Sam Adams Light | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Read the review
Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Ratings: 2,222 |  Reviews: 838
3.75/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a standard pint glass.

Pours a nice amber color with a surprisingly persistent, puffy head.

Smell is decent. Muted, generic malts, with an ever-so-slight fruitiness detected.

Taste is clean, neat, and refreshing. Has a lot more body than your typical light beer, and that allows some of the (albeit mild) flavors to show their stuff. It's a nice, mild, generic malt profile, and the slight fruitiness from the nose remains.

Mouthfeel is excellent. It's a fuller brew, in mouthfeel and flavor, than almost every non-light adjunct lager that I've tasted. While this may not be a crowd-pleaser at parties, it will be a crowd-satisfier.

Drinkability is quite high. The mildness, pleasant flavor, and manageable ABVs make this a great party choice.

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best before March, 2011.

12oz. bottle served cool into the curvy signature Samuel Adams glass.

I haven't had a light beer in years but this one stands out already for being a few shades darker than typical. It has a nice golden amber color with good clarity. The head is thick and sturdy.

Aroma is more hoppy than any light beer I remember but it still leans towards a malt-forward balance.

Flavor is better than expected with a good amount of hop bitterness, maybe along the lines of an English pale ale. While the flavor isn't remarkable, it certainly has much more boldness than your more common light lager. It's well balanced and very drinkable as a result.

Mouthfeel is light in body but not thin. It has great carbonation and a clean finish.

Overall, this is the best light lager out there but that's really not saying much. Probably the easiest step for someone to take who's looking to go from BMC to craft. For those of us who have already gone off the deep end, this is a reminder of simpler days.

3.63/5  rDev +8%

Pours a light amber color. Has a nice head to it. Has a hoppy beer scent to it just like Sam Adams lager does. It has a darker taste which is odd for a light beer almost that of Yeungling. It is the best tasting light beer I've ever had. It goes down smooth as well. The color scent taste ratio blows other light beers out of the water. I recommend this beer to everyone.

2.83/5  rDev -15.8%

Usually drank out of the 12oz bottle. Poured a clear amber color with a two finger white head. The aroma was malty and floral. The flavor was a malt base with a citrus finish. Light body and mild carbonation. This is actually one of the better light beers I've had. Better than Sam Adams Lager IMO.

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass.

This beer pours a pale gold colour with about two fingers of head that has poor retention and above-average lacing. Light malts and floral noble hops are chilling out on the nose. A smooth, "beery" aroma, yet quite weak. This has a very light and delicate taste that reminds me of tons of Euro lagers, just done better. It mostly follows the nose, it's not a complex beer, just light malts and a touch of noble hops.

The mouthfeel and drinkability are both quite good, this beer goes down easily. But, as a light beer, that's kind of what it's supposed to do! Just a nice, inoffensive, easy drinking beer that can really hit the spot. Nothing stellar, but it's a nice brew that lives above the "light" label.

reviewed from notes, part of the big sam adams tasting on xams day. we plowed through everyone we could find in the damn state! served cold and poured into a pint glass.

i actually began and ended the night with this one. a nice little light beer to get me in the mood. pours out a light amber with nice head of white that managed to leave some good lacing down the glass throughout the session. smooth and easy on the palate in every way with light grassy notes, malty balance that is just sweet enough, a light and easy going feel and smooth, clean finish that has just a hint of dryness to it..

overall a very solid offering and a light beer that can be counted on to do what it does.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I must applaud this beer. This is the best light beer I've ever had. It has more flavor packed into a light beer than I've experienced.

A- Darker than most light beers. Amber, copper color with descent head that fades fast and leaves little lace.

S- Toast, grass and herbs, biscuits, caramels, floral notes. clean, metallic. Thats a lot for a light beer.

T- Follows the nose. Biscuits and herbs, grass and toasted grain. Sweet caramels. Watery, but a lot of flavor for a light beer.

