Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock
3.63/5
Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Bock

Added by TinusTime on 11-20-2003

3.1

Ratings: 2,974 |  Reviews: 1,196

A-Pours a clear dark brown to pretty much black with a small light tan creamy head that has ok retention and lacing.
S-The aroma is mainly roasty and dark chocolate. It kind of reminds my of a cappuccino from the corner store, but in a good "beery" way I guess.
T-The flavor takes on a milk chocolate note as apposed to the dark chocolate in the aroma, along with some very noticable roastiness from the roasted barley.
M-It's creamy up front with a slightly dry finish. Medium body with a solid medium carbonation.
O-To me this is a good beer, but not impressive. I can taste the chocolate and that's good, but it's just a solid beer in my opinion. Very glad I tried it though to be sure.

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

4.5/5  rDev +24%

4.5/5  rDev +24%

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

2.97/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured into a beer mug.

Appearance- Poured a two finger cappuccino head; nearly black with amber tones coming through when held to the light. Head dissipated pretty quickly.

Smell- Earthy, and in all honesty reminded me of a wet dog... maybe it was me or maybe I got a bad bottle, I don't know.

Taste- Hits you with a malty chocolate flavor upfront and subsides to a metallic taste (which is distracting when it takes over). It finishes out with a nice chocolate aftertaste; kind of sweet.

Mouthfeel- Relatively smooth, but lighter than I anticipated; medium carbonation.

Overall- I couldn't decide if I liked this beer. It was like with one sip I liked it, I was enjoying the aftertaste, but after the next sip it seemed abrasive.

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

2.96/5  rDev -18.5%

A - Black with a one finger white head. No lacing.

S - Slight chocolate, mostly vanilla though.

T - Chocolate hops, that's about it though. Definitely chocolatey.

M - Lightly carbonated with a medium to heavy body.

O - Overall, not too bad but not great. I'd have again.

2.9/5  rDev -20.1%

Appearance: Brew is the color of dark chocolate. Vigorous pour yielded a decent head that faded quickly.

Smell: Chocolate is certainly there.

Taste: Initial taste reminded me Cocoa Puffs. Continues through with some small notes of hop and malt, but this is all about the chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Weighty, not thin.

Overall: Overall, it's not bad. But much too much like candy/milk left in the bowl after Cocoa Puffs are eaten. A little too much for my taste - would have like to taste some alcohol!

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.63 out of 5 with 2,974 ratings