Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock
3.63/5
Good
Samuel Adams Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Chocolate Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: German Bock

Added by TinusTime on 11-20-2003

Ratings: 3,090 |  Reviews: 1,224
4.25/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

nice 750 bottle with an embossed label. Room temp (thanks guys). This one looks really inviting in the glass. A deep ruby-red/port colour with a small tan head of foam that dies quickly. Aromas are very vinous, bock-like, malty, deep, roasted, chocolatey, and a bit caramel/coffee like as well. The taste is nice as well, A very chocolatey blend of roasted malts and background hops. This brew is so balanced, and its not too sweet or too bitter. If you love chocolate, you will probably give this beer at least a 4! The mouthfeel is creamy and nice, but a tad bit thin, for a 6% bock. The drinkability is excellent, but I could never see myself drinking more than one of these. Price and availability aside, this is a nice bock-style brew from Sam Adams. It brings the chocolate and it brings it hard. Although i'd never buy this again (especially at $15) i'm glad that I got to try it out for myself. Oh, and one more thing...if this brew became part of their line-up and was a $6-8 six-pack, than i'd probably be all over it!

3.37/5  rDev -7.2%

Nice bottle. Head is small, tan, coarse and noisy. It leaves small spots of lacing. Beer is dark (dark), reddish brown. Almost black. Nose is roasty nuts, tangy chocolate and it is sweet. Dark chocolate, as expected, up front, but a fairly light taste. Are those prunes? Middle is thinner than expected, with grapes. It tastes just like Glossette chocolate-covered raisins. Lots of chocolate in the finish. It's fairly bitter, but still sweet. Tangy. Quite roasty. This is a very chocolatey beer. Maybe a little too much for me. Plenty of sweet chocolate and sourish fruit, a little thin/watery. Maybe I'm expecting too much. But definitely a little too chocolatey for me.

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%

This beer came in a large bottle with an attractive foil-like label.
Pours a dark brown with a reddish-tinge. The head is cream colored, slight, and short-lived. The nose is dominately chocolate and sugar...In fact, it remindes me of Nestle's Quick. Underneath the chocolate smell is a malt backbone, but it's hidden (or overpowered) by the chocolate. The taste is sweet, but not overdone...The chocolate character is present through the entire taste. Finish is well balanced. It's lighter in body than I expected, given the smell, and is slightly chalky. Low carbonation. This is a sipping beer to be enjoyed slowly, but the sweetness can be cloying and the chocolate is certainly distracting after the first sips. Although satisfying, it lacks the depth and complexity of a great beer, and was a something of a dissapointment (given the hype).

A solidly good beer, but I thought the price was a bit high for the level of quality. The malty chocolate notes were a bit more understated than I expected, which was actually good, as it allowed a better appreciation to the delicate nature of the chocolate background, which was almost silky. Toward the finish the beer turned a little thinner and a touch acidic, which was a detraction. Not an over-the-top chocolate experience like Rogue Chocolate Stout, but that's not what they were going for here. A pleasant dessert or nightcap beer.

Style points for the bottle, with a fantastic olde world embossed antique silver medallion label.

4.02/5  rDev +10.7%

I'm reviewing this after getting dropped from 2nd place to eliminated in the 2004 March Madness BA pool! Thanks, AkSmokedPorter, you saved my day! The pour is deep chestnut, the head is a light cap of creamy beige/brown, and the lace is but a show a speckles about the glass. Aromas are deeply malty, and crunchy chocolate with a late hit of coffee and sweet raisin. The mouthfeel is of a creamy chocolate fizz. Flavors are on the ultra rich side-bitter chocolate liquor, sweet malt, coffee, and more, and more chocolate. I'm sipping this after a very nice dinner and this is a super choice for dessert! I'm lucky as well to have been sent the very chocolate used to make the brew, thanks to AKSmokedPorter. It matches up very nicely. My wife said to mention that it makes for a sublime chocolate burp! Thanks again Chris, for the sample! I think the Mocha bar went best, and my wife just seconded that!

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

22 oz bomber. Poured a deep dark mahogony, with a moderate head that quickly faded. Small amount of lacing left behind. Aroma is chocolate malt. The taste is more of the same. It has moderate carbonation, and a syrupy sweet aftertaste, make is a slow drinking beer. Not bad, but I'm not sure it was worth the price. Other than to say I've had it and another bottle for my wall.

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

Served in the 750 mL bottle into a goblet. The color is black, with a ring and wispy white head. The smell is a light chocolate with a bit of malt. The taste starts with a bit of the malt character and then warms to the chocolate taste and the slightly bitter chocolate aftertaste. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, might have a couple more.

If this was 8 dollars a bottle, I'd probably get another one of these; since I paid 22 dollars for this, I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed. Not a terrible beer and in fact a nice taste, but if they want to charge a elite price then they should make an elite beer, and this just isn't elite.