M- Light, refreshing, crisp, smooth, thin.

D- Very drinkable. Smooth and refreshing with good flavors.

3.55/5  rDev +5.7%

#56. A light variation of a Samuel Adams Lager. Date is December 2010, again another beer I purchased after the expiration date. I have to look out for these dates more often. Let this light lager warm up; the flavors have better opportunity to be felt and tasted rather than when it be served at near frozen temperatures.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle to a pint glass at room temp.

(Appearance) Beer pours a 3 finger-depth highly carbonated head that settles down quickly to a thick cover in about 2 minutes. Color is a slightly hazy dark orange, much darker than most light lagers I have had. Carbonation is lively and plentiful. Looks decent, but nothing here is exceptional. 3

(Smell) Light cereal malts and some docile floral odors. Very clean, almost metallic smell. Caramel odors are surprisingly low-to-absent as far as I can tell which differs this from other non-light Samuel Adams beers, where it is almost a common ingredient. Potency average, a big improvement for the light lager category over pretty much anything. The end result is something that I neither die for nor resent. It's really a 50/50 aroma. 3

(Taste) Light taste but a far better one than the smell gives off. Some light clean malts and perhaps some more caramel. Not very hoppy and very little aftertaste. Big swigs reveal some alcohol traces. Nothing amazing but not a big letdown. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) Considerably smooth, but rightfully so. Finish is pretty amicable and lacks any defining characteristics aside from a stretched out malty body. Body is on the lighter side of Samuel Adams beer. Possibly thin, possibly watery. This seems like a regular Samuel Adams lager plus a hefty deal of water as nearly every aspect of the beer has been cut in half. Mouthfeel is probably the most impressive part, as it remains pleasurably smooth without going flat. Not a bad mouthfeel at all. 4.5

(Drinkability) For light beers, one of the highest I can give. There's nothing amazing about this beer and I don't ever drink light beers, but this one has far more characteristic and detail for a light lager over most macros. Nothing overwhelming or even remotely dominant in flavor. It does a good job at remaining passive without getting boring. I could finish off a sixer with ease should I ever be watching my waistline. 4

Verdict: Light beers never venturing far into my drinker's repertoire, I have to say that this is one of the best light lagers one can get for their money. It does a good job at being light without sacrificing quality or content. It's not too watery and has plenty of flavor, much more than, say Bud Light. In the end, I wouldn't go for more knowing that a Sam Adams Boston Lager costs about the same and is far more fulfilling, but if you feel like a light beer for whatever reason, there is no shame in picking one of these up. B- (3.45)

3.55/5  rDev +5.7%

12oz bottle into a pint glass, thanks Jim.

A- Sammy light, looks darker than most light lagers, a clear orange burnt copper look with a head that diminishes as it builds if you will. No lace.

S- Smells maltier than most light lagers Two row I believe, a definite caramel vibe with a noble hopage.

T- Pretty tasty for a four pointer, light in nature, nothing extravagent, malts and noble hops. Alot in a little package no frills style. Caramel.

M- Feel kinda lost me, kinda dead on the tounge, there was a spritz when I popped the cap, it's carbed, but feels DEAD!! Light with a malty body, the nobel hops impart no bitterness.

D- I liked this to an extent, and I like that it's a four percenter, my favorite kind.

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours a light amber, copper color with a one finger head of bone white head. Head recedes rather quickly and leaves little to no lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is a light herbal, grassy hop, with a big hearty dose of grain.

T: Taste starts with a toasted caramel malt sweetness. A hint of hop bitterness comes through. Grain takes over the middle and carries through with a bit of grassiness in the finish.

M: Lighter bodied, medium to high carbonation, nice crisp clean feel to the body.

D: Goes down very easily, somewhat tasty, not filling, minor kick, and a good representation of the style. I've not had a light lager before and although I wouldn't seek this out, this is a great alternative to the macro selection generally available out at the bars.

The beer pours an amber color with a white head, considerably darker than the BMC light beers this is going up against.

