Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock
Liked This Beer
3.63 w/ 2,974 ratings
Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

firstprev| 2901-2925 | 2926-2950 | 2951-2975  | next → last
Ratings: 2,974 |  Reviews: 1,196
3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1pt 9.4 oz bottle, with a plate shield on front instead of paper label.
Best by: 06/04

This beer poured a burgundy wine/mahogany, chocolate color, that when held to the light was crystal clear and visually well carbonated. The head that was created was beige in color, not long lasting after the pour and not very full. It quickly fell to a creamy ring on the edges and a small carbonation bubble mat in the middle just floating on the top. Some lace was present and was in sheet form. The aroma was first of chocolate milk, then light hops became present, slightly bitter aroma at times, light coffee and roasted malt. The aroma was not very strong, kind of had to concentrate for some of the smells. The flavors were of bitter cocoa, some malts, cocoa powder (dry), chocolate bar, earth tones, coffee mixed with cream, and as it finished it became slightly dry like cocoa powder was poured in my mouth, just not all the cocoa-ee, and to be honest the carbonation that I saw at the pour was not present on the tongue, kind of flat. The aftertaste was a light cocoa powder. The body was kind of light to medium. Over all impression, OK, not great, would have liked to have more distinct chocolate flavors since that is what it is named. And to be honest for the $20 that the bar threw at me, it was not worth it. Good experience, but not again. I was thinking of getting an extra bottle to take home and age, but I am afraid that it would not last past the expiration date, and I would be out $20. What a shame, such a nice bottle, and to be honest too much hype, not enough back bone.

4.08/5  rDev +12.4%

Wow, what a controversial beer! Maybe SA will check out what the BA's have to say about this beast and lower the price. Yeah, and "monkeys will fly out of my butt!" Really though, it seems that the only thing that you are paying for in this beer is the kick ass bottle. Sure, the beer is not too shabby itself, but it sure isn't worth $15. I don't know, maybe they did something special with this brew and there is a little bit of Koch in every brew. Just kidding. The taste wasn't as bad as I was expecting, actually I didn't know what to expect. It was smooth and not too rough and thick. It was a rather chocolatey experience, which I did like. I think if they upped the alcohol content, it could give it more depth, rather than chocolate alone. Sure, that's a cool thing and all(the chocolateness of the beer), but just think about the endless possibilities it beholds. I say SA keeps making this one, but tries to improve in areas where it lacks, ie depth and body. Overall a decent beer, but not worth the price of the first born.

Much thanks to my bro down in Greensboro, AKSmokedPorter. W/o him, I never would have been able to try this great brew and review it. Also, he gave me samples of the actual chocolate that they used in the beer. That was some good schtuff!!!

2.85/5  rDev -21.5%

Sam Adams needs to stick that pewter up their ass and lower the price of this one, in my opinion. Buying a big bottle, I expect so much more than this beer had to offer. Appearance: Dark brown chocolate with a nicely formed tan head leaves scattered lacing. Aroma: Nice rolling chocolate highlights with an underlying layer of fruity sweet malt derived notes. Taste: Cocoa addition is very evident soft fruit flavors with toasted malt characteristics floating along in there as well, not overly impressed throwing sixteen dollars down on a bottle it better be amazing save your self some dough and pass on this one. Mouthfeel: Seems thin going down not much of anything that special going on, but then after the first glass from the bottle it starts to sit really heavy on the stomach didn't enjoy the sensation at all. Drinkability: Is this beers major downfall, gets cloying way to fast not enough enjoyment this beer has a lot of lackluster marketing schemes going for it, but if you want a great tasting drinkable beer resist the packaging on this brew.

A deep, almost black body rests beneath a good sized head of creamy tan foam that holds well before dropping to a wide collar and cottony surface covering; and then leaves thin splashes of lace about the glass. When held to the light the body reveals crystal clear crimson and ruby hightlights that are quite attractive. The nose displays a distinct cocoa-ish note that's soft, sweet, and welcoming. The body is medium full and its very fine, moderate carbonation leaves it lightly creamy across the palate. The cocoa returns in the flavor along with a touch of nuttiness, some vanilla, a mild yeasty fruitiness, and some gentle coffee notes. It's rich but without depth; and leans towards sweetness with its bitterness kept at a minimum, yet there's still enough bitterness present to keep it from becoming cloying. It finishes dry and powdery with a wash of lingering cocoa and some subtle yeasty fruitiness. An interesting beer that would certainly pair well with many desserts; and makes a great celebratory beer as well!