4.15/5  rDev +14.3%

Ok so no false advertising here folks, the bottle says chocolate and you get a rich, chocolatey beer.

Bottle has a pewter/silverish badge on the front simply saying Samuel Adams Chocolate Boch (a few inches below the $14.99 price tag from Gordon's Liquors in Waltham..ouch).

Once poured the head which was nearly three fingers tall disappeared quickly before my eyes. Very sweet smell coming from the glass, which eerily weaves a tale of murder in the pitch black night.

For some reason I expected each sip to taste somewhat different from the last, but as I got closer and closer to polishing off the bottle I was pleasantly surprised with the same chocolate flavor with every taste.

The drink feels smooth and silky, as if someone melted down some fine chocolate and put it in the bottle. The taste lingers in the mouth long enough to make you pick your glass right back up again for some more SA goodness.

Price tag aside, this is a very drinkable dessert beer. I was surprised at just how drinkable, as this is a bock after all, just don't tell the kid in your who thinks its a drink from Herseys.

4.17/5  rDev +14.9%

This is one chocolate beer. It poured to a nearly black color with hints of ruby with a minimal head that didn't last. What did last, was an excellent chocolate flavor and a great smell. The mouthfeel was delicate but rich. There's plenty of chocolate and cocoa in there, but the way it blends with the rest of the beer is really nice.

A lot of people are going to complain about the price tag on this one. I agree, the dollar value charged here is an insult to humanity. However, I'm not reviewing bargains here. I'm reviewing beer, and this is a good beer.

3.73/5  rDev +2.8%

I had been hearing so much about this beer i knew i had to find some, so through some friends i found a shop in my area that carried it. I was lucky because they only had two bottles left.
The one thing thing I was not to happy about in the beginning was the price tag. This beer was a steep $15 for a 750ml, so needless to say I was stingy with this beer, but a week after i had bought it i had to crack it.
The bottle was amazing with it's pewter Sam Adams label. I poured the beer into a glass a watched as this deep ruby beer filled my glass. It had a light tan head and a burnt chocolate aroma.
The first taste was a malty chocolate goodness. Smoothe in the mouth with a nice even finsh. Not something you want want to sit down and gulp,but something you want to sit down and enjoy.

4.13/5  rDev +13.8%

This is an excellent and immensely flavorful brew, if you have someone to drink it with. I say this, simply, because the chocolate flavors are so intense that you may feel like you scarfed down a pound of chocolate chips if you drink the whole 750 yourself. With that being said, the flavors in this beer are amazing. I found that once the brew hit about 55 degrees, the rich chocolate mellowed out a bit to a very pleasant sipping beer. I don't know how much of this I would run out and buy, given its $15.99 price tag, but it was well worth the try. A truely unique beer that you owe it to yourself to try once.

4.35/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

Split this one with two great friends in Logan, UT. Great bottle...a bit pricey. Dark black with a touch of red color. Small but creamy head. Smell is bit malt, vanilla and loads of chocolate. Taste is velvety and low in carbonation, almost cask conditioned, which would make sense. Not a whole lot of bock characters but loads of rich dark chocolate. This is the best chocolate beer I've ever had in terms of tasting like real dark chocolate. Is there melted chocolate in this? Pretty amazing, and I'd drink this again and again if it weren't so damn expensive.

4.28/5  rDev +17.9%

The bottle for this is really cool. I like the pewter label. It is black in color with ruby highlights and has a creamy head. It looks very impressive. The aroma has chocolate and some toffee (kind of reminds me of a heath bar). The taste has sweet chocolate and a sweet, creamy malty body. I don't get the impression that this is a bock, but I did enjoy this.

3.17/5  rDev -12.7%

I paid $16.99 for this bitch. Holy shit..this is about as much as I'll pay for ANY beer, so this better be amazing:)

Brewed with 2-row pale, Carmale 60, Munich 10, and Chocolate malts. Hopped with Tettnanger and Spalter.

5.5% ABV, OG=1.068, 230 cal/12 oz.

Pours to a brilliantly clear deep garnet, forming a sticky light-tan head with good retention and mild lacing. Aroma is rather mild considering what I was expecting....Herbal woodsy hops, chocolate is up front, but along the lines of fake chocolate extract..syrupy in it's aroma...vanilla, sweet caramel, burnt sugar, ketotic urine, but not heavy-handed. Mouthfeel is at once watery and pillowy soft with a suprisingly delicate body. Carbonation is mild to moderate. Taste is much like aroma with a sweet milk chocolate easter bunny undercurrent.The finish, though slightly oxidized, is more chocolate with a hint of smoke, honey, and toffee. This brew leaves a sticky, thick spit in the mouth, and despite being medium-light in body, tarnishes my belly with a syrupy fullness.

