Sam Adams Light | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light
3.26/5
Okay
Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American Light Lager

None provided.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 851 | Ratings: 2,266
3.18/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

My go to light beer. More body and a heavier less sweet taste than others I have had from this group. Much with the original, I view SA products as superior to the big Macros. A tick above average.

3.63/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 Oz Bottle poured into glass
Look - light amber color, thick foam head and some lacing on glass
Smell - clean, grains. Adjunct aroma.
Taste - bready, sweet. Very slight hop presence. Not really watery but lacking body as expected. A malty light beer is unusual but they did a good job. More flavor than any other light macro that's for sure.

Overall, if it was a bit heavier, it would be an amber lager. It is light but certainly packs some flavor. It has the typical Sam Adams carbonation which is nice, it's not overly carbonated. Grade is a B

I drove all the way here and all you have for me is light beer! I like it and it once again a welcome break from all the overwhelming variety of craft brews! Still not as good as Hamm's though!

3.17/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

By far the best light beer I have ever tasted. Pours a clear medium yellow with a half inch, poorly retained white head that left a little lacing. Actually smells like beer and not malt scented water. Tastes on the sweet side, with notes of bread, grass, light hop presence and caramel. Very good for what it is. Light bodied, thin mouth feel, moderate carbonation.

3.76/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I agree with the reviews that say this is good for a light beer. I am not much of a light beer drinker but I bought a couple six packs of this because I wanted a beer with a low alcohol by volume (something that is a bit uncommon in the craft scene) to drink in the warmer weather without getting too dehydrated. I am giving it a rather high rating because it is clean, crisp and has some flavor to it but on the downside it is rather expensive for a thin light beer without much flavor.

3.75/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The only reason I got this was because it was still within the freshness date and cost a little over 5 bucks at my local liquor store. I would never buy Sam Adams stuff that has such a light flavor, but this is no doubt the best light beer out there! For ABV of 4.3 it has a nice rich, full flavor. P.S. BEER INFO on this says ABV 4.0 but the bottle says 4.3.

3.13/5  rDev -4%

Nice easy-to-drink beer, if a bit safe and underwhelming. Clean and crisp, faint notes of malt and biscuit, hints of caramel. Thin mouthfeel and strong carbonation. Refreshing and good to quench the thirst but not really a beer to sip slowly and savor (and let warm up).

3.65/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a lager glass, the appearance was a fair light yellow color with a nice transparency about it. Carbonation could be seen rising at a moderate pace. Head quickly died off - no matter how many times I tried to pour fast and vigorous, I have never had a good head in this beer. Mild lace ran here and there but even that doesn't last.
The aroma had some soft bready malts and a mild earthy to grassy hoppiness.
The flavor was mainly sweet throughout with the same sort of aftertaste.
The mouthfeel was between light and medium bodied with a fair sessionability about it. Carbonation felt fine. ABV felt appropriate. Finish seemed non-existent.
Overall, I don't want to be too harsh on this beer since it is a Light Lager and that's what I should compare it to. In the end, I'd say this actually does the trick as there's nothing "off" in it's aromas and flavors. If anything, why drink a Bud Light, I'd rather have this any day.

2.97/5  rDev -8.9%

12 oz. into a house pint.

Appearance: Clear copper with an eggshell head that disappears swiftly.

Aroma: Vaguely off. Some cereal, some malt.

Taste: Meh. There's no much here. Tastes like if you halfed off a Sam Adams with water. Vague caramel, faint bread. Distant hops.

Mouthfeel: Watery. Little body.

Overall: Pretty boring beer. Underwhelming at best.

12 oz bottle. Aroma is of caramel malt. Pours a pretty thin head with a light amber hue. Malty taste. Light hopping. Doesn’t taste like a light beer, which was to be expected. Too malty for my taste.

3.05/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a very pale Amber colour. Finger and a half head that hangs out for awhile. Smell of light sweet malt, kind of a sweet syrupy smell and just a hint of...adjunct? Not quite sure. Taste is good but very light. Sweet malt character and a slightly bitter finish which I think is partly due to the fizzy nature of this beer. The mouth feel is thin, on par with say a Budweiser. This is basically a beer targeting BMC drinkers but brewed with better quality ingredients. Light and refreshing, pairs well with just about any food.
Overall I won't be craving this any time soon but it's not bad.