Appearance: Dark brown-ruby-garnet, almost cola-like body. Foamy tan head disperses quickly to a thin rim-collar leaving creamy streaks of lace.
Smell: Sweet, toasty, biscuity malt. A stout-like earthiness and gigantic sweet-milky hot cocoa / bitter cocoa powder nose.
Taste: Lush, creamy sweet malt and milk chocolate to start. Toasted grain with burnt grain/bitter cocoa notes at the top. Finishes quite dry with bitter hops and cocoa powder in the aftertaste. Note: I found both the nose and taste to be highly temperature sensitive...hang in there and let this warm to the glass.
Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, silky. Nicely bubbled. Dries nicely in the finish in spite of all of the semingly sweet elements.
Drinkability: Has both bock and stout characteristics. But chocolate is the overwhelming theme. Didn't quite live up to my expectations and is definitely overpriced... but you really need to try this... split a bottle with friends and see what you think.

2.04/5  rDev -43.8%

Let me just say that for $16 I was expecting a higher alcohol brew so that I could put my second one away. Looks like I have to drink them both soon and that may not be the best thing that has ever happened to me.

It pours nicely looking darker than a brown porter, but not quite stout dark. It has a nice off white head.

The smell is almost all cocoa. Its very much like powered chocolate. Not complaints here!

The first two tastes of this beer is nothing but a mix of chocolate and soy sauce. In fact both of those sips caught in my throat. Once the palette adjusts, SA chocolate bock just tastes sweet and vaguely like chocolate milk made with water perhaps, rather than milk. There is some roasty flavor, but it is so hidden by the sweetness that it is just a tease.

The mouthfeel is pretty average. For a beer like this I would prefer it to be thicker and silkier. I don't think that is too much to ask of chocolate.

I am regretting that my girlfriend took a swig and declared it disgusting. I really need someone to help me drink this beer.

Overall, I would only recommend this beer to people who care about limited batches.

edit: Well, this is the second time I had to dump a beer. The first was a rotten George Gale's. After a while the sweetness just got overbearing. I swear this nasty pasty feeling in my mouth and throat won't go away. I have only one question regarding SA Chocolate Bock: what am I going to do with the second bottle?

3.98/5  rDev +9.6%

750mL bottle from Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge, MA. Bottle presentation is an overall plus, helped by kind of cool pewter-ish label stuck to glass, but hurt by the fact that a) my bottle doesn't have the hangtag, b) the plastic "foil" is kind of cheesy, and c) the fact that the "foil" leads one to believe the bottle may be corked, which in fact it is not. None of which affects this review, it's more style issues for those who care.

Poured in a pint glass, formed a reasonable head (very fizzy, could hear the bubbles breaking) on top of mahogany but still translucent liquid. The faded rather quickly, leaving a thin layer of foam on the surface, with minimal bits of lace abandoned on the glass as time (and beer) passed. Only the slightest of aromas of the chocolate that is hyped to be present, at least to my untrained nose. Drinking certainly shows that the chocolate is there, even if the aroma did not indicate such, with a nice malty body and a very smooth chocolate undertone that magnifies upon swallowing.

Had been saving this bottle for a special occasion, and the first review since my first child (daughter) was born seemed appropriate. The price of $14.50/btl seems to limit this one to novelty beer, and probably will not be repurchased, except for sharing with others to share the experience.

4.06/5  rDev +11.8%

I sampled this beer while on a tour of the brewery. At the time it was unreleased, and it may not have been the final recipe. I thought that it pleasantly blended the chocolate notes into a reasonably complex bock. While I am no expert on the style, I found the beer to be enjoyable from nose to finish and easily my favorite of the tasting.

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%

This clear deep garnet colored beer throws out a nice bubbly head of light brown color with a yellowish tint. The retention is not good and soon there is just a bubbly brown collar left. Aroma is of fine chocolate, slight roasted tones and bready malts. Chocolate is the first thing that strikes my palate. A fine, bittersweet dry cocoa powder like chocolate taste. The bready malts form a foundation under the chocolate tones. Hops add some bitterness, but this beer has more chocolate properties than it does bock properties. A little disappointing, but somewhat tasty nonetheless. I just wish it tasted a little more like bock and a little less like a chocolate candy. The mouthfeel is nice a silky smooth. The body is about medium. The slightly cloying properties render the drinkability of this beer average.

