Sam Adams Light | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light
3.26/5
Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Ratings: 2,233 |  Reviews: 842
3.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance- Amber in color with a quickly dissipating fizzy white head. Claims to be a light beer but I'm not sure I buy it from the appearance.

Smell- I'm mostly picking up malts, the aroma is faint but present. What I can smell isn't bad.

Taste- This is pretty full flavored as far as light beers come. Very malty well balanced by hops. Although after looking at the caloric content I'm not sure this is really a light beer but who knows?

Mouthfeel- goes down smooth and has a fairly light body, although it's on the heavy side for the light beer category.

Drinkability- I'm pretty conflicted on this one. On one hand it went down fast and was pleasant to drink. On the other hand the only reason I can see to drink light beers is to save on the calories and this doesn't do it. For the same number of calories,, I'll take a more full flavored beer.

3.83/5  rDev +17.5%

It has a foamy/fizzy off white head that settles to a thin film. It's a clear golden orange color. Tons of bubbles rising.

Has a strong smell of noble hops with a light sweetness and earthy/grassy aromas.

Very light sweet malt flavor that's very fleeting, along with some light toasted malt. Very light bitterness. There's not really a ton of flavor, but I really do like it. Considering the "light" moniker, it's really a very good beer.

It's light bodied and highly carbonated with a mild dryness and crisp, clean finish.

This is a really easy drinking beer that's light and refreshing. It's not loaded with flavor, but it's still really satisfying.

3.66/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle bottle poured into a plastic pint glass.

Pours a light ruddy brown color with a very thin white head. Nose is malty and sweet.

Taste is nothing like a light beer. It's malty and rich but a bit watery. Mouthfeel is creamy and sharp. Overall a great light beer

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

12 oz brown bottle with enjoy before date of August 2010

Sam Adams Light poured a clear amber type color and produced a small off- white head that reduced to a collar of very thin lacing - however, better than most other light lagers. The nose is of faint malt. Taste is of light toasted bread with subdued hop bitterness. Finish is clean with fine carbonation that is slightly tingly on the tongue.

I am not a fan of light beer, however, if you are going to drink one Sam Adams Light would be the one for me.

2.29/5  rDev -29.8%

Its a great light beer, that being said its still a light beer. It looks great when poured but I was dissapointed with the smell and taste. I'd drink it again if it came in a variety pack but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it. Overall I wasn't impressed but I can see why some enjoy it.

3.51/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Part 3 of the Summer Styles 12-pack.

A- Pours a surprisingly dark amber with a creamy 1 inch head.

S- Lightly toasty malts with a little alcohol smell. Not a whole lot going on here.

T- Sweet malts with a bready cracker-like finish reminiscent of most lagers I've had. Definitely more flavor than its Light label would lead you to believe.

M/D- Pretty thin with reasonable carbonation. Could put away a few of these, but might get sick of it eventually.

A very good beer for its style, but not my favorite SA offering. Definitely a good session beer that won't make you feel too guilty.

2.47/5  rDev -24.2%

Just give me a bottle of water. OK, maybe a Propel. Yeah, flavored water. Now don't get me wrong, I believe that SAL won that award that did not have a Lite beer category, it just makes me wonder what the other beers tasted like. I could probably drink a bunch of these and enjoy them, only, when I purchase a high fluten beer I want TASTE! Overall SAL does a good job of appearing good, it just doesn't do anything for the taste buds.

I will drink it, if I were wealthy.

3.8/5  rDev +16.6%

Wow what a head, very tight rich head of about 4 inches when poured into my chilled clear beer mug. Fine lacing right to the last sip. The color is much darker than I would have expected for a light lager. A beautiful 16 on the SRM chart. Nice sweet malt smell, nothing overpowering. Nothing overpowering about the taste, just crisp and refreshing. I would drink this beer again, one of my top choices for a light beer.

3.95/5  rDev +21.2%

One of my favorite beers that you can find anywhere. Nothing distinguishable about the taste, but it has the perfect amount of carbonation and does not taste watered at all. I love almost all sam adams, and this beer does it for any time of the year.

3.76/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours a clear amber color with visible carbobation and about a one finger frothy head, which gives way to minimal lacing. The aroma is faint with a toasty malt backbone with hints of citrus. The taste is of two row malt toastiness with hints of banana and ctirus and a small hop bite to it. The motuhfeel is moderately carbonated and slightly watery. Overall for a light beer it has great taste and flavor. You can easily drink a sixer of these and want more, for a light I would go here first.