3.42/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

From notes taken 04/17/17:

I’m assuming this is just the Boston Lager, done light. Smells the same, looks the same. Palate is less grainy and the body is lighter. As familiar as I am with the Boston Lager, and as lazy as I feel right now, I don’t what else to say.

3.81/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

My curiosity is piqued in that of the Top 50 Light Lagers on this site, I have reviewed 35 of them, to date. What makes this one so glaring is that it is # 6 & with this review, I will have reviewed the top 21 & I am now looking for Michelob Ultra Amber to complete the top 33! The reason for their absences is that they are in bottle format only & it is only my eradication of the Chez Woody Bottle Backlog that has gotten me to this one. Onward!

From the bottle: "Before introducing a light beer, we spent 2 years and brewed 23 different recipes. This drive for flavor perfection means we poured more than 7,000 gallons of pretty good beer down the drain. One happy visitor to our brewery asked if he could apply for a job as 'the drain'. Cheers! [undersigned] Jim Koch".

Ha ha! I have never gone on the tour, but clearly, that is a man after my own heart. I will have to satiate myself by
Pop!ping the cap and drinking the contents of the bottle. Speaking of which, is it possible to "dump" as opposed to "pour" the contents of a bottle into a glass? I tried, anyway. To say that the foam came angrily roaring up would be to understate the case! Two-plus fingers of fizzy, foamy, rocky, tawny appeared for my perusal & then subsequently faded into memory. Color was Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. The toasty, biscuit malts were prevalent on the nose and this did not seem like any of the other Top 10 Light Lagers from previous reviews. This actually smelled palatable! Mouthfeel was, well ,,, light. I guess that sacrifices needed to be made somewhere. The taste was kind of sugary, vaguely reminiscent of maple syrup, but still quite tasty as opposed to others of its ilk. Finish was semi-sweet, which was also unexpected, given its initial flavors. I know that my numbers are going to be high on this one, but it is supposed to be to style, not to personal taste.

3.68/5  rDev +12.9%

12 ounce bottle into signature pint glass, best before 1/2017. Pours crystal clear golden orange/amber color with a 1-2 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation retaining the cap. Aromas of cracker, lightly toasted biscuit, light caramel, herbal, light pepper, and floral/grassy earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of bready malt and light-moderate earthy hop notes; with solid strength. Taste of cracker, lightly toasted biscuit, light caramel, herbal, light pepper, and floral/grassy earthiness. Light herbal/spicy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of cracker, lightly toasted biscuit, light caramel, herbal, light pepper, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice robustness and balance of bready malt and light-moderate earthy hop flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance, and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and light-medium body; with a very smooth, moderately crisp/dry, fairly bready/grainy, and lightly creamy mouthfeel that is nice. Very clean on lager flavors, with zero yeast notes present. Overall this is a nice light lager style. All around good robustness and balance of bready malt and light-moderate earthy hop flavors; very smooth, crisp, clean, and refreshing to drink. Very flavorful with a nice mouthfeel for the low ABV; feels like a lighter version of Boston lager for the most part. A nicely enjoyable offering.

3.23/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

As far as "light" beers go, this one is pretty decent. Comes off as a lighter boston lager in the appearance department. Amber in color, lighter, 1/2" white head. Nice retention for style. Aroma has well, nothing really going on.

Taste, yeah, I mean, there is discernable hops and malt here. Its light, but that is exactly what they were going for. A lighter bodied Boston Lager, delivers for what it is. Not my cup of tea, but I know plenty of people I would serve this to.

3.09/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

For a light beer, this is very good. The one I'm trying is a year past the Best Buy date and it still is drinkable. I think that's a good sign but on second thought, maybe it isn't.

3.89/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Remarkably rich gold color for a light beer, or any beer for that matter, with light cap and some lacing.

Aroma of caramel malt and something deeper, perhaps roasted malt, mild hit of spicy, floral hops.

