Sam Adams Light | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light
3.26/5
Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Ratings: 2,233 |  Reviews: 842
2.5/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.35/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.81/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

My curiosity is piqued in that of the Top 50 Light Lagers on this site, I have reviewed 35 of them, to date. What makes this one so glaring is that it is # 6 & with this review, I will have reviewed the top 21 & I am now looking for Michelob Ultra Amber to complete the top 33! The reason for their absences is that they are in bottle format only & it is only my eradication of the Chez Woody Bottle Backlog that has gotten me to this one. Onward!

From the bottle: "Before introducing a light beer, we spent 2 years and brewed 23 different recipes. This drive for flavor perfection means we poured more than 7,000 gallons of pretty good beer down the drain. One happy visitor to our brewery asked if he could apply for a job as 'the drain'. Cheers! [undersigned] Jim Koch".

Ha ha! I have never gone on the tour, but clearly, that is a man after my own heart. I will have to satiate myself by
Pop!ping the cap and drinking the contents of the bottle. Speaking of which, is it possible to "dump" as opposed to "pour" the contents of a bottle into a glass? I tried, anyway. To say that the foam came angrily roaring up would be to understate the case! Two-plus fingers of fizzy, foamy, rocky, tawny appeared for my perusal & then subsequently faded into memory. Color was Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. The toasty, biscuit malts were prevalent on the nose and this did not seem like any of the other Top 10 Light Lagers from previous reviews. This actually smelled palatable! Mouthfeel was, well ,,, light. I guess that sacrifices needed to be made somewhere. The taste was kind of sugary, vaguely reminiscent of maple syrup, but still quite tasty as opposed to others of its ilk. Finish was semi-sweet, which was also unexpected, given its initial flavors. I know that my numbers are going to be high on this one, but it is supposed to be to style, not to personal taste.

4.8/5  rDev +47.2%

3.68/5  rDev +12.9%

12 ounce bottle into signature pint glass, best before 1/2017. Pours crystal clear golden orange/amber color with a 1-2 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation retaining the cap. Aromas of cracker, lightly toasted biscuit, light caramel, herbal, light pepper, and floral/grassy earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of bready malt and light-moderate earthy hop notes; with solid strength. Taste of cracker, lightly toasted biscuit, light caramel, herbal, light pepper, and floral/grassy earthiness. Light herbal/spicy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of cracker, lightly toasted biscuit, light caramel, herbal, light pepper, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice robustness and balance of bready malt and light-moderate earthy hop flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance, and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and light-medium body; with a very smooth, moderately crisp/dry, fairly bready/grainy, and lightly creamy mouthfeel that is nice. Very clean on lager flavors, with zero yeast notes present. Overall this is a nice light lager style. All around good robustness and balance of bready malt and light-moderate earthy hop flavors; very smooth, crisp, clean, and refreshing to drink. Very flavorful with a nice mouthfeel for the low ABV; feels like a lighter version of Boston lager for the most part. A nicely enjoyable offering.

3.23/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

As far as "light" beers go, this one is pretty decent. Comes off as a lighter boston lager in the appearance department. Amber in color, lighter, 1/2" white head. Nice retention for style. Aroma has well, nothing really going on.

Taste, yeah, I mean, there is discernable hops and malt here. Its light, but that is exactly what they were going for. A lighter bodied Boston Lager, delivers for what it is. Not my cup of tea, but I know plenty of people I would serve this to.

2.71/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

3.42/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Simply one the better light beers out there. Has a little weirdness on the back end I can't really describe but overall pretty good for what it is.

4.03/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle. I just don't like the taste of this one. Has some distinctly Sam Adam's flavors going on, but as of super imposed over an awful beer.

3.25/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.37/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.77/5  rDev -15%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.74/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.66/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.75/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.42/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.27/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.09/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

For a light beer, this is very good. The one I'm trying is a year past the Best Buy date and it still is drinkable. I think that's a good sign but on second thought, maybe it isn't.

3.27/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.89/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Remarkably rich gold color for a light beer, or any beer for that matter, with light cap and some lacing.

Aroma of caramel malt and something deeper, perhaps roasted malt, mild hit of spicy, floral hops.

Taste is straight forward and much more so than any other light beer I've tried. I don't know how many that is but dozens at least. Nice, almost pastry like flavor upfront, I'm thinking strudel, followed by malt of some depth. I've had full horsepower beers with less flavor. Mid palate taste resolves into more of a yeasty bread sensation with hops entering the picture as if sprinkled on top. Crisp finish with some hop touches in the aftertaste yet no roast malt or hop bitterness apparent. Very clean and refreshing.

Medium to slightly full texture. Body has a rounded creaminess sparked by a prickle of carbonation.

Very surprising overall. I poured a light beer and drank a regular one. Like Boston Lager with all the edges rounded off. I can't call it complex but it is well put together and presented with a ribbon on top.

2.21/5  rDev -32.2%

I have tried and rated many Sam Adams brews and this is the first one that I must say tastes and smells like it was mass produced by people who don't care.

Granted, I think that the concept of light beer is almost as oxymoronish as non-alcoholic beer. That said, if I had to pick a favorite light beer, it would probably still be Miller.

Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.26 out of 5 with 2,233 ratings