Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Sam Adams Light | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light
3.26/5
Okay
Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Ratings: 2,234 |  Reviews: 842
3.75/5  rDev +15%

3.21/5  rDev -1.5%

Light beer is the exact reason why beer turned me off for a long time. So, I was rather skeptical but nonetheless curious as to what Sam Adams could do with a light beer.

It definately has a deeper gold color than your standard light American brews. And upon tasting, it definately has more flavor. I actually get a malty feel from the taste of this, something that is not very common to most light beers, say a Bud Lite.

The finish is smooth, crisp, and clean...very non-aggressive. I don't notice any particular aftertaste or lingering. I think this indicates that Sam Adams Light is true to the lightweight form, but with a sense of quality. And that might be what seperates this light beer from others that have filled up the market for years.

I think that this beer is a worthy option for light beer drinkers. It is my personal opinion that The Boston Beer Company actually deserves some respect. They carried through with consistency and quality that they are known for rather than just dismissing this as a light beer that doesn't need to be contended with. I value that brand of integrity.

3.65/5  rDev +12%

Best before September 2006. Served in a pint glass at fridge temperature.

Appearance- Pours a clear medium gold, with a loud, popping white head that recedes gently to a thin mat. Surprisingly active in the glass, small bubbles rush to the surface.

Smell- Grains and malt primarily envelop the nose, what a nice change to not smell corn and vegetables in a light beer. Very clean and honest... great for the style.

Taste- Very watered down version of a great beer... you can grasp the malts and hops easily, and they're good... just fleeting and wimpy. The finish is over before it even starts, and it's a bit sweet. The hops do lend a bright, hoppy bitterness right at the end.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Though the carbonation is certainly more than adequate, it is borderline aggressive... the bubbles are knife-edged and sharp texturally. But more is better with this beer, and I enjoy the light but full mouthfeel. A bit gassy in the stomach, and after one I'm not thinking about following it up with another.

3.13/5  rDev -4%

bronz colored with a white head that disappears quickly. not a bad looking beer and it's gonna get rated a little higher here since it's a light beer and not the color of my pee after i've had 6 beers. smells grainy and slightly floral. tastes grainy and pretty sweet, a little caramel maltiness and hops as well. pretty watery mouthfeel, with a lot of carbonation. overall best "light" beer i've had but nothing really special as far as quality beer.

3.73/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice copper color with a good white head, that left decent lacing on the glass as it fell. this beer smells like a light beer, but one that has been kicked up a notch. It doesn't smell too light, and it also has some hop presence and some caramel notes. The taste is good, I mean you cant expect a lot of complex flavors from a light beer, but this was definitely surprising. It had a good sweetness to it, and also you could actually taste some hops. The mouthfeel was good because It had a light body with medium carbonation, but it was not watery like almost all other light beers. I would say that the drinkability was excellent. I really could drink these all night long. This is the best light beer I have tried, and it showed me that there really is a good light beer out there. I think Sam Adams really achieved what they were going for with this beer, which was making a light beer that didn't completely suck. I was scared to try this at first, but I really think its a quality beer. Good job. Cheers.

4.4/5  rDev +35%

Aroma is a bit of husk, grain and perhaps some citrus. Kind of a mix...but not bad.

Taste is pretty good and full for a light lager. Carbonation is pretty ample. Initial taste is of slight lemony citrus...there's a good hop crispness on the finish that follows that. There's also a nice grainy sweetness after the finish that rounds out the beer. Pretty clean and refreshing. For a light beer, this is about as good as it'll get.

Awesome session beer, in my opinion. It's a light beer, but it isn't watery and has good flavor, and that's about all you can ask for.

3.82/5  rDev +17.2%

Appearance has a mid amber tone with a crisp thick head that dissipates quickly leaving nil lace. Smell is grainy with light citrus and hop. Taste has full flavor for a light lager, having the same flavor as the Boston lager, but just lighter. Mouthfeel is light with good body. Nothing bad about this light, I'd buy again.

3.21/5  rDev -1.5%

Off white head settling over clear and gently carbonated light amber liquid. Light sweet malt nose with grassy elements within, I can't detect any hop whatsoever. Smooth weak maltiness, somewhat watery taste going on. Finishes bland and without much character...thank God I don't have to drink this on a regular basis. It is what is is...light.

3.35/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.92/5  rDev +20.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into glass beer mug.

A - Light colored amber brew, with a quarter to half inch of head. Short retention and some minimal lacing.

