Sam Adams Light | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Read the review
Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Ratings: 2,228 |  Reviews: 840
4.5/5  rDev +33.9%

4.48/5  rDev +33.3%

Poured a nice clear light copper with a thin whisp of white for a head.
Smell is just light malt don't pick up any hops.
Taste malts a slight vegetable tinge of hops, compared to traditional light lager this blows them all away.
Mouthfeel is light but no where near water like. Well carbonated.
Drinkability is for the style amazing.

4.45/5  rDev +32.4%

Best by August 08. Pours with a light brown, clear body, and a large enough head that the whole beer can't fit in the pint glass on the first pour. Poor retention. Very lively bubbling.

Smells very clean, just a simple malt profile, the bottle says two-row. The smell is not "light," although it's not strong either. Slight grassy hops. No off notes or adjuncts.

Tastes like Sam Adams Boston Lager mixed 50/50 with water. First taste was disappointing after the smell. Not disappointing for a light beer, but because it smelled like a real beer. Weak, slightly sweet bread taste with low alpha hops, minimal bittering. No adjuncts.

Body also suffers. I would prefer higher carbonation to cover for a light, watery body, as is the norm for the style. Carbonation is smooth but dies mid-sip.

The light beer that sets the bar for others in the style. Light beer drinkers should also see New Belgium's Skinny Dip -- 110 calories and 4.2% alcohol, vs. Sam Adams Light at 124 calories and only 4.0% alcohol.

4.43/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very good and easy to drink. I've come to expect nothing less from Samuel Adams.

4.43/5  rDev +31.8%

A: Clean, clear amber color. If you poured this from a non-labeled bottle, you wouldn't know it was a light beer. Very impressive. Pretty good sized head that fades before too long, doesn't leave behind too much lacing.

S: Floral hops and slight caramel malts are present. Much more so than in other light beers.

T: For a light beer, amazing. Hops and malt with floral notes in the background. Much better than other light beers.

M: For a light beer, this is full bodied. Very impressive.

D: Drinkability is perfect. Very easy to drink a few.

If you're been searching for a light beer that you can actually taste, then Sam Adams Light is the way to go. Cheers!

4.42/5  rDev +31.5%

Appearance: clear orange in color with a 1" head that creates some soft lacing.

Smell: malt sweentess is pleasant and easy to detect.

Taste: malt sweetness, green apples, and a hint of caramel are balanced with a mild but noticeable bitterness.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp throughout. Light in body. Aftertaste is almost clean.

Drinkability: this has to be the best light beer on the market today. It has a nice flavor and is easy to consume.

4.4/5  rDev +31%

Aroma is a bit of husk, grain and perhaps some citrus. Kind of a mix...but not bad.

Taste is pretty good and full for a light lager. Carbonation is pretty ample. Initial taste is of slight lemony citrus...there's a good hop crispness on the finish that follows that. There's also a nice grainy sweetness after the finish that rounds out the beer. Pretty clean and refreshing. For a light beer, this is about as good as it'll get.

Awesome session beer, in my opinion. It's a light beer, but it isn't watery and has good flavor, and that's about all you can ask for.

4.4/5  rDev +31%

Purchased one bottle on a whim to see what the fuss was about. A few years back I tried a Sam Adams something or other (I can't remember, I was playing a show and it was handed to me) and I had to choke it down. It must have been a strong dark lager.

I purchased ONE of these just in case I hated it. That way I wouldn't be spending the whole $8 on a 6'er like I did with the horrendous Bud Light Golden Wheat (read my review).

I'm glad I purchased it. I had no beer opener so I had a little trouble trying to get it open (metal spoon, counter top, prying with metal objects) but once I did I noticed the foam was nice and thick (this was very different from the other light beers I had been trying). I couldn't smell much through the foam but I let it die off in the sink for about 30 seconds and took my first sip.

At first taste it was absolutely clear this was a stand-out from all of the other "light" so-called beers. This was thick, full, hearty - and the mouthfeel wasn't cheap or overly carbonated. The flavor was not artificial - this beer took time to brew. Wonderful honey and fruity tomato notes tagged at the end. My initial reaction was eye-popping "now THAT'S a beer." I was ecstatic.

Because I tasted it before I smelled it, I took a whif after the initial taste. The smell is not overwhelmingly original, but the scents do not clash and though it doesn't really reflect how the beer tastes, I have definitely smelled worse. If I had to describe it, I would say it is very robust, thick, and hearty. I'm getting some very strong wheat, barley and straw right out front with a note of sasparilla trailing right behind. Very very faint hint of vanilla creme and caramel. Floral notes are in the background, overshadowed by the straw and barley. I can't quite tell what they are.

The mouth-feel is incredible. Smooth, thick, full, floating. Its thickness is thick without being thick. Swishes to the back of your palette effortlessly and leaves a smooth finish all the way down. The finish disappears near-perfectly at the right time before the bitter sets in, like a good house guest that knows when to leave. No harsh notes, very mild bitterness. Smooth, smooth, smooth.

