Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

Style: Bock

Added by TinusTime on 11-20-2003

Reviews: 1,170 | Ratings: 2,885
4.28/5  rDev +16.6%

Bottle Poured into a Pint Glass

Appearance: Very dark, slight dark amber up to the light. Off white head that laces the glass.

Smell: Dark chocolate with some sweetness.

Taste: Sweet like there is lactose in it. Definetly chocolately. Almost like chocolate milk. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, heavier mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Might get heavy feeling after a few but they go down good.

4.8/5  rDev +30.8%

WOW! This beer was fantastic! Poured very dark but not black, with reddish hues and nice thin creamy head. The aroma was sweet with rich malt and chocolate. The taste was a true delight, extremely smooth with a soft cream feel, with robust dark malt, carmel, and chocolate lingering on the tongue. The bottle drained way to fast, saddening me to no end. It is expensive and hard to find due to limited brewing, but definitely worth it. One of the best bocks I've had in a long time. The bottle remains to adorn my china hutch!

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured into a pint glass, deep brown with a light khaki one finger head. Smells of sweet cocoa and chocolate malted grain. Great taste - dark chocolate and mild hop battering. It's a smooth taste. Mouthfeel is surprisingly light compared to the apearance, with nice carbonation. Drinkable are well. A nice beer for a snowy winter night.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a) It pours beautifully, deep dark amber/brown color. First pour had a small creamy head. Changed to wider mouth glass for second pouring and it had no head. Changed to a tall thin lambic glass and then got a 1" head so i experimented with the glass. Best appearance was in the tall thin lambic glass.

s) Light cocoa smell with hint of almond orange scent. I don't know where the orange came from but that is what it smelled like to me.

t) First it tasted like a chocolate beer with carbonation but as it sat it tasted more like a cold coffee or cold chocolate drink. I sipped it slowly so the texture changed as it sat.

m) Different, because of the carbonation it tastes like a cross between a beer and a chocolate soda. Finish is definitely slightly cocoa.

d) Light alcohol, goes great with a piece of raw chocolate cake made with raw cacao beans which is what i am pairing it with.but way overpriced.

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

I think this beer gets a bit underrated because it doesn't deliver the heavy chocolate that its name suggests. Instead of being a chocolate bomb, this has balanced flavors of chocolate, hazelnut, caramel, and fruity yeast. Medium bodied, but surprisingly creamy. A bit too syrupy-sweet to session. Impressive body and flavor for a 5.5% brew.

It's hard to say how I feel about Chocolate Bock. I was really excited for this one, and I think that this lead to my initial disappointment with it. However, after trying it again, with a more realistic mindset, I've realized this beer is actually a nice drink. It pours rich and dark with a big head. The smell was sweet and bitter together, with a strong cocoa scent and some maltiness. The taste is where it was a letdown the first time. It's fine, but I was expecting a bit more bang. It's really exactly what it's advertised as-- a chocolate bock. It tastes like a bock with some subtle chocolately flavor. Mouthfeel is smooth and not too thick. I would have it again, if I had some extra cash on me.

A- pours a deep brown but not quite black, with a very good amount of head retention

S- smells like a beer with serious cocoa involved

T- This beer goes down smooth. From start to finish you can taste the chocolate.

M- Not to carbonated, very smooth and chocolatey from start to finish. Wonderful taste for the style.

O- Really liked this beer. Not big on this style but Sam Adams hit this one out of fenway park. I would love to drink this as a dessert after a good dinner. Well Done!

3.78/5  rDev +3%

A - Black with a brown tint, quarter inch white head leaves a thin quickly dissipating head.
S - Hint of malt and sweetness, mostly chocolate.
M - Extremely creamy mouthfeel, very smooth over the tongue.
T - Slight hop bitterness up front that's overpowered by the malty sweetness and great chocolate flavor.
D - I've had an entire bottle of this before, but wouldn't want more than that. A good beer, but not enogh there to keep me wanting more.