The aroma has some biscuit malt to it, but it is also heavy on the grain. The flavor is more of the same. I get a little bit of grass from the hops, but the flavor is predominantly grain and bready malt, with just a little bit of toffee mixed in. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Better than other light lagers such as Bud Light, but still not too much going on here. One of the weakest offerings from Boston Beer Company.

2.76/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured a bottle into my Northern Brewer pint glass. Freshness date was notched Nov 2010, but I've had this thing in the fridge since the summer so I'm pretty confident it hasn't gone bad.

A: Pours a copper color, slightly amber, with lots of fizzy carbonation. There's not a prolonged head. In fact, after a minute or two all that's left is a few bubbles skimming the surface.

S: Smells like chewy caramel. The aromas don't overpower. There's some faint noble hops there that seem mostly floral. A little roastiness is present.

T: Too watered down for me. The faintest of malts is there, but barely. Better as it warms, but I'd much rather prefer the standard Sam Adams brew when given the choice.

M: Carbonation is spot on, but it's too light for my liking. (Yes - I do realize this is a light beer.)

D: Drinkability is definitely there. Could drink this all day long if I had to. I only think I would choose something with more flavor.

Seems like a decent session beer if you wanted something a notch above BMC. Otherwise, I think Sam Adams has plenty better options.

2.85/5  rDev -15.2%

Golden Amber and a very foamy head

The nose is nothing. I feel like I'm smelling beer while sick. Light citrus, grassy toasted malts

Thin body with descent carbonation. Burnt caramel, very faint and mild fruit.Some off flavors. Lacking in the end. I only want more to get over the after taste.

For Sam I'm not impressed. Light beer shouldn't even be a category.

3.71/5  rDev +10.4%

12oz bottle in SA perfect pint glass.

A: Pours a glowing orange with a fluffy white head that quickly faded into a thin film leaving no lace.
S: Light notes of toasted grains with a touch of lemon and sweet malt.
T: Very light flavors of grain and grain husk. A fair amount of sweet malt comes through in the finish. Aftertaste is a touch sticky and astringent.
M: Medium bodied, bubbly crispy carbonation, and a kind of soda-like mouthfeel.
D: I'm no expert on the style since most light lagers I see are of the BMC variety, but this one is actually drinkable and is something I wouldn't mind having again (in the right situation).

3.27/5  rDev -2.7%

I usually despise all light beers, but on a whim at the local casino, the drink lady brought me one of these by mistake. I stared at it for a while before I finally decided I'd actually try it. I am a huge Sam Adams fan and this is one of the few Sam beers I have not tried. It was slightly better than an average light beer, with a weak aroma, non-existent taste, and no trace of head, with way too much carbonation. While it could be worse, it could have been better.

2.06/5  rDev -38.7%

Its pretty dark for a light beer but overall a light amberish golden color. White head that's smooth and creamy looking. It looks extremely carbonated with bubbles rushing to the top to form the creamy head. Some lacing on the bottom half of the glass.

It has that light smell that most light beers have. I can smell the hops and the grainy smell. It smells a little better than light beers though.

Not as carbonated as I thought. Very smooth.

Is there even a taste? This is the most bland tasting light beer I have ever tried... I take that back... Coors light is, this is almost as bad. I'm trying to taste the hops I can't. Tastes like carbonated water and a single hop added.

Drink Ability I don't like the taste, I don't want another one ever.

If you like Coors Light and you're tired of getting made fun of for drinking it, give yourself a better name and you really don't have to sacrifice the taste all that much from Coors Light. At least you're drinking a Sam's, right?

3.1/5  rDev -7.7%

Served from bottle into a wine glass.

A - Beer is a very light copper color, but stillmore than any light beer I've ever seen. The head was nonexistent, except for a tiny ring around the glass. A little bit of lacing.

S - Aroma is a hint of biscuity malt and a hint of hops, but it's so faint I can't even guess the hop variety.