This beer is really a mixed bag. Heavy-handy, pretentious, and pompous, this beer is interesting for about 3 minutes and then becomes a burden. This beer seems to be a marathon in taste-bud fatigue, and it's exceptionally difficult to finish a 750ml bottle. Since it was packaged for Valentine's Day, perhaps it was intended to be shared amongst two dysfunctional shit-faced lovers trying to get their time-share resort groove on. Certainly, this brew, while perhaps special to Sam Adams, is not at all nostalgic to my tastes. Despite my ratings, considering the price of this bee-yatch, I give this brew "the finger". 400 brews down...snap!

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

This beer poured a light black color with a large and creamy tan head. The smell was all chocolate, I couldn't get anything else (but would I want to?). The taste was chocolate up front, in the middle, and in the finish. I can't believe how they made this so chocolately. Coffee is there in the middle and I do notice an earthy hop precense but chocolate steals the show. I loved it, a great dessert beer. Only problems are the finish is abrupt and weak, the flavor goes away in a flash. And the price obviously is an issue. but i am glad to have said that I tried it.

4.17/5  rDev +14.9%

This beer poured a dark brown, root beer, colored body with a decent sized white/tan head.

The nose was actually quite impressive. German dark malt, wood, a hint of smoke, caramel, grasses very faint chocolate. Basically it’s a beautifully mellowed dark German bock smell.

The taste was big, creamy and rich. Very smooth milk chocolate taste. Totally mellowed dark malts. Really an amazing flavor. A slight hint of grass and fresh herbs. A mellow roasted barley bitterness compliments the chocolate well. It ends smooth with a slight cocoa powder graininess.

Overall it’s really a good beer. A beautiful mellowed just right fresh German bock mixed with milk chocolate. Quite a mix.

But the price is what kills this beer. I paid $17 for this bottle. I’ve seen it for $20. It’s a good beer, but no where worth $20 a bottle. $5, maybe $10, but…. $20. Nope. If I had a choice between 4 bombers of double bastard and this, the choice would be obvious.

Pours a deep brown color that is quite clear with brilliant garnet notes when held up to the light. The head is brown and creamy. The dominant aroma is of chocolate, and in fact I can detect nothing else, though it is not overwhelming in character, like chocolate liquor would be. This beer is light in body, though the chocolate in the aftertaste does give it a faux creamy consistency. The beer is lightly sweet and quite clean in taste. There is a hint of roast malt, but the chocolate is center stage here. It is not overwhelming but it has a quiet strength which defines this beer.

I do like this beer, though it does not quite live up to the hype & the purchase price. Perhaps it is aimed at the mainstream beer lover. This beer would be quite worth it if it was priced in line with, or perhaps just above, the rest of the Sam Adams line up. The best part of this beer is that the chocolate does not bowl over the drinker, it is there, but it has a certain restraint, which makes it all the more enjoyable.

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

This beer comes in a 22oz bomber with a silver foil label and sells for $15. The beer pours dark brown, with a tan head. Smell is malty with a hint of chocolate, like a batch of chocolate chip cookies. Taste is full of dark chocolate, almost like one added chocolate syrup to the beer - like a chocolate malted. It isn't overpowering, and in fact is very delicious as an after-dinner drink. Mouthfeel is very smooth, and it goes down easy.

As to the price - I don't doubt that the chocolate used in this beer was very expensive german chocolate as the label states. And it is a great gift idea - I can't think of anything I'd rather get for Valentine's day. But for general drinking, I think if Sam Adams packaged it in 12oz bottles and used cheaper chocolate this beer would still be very good, and I would buy it a heck of a lot more often.

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

Presentation: Wow, a rather fancy looking brown glass Bomber with a silver foil oval obverse label that looks Roman.

Appearance: Dark black-brown. Chocolate Milk Shake meets Guinness

Nose: Reminds me of making milk chocolate crispies. The smell of melted milk chocolate and some toffee caramel invades the nasal passages with the annoying whisps of cocoa powder on the nose edges.

Taste: A quilted melted milk chocolate start, finish and ending and erm….. not much else. Powdered cocoa and some malted roast flavors that support the coffee and chocolate still rise in the middle and ending.

Mouthfeel: Like a thick melted cooking chocolate, slick and silky with a milk chocolate feel it slates with temperature.

Drinkability: Hmmm, sooo glad I did not have a Bomber of this all to myself.

Overall: Nice but HOLD ON !!!! $16 for this. Are you jesting?? Get Real!!!! How can they justify that price tag.

This is a **total** waste of money, and quite simply pure unadulterated commercial greed from our friends at Boston “gimme your money for our latest beery gimmick” Co. Don't believe me? Then why release it near Valentines Day then? (I still don’t forgive them for the Cherry Lambic!).