4.45/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Saved this 750 ml bottle for New Years eve and was not disappointed. Label said I should have consumed it this summer, but 5 months later there was noticeable affect to the flavor.

As other reviews point out, its a dark brown almost black color. The aroma is sweet like cocoa. Nicely carbonated. Popping the cap loosely on after each pour kept the beer bubbly for the hour or so it took me to drink three mugs full.

I would recommend sharing one of these big bottles with someone because it was almost too chocolately after a while. I think it costs around $14 a bottle so it should be treated and enjoyed like a decent bottle of wine. It was great after dinner and fun beer to celebrate with at the dawn of a new year.

3.55/5  rDev -3.3%

A- I didn't watch the pour, but when i received it there was not head to speak of. A dark brown but not opaque color, sticks to walls and recedes like an oil slick.
S- good smelling, with some fruit and bittersweet chocolate notes.
T- Starts with chocolate malts, reminiscent of porter or stout, but then you get some soy and the bittersweet chocolate/cocoa on the finish. I feel like it combined with the sugars in the malts to make it almost taste like chocolate syrup.
M- Very dry and effervescent, with the big chocolate malts filling the mouth briefly. Dries quickly and the chocolate aroma is almost like a vapor rather than a stickiness that covers the palate.
D- I couldn't see drinking more than the 8 oz of the shared bottle I had. Once the palate receives the chocolate notes, it's quick to ignore them, and then it's like any other bock.

I only have experience with one other chocolate beer to compare this to, youngs dbl chocolate. I prefer the chocolate tastes of the later, but appreciated the way in which SA transformed the profile of the chocolate delivery. I only wish it was a little less subtle, because I feel like those who are searching for a chocolaty beer will be disappointed with this

3.1/5  rDev -15.5%

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown or black brew. There wasn't a bug head of foam on this brew. The foam was a light brown color. When held to a light you get a reddish color with is very nice.

Smell: Well it smells dark, bitter and like cocoa. It's pungent.

Taste: Wow .. bitter dark chocolate. I was expecting more of a milk chocolate I guess. Taste like almost every other Sam Adams i've had which isn't a bad thing really just wanted more out of this since it was so pricey.

Mouthfeel: Not as carbonated as i was expecting. That is actually a good thing cause sparkling chocolate doesn't sound good.

Drinkability: Well i'll finish this bottle but i don't think I'd buy it again. I like a beer that is refreshing and this isn't.

3.76/5  rDev +2.5%

Fresh bottle, poured into a 16oz stein.

Appearance: Dark, dark brown, like two shades darker than cola or root beer, with very little golden-ruby highlights when held to the light.

Smell: A little disappointing, an enticing blend of sweet/bitter chocolate, vanilla and malt, similar to a Whopper chocolate covered maltball, but a tad on the weak side.

Taste: Up front there is a burst not unlike a dark chocolate covered cherry cordial which goes quickly to a sweet milk chocolate and finishers with a brief hint of dark malt/hoppy bitterness. Leaves a dutch process cocoa powder taste, very pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Rich, but not cloying with sweetness, the fine, somewhat heavy carbonation brings a mouthfeel that's really close to the astringency of a very smooth Latin espresso.

Overall: Impressive, actually an improvement over the 2011 batch, with even more luscious chocolate over and undertones, a delicious dark, sweet bock that's not TOO sweet, a great nightcap beer.

It had the color of a chocolate labrador retreiver (brown with a reddish tint). The head was light brown and foamy and lot of it. It smelled chocolately and spicy. There was a sweet chocolate taste, not bitter chocolate. Super smooth. There was a little aftertaste of roasted malt or something smoked. The mouthfeel was not too thin and not too thick. It was a good bock. Pricey.

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured into 2 Duvel glasses which seemed appropriate to me for some reason. Color is black. When held up to light, I can see the light bulb as a red sphere, but nothing else, through the beer. Aroma and taste both are distinctly chocolate. In the foreground. This is not a subtle chocolate overtone. It's a rich and yummy dark chocolate bar dissolved into my glass. Mouthfeel is smooth, like chocolate pudding.

