Sam Adams Light | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Read the review
Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Reviews: 832 | Ratings: 2,202
4.35/5  rDev +29.5%

Consumed straight from the bottle, no glass to use.

I given a good on appearance because it is from a bottle and I can't really rate, when I can't see.

Smell is good, light hops with a malt backbone. Piney and citrusey at the same time.

Taste is very good for a macro. Malty with a good balance of hops. The label says nobles and I can't disagree. Sourdough bread with pine, citrus with maple syrup....Awesome for a light beer!

Mouthfeel is good, a little bubbly, but feels full bodied.

Drinkability is awesome. A light beer with this much flavor!!!! Give me a case and get outta my way!!!

For a "light" macro, this is awesome...I love it! Perfect for indoctrinating people to the wonderful world of craft beer.

4.35/5  rDev +29.5%

Poured a bottle into glass at 45 degree angle and finished pour in the center. Nice head for a light beer. Suprised by the lacing left by this beer. Smell had some fruity tones to it. The mouthfeel was very smooth and the drinkability was very high. This is a solid light beer and should be compared only to other light beers. The appearance was also impressive with a nice copper color.

4.3/5  rDev +28%

I think this is best light beer I have tasted so far.

A - Golden color, carbinated, white head.

S - Sweetness, light smell, hints of hops. Nice.

T - Love it, hints of malt and hops, not too heavy. Not bitter.

M - Very light in the mouth, not watery, nice and clean feel.

D - I could drink a few of these, best light beer I have tasted.

4.3/5  rDev +28%

I happen to be a fan of Sam Adams for years so my opinion is bias, but this beer is a hearty light beer without the awful aftertaste. Other beers such as Amstel try to pass themselves off as a great tasting light beer, but it's aftertaste is just plain aweful!
Jim Koch did it again and as usual, has yet to disappoint

4.3/5  rDev +28%

Very Good for a light beer probably one of the better light beers out there. Very close to sam adams boston lager a littel less alcohol content though which was the only downside that i see in this one. I think i would definitely buy this beer again.

4.3/5  rDev +28%

I had this beer at a cookout. The host bought one of the summer variety packs of Sam Adams. This was the only beer I had never really tried from it, so I gave it a shot.

I was not sure what to expet, as I enjoy most of Sam Adams offerings, but I am not usually a light beer drinker. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. There was a nice malt aroma, and some barely perceptible hops in the nose. The taste was nice and malty with caramel notes everywhere. Not much hops, just enough to offer some bitterness as a contrast. Mouthfeel was a bit heavily carbonated, but not distracting. Drinkability was high due to the lo ABV and the fact that it is a light lager.

Overall, way more flavor than I could ever expect from a light beer. A solid offering that really isn't just the light alternative to Boston Lager, but a good brew in its own right. It should not be criticized for being light.

Sam Adams Light, Style: Light Lager
ABV = 4.05%, cals = 119
Bottle>dimpled mug, reviewed @ home 10/28/08
A 4.0 - clear/dark copper for a light beer, good head/retention & collar
S 4.0 - nice hop aromas present for a light beer. I get a subtle whisper of apple & pear aromas.
T 4.5 - Hoppy semi bitter but balanced for a light beer. Very interesting and surprising brew.
MF 4.0 - "full body" (for a light beer), balanced/appropriate carbo
D 4.5 - This stuff is one of the best light beers I have had to date. A nice surprise indeed!

4.3/5  rDev +28%

For a light beer, I have to admit this is one of the best offerings available. I actually has taste that makes you believe it can't be a light. After trying watered down piss offered by just about everyone... Triple Hops this... silver that... low carb blah blah blah... it is nice to finally find a light beer you could enjoy while knowing you were at least attempting to keep your diet in line.

4.25/5  rDev +26.5%

Sammy Adams never seems to let me down, and this light offering of theirs is no exception. You can't expect a bold mixture of flavors from a light beer, but you also can't expect the exceptional drinkability you'll discover in the first sip of this delightful brew. This is most definitely my go-to beer for nights dedicated to quantity of alcohol over quality, and the quality of a decent beer is still more than present in this heavily drinkable offering from Samuel. Try this if boldly flavored beers scare you away, if you naturally enjoy light beers, or if you are new to drinking beer.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard room-temp pub glass

A- Perfectly clear, medium amber color with a full 1.5 finger head that dissipates to a nice lacing around the glass. Much darker than any other "light" beer that I have ever experienced.

S- Faint citrusy hoppiness that you do not experience with other "light" beers. Also a nice "biscuity" aroma is present

T- Full of flavor that you will not get from other "light" beers. Smooth malt on the front with a nice hoppy finish

M- Much more body to this beer than other "light" beers. Sits very well on the palate and has a nice, clean finish

D- Definitely my default beer of choice. SA Light is available practically everywhere, at a reasonable price ($5.99 / 6-pack). So you get a good quality "light" beer (not so light calorie-wise), for under a buck a beer.