3.25/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured into a pint glass

A - Pours a crystal-clear golden amber with a quickly dissipating foamy white head. Looks like beer.

S - Sweet toasted malt and a bit of citrus.

T - More slightly sweet toasted malts with a bit of floral hoppiness. Pleasant, but not earth-shattering.

M - Slightly watery, but that's to be expected from a light beer. Very crisp and drinkable, with a light body and high carbonation.

D - Crisp and refreshing, could easily kill a sixer without feeling too bad about it. Definitely the best light beer out there, but that's kinda a "valley of the blind" scenario. Still enjoyable for what it is.

3.42/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Geez, I'm kinda hard pressed to admit it, but this is an elite light beer. Really looks good, like an amber lager.

Taste, there is taste here people! Most malt and hop feel in anything this side of Sprecher's diet beer. I guess if this is the route you need to go, SA is highly recommended.

Appearance: golden brown in color, clear, high carbonation, 1/3 inch head

Smell: honey, sugar, and toasted malt

Taste: toasted malt, honey, grass, and small sugar and hops in the background

Mouthfeel: light bodied, high carbonation, sweeter than I would expect with a slightly bitter back bone

Drinkability: Very good for the style and one of my favorites in the style. This does have elements of the taste I associate with Sam Adams. That being said, I am likely to go to other beer styles first and would pass it over if it were not in the variety pack.

The beer has a nice amber orange color to it. also has a nice white head about 1" then disapears to a really thin white lace. A nice malty smell. It has a very nice malty taste at first then a little hop flavor on the back of the tongue. I would say it is very drinkable, and would take it over most light beers.

3.23/5  rDev -0.9%

Standard brown bottle with a brewery freshness date of August poured into a SA perfect pint glass. Sam Adams light appears a clear light orange color with about a finger of head that is composed mostly of bubbles that rise to the surface from the etching in the bottom of the sensory glass. The aroma has a very light grainy sweetness and a touch of hops. Taste includes the grainy sweetness upfront as indicated by the aroma and through the medium light body has a slight bitterness in the finish. Moderate level of carbonation and a slightly noticable alcohol character in the back of the throat for only 4%. There is a lingering presence of light levels of diacetyl mixed with the grain left in the mouth after each sip tasting quite buttery. Overall not bad, I guess if I was forced into drinking a light lager this would be the one to have.

3.55/5  rDev +8.9%

Single bottle (best by Nov 2010) poured into a shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Clear orange-yellow amber color. Poured a 1/4" thick white foam that died down to just a ring around the edge. No lacing.

Smell: Very faint fruit-like malt with a hint of citrus. Nice.

Taste: Hmmm...how do I describe this one? A combination of malt and metallic-bitter finish that says lager. It's a bit grainy, but it's a solid lager. No matter how many times I sip or swig it - my brain is consistently saying lager beer an I can't tease out much else.

Mouthfeel: Plenty of carbonation - but not so much as to kill all the flavors. Nothing special otherwise.

Drinkability: For a light beer I'll give it this - it's very drinkable, it quenches the thirst well, and it went very well with Chinese food. I'm rather impressed for a light beer - I can see why it is the highest rated one and I would not hesitate to reach for it if I had to pick a light beer.

4.43/5  rDev +35.9%

A: Clean, clear amber color. If you poured this from a non-labeled bottle, you wouldn't know it was a light beer. Very impressive. Pretty good sized head that fades before too long, doesn't leave behind too much lacing.

S: Floral hops and slight caramel malts are present. Much more so than in other light beers.

T: For a light beer, amazing. Hops and malt with floral notes in the background. Much better than other light beers.

M: For a light beer, this is full bodied. Very impressive.

D: Drinkability is perfect. Very easy to drink a few.

If you're been searching for a light beer that you can actually taste, then Sam Adams Light is the way to go. Cheers!

3.33/5  rDev +2.1%

A- Pours a orangish yellow with a white foaming head. Retention time is roughly a minute. This has a better appearance than other light beers.

S- Hoppy, grainy, malts, a little bitterness. Average smell.

T- A rather crisp taste with a hint of malts. You can tell there is some wateriness because this is a light beer after all, but the taste is great compared to other light beers.

M- Some carbonation and a little irritation. Average in this category.

D- Yes, drinkable. I definitely could drink a few of these at once.