Very unique and quality product. I confess I was initially turned off of the whole idea of "chocolate bock", and was trying it just for the novelty/experience. But it is genuinely good. Perhaps the ultimate dessert beer. Ok not quite.. the ultimate dessert beer would be at least 11% ABV :) All in all very enjoyable.

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

Obviously this beer is way too expensive for what it is. That being said, I had one in December, and I just had another yesterday, which is why I felt like I had to review it, if only for my own benefit.

I poured it into a chalice and it had a much better, tan head than the first time I had it. The smell has chocolate, coffee, even some toffee, and the look is very much that of a porter. It also reminds me of chocolate, which I guess is appropriate.

Tasting it this time, I think it is much, much better than the first time I had it. I doubt three months of sitting did much to the taste, but maybe I just came in this time expecting less. Either way, I get a nice taste of chocolate in this beer, flavorful but not overpowering. I didn't get much chocolate last time. There is some coffee, and roasted malts. I actually like it more than I thought it did - I don't think it's too sweet or too bitter. It's not as adventurous as I had hoped, but it is definitely solid.

The mouthfeel is a little thin for a porter or however they're classifying it. I would have liked more body because I feel like it would have ended up accentuating the chocolate better. That being said, it still tastes good and is an enjoyable beer.

Product does not justify the price. I like the packaging though, I think it's good-looking and not overdone. But I wouldn't pay another $15 for this beer. There's just way better things to spend money on. I have one more of them, and I'm gonna let it sit for a while before I touch it.

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

2010 12-oz bottle from cellar, poured at homebrew club tasting.

A: clear brown liquid with a moderate beige head that disappated quickly. Minimal lacing.

S: cacao, some floral notes, light buttery.

T: chocolate, some residual sweetness, buttery in flavor as in aroma distracts from the overall presentation of the beer.

M: moderately full body, creamy and smooth.

O: I don't quite get the Bock connection, and the chocolate seems somewhat artificial. The buttery aroma and flavor does not go well with the chocolate and expected "clean" characteristics of the beer and may indicates a process problem. If this beer was truly brewed as a bock (which is typically a lager), it might benefit from a diacetyl rest to reduce the buttery component.

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a nice and dark with very little head. Aroma is combination of malt, coffee and chocolate. Has a nice slightly bitter finish. A good beer for the upcoming winter. It is a welcome addition to the Sam Adams winter pack. A suitable replacement for Cranberry Lambic.

4.53/5  rDev +23.4%

A - dark but held to light very clear. Foam was nice but min lace
S - Malts and the chocolate notes come through
T - Great. Flavoriful but not heavy. The chocolate comes through subtly but clearly. Nice.
M - Maybe its best quality. Smooth, clean finish. Only the nice flavors linger.
D - Awesome

4.32/5  rDev +17.7%

This was the second round of tasting this beer. The last was the last release 4 or 5 years ago...I can't quite remember exactly. Anyway on to the beer. I was very excited when this bock arrived at the local beer store. Needless to say I was not disappointed with this years limited release. The aroma is like that of dark roasted malt with a chocolate aroma....but there is a slight moccaish coffee aroma which catches you by surprise just before you are ready to drink the beer. The flavor of this beer is very smooth and easily drinkable. There is a light and not overpowering flavor of a finer chocolate in the finish of the beer. I would recommend this beer to anyone. I will buy some more.

4.75/5  rDev +29.4%

It's funny what beers appeal to which people. I wasn't sure how I was going to like this one when I got it as part of the Winter Sampler. But I can honestly say, this is one of the best "chocolate" beers that I have had. It pours great and has a dark brown, almost black appearance. Aroma is great and hits you with complexity and rich chocolate. It goes down very easy and makes for a great winter after dinner brew. For some, they may find it a bit sweet. However, I find it to have a deep burnt chocolate flavor that goes down extremely smooth. Keep them coming!

2.81/5  rDev -23.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a very dark brown with a thin mocha color head.

