Sam Adams Light | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Read the review
Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Reviews: 832 | Ratings: 2,202
4.16/5  rDev +23.8%

This beer is amazing for a light beer. I tried to score it as compared to other light beers and I am definitely not a light beer fan. Compared to my favorite IPA style - well you can't it isn't fair. I will say it has more real beer flavor that regular Bud, Coors etc. It looks real, tastes real and smells real. Most light beers are more akin to club soda than beer. It will never be on my favorite list, but when trying to go light it is a winner.

3.48/5  rDev +3.6%

Review #4 - 12 ounce brown bottle (best if date displayed) in a weizen glass.

A: A clear amber (darkest Light Lager I've come across) with a slightly off-white head. The head had medium bubbles with medium retention and light, splotchy lacing.

S: The same noble hop aroma from their flagship beer, just much lighter. A bit of straw follows the hops.

T: More of the same "Boston Lager" light. The hops still come through, but the bready malt has the final say.

M: Crisp, light body with medium carbonation. Due to the lightness, it doesn't cloy to any one part of the palate.

D: Very smooth and clearly the best Light Lager out there.

Glass used Tulip

Pours amber on the reddish side

Head is one finger white pretty much disappears within 1 min. leaving a thin ring. Lacing is very light.

Aroma bread, malt, very light citrus; not an overpowering aroma yet a little sweet

Taste is crisp with tingling hops first followed by the malt; finishes without much bitterness; medium to light bodied mouthful; not complex; after taste hints of some citrus mainly lemon yet doesn't linger; I didn't taste much sweetness.

Overall this is a very drinkable light beer; it has more taste than most light beers; 4.0 ABV; I'd have it again when after a light beer. One down side is its price compared to other lights.

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

I hate to do this for a light beer, but I have never tasted anything like it in the category. It pours amber- who ever heard of that for a light beer? It has great a great malted barley flavor that finishes clean and light. It fools you into thinking that you are drinking a much more substantial beer. There is a great depth of flavor and crispness which almost never go hand-in-hand. Light beers are considered a joke, but don't laugh at this one- just smile.

4.17/5  rDev +24.1%

The head was thin but at least it was there, which is usually hard to find for a light beer. The color was alot darker than most light beers that I've seen. The taste was exceptional for a light beer and the mouthfeel was pretty smooth for the most part. Overall I think it is a great light beer.

3.84/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured translucent deep gold in my pint glass with a single fingered head that quickly dissolves leaving little to no lacing at all.
Big, bold smell for a light beer. Sweet with a bit of hops.
Taste is typical of Sam Adams, very malty with a nice hops backbone.
Very light mouthfeel. A little watery. Too much carbonation for my tastes, but still better than your typical light beer.
This would make a great introductory brew for most macro lovers.

3.86/5  rDev +14.9%

I bought a Sam Adams summer sampler pack with the notion that I really don't like Sam Adams winter ales so I figured I would give the Summer ales a try!

The Light was one of the best "light" beers I have had to date. Sam Adams is leaps and bounds better than Bud or Miller but I think it is in the same boat as yuengling. Yuengling makes its lights really light but Sam Adams doesn't. Sam Adams light has a very full flavor but it is very drinkable at the same time. I didn't like the smell too much but its appearance and mouth feel were decent.

I would recommend Sam Adams light to anyone who is watching their calories or people who enjoy lights but doesn't want to drink garbage like Bud or miller light. 5 more flavors to go!

2.16/5  rDev -35.7%

I've always heard good things about Sam Adams Light. A lot of people say that its one of the best options in the realm of "Light Lagers". I completely disagree. From what other Sam Adams beers that I have had, their Octoberfest and Latitude 48, I have been pretty impressed. But I found Sam Adams Light quite disheartening. While their was a discernibly more malty taste to it as compared to other light lagers, it was not a pleasant maltiness. The taste comes off as a glass of tonic water with a little bit of "quality beer" poured in to top it off. While you can taste that Sam Adams used good ingredients in this offering, it just doesn't transfer to a good experience. When it comes to light lagers I would much rather have a generic BMC.

Poured from a bottle into the Samuel Adam's perfect pint glass for Mothers Day today.

Drinkability was great especially on a hot day. Easy to tell this is a lighter version of the Boston Lager. Great beer for summer grilling. Light, crisp, but still get a good taste of the malts that is synonamous with the Boston Lager.