Just another "run of the mill" Chocolate Beer, save your hard earned money, and buy a bottle of Abbaye des Rocs Grand Cru and still have change for a decent meal.

Rather Over-Rated and *VERY* Over-Priced. IMVHO!

4.3/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer first...we'll discuss over matters later.

A nice dark brown body (dark red when held to the light), topped by a frothy three fingers of light tan microbubbles. It's a "snap, krackle, pop" head. Always entertaining to hear your beer. Settles to a table top a little quicker than I like. Some lacing.

Delightful chocolate aroma, both cocoa and dark. I'd swear there were chucks of Hershey Dark floating in there.

Chocolate rolls across the tongue, until giving way to some earthy hop notes. Good, but not the deep, dark chocolate knock-out I was expecting.

Mouthfeel is rich, full, but not too overwhelmingly thick.

Drinkability is excellent. Actually too good for a "bock"

On the merits of the beer alone, I heartily recommend it. But...

Questions, comments, and brillant observations (no, that's not ego, it's a tribute to my high school chem teacher):

1 .Why Chocolate Bock? Though a fine beer, there are little if any bock characteristics readily noticeable. I think this is a "bock" because others have done chocolate stouts and porters.

2. The $15.00 a bottle price. The packaging is a bomber/champagne bottle, with a metal (silver) "tin sign" label. Different yes. Worth an extra $10/bottle? That label better be real silver.

Like Rogue's Imperial Pilsner, put the beer in conventional packaging and knock the price down to conventional, or slightly above levels, and I'll be back. At these prices, it's one and done.

3. This does work as a Valentine seasonal. Like men ordering the roses that are marked up more than double for two weeks in February, this is a chance for females to be price gouged when shopping for their beek geek significant other. And I would appreciate the thought.

Summary: An enjoyable beer with too much baggage. Strip it down and I'll be happy.

2.34/5  rDev -35.5%

This beer looks simply wonderful! A nice dark color with a very nice tan head that gives away to a decent lace. That is where it stops. It has an over sweet vanilla aroma to it with very little, if any hints of chocolate. If anything, it could be a white chocolate bock. The flavor is also more toward the vanilla side than chocolate. It has a watery feeling in the mouth and it is missing something, Character! In addition, for $14.00 a pop, please. Once bitten twice shy.

3.2/5  rDev -11.8%

This beer pours a nice dark color. I found the head to be a little thin, and didn't hold for very long. In fact, the carbonation as a whole was on the low side, and lost what it had fairly quickly. It smelled very good. Not strong on the hops, and the chocolate was not overwhelming to the nose. Despite the dark color and bock style, it was somewhat light on the tongue. But that is where you really got the chocolate: as an aftertaste at the end of a mouthful. It was somewhat velvetty in that respect, but the feeling (and taste) didn't last long.

At $16 a bottle, this should have been a much more impressive beer. Its shortcomings make it not worth the price.

2.72/5  rDev -25.1%

Pours dark brown with quick relinquishing head that actually fizzed like a soda.

Smell was light of chocolate, not really a whole lot on the nose at all.

Flavor had some chocolate of course but the mouthfeel was thin, and the carbonation prickly. The sensation I got was that I was drinking Chocolate Coke. The malt/hop combination did render a similar flavour to cola.

Low drinkability but this might be suitable for dessert. Won't be picking up this unremarkable brew again.

4.3/5  rDev +18.5%

This is truly a desert....Get canolli and pour yourself a glass of this Chocolate delight and you've got a match..

Pours out a dark chocolate like color with a thin to medium beige/tannish head. Aroma is chocolate and a little smokey. Taste is the same straight up chocolate sweetness and a bit of a smoked after taste. Kind of reminds me of a type of hot chocolate mix not Quick but the one that comes in a blue box, something Swiss or something like that you know the one that comes with the little marshmellows, kind of reminded me of that for some reason. This is a good choice if you want a sweet treat, very good stuff...The only downfall to this is the hefty 15 dollar price tag it carries.

3.93/5  rDev +8.3%

Ive been sittingon this bottle for about a month and tonite is the lucky nite.
I pour a room temp sample into my snifter. The brew pours rich dark brown and exhibits dark ruby tints when held up to the light.
A beige head foams up easily and fades to a layer around the edge of my glass rather quickly.
Aroma is all malt. I get some roasted malt but mostly mild chocolate.
First sip reveals, a creamy smooth body and mild gentle carbonation.
Flavor is rich and malty with mild bittersweet mocha hits up front, then a smooth roll to all sweet chocolate on the finish. Tastes like a hershey bar at the end. Very easy to drink and smooth but a little too sweet just to have. Wish I had eaten something while drinking this one.

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.63 out of 5 with 3,090 ratings