Taste is straight forward and much more so than any other light beer I've tried. I don't know how many that is but dozens at least. Nice, almost pastry like flavor upfront, I'm thinking strudel, followed by malt of some depth. I've had full horsepower beers with less flavor. Mid palate taste resolves into more of a yeasty bread sensation with hops entering the picture as if sprinkled on top. Crisp finish with some hop touches in the aftertaste yet no roast malt or hop bitterness apparent. Very clean and refreshing.

Medium to slightly full texture. Body has a rounded creaminess sparked by a prickle of carbonation.

Very surprising overall. I poured a light beer and drank a regular one. Like Boston Lager with all the edges rounded off. I can't call it complex but it is well put together and presented with a ribbon on top.

2.21/5  rDev -32.2%

I have tried and rated many Sam Adams brews and this is the first one that I must say tastes and smells like it was mass produced by people who don't care.

Granted, I think that the concept of light beer is almost as oxymoronish as non-alcoholic beer. That said, if I had to pick a favorite light beer, it would probably still be Miller.

3.51/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Had this one straight from the bottle. Aroma was caramel malts and faint hoppiness. Taste is, you guessed it, light and crisp. Some small bitterness on the finish, keeps it from being just another light lager. Definitely more than just a watered down Boston Lager.

3.25/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Had this one out of the bottle, I was actually surprised they still make this and people buy it. It's quite an oddity for sure, but not in a good way. Like an O'Douls Amber kind of way. Looks clear, amber color, light head kicks off some lacing.

Smell is light, some graininess and nondescript sweetness. Taste is pretty weak, it's got the caramel maltiness of a Boston Lager, just lacking everything that makes BL a decent beer. Crisp finish isn't actually too bad. Overall just very underwhelming, but probably the best light beer I've had.

4.7/5  rDev +44.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my favorite light beer. Just the perfect amount of flavor and 'lightness' for a light beer. Pretty easy to drink a few of these and not get weighed down and still have room for a meal. I wish this beer was more readily available in bars and restaurants.

3.74/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

This one pours a clear orange color, with a small head, and a good bit of lacing.

Smells fairly malty, honey, toasted malt, and grain. Not a whole lot of hoppy notes on the palate here.

This is really a pretty solid take on a light lager, far more palatable than most in the style. It's got a grainy honey-like sweetness, with a crisp kick on the end. Simple, but certainly enjoyable.

This is light bodied, with a moderate level of carbonation, and a sweet honeyed mouthfeel.

A really fairly solid beer here, nothing amazing, but for the style it's excellent.

4.23/5  rDev +29.8%

(12 oz bottle, brewery-fresh date Dec 2015... poured into a shaker)

L: crystal-clear liquid, mildly-fiery amber color... not quite finger width pad of foam, which does peter out in standard time... nice that it's not yellow

S: quick whiff and it's like a malty amber German lager (that's a compliment!), and relatively potent... but knowing how pretty much all of SA's amber beers taste, I think I know what to expect on the palate... this is all malt, by the way - very little in the way of hops, though there's a lil fruitiness (almost like an English ale) on the edges

T: ok, this is definitely not a watered-down Boston Lager... nice, crisp, clean malt profile, which is actually kind of overshadowed by the fruity, slightly spicy hop flavor... you would be hard pressed to immediately pin this as a light lager, but the dry clean finish may convince you... the flavors aren't explosive, but compared to the rest of the lot, this is a revelation

F: quite a light body, but with more than enough smoothness and muscle on its bones so it doesn't come across watery... very light and dry finish, super easy to drink quickly without feeling full

O: for a light lager, this is fantastic... I would actually drink this on a regular basis if I had to go 'light'... but of course I'm curious if they could (and I think they could) get even more flavor going with this beer

A-Pours a straw color with a slight head and lacing
A-Aroma has slight malt hints
T-The taste follows the nose with a slight malt flavor
M-A light bodied decently carbonated beer
O-A decent lager

3.75/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Can't believe I haven't rated this beer yet, poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. This beer is a dark golden amber color with a nice thick short white head. The flavor is yeasty with a hop finish, very good flavor for a light beer. Overall, an excellent light beer and a good beer overall.

Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.26 out of 5 with 2,266 ratings