4.25/5  rDev +26.5%

I had never been a big Sam Adams Lager drinker. I've enjoyed most of the seasonals over the years and I do enjoy a couple of the Brewmaster Collection six's like the Hefe and the Pale; but when the Boston Beer Co came out with Sam Adams Light, I was hooked. A rich, malty taste with a slight bitter tinge on the finish, this is a great beer! I use a pint glass (from the overly enourmous collection in my bar) and relish in the nice head and excellent amber hue. After the first few, I admit....I do sometimes switch over and drink the next few from the bottle. You don't get to smell it too much from the bottle, but hey you just smelled the the last three you drank...enjoy!

4.23/5  rDev +25.9%

(12 oz bottle, brewery-fresh date Dec 2015... poured into a shaker)

L: crystal-clear liquid, mildly-fiery amber color... not quite finger width pad of foam, which does peter out in standard time... nice that it's not yellow

S: quick whiff and it's like a malty amber German lager (that's a compliment!), and relatively potent... but knowing how pretty much all of SA's amber beers taste, I think I know what to expect on the palate... this is all malt, by the way - very little in the way of hops, though there's a lil fruitiness (almost like an English ale) on the edges

T: ok, this is definitely not a watered-down Boston Lager... nice, crisp, clean malt profile, which is actually kind of overshadowed by the fruity, slightly spicy hop flavor... you would be hard pressed to immediately pin this as a light lager, but the dry clean finish may convince you... the flavors aren't explosive, but compared to the rest of the lot, this is a revelation

F: quite a light body, but with more than enough smoothness and muscle on its bones so it doesn't come across watery... very light and dry finish, super easy to drink quickly without feeling full

O: for a light lager, this is fantastic... I would actually drink this on a regular basis if I had to go 'light'... but of course I'm curious if they could (and I think they could) get even more flavor going with this beer

4.23/5  rDev +25.9%

When poured , gave a beautiful golden color, with a nice white frothy top, that did not cling to the glass. It smelled to me like a Sam Adams beer(to me they seem to all smell fairly similar). A very smooth drink from begining to end. I also found barely any after taste. I really enjoyed this beer, and would recommend to any light beer drinker.

ENjoy before August

A - Rich copper body, minimal white head.

S - Crisp citrusy notes, bready malts. A fine smelling beer.

T - It's definitely pretty bland, and you kind of feel the flavors more than taste them, but there is a pleasant malt profile along with some dry/tart fruit character. Definitely the only light lager I've ever had that is worth tasting.

M - Body is nothing special here. It's definitely light, but there is some residual feeling left behind, which I think is not the idea.

O (D) - well, for a light lager, this is exceptional. Reviewing to style, this is a great beer. I don't like it very much, but it's simply much better than other similar beers that I've had.

4.2/5  rDev +25%

Ok, I went into this review knowing that I have to match it up with other Light Lagers, like Miller Lite, Bud Light etc...

Bottle 12 oz.

Amber in color and a decent thick head for a light beer.

Smell of floral hops and malty grains, does not quite smell like a light beer.

This beer taste pretty much like a "toned down" version of it's big brother. Take out a little hops and a little malt and instead of Boston Lager; you have Sam Light.

Mouthfeel is watery, and refreshing.

Drinkability- if I ever get a feeling to drink a light beer, this would be the beer for sure. If you stack it up to the Big Commercial Light beers (includin amstel) I would say that Sam Adams Light is the winner.

4.2/5  rDev +25%

I got two of these in a sampler pack and will try to keep in mind reviewing it vs. other "light" beers.

Appearance: Poured a pale golden amber color, big fluffy head which is now just a thin layer of foam, no real lacing on my glass.

Smell: is a grainy, ever so slightly fruity smell.

Taste: a bit light in the taste department, but what I'm tasting is a mostly malty sweet flavor.

Mouthfeel: Thinner than a Boston Lager, but with more body than any other light beer I've had (read: macro). Carbonation is good, alcohol is barely noticeable. I think if this had just a wee bit higher ABV, this would be better.

Drinkability&Notes: Kicks the tail feathers out of any other light beer I've had. That being said, though, I'm not sure I'd buy a whole case of these, but would definitely buy this if it was available in a pub before I would any other light. Quite nice, and my scores are putting this beer vs. the macro lights.

4.2/5  rDev +25%

Let me say first, that one thing that bothers me about this website is that the site asks people to rate a beer based on its style. Sam Adams is, in my opinion, has more taste and better attributes than any light beer out there. If it isn't your favorite, it is probably in the top 3. But people rate it lowly because it doesn't have the same great tastes of a Double IPA. Well, it is a light beer, not a Double IPA and should be rated like one. Anyway, my rant of the day is over, on with the tasting...
Appearance is darker than almost all light beers. It has an amber, copper color with a nice white head that fades fast, but leaves a nice lacing.
Aroma is of toasted malts, but there is a nice floral smell to it as well. A lot of good smells that one normally does not get out of a light beer.
Taste is similar to the aroma. A nice biscuit taste with a good caramel malt taste as well. A bit of a hop taste, but the caramel taste is very stront. Much more taste than most light beers.
Mouthfeel is very light and refreshing, which is the most important aspect of a light beer to me.
Drinkability is awesome. Great taste and the refreshing style of a light beer. Definitely the best I have had and you can read more about my opinion above.