The aroma is nothing special, Faint chocolate and hops.

Taste has notes of dark chocolate and roasted malts, though it doesn't really stand out. Lightly hopped.

Light and creamy mouthfeel and a lot of carbonation. Drinkable, very easy to have a few of these.

Overall, i was disappointed by this beer. I heard so much about this beer and had very high hopes. Its not bad in anyway but its nothing I would miss once its out of season.

3.62/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12-oz bottle into nonic.

A - Pours a deep opaque brown that borders on black. Very thin cream colored head that dissolves fairly quick and leaves no lacing.

S - Chocolate and coffee dominate the nose, but in a creamy sort of way, almost like a chocolate coffee creamer. Sweet initially, but fades a bit and gives off more of a raw cocoa bitterness towards the end of the sniff.

T - Immediately milk chocolate to start off the taste, with an almost dark fruity quality that comes through as after swallowing (plum-like) which fades away to leave a sweet bready malt aftertaste.

M - Feels more carbonated than it is at the start of the sip, and then smooths out to an almost stout-like smoothness in texture towards the end.

O - If you're a fan of milk chocolate, this is a very enjoyable beer. A bit too chocolatey in spots, to the point where it seems over the top. But a good seasonal Xmas time beer as it fits in with the holidays.

3.91/5  rDev +6.5%

I looked up Scharffen Berger, the beer chocolatier here, and discovered the reason for the $13-$14 bottle. That's some pretty expensive chocolate they make! Sam Adams, of course, is pretty cheap stuff (and probably making a nice profit on this "Limited Edition Brew").
Scharffen did a nice job of putting his chocolate in Sam's beer...or Sam did a good job of putting his beer in Scharffen's chocolate....because this here's a pretty drinkable chocobock (those gals in Shonen Knife would probably like this, come to think of it).
It's dark brown (like Godiva liquor) but doesn't have that much of a smell (or have I just got too much mucus in my nose to smell it?....oh, that's gross, I know).
I'm drinking the entire 1pt 9.4fl oz, so "poohey" on those who say it's only for sipping. I'm CELEBRATING! Dammit! I can't tell you why, but it's a good day for me.
I wish I had an Andechs Dopplebock, but the syrupy, chocolaty, semi-sweet rich chocolate bock does the job just fine.
It costs a bit, and it isn't equal to most beers in it's price range, but it IS a good beer....drink it with that in mind.
(Best before March 2005 Brew - I'm drinking it in February 2005)

3.1/5  rDev -15.5%

A - Nice, dark brown with a mocha-colored head. Leaves behind plenty of sticky lacing.

S - Tons of malt, chocolate, and caramel. Smell is both sweet and bready.

T - This is where I was really let down. Classic bock taste. Tons of roasted malt flavor, but way too much caramel flavor for my taste. Could barely taste any chocolate at all.

M/D - A bit too sticky. Maybe not quite enough carbonation. The flavors just didn't really seem to blend together well IMO.

Overall, it just didn't meet my expectations when it came to taste. The $15 price was also WAAAAYYY too much for a beer like this. Not a bad beer, but it was definitely disappointing.

4.12/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from bottle into Pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark, almost pitch black. The head is typical for the Bock style with a little less than one finger of a tan color. Lacing is minimal with only a few bubbles able to really cling on.

S: The smell is fantastic, lots of cocoa comes through with notes of bittersweet chocolate, like a fine Ghiradelli or Godiva chocolate. A roasted, malty fragrance is also present and combines with the chocolate to give a nose not unlike hot cocoa.

T: The taste is good with the malted chocolate coming through in waves. It isn't quite as pronounced as the smell leads on, but is still very good. Some other notes are present as well, such as vanilla and a cream that combine to make this a pretty sweet beer, but not overly done.

M: The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. The carbonation is a bit more pronounced than in other Bock styles, but is not so much as to be "overdone".

D: When I can find it, I love to grab a few of these beers and save them for those gray, drab days of winter. This is like comfort food in a glass.

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)