I bought this bottle to enjoy with my wife on Valentine's day, then I got home and remembered that she doesn't like beer. Whoops. An honest but calculated mistake on my part.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Dark brown color with significant ruby influences, it doesn’t have the depth I was expecting, the faintly beige head reached a solid finger and a half in height. It was rather rocky and the head held pretty well. As the beer was removed, sparse and spotty lacing dotted my glass. Again expectations got me again, the nose was not a chocolate bomb but a decent blend of chocolate milk, grassy hops, toasty malts, and a hint of minerals. The combination works modestly well, the potency is fair at best, but, yeah, it was an inviting aroma. It took many sips before I had any reaction to this beer. I just was waiting for the flavors to kick in and punch my tastebuds silly – they didn’t. Yes there are pleasant notes of dry, semi-sweet yet luxurious chocolate, that is very nice but where is the “wow” factor? Behind the chocolate, but very vocal on its own right, is a firm nuttiness with slight kisses of toasted caramel and a trace of vanilla coffee. The hops are dull, as brewed I assume, and they offer little in the way of flavor, a straight note of grass and that is it. Bitterness? Nope. This is a surprisingly boring offering, it really is, and it seems like a waste of the Scharffen Berger Chocolate, what Nestle wasn’t available? Now, you see, I am a big BBC/SA supporter but this one is a dud, on the same level as their Cranberry Lambic. Ouch! The mouthfeel is heavy and tiresome, like walking through a snowdrift; I began to realize I shouldn’t have tackled the bottle alone. The carbonation is very low and there is not enough effervesces to lift away the clutter on my tongue, it becomes tacky and overwhelming. I feel like a dope for paying $12 for this 750ml bottle in Sioux Falls, SD. At any price this is not a good beer. I found it to be utterly pointless and after about half a glass it became undrinkable. I cannot recommend you purchasing this beer. Skip it.

3.77/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured a dark ruby brown with a white head that didn't even say goodbye. Smell is thick and malty with tons of chocolate. Taste starts with a bit of hops followed by dark caramel malts, and the aftertaste is wonderful dark chocolate. Reminded me of hot cocoa as far as the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is pretty good, maybe a bit thin, but the beer is very drinkable. Interesting, but I don't know if I could justify the expense too often.

4.12/5  rDev +13.5%

Sampled from a large bomber style bottle with silver plastic foil and silver sleeve.

Pours with a large brown head that quickly fades into a dark brown, almost black bodied beer with no clarity issues.

Aroma has toasted brown malt scents mixed with a slightly wine like tone and almonds. Behind these front tones exist a lightly spiced hop.

Flavor at first is spicy with noble hops combined with CO2, after that fades the chocolate grows with the silky yet dry tones of a sugarless dark chocolate.

Finish is long smooth and with a long cocoa butter draw on the tongue that dries out completely before the next sip.

3.85/5  rDev +6.1%

Light brown, cola-colored liquid with a thin taupe-tinged head. Minimal lacing ability.

Nose redolent of chocolate and not much else at first. Closer investigation yields sweet cola aroma and a hint of weak, cheap diner coffee.

The name says it all in the flavor department -- lots of chocolate, cocoa, chocolate milk, etc. Cocoa Krispies in milk, more or less, with some standard bock-like sweet malt. Additional hints of sweetened coffee and cola accompanied by hardly any hop presence. Sweet, but not cloying, and, well, chocolatey. Sweet, lenghty finish.

Mouthfeel is decent, though the body could stand to be a bit fuller and fatter. The thinness improves drinkability, though it does not add much to the beer itself.

More drinkable than I'd initially thought, this is a tasty, interesting brew. Without question, it's great with dessert. I tried pairing it with Cherry covered cheesecake, which worked very well. I'm not even going to mention the price tag. Let's just say it's not the best value you'll find at the store, though it is beautifully packaged and worth a try for posterity's sake.

While this beer did not rock my world, it was an interesting and nice diversion. 14.99 for a 750 mL bottle is a tad high, but given the gourmet chocolate they are using this is understandable.

Poured nice and dark with a creamy head. The head did stay around incredibly long though. The people drinking this with liked the taste but not the smell. I thought the smell was good though. I thought it had some toasted smells.

The taste was very good but not exceptional. The chocolate dominates and it is not sweet. Perfect. The taste is not incredibly complex.

The beer is very smooth and drinkable.

Definitely drink with a friend. The bottle is just too big to do otherwise.

4.28/5  rDev +17.9%

couldn't wait to sample this one, and it sure delivered. pours a dark, dark brown with amber hints throughout. nice creamy tan head with decent stickiness to it. very inviting appearance. smells mainly of chocolate (surprise) with hints of coffee, malt, other sweetness and a bit of a burnt smell with possibly some caramel notes here as well. the taste is pure creamy milk chocolate goodness with an ever so slight coffee bite in the background and a bit bitter malty finish. yum. a very, very creamy brew overall that is oh so easy to drink. it's sweet but not overbearing. i'd love to sample some again, but i'm not so keen on the $13+ price tag on this one, though i must say that the price is probably worth it for a shot at what may end up being a very limited brew. excellent.

