I would mix my Nestle Quik with milk as a kid. There are some malt flavors, and a hint of that vanilla I smelled, but mostly ist's the chocolate. The nice thing is that the chocolate flavor is not overwhelming. Certainly not a beer that you would sit down and drink six of...but a very pleasant winter beer.

This selection has a very creamy feel on the tongue. The beer is not very carbonated, and the liquid just slides around in your mouth.

I have always been a big bock fan. And this delivers as a classic lightly hopped holiday brew. If you don't like the sweet chocolate taste, this brew is not for you...but for a cold winter's day, this is a nice seasonal.

4.74/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Love this stuff. All the wonder of a great porter (yes I’m aware it’s not classified as such) without the thickness or heavy mouthfeel. Chocolate is subtle yet great. Smell and taste both are amazing. I could drink several of these at a time, but unfortunately BBC makes them difficult to get.

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Rich and chocolatey, with caramel malt flavors. Foamy and frothy with a smooth, velvety finish. Not something I could have more than one of at a time, but very nice for a special occasion.

3.24/5  rDev -11.7%

This beer was found in the Sam Adams winter mix pack. Poured into my 1 liter Paulaner dimple mug, the reason for this is that after this beer going to try and destroy a good chunk of homebrews lying around. Anyway on to the bock

A: Pours a brownish, blackish color with a amber hues on the side. Head was a khaki color with very small bubbles that didn't last at all.

S: Has a grainy, earthy, like really raw sweetish cocoa smell going as well. Has a faint hint of butter as well. So far so good.

T: All right this little guy starts off with sweet malts, transitions into a drying astringint quility. Then kicks of with the earthy cocoa on the back end for sure. Weird don't know what to make of this beer, I'm enjoying the rawness of the cocoa, but isn't smooth or malty like most bocks. Kinda has an English porter thing going here, the problem is I like them porters.

M: Sits on the lighter side for a bock, also has a harshness to it that eventually is taken over by the dry cocoa that coats the mouth. This beer feels dirty to me, take that for what it is.

D: This beer is tough, for a one off special after dinner treat I like the flavors, but anymore than one its to dry and has a dirty not clean or bock likeness that I'm starting to find appalling, because of the name.

Sam Adams need to name there beers in the style the brew them. Just like there Cranberry offering they label a lambic this one is a chocolatey porter not a German brewed bock.

3.98/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Fresh from a bottle into a bock glass. Pours dark, but not a head like a Guinness. Otherwise it is a very nice beer with some good solid cocoa notes. A good example of its type.

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

Yes I got this from the wonderful Winter Mix Pack, and poured it into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass(Yes I am that guy that insists on matching beers with there breweries pint glass) but back to the review.

A: It pours a deep rich chocolaty brown almost black, with a head that is somewhere between a white and a tan. The head disappears rather quickly leaving no lacing.

S: Guess what, yep that's right this one had a rather chocolaty smell to it with a m ix of malts and a hint of nut.

T: Nothing to over powering in the taste department some malts and chocolate, with what i can only describe as a nutty finish.

M: It has a very smooth medium body with a nice touch of carbonation.

D: All in all this was a very drinkable beer, i could easily see myself sitting down on a cool winter night and putting down 5 or 6.

3.46/5  rDev -5.7%

Well pours a two to three finger head that dissipates into a thin frothy foam at the top of the beer that hangs on throughout. Is very dark.

Smells of slight chocolate.

Taste is a bit thin, but the chocolate and maltiness is there and very sweet.

Thin mouithfeel on this one and as mentioned very sweet.

no more than two due to the sweetness, but overall not a bad brew.

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

Been wanting to try this for awhile, had it yesterday but I was already several beers deep. Now I'm gonna try it on it's own as dessert. From what I remember, it was quite enjoyable and highly sessionable.

A- A dark almost ruby like color. Looks like dark chocolate if it was liquidified and mixed with water

S- Hints of chocolate and not much else.

T- Like literal chocolate. Yum, but I can see how it might not be chocolaty enough for some people. I think it's just right if you want to have several of them. Delcious.

M-Lightly carbonated, pretty smooth. Not to syrupy or anything. Just right

O- A tasty beer. I'd pair it with dessert, or just drink it by itself. This is a chocolate treat of a beer. Cheers!

3.31/5  rDev -9.8%

Appearance: Coffee color. Very little head.

Smell: Roasted malts and cocoa powder. Very little aroma at all.

Taste: Surprisingly subtle. Not chocolaty, like I was expecting. It's really like a very light stout. It's good, but honestly I was expecting more for the $$ I spent on it.

Drinkability: For how dark the beer is -- it's really fantastic. This beer was basically the easiest drinking stout I've ever had.

3.05/5  rDev -16.9%

I went into this beer expecting quite a bit, especially because of the price tag at around 18 dollars for a pint in a half( I Learned the price lesson quick). While creative, I wasn't extremely impressed with this brew.

Appearance- A very dark brown, obviously to simulate chocolate and a medium to small size head appears, which disappears quickly as you drink.

Smell- A sweet aroma of chocolate and malt with the customary Bavarian hops are there, but the chocolate is the main culprit in the smell.

Taste-Honestly, I expected more from this beer, but now a I look back I don't know why. The chocolate is strong, but not too strong, and the beer taste still persists. I found it hard to want to finish the bottle, as the bitterness became worse as I drank it.