4.2/5  rDev +25%

A-It's got a nice brown color to it. It actually looks similar to the Boston Lager.

S- It's got a nice scent to it.

T- Considering that it's a light beer it's got a nice flavor to it. Got some nice taste of yeast and hops and it doesnt go overboard with it.

M-It's got a nice clean finish to it and it doesn't leave an aftertaste.

D-It's a fine beer to drink without worrying about the extra calories.

I love Sam Adams as you probably know if you read my previous reviews and this is no exception. I like this beer a lot and I am not really into light beers. It's like the diet pepsi of beers.

4.2/5  rDev +25%

The greatest light beer in the world, hands down. The low ratings don't make sense to me. I think people have the anti-AB snob mentality when it comes to light beers. I also think people tend to forget about rating a beer based on style. This beer has just as much flavor and nose as a Boston Lager, yep I said it, and it's one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had. It's a great night when you have a 12-pack of Sammy's Light and don't have to worry about a huge amount of calories or a lack of flavor.

Other light beers don't even touch Sammy's Light and there's a reason it doesn't participate in Light Beer competitions. Jim Koch spent a lot of time developing such a great Light Beer and he definitely did it right.

4.2/5  rDev +25%

A: A lighter amber color, capped nicely with a white two-finger head.

S: Caramel, malts and grains. Nothing super bold or standing out.

T: A hint of sweet caramel with malts and grains. A very pleasant, bold flavor for a light beer.

M: Crisp and refreshing, very drinkable but not lacking any flavor. Carbonated with a tiny bitterness. Not as watery as any other light beer.

Overall: Rating this solely as a light beer, this beer is the best in its class. Great beer and a decent beer compared to any other ale or lager.

4.2/5  rDev +25%

I was really skeptical, but all that worry for nothing. Similar to the Boston Lager, but less hoppy and lighter in color. Nothing too complex, but hit the nail on the head for trying to make a light beer with some character. Really crisp, a fuzz dry vs. being a typical watery light beer. I was pleasantly surprised at this one. Very light and refreshing. Simplicity at it's finest.

4.18/5  rDev +24.4%

Simply one of the best, most flavorful light beers I have ever tried.

Six pack for $7.99 at La Bodega in Riverside, CA. in Sept. 2007.

Pours a surprisingly deep amber golden for the style, with a slight head that doesn't last too long. Aroma is dry malty, maybe a hint of hops. Flavor is light but still a lot for the style. Moderate, toasty malts, minimal hops makes for a tasty light alternative.

Mouthfeel includes a fair amount of carbonation- why no head retention?

Good stuff.

4.18/5  rDev +24.4%

Appearance: Medium orange-bronze with a medium-large, foamy, off-white head that quickly diminished to a thick film. Some light lacing.

Smell: Bready malts, light caramel, light herbs and pine. Very pleasant.

Taste: Rather doughy & rich with flavors of sweet malts and a hint of tobacco with a slightly bitter finish that’s pretty long for a light beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, lightly chewy texture, soft carbonation

Drinkability: Probably the most impressive mass-produced, bottled light beer I’ve had. Very good body for a light beer. Refreshing, with enough character to keep a more seasoned palate happy.

4.18/5  rDev +24.4%

Came in the summer seasonal mix. Pours a lighter, iced-tea amber. One finger of white head, little retention and no lacing. A lot of carbonation.

Malt and grain aromas in the nose, light hops, some metallic smell. I've noticed the metal in a lot of light beers; maybe it's a light beer thing. Looks like a real beer, so that's huge.

Light malt and a moderate amount of biscuit up front. Very active carbonation and a light body would make this a good summer beer. Light caramel or toffee on the back end, tiny hop nip, crisp, clean finish. Tastes as little like a light beer as is possible in this universe without changing the laws of physics.

I've met regular beers with less flavor. The best light beer I have ever had by a lage margin; at least twice as good as, say, a Bud Light. The score gives a big nod to the category--if this wasn't a light beer I'd be fairly underwhelmed and give it a C.

I am not a light beer drinker but I'd tolerate having to stick to these if it was what was on offer.

4.17/5  rDev +24.1%

This is a wonderful light beer....yards and yards above the typical 'light'.
Pours a pale crystal clear gold with a half finger of white that slowly melts.
Aroma of lager yeast, grain, and crisp light hops in the background.
Flavor is very crisp and light with a nice balance between sweet malt and citrus hops. Finish is crisp hop.
Very drinkable. Great to session.

Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)