2.96/5  rDev -18.5%

Sexy bottle huh? Maybe that's why my $15 dollars were so easily parted with.

Black cherry hued, with ample tan suds on top.
Smells roasty, lightly bready, with plenty of chocolate. Malty, and one-noteish. A slight astringent waft does not help.

This 750mL virtually mirrors me running multiple miles. Right at first, all is well, and I'm psyched to be doing it. Things start to drag a bit as time progresses, but I'm still doing ok. The later sections have me begging to be finished and only trudging along for the sake of completion. Afterward, I inform myself that I am fucking crazy, and vow, alternately, to never do it again / to get into better shape.

What are we talking about? Oh SA ChocBock.

Roasty sweet upstart. Caramel and vanilla nougat. And tons of them. Rich, milk chocolate floods in. This is the closest thing to a liquid candy bar I've ever experienced. Tasty and decadent, but nothing else. Some grape-jam alcohol notes arrive late, along with smothered strawberries. But nuance is limited on the whole, and the beer suffers as a result.

Fat bodied and filling. It goes down easy up front, but becomes progressively harder to drain. By the end, it is nearly a chore.
No, check that, it *is* a chore.

This is the sort of beer that creates the need to go exercise. Heavy and uncomfortable in the gut.

A 750mL is far more than I can chew.

It's worth trying, but split a bottle amongst a few homies. And split the cost while you're at it.

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours with a three-fingered light brown head that is thick but doesn't leave much of a lace. Light carbonation. Deep red/amber color that is almost black. Nose is more coffee than chocolate, starts with a distinct coffee flavor but the finish has some of the chocolate coming through, very smooth. A good bock but not even close to being worth $15.50 for a 750ML. Found at Colonial Spirits in Acton, MA.

4.55/5  rDev +25.3%

Wow. I think this is a phenomonal beer. I'm going to completely ignore price as a factor because if I sampled this without knowing what I paid for it, I'd be floored.

Deep, doppelbock-ish lacquered dark wood colors with a large tan head that's easily ressurected at any point with a quick swirl of the glass. Served between refridgerated and cellar temp, this begins with only faint aromas -- chocolate, of course, and ginger ale. As it warms, the chocolate is unleashed. And I mean un-friggin-leashed.

Smoooth, satin sheet texture on the tongue. Absolutely easier to drink than chocolate milk. Mild nutty, grainy undertones are swallowed by the obvious dominating force here: chocolate. Chocolate malt, chocolate milk... Very little residual bitterness. Seems like more of a dry, baker's chocolate finish. Very full beer in terms of flavor and intensity -- but if taken as something to be shared, savored, and possibly/probably with dessert, it's perfect.

I can't really register any significant complaint about the beer itself. Even the bottle was cool. Given the build up, I have to say that I was perhaps even looking to find fault with this. But I can't find a whole lot; maybe it's a bit thin. And it's a bit one-dimensional -- the chocolate is exceptionally potent here -- but that's what this beer is aiming for, and it achieves it and then some.

3.73/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours to a mahogany color with a tan head. The aroma is malty, bready, with just a bit of chocolate in the nose. The flavor has cocoa all the way through, with a nice bready, malty taste. It is medium in body, and has a creamy, silky mouthfeel. It finishes somewhat spicy, and peppery. It is a very smooth drinking beer. It is pretty good, except it is a bit to spendy. Gotta try it once though.

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%

Best before June 2004...opaque dark brown, good puffy orangish head of 1/2 an inch in a Schell German Pale tulip glass. Thick lace. Aroma is distant chocolate, pretty reserved, some sense of a Dubbel-like fruitiness. Plenty of chocolate in the flavor, unrolling and silky milk chocolate tones, almost mousse-like. Mouthfeel is lush with low carbonation. Slight astringency late, a little apple pie, but little hop to speak of. The beer is a little on the "one note" side -- pleasant and sweet, but all the laying over gourmet chocolate doesn't make this a particularly drinkable beer to me (or worth the $15). I'm sure the beer is what it was intended to be, but it took me a while to finish the bottle.

(Note(s):
This is also dedicated ro "Team diabetes", who run marathons to raise funds for medical research, let's all wish brainybrew "Good Luck", and may the wind be at her back all the way! They are running a marathon here in Phoenix.