T - The taste is nice, but very watered-down and faint. There is a small amount of hops bitterness that is well balanced with the small amount of malt.

M - The body is light.

D - Overall, this is enjoyable for a light beer, but it does not stand up at all against other Samuel Adams beers. Still, if I have to have light beer arond, I'd prefer this one.

3.2/5  rDev -4.8%

I was at the airport and it was the choice between this and Hieneken in a bottle. I wasn't thrilled about either but since I hadn't tried this I thought I would. It was pretty much exactly as advertised: a light version of sam adams. It did have the malty character but in a very watery way. The color was certainly darker than a typical bud or becks but not as dark as a regular sam. aroma was light but present. Flavor, as mentioned had a decent malt presence but a little watery. I had two of them in the early afternoon and was able to easily navigate through the rest of my day.

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

Amber brew with a nose of honey, caramel and grassy hops. Light crisp body. I can not say the brew does not have flavors, but they are barely noticeable (some earthy hops and honey.). Slightly dry short finish. Better than most light beers but still it is just barely drinkable.

There arent to many beers that I would give a perfect score to but this is one of them. I wish this was a standard for an American Lager. I really enjoy the malt aroma from this beer. The color is gorgeous, a hint of yellow with light amber hue to it. There is a very nice malt and hop balance here. Light enough to make it drinkable and yet flavorful enough to keep you wanting more! Great beer!

3.73/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice copper color with a good white head, that left decent lacing on the glass as it fell. this beer smells like a light beer, but one that has been kicked up a notch. It doesn't smell too light, and it also has some hop presence and some caramel notes. The taste is good, I mean you cant expect a lot of complex flavors from a light beer, but this was definitely surprising. It had a good sweetness to it, and also you could actually taste some hops. The mouthfeel was good because It had a light body with medium carbonation, but it was not watery like almost all other light beers. I would say that the drinkability was excellent. I really could drink these all night long. This is the best light beer I have tried, and it showed me that there really is a good light beer out there. I think Sam Adams really achieved what they were going for with this beer, which was making a light beer that didn't completely suck. I was scared to try this at first, but I really think its a quality beer. Good job. Cheers.

2.81/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - beer pours with a light amber/copper tone; half-inch white-light-light cream colored head formed and withered away very quickly; low-to-moderate carbonation; carbonation lacks life

S - smells a lot like the other lighter beers (miller, bud); lacks a hoppy smell; has a corn-grain like aroma

T - not much taste; no bitterness, probably due to the lack of hops; has a unique flavor when compared to other light beers, kind of tastes like a Miller Lite but with more favor

M - flat carbonation feel; watery and no texture to beer

D - high caliber light beer, lacking much of the flavor that I need to keep coming back to it; I think my description sums it up best "Sam Adams's attempt to break into the light beer market should be recognized as a success, but as with most light beers, the emphasis is on volume. Sacrificing the much needed taste and quality."

3.42/5  rDev +1.8%

Sam Adams Light pours a copper color, with a decent head that stayed around. There is a very mellow smell. The taste is also mellow, light, as the name implies. Not too much to say about this one. Overall this is a nice beer, very mellow but deffently the best light beer I ever had.

4.3/5  rDev +28%

For a light beer, I have to admit this is one of the best offerings available. I actually has taste that makes you believe it can't be a light. After trying watered down piss offered by just about everyone... Triple Hops this... silver that... low carb blah blah blah... it is nice to finally find a light beer you could enjoy while knowing you were at least attempting to keep your diet in line.

3.63/5  rDev +8%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a light copper with a nice white head and a bit of lacing on the way down. Visible carbonation bubbles rising throughout. Smells fairly light, but brings a decent amount of light grain with hints of caramel. Some like Noble hops as well. The taste is slightly sweet and grainy and brings a fairly crisp hop bite. Light body with good carbonation. Certainly one of the better light lagers out there, if not the best.

Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)