Initially, I was a little hesitant about trying this beer because I am not a big fan of light beer. But because this is from the Boston Beer Company, I decided to give it a whirl. Boy, I am glad I did. Overall, a nice brew, much better than any other light beer I have ever tasted. I would consider this the "King of Light Beers." I would definitely have another one.

3.45/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

A: One finger head retreats into a thin white line on top. Body is a typical Boston Lager color. Does not look at all like a light beer,

S: Extra weak aroma, barely any hop or malt profile.

T/M: A crisp, bland taste that is expected by a light beer on the front. With a nice finish of malt cream taste, this brew does stray away from others and hit some non-light beer notes. A slight zing taste that hits the bottom notes the whole way through.

D: The overall drinkablity of this beer is high, easy to drink and is not heavy. Would I buy this> no. A nice beer to try, but not one I would get,> I typically do not get light beers. But this one did have a high flavor content for a light beer. If you are in search of a light beer this is the one.

3.75/5  rDev +15%

Cloudy pale tan color. Nothing too special. Not much head but wasn't really expected.

Smelled very mildly of hops and grains.

Slightly hoppy taste if you look for it but otherwise pretty mellow. Keeping in consideration it was a light beer it was pretty good.

Very light feel in the mouth. Slightly watery almost.

Very drinkable for a light beer however. I usually dislike light beers but I could sip on this one for a night or two.

Not dissapointed but deffinatly not the best by Sam Adams.

4.06/5  rDev +24.5%

Rating this for what it is as a "light" and not across all styles helps it out quite a bit, but in any case it's actually a solid beer all around on the grand scheme of things. Without taking style into account, I would still probably give it a solid 3.0.

A: Looks like a real beer? The Orange-Amber color is a refreshing departure from the usual spirit-draining straw color of the other readily available Light offerings.

S: Well... It is a light beer. I don't smell much, but that's about par for the course.

T: Mild malt sweetness with a dry finish.Tasty, but with little hops

M: Good, less watery than this Light beer's short-bus riding cousins.

D: This is a beer that just makes me happy that someone made it. Infinitely more drinkable than your typical "lite" in that it's interesting enough to want more than one of.

3.4/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle.

Pours a clear amber color. Very tiny head that is hardly worth noting.

Very light malty aroma with some faint grain. A faint hop aroma is present too.

Taste is a bit malty, some very mild hop flavor also. There is a little bit of hoppy aftertaste. Slightly watery, not as much as other lights though. There is not a whole lot of body. Mouthfeel is decent and drinkability is good.

Overall it's not bad. Certainly not typical of most light beers. This is probably the only light beer I have had that I would have again if offered.

3.95/5  rDev +21.2%

Review from notes taken a few hours ago when I poured it from a bottle into a clean, clear pint glass at LongHorn's Steakhouse in Mentor, Ohio at a price of $3.99. "For brewery fresh taste enjoy by the month marked on the label" indicated "APR" as the month. Not sure which year, unfortunately.

A Very light brown creamy but minimal head over a translucent brown body. A little bit better than average. 3.5

S Well, a light smelling medium roast malt with minimal to no hops to the nose. Again, slightly better than average. 3.5

T Medium roast malt and minimal hops but all of it in a muted, "light" form. That being said, this is one of the better light beers that I have tasted. 4.0

M A pretty smooth and full feel for a light beer. 4.0

D Very, very good (and part of the point I am sure) 4.5

3.13/5  rDev -4%

Poured into a standard pint glass. beer is amber and clear. Forms a big head of medium bubbles after a hard pour. Carbonation seems low and the head leaves some lacing on the glass. Looks OK.

Aroma is slightly sweet but overall really weak. Some malt.

Beer is thin and a little watery with a grainy aftertaste. Its mildly sweet on the front but overall its a little muted. I guess its a pretty good LIGHT LAGER but its not a very palatable beer. I'd rather be drinking almost any pilsner to this. What a shame.

3.4/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Orange in color, high in clarity, with a very thin head.

S: Smells mostly malty, with roasted and brown sugar aromas.

T: Much thinner taste then smell. A gentle sweet beginning, mostly brown sugar, fades to an orange citrus bite.

M: Fairly thin in body, with a lot of carbonation.

D: Not the most flavorful beer, but hey, it's a light beer. It is watery compared to Boston Lager, but a whole lot better than any other light beer I've had. It's refreshing and enjoyable and I'm sure we'll cross paths again.

Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.26 out of 5 with 2,233 ratings