Sam Adams Light | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Read the review
Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Ratings: 2,230 |  Reviews: 841
4.62/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I just got home from the bar where i sample various beers. I cleansed my pallet before each.
Sam Adam's light had a great smell for a light beer.
My first sip on my tongue and I said hmmm, not impressed ( I run over all of my taste buds). then when I went to swallow I was surprised (it hit the back ones). It tastes like regular sam adams but with less of a bite. A little more watery. But tthat slides for light beers.
However, I wouldn't suggest this beer, just go for sam Adams. The carbs and calories are still high, which makes drinking it pointless.
Overall this beer is excellent especialy for a light beer. I rated other beers that aren't as good as this higher. I thnk for what this is going for, I believe a vienna lager type beer, it could do a little bit better. But then again, it is a light beer.

4.6/5  rDev +36.9%

I tried this beer on a lark, wanting a bottle of light beer as a 'cleansing ale' after a bomber of the stronger stuff for my thrice a week 'beer night.' I couldn't find the Amstel Light, and purchased one of these.

First of all, I'm not crazy about light beer - many are just glasses of water spoiled - when I see the young guys lugging cases of that stuff to the check stand, I assume they're the victims of slick advert campaigns.

However, this brew amazed me, and I think in the pantheon of light beers should rate far higher than it is here. This is LIGHT BEER folks, not regular, give it its due. It has a firm, almost nutty taste, no skunk and a smooth mouth feel. It pours a rich colour into the glass, rather like my beloved Yuengling, and frankly tastes like an old recipe lager. It is light in alcohol, only 4%, which makes it a great afternoon beer - its flavourful character will hold its own with anything from pasta to burgers.

4.57/5  rDev +36%

Appearance - Fairly dark, but clear gold. Much darker than most lights; actually looks like a beer. Moderate-sized creamy head with that doesn't immediately fade. A little lacing.

Smell - Mild grainy odor. Slightly sweet smelling, but nothing like the adjunct odors of most lights. Might be just a hint of floral hops. Smell is much more noticable than almost all light lagers I've smelled.

Taste - Nice malty change of pace from most light lagers. Sweet, but not adjuncty. Little bit of hops adds a bite of bitterness lacking in most macro lights. Dry and clean finish. Nothing overly complex, but definitely legitimate beer.

Mouthfeel - Quite light, watery even. Heavy-carbonation tang after every mouthfull. Pretty average.

Drinkability - Light, but not like you're used to - its light, but its got taste. I would take this stuff over any light lager I've sampled.

In my experience so far, Sam Adams Light is the king of light lagers. Why? (1) You can taste it, (2) it tastes good and (3) there are indications that this is indeed a beer, i.e. malt and hops not corn and rice. While it's probably best to man up and drink a real beer, if you gotta go light try this.

4.55/5  rDev +35.4%

Pours a copper color with a nice lace of head. The smell has virtually no aromas of corn or rice, but rather malty aromas. The taste has a very caramel malt flavor to it with bitterness being minimal. Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp. This is hands down the best light lager I've ever had. It's gonna be pretty hard to beat this.

4.53/5  rDev +34.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an EXCELLENT beer to try if you're relatively new to beer. Don't let the name fool you, this isn't a "light" beer. It's simply a lighter version of Boston Lager. It's also nothing similar to the vast majority of "light beers". It's full of flavor, uses traditional ingredients (no adjuncts), and is a nice amber color. The only low point to this beer is the lack of head retention and less than desirable lacing; but with that we're talking trivial aesthetics that don't effect how it tastes or drinks.

This was the first "real" beer I tried, and it was love at first taste. Right down the middle balanced, yet you can clearly taste both the malty sweetness and hop bitterness. While the hop character is subtle, it's clearly present. The appearance of this beer is hard to beat. A clear amber hue with a few carbonation strands make for a dazzling display in any beer glass.

I can't praise this beer enough, or stress it's drinkability, especially for beginning drinkers. It's also a great beer to have if you're the driver for the night because of the somewhat modest ABV; all the characteristics of a great non-light beer but you can enjoy one of two more because it won't impair you as fast as most other "real" beers will. Happy Drinking!

4.53/5  rDev +34.8%

A- a lighter version of the regular version. Amber with a medium carbonation. Nice two finger head. Nice look for a light beer, puts all bmc lights to shame.

S- Not bad at all. Again, a less intense version of the regular.

T- Very refreshing after a run or yard work. Great summer beer.

M- pleasent, light and easy going down.

D- Great session beer

Sure do wish all light beers were this good!

4.5/5  rDev +33.9%

Appearance: Clean, clear amber with thin head.

Smell: malt and floral hops.

Taste: Light in body with malty sweetness, undertones of caramel, finishes with a slight hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean finishes dry.

Drinkability: I'm reviewing this as a light beer and as such it is the best I've ever had. Nice and refreshing. But if your main reason for drinking a light beer is calories, and not taste, take note of the 128 calorie count.

4.5/5  rDev +33.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into my pint glass and appears a very rich clear amber color with a finger of tight, eggshell colored foam. Smells of honey, nuts and toasted malt. Tastes of sweet, toasty, bready malted grains, with a touch of nutiness. Excellent body for a light beer with medium carbonation. A fantastic light lager. I could session this forever and a day. The absolute mother of all light beers. Highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +33.9%

A- pours a nice clear light copper color with a foamy head.

S- a pleasant sweet biscuity malt with a hint of spice.

T- Bready malt balanced with a mild hop note.

M- Smooth, perfect carbonation, solid body for this style.

D- Excellent! This "light" beer is in a class of it's own

Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)