S - Pretty assertive malt aroma for a light beer, perhaps even a little toasty with a faint floral hop note.

T - Pale malts with the same toasty suggestion from the nose, slowly drying out with fruity hop flavor.

M - Light bodied, but solid, high carbonation but more natural than others of the style.

D - Very easy to drink. Could have a few if I had to.

In many ways, this reminded me of a drier blonde ale. Though it is certainly the best beer with the word "light" on the label, I wouldn't call it the best light beer because it isn't really a light beer. While it might impress the initiated as a "light beer," an average light beer drinker would find this brew contradictory to the idea behind a light lager in the first place.

1.9/5  rDev -41.7%

And this is supposed to be better than the other light beers WHY? It pours a 1/2 inch head fading to just a trace almost immediately. Color looks like Lipton tea. To me it had next to no flavor and you could drink this thing without even thinking "I'm having a beer". It takes serious imagination to start coming up with anything more than "tea" to describe it.

Since it actually has color and is not flavorLESS I'd still have to score it above some other lights, but that's not saying much.

And hey, I've been living in Boston 20 years, I'd like to cheer for the locals, I just can't cheer for Sam Adams Light.

3.24/5  rDev -0.6%

Bottle poured into Sam Adams glass. Looks suspiciously like real beer - attractive golden-amber, retention pretty good.

Small bit of caramel and butter in the aroma.

Taste is very clean and dry with a sharp mineral-water bite. Slight hoppiness and sour grain, otherwise I might think I was drinking a bottle of San Pellegrino.

As with most light beers, body lacking. Not as bad as BMC though.

Not exactly a full-flavored beer by any stretch, nevertheless at 4% it's not a bad lawnmower beer, or lunchtime table beer. Obviously a better light beer than you'd get from the big boys.

3.16/5  rDev -3.1%

This was so much more than I expected for a light beer. Picked it up in the Sam Adams summer mix pack. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass. It had a very nice amber color to it, with some semi-stick lacing to it that lasts most of the drink. Had a white fizzy head, the middle dissapeares about 1/3rd through the drink and the edges stay through the entire drink, oh yeah and good clarity like most Sam Adams products. Based on the appearance alone you can't tell it's a light beer. The smell was ok, smells much less "cheap" than the average light beer. Has a bit of a grainy smell and a little bit of yeast type aroma, not strong though. You can taste the malt with slight bitter aftertaste, again not too string. I wasn't a big fan of the mouthfeel, I found the carbination bite a bit strong for my liking, not quite as strong as a tonic, but it doesn't last long. Despite the my carbination complaint, I found it very drinkable and refreshing. Overall I'd have to be honest that I was impressed.

3.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a SA Perfect Pint glass.

A: Pours amber with a wispy cap of white head.

S: Smells like weak Boston Lager...which I suppose is appropriate. Mild caramel-sweet malts with a dash of earthy hops.

T: Slightly watered-down flavour, but not as bad as I though. That familiar Boston Lager flavour is there and its hop presence is pretty nice and crisp.

D: Well, isn't drinkability the whole point of this style? So yes, its drinkable for what it is, but I can't say I'm craving another one.

Overall: Its tough to rate this beer. It isn't that great, but for the STYLE its downright superb! I have to give it a middling rating, but it was actually better than I expected and has to be one of the best light beers I've had yet.

3.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Highs: None
Lows: Compares poorly to the regular Sam Adams lager

Pours golden/amber clear with bubbles and a moderate head that fades away fairly quickly. Nose is of light hops and malt. Flavor is malty and overly sweet, with a diminished hops flavor compared to the orginal. Actually, there is no comparison to a regular Sam Adams Lager, which I consider to be one of the best lagers out there. ItÂ’s just too sweet/malty. Drinkability is average.

Overall: Avoid it and drink the original.

3.25/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.53/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a small tasting glass.

A--Light amber color. Quick dying head.

S--Smell is faintly fusel, floral and somewhat berry aroma.

T--Grainy malt flavor, some good hop bitterness.

M--Somewhat thin. But full flavor for a light.

D--The only reason I would drink light beer is if I needed save my life and I needed to be weaned off of beer. In that case I may choose death. That said, I looked up similar data on light beers found by others. Seems to be that you would do just as good getting a nice lager than a Sams Light because they have roughly the same number of calories. I can't believe people that there are a group of people who think they are loosing weight by drinking SA Light!

2.75/5  rDev -15.6%

Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.26 out of 5 with 2,234 ratings