Drinkability is superb in the way that it drinks like a beer and not like a soda. Not as easy or as light as, persay, many light "carbonated beers" that go right down the hatch quickly and leave you craving for more (they have their place); but on the contrary you will have more time to enjoy this beer properly because it doesn't doesn't finish as quickly as the others and is likened more to hot chocolate than skim chocolate milk.

Incredibly smooth. Full of flavor, mildly sweet, very low bitterness. Absolutely impeccable. This is what a light lager should be.

4.36/5  rDev +29.8%

4.36/5  rDev +29.8%

I am not a big light beer guy. If i have a light beer it is Amstel. But behold, America answers the call. This is the first American light beer i can drink. It is amlost as goo as regular Samy's, but you can tell it is lighter. First it won't fill up as quickly. Second it is a little lighter in color. This is as close as America will come to a truely Europian light beer. Ladies also drink alot of it too, whwich is a big plus. This is a truely though a manly beer, just take of the light an you are good to go.

4.35/5  rDev +29.5%

Consumed straight from the bottle, no glass to use.

I given a good on appearance because it is from a bottle and I can't really rate, when I can't see.

Smell is good, light hops with a malt backbone. Piney and citrusey at the same time.

Taste is very good for a macro. Malty with a good balance of hops. The label says nobles and I can't disagree. Sourdough bread with pine, citrus with maple syrup....Awesome for a light beer!

Mouthfeel is good, a little bubbly, but feels full bodied.

Drinkability is awesome. A light beer with this much flavor!!!! Give me a case and get outta my way!!!

For a "light" macro, this is awesome...I love it! Perfect for indoctrinating people to the wonderful world of craft beer.

4.35/5  rDev +29.5%

Poured a bottle into glass at 45 degree angle and finished pour in the center. Nice head for a light beer. Suprised by the lacing left by this beer. Smell had some fruity tones to it. The mouthfeel was very smooth and the drinkability was very high. This is a solid light beer and should be compared only to other light beers. The appearance was also impressive with a nice copper color.

4.32/5  rDev +28.6%

4.3/5  rDev +28%

I think this is best light beer I have tasted so far.

A - Golden color, carbinated, white head.

S - Sweetness, light smell, hints of hops. Nice.

T - Love it, hints of malt and hops, not too heavy. Not bitter.

M - Very light in the mouth, not watery, nice and clean feel.

D - I could drink a few of these, best light beer I have tasted.

4.3/5  rDev +28%

I happen to be a fan of Sam Adams for years so my opinion is bias, but this beer is a hearty light beer without the awful aftertaste. Other beers such as Amstel try to pass themselves off as a great tasting light beer, but it's aftertaste is just plain aweful!
Jim Koch did it again and as usual, has yet to disappoint

4.3/5  rDev +28%

Very Good for a light beer probably one of the better light beers out there. Very close to sam adams boston lager a littel less alcohol content though which was the only downside that i see in this one. I think i would definitely buy this beer again.

4.3/5  rDev +28%

I had this beer at a cookout. The host bought one of the summer variety packs of Sam Adams. This was the only beer I had never really tried from it, so I gave it a shot.

I was not sure what to expet, as I enjoy most of Sam Adams offerings, but I am not usually a light beer drinker. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. There was a nice malt aroma, and some barely perceptible hops in the nose. The taste was nice and malty with caramel notes everywhere. Not much hops, just enough to offer some bitterness as a contrast. Mouthfeel was a bit heavily carbonated, but not distracting. Drinkability was high due to the lo ABV and the fact that it is a light lager.

Overall, way more flavor than I could ever expect from a light beer. A solid offering that really isn't just the light alternative to Boston Lager, but a good brew in its own right. It should not be criticized for being light.

Sam Adams Light, Style: Light Lager
ABV = 4.05%, cals = 119
Bottle>dimpled mug, reviewed @ home 10/28/08
A 4.0 - clear/dark copper for a light beer, good head/retention & collar
S 4.0 - nice hop aromas present for a light beer. I get a subtle whisper of apple & pear aromas.
T 4.5 - Hoppy semi bitter but balanced for a light beer. Very interesting and surprising brew.
MF 4.0 - "full body" (for a light beer), balanced/appropriate carbo
D 4.5 - This stuff is one of the best light beers I have had to date. A nice surprise indeed!

4.3/5  rDev +28%

For a light beer, I have to admit this is one of the best offerings available. I actually has taste that makes you believe it can't be a light. After trying watered down piss offered by just about everyone... Triple Hops this... silver that... low carb blah blah blah... it is nice to finally find a light beer you could enjoy while knowing you were at least attempting to keep your diet in line.

4.25/5  rDev +26.5%

Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)