2.55/5  rDev -24.1%

Finally tried this. I have come to like Sam's Boston Lager and am a huge fan of their ales.

12 oz bottle, poured ok, half the head I usually get from BL. Very nice looking, darker than I expected. Laced well.

Smell? Maybe I have a sinus infection or something (or had the beer too cold)but I could hardly smell anything. THe faint aromas I got were plesant, but I didn't really smell much.

Again... What taste? I guess I will have to try some macro swill again so that I realize that not all beer has flavor. I may have to try this again some time in the summer and re-review.

Mouthfeel was really good for a light beer. Liked the carbonation, and felt richer than it tasted.

Drinkability... definitely not a drain pour, but I'd rather have something with more flavor. Choice between this and "Lite" Or Bud Light, this wins, but I prolly wont buy it again unless I really do have no smell due to sinus.

1.82/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

What is the point. No flavour, lite, dull, its like spending the afternoon being made to visit the most boring relative you have.
Slight flavour resembles watered down beer.Even reminds you of the days you used to drink beer. Real beer. Maybe a Brewdog punk IPA, or anything that has any resemblance to something good.
Dont do it
Its bad

3.23/5  rDev -3.9%

A - Has a clear amber tone with small amount of head that dissipates pretty quickly

S - No real aroma, but has a slight malty hint

T - Has an incredibly full taste for a light beer, but no light beer can match up to any real beer.

M - Mostly taste carbonation

D - Well, it's a light beer so it doesn't take much to throw one back.

In no way does this match up with Sam Adams' other brews, but it is undoubtedly the most complex light beer I've ever tasted. Personally I wouldn't go with it on most occasions, but if you want something with taste that isn't too heavy this would be a solid choice.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

Cloudy pale tan color. Nothing too special. Not much head but wasn't really expected.

Smelled very mildly of hops and grains.

Slightly hoppy taste if you look for it but otherwise pretty mellow. Keeping in consideration it was a light beer it was pretty good.

Very light feel in the mouth. Slightly watery almost.

Very drinkable for a light beer however. I usually dislike light beers but I could sip on this one for a night or two.

Not dissapointed but deffinatly not the best by Sam Adams.

3.83/5  rDev +14%

By far the best light beer ive ever had.

This beer is darker than any light beer ive seen before, a dark amber color if i must pick a color.

The smell is strong of hops

The taste is absolutely amazing. very refreshing and enjoyable, i like to savor the flavor of this malty brew.

Drinkability is up there with the best, if not the best.

I would recommend this beer be the first you try, if your new to Samuel Adams family of beers

3.33/5  rDev -0.9%

My first taste of this light was disapointing. As this brew warmed in my glass the flavors came out and I was quite impressed. This is what a light beer should taste like. Just the copper color of this light beer is enough to try it. This isn't your nascar swilling light. A definite brew for that summer bbq or tailgate.

2.89/5  rDev -14%

Bottle 12 oz...poured into pint glass

Poured a pale yellow color with moderate white head. Smell is very light. Taste is also very faint overall. Beer doesn't have bad qualities about the beer, but little flavor that Sam Adams Lager has for a mass-market beer. A decent alternative if necessary

4.23/5  rDev +25.9%

When poured , gave a beautiful golden color, with a nice white frothy top, that did not cling to the glass. It smelled to me like a Sam Adams beer(to me they seem to all smell fairly similar). A very smooth drink from begining to end. I also found barely any after taste. I really enjoyed this beer, and would recommend to any light beer drinker.

3.36/5  rDev 0%

A - Clear

S - Nothing really to report on smell

T - For a light beer it has an exceptional full taste

M - Just the right amount of carbonation

D - I could drink this all day

I can see myself drinking this at a BBQ in the summer heat.
If I drank more light beer I would choose this one.

3.56/5  rDev +6%

A-penny copper color. no real head. very carbonated. no lacing.

S- mild metal smells, little bit of grain in there too. smells like beer.

T- fizzy. this is barley soda. but i am really enjoying it. bad thing is i could enjoy way too much of it, thankfully the abv is pretty low. it is very refreshing. i could easily drink this at dinner or on the weekends while doing stuff around the house or yard. not much to it flavor wise though.

M- no dryness, slightly sweet. mostly carbonation. i like it.

D- very drinkable.

4.1/5  rDev +22%

I absolutely love this beer. I hate the commercial light beers like Bud Light, Miller and