After the beer sets or I should say warms to the glass and the room it does develop a bit more flavor, the hops and the toasted grain flavors do seem to perk up, my apologies to Boston Beer Co. and Samuel Adams and I have moved my rating up a bit.

The beer as it disembogues from the 750ml bottle a deep sanguineous color with the head Brontosauric in size, the texture creamy and the color a toothsome light tan as it slowly disintegrates it leaves behind a thick sheet of lace to obscure the glass. The aroma of sweet malt dominates, also a tad earthy, sweet milk chocolate, toasted grain a pleasant nose as it were, so let’s see how the palate judges this much anticipated beer. Front is thickly malt, sweet and chocolate rich with the top light to moderate in its feel to the palate, finish is modest in its acidity, the hops present and pleasing in their spiciness, the aftertaste has a nice chocolate flavor and is quite dry. While it is a drinkable brew tis’ true, I’ve tasted many “Bocks” that put this one to shame and the $16.00 price tag is a bit much for this brew, not sure its worth aging, and I’m going to say I’m disappointed.

Appearance- Dark, almost black color. I poured it hard down the middle of the glass, and it formed a nice head that went away fairly quickly. Left very light lacing on the glass

Smell- Chocolate, with a hint of vanilla

Taste- Very good, but not what I expected at all. Sweet, with a lot of chocolate taste. Hints of vanilla. Smooth, and a slight hop finish at the end. This would be a good beer for dessert. The aftertaste is of chocolate as well, and is not a heavy, sticky as I would have thought. Very nice all in all.

Mouthfeel- A little heavy, but the hops at the end make it finish up clean enough.

Drinkability- Good for one as a finish to a nice meal, or maybe with dessert or something. I certainly wouldn't want to drink this all night. Serves it's purpose well though.

All in all, this is a good beer. Not at all what I expected. This tastes more like chocolate than any other beer I have ever tasted. I wonder if the heavy chocolate taste is masking other flaws in the beer, but at the price I won't be drinking enough of it to find out for sure. I enjoyed this beer though, and I would reccomend others to try it. It's an interesting beer, if nothing else.

4.3/5  rDev +18.5%

Thanks to TinusTime for the free sample, pre-release. Another benefit of BA and the BA's i've met.

Came in a 12 oz sample bottle. Apparently the release will be packaged much more extravagantly. Pours dark. A deep mahogany, this is not the color of a stout, more of a really dark dopplebock. There was a decent head on this that died quick. Sweet aroma, with some fruity esters and alot of chocolate. WOW!
Tastes like Cadbury's chocolate. If you like great chocolate, you will love this. Milk chocolate dominates the taste. Not sickly sweet, just a great chocolate taste. This is no doubt the most choclatey beer i've had, and this is a great thing. There are some mild hops in the finish to keep things from getting too sticky. It's malty & chocolatey, without the roasted taste you find in stouts. Mouthfeel is thick but finishes nicely due to the hops. A bit more drinkable than I expected, but still not something to pound all night. Excellent!

4.14/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Got a preview sample of this product that will be released in January. My sample was a 12 oz sample bottle. The final product will be in a 750ml corked and caged.

Pours a nice dark chocolate colour with a minimal head ( could be due to sample glasses) that was a caramel colour.

Smell is of hot cocoa. Rich and deep chocolate smell without much bitterness.

Taste-- Its like hot chocolate beer in a bottle. Smooth and creamy with Cocoa , vanilla out front in the middle and in the back. that said it is balanced well enough with hops to keep it from being cloying.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy not much bitterness

Drinkability is average only due to the fact that I personally dont think I could have more than one due to the chocolate flavour and a bit of a heavy profile. Possibly one of the best "dessert" beers ive had in that it could be a dessert. One could pair this with some raspberrys or strawberries and be set. Also it pair extremely well with pecan pie.

Other notes on this beer according to BBC. It is brewed with two row pale malt, Munich, caramel, and chocolate malts. It also has Scharfenn-burger chocolate, cocoa, and a bit of vanilla tossed in the brew kettle. Hops used are Tettnang and Spalt Spatzer. The package looks beautiful, dark bottle with a pewter coloured embossed labe. Supposed retail will be about $14. Maybe a bit pricey, but definately a beer to try. Supposedly it will be pushed hard for Valentines day.

Extra note-- the Rep claims that this can be cellared, but i was kinda sceptical as the ABV is only 5.8 and not hoppy at all, but then again they should know better than me.

firstprev| 2901-2925 | 2926-2950 | 2951-2975  | next → last
Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 49.5% out of 100 with 2,974 ratings