Mouthfeel- Not as creamy as I initially expected, but not like the regularly brewed Samuel Adams beers. Goes down smooth initially, but I found that the bitterness didn't go well with the chocolate, and I feel that made the beer worst as I drank. The aftertaste wasn't great at all.

Drinkability- Due to the high price, and the bitterness, I might have this occasionally, but I won't find myself buying this again in the bottle form. The chocolate and beer can both be overpowering at times, and thus is hard for me to enjoy.

3.67/5  rDev 0%

Chocolate Bock

A: Deep Brown with ruby tinges in good lightning. Pours a magnificent fluffy head that fades into a fine light brown lacing.

S: The aroma was not as expected - I detected citrus rind, nutmeg, spices underlying a natural roasted malt character. There is a subtle (polar bear in a snowstorm subtle) hint of cocoa, but it is far from the dominant feature.

T: Did I just bite into a giant, carbonated Chocolate Bar? One of the reasons I love beer is how little aroma can correlate to actual taste; sometimes it can, sometimes it does no such thing. If the aroma was a short trip up the sugar and spice train, the taste was the Midnight Chocolate Express (Have you ever been to a Turkish Prison?)

The initial taste was strongly chocolate and a cascade of roasted malts; as your palate adjusts, you take in a hazlenut feel that gives it the sense of a carbonated jar of nutella; finally, after half a bottle, you're wondering if the sweet finish is beginning to taste a bit like chocolate cough syrup.

A drinkable and sweet beer, this makes an good evening dessert beer. It's almost too sweet to drink in any quantity, and I imagine after several of these you might lapse into a sugar coma.

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

A- dark color with nice lasting head

S- I could get a nice smell before I even put my nose to the glass, although all I got was chocolate, it was hard to smell anything else.

T- I was surrised by the flavor, it had a very strong chocolaty taste but wasn't to rich, I wish I could have tasted the other aspects of the beer a little more but the flavor was good anyways.

M- Nothing special for mouthfeel, it was probably the weaker aspect of the beer.

D- Why I wouldn't want to drink a few of these in a row I would still go out and seek it every once in awhile.

4.65/5  rDev +26.7%

This beer set me on a binge of chocolate stouts and other malty beers this whole winter. I went through lots of the variety packs just to get this beer, and I still have some of the my lesser favorite ones lingering around.

This is a wonderful chocolate winter beer. Hopefully, Sam Adams will continue to bring this beer to a higher profile and release it in 6/12 packs next year or even on tap.

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

I had been hearing so much about this beer i knew i had to find some, so through some friends i found a shop in my area that carried it. I was lucky because they only had two bottles left.
The one thing thing I was not to happy about in the beginning was the price tag. This beer was a steep $15 for a 750ml, so needless to say I was stingy with this beer, but a week after i had bought it i had to crack it.
The bottle was amazing with it's pewter Sam Adams label. I poured the beer into a glass a watched as this deep ruby beer filled my glass. It had a light tan head and a burnt chocolate aroma.
The first taste was a malty chocolate goodness. Smoothe in the mouth with a nice even finsh. Not something you want want to sit down and gulp,but something you want to sit down and enjoy.

3.81/5  rDev +3.8%

I'm a fan of chocolate stouts and thought the chocolate bock by Sam Adams would be a nice treat. At $15 a bottle I found it to be a little excessively priced, but since it's not produced year round I didn't really think twice about purchasing it.

The things I liked about Sam Adams Chocolate Bock were that it had a very unique flavor which wasn't masking a high alcohol content. It was very easy to enjoy with a very thin mouthfeel and more carbonation than the stouts I'm accustomed to.

With this offering I truly felt the chocolate label was taken literally. It's a sweet chocolate concoction which made me think more along the lines of a flavored alcoholic beverage rather than a dark chocolaty, but well-balanced beer.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

pours a really luxurious chocolate brown with a relatively thin, too fizzy head. fair retention, lacing.
smells pretty darned good, a nice malty top with yeast and sweetness. not much chocolate registers at all in the nose, just adds a kind of darker dimension to the expected malty sweetness.
taste is a little less exciting. a lot less roasted malt flavors than I would like to expect. very mild yeast and bread flavor, chocolate comes on strong, but, like the nose, its not overpowering.
feels way too thin, its gone before you can finish tasting it.
however it could be a great easy drinking wintertime beer, if I didnt pay 16 dollars for the bottle. the price definitely lowers the drinkability.

4.28/5  rDev +16.6%

Bottle Poured into a Pint Glass

Appearance: Very dark, slight dark amber up to the light. Off white head that laces the glass.

Smell: Dark chocolate with some sweetness.

Taste: Sweet like there is lactose in it. Definetly chocolately. Almost like chocolate milk. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, heavier mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Might get heavy feeling after a few but they go down good.

4.8/5  rDev +30.8%

WOW! This beer was fantastic! Poured very dark but not black, with reddish hues and nice thin creamy head. The aroma was sweet with rich malt and chocolate. The taste was a true delight, extremely smooth with a soft cream feel, with robust dark malt, carmel, and chocolate lingering on the tongue. The bottle drained way to fast, saddening me to no end. It is expensive and hard to find due to limited brewing, but definitely worth it. One of the best bocks I've had in a long time. The bottle remains to adorn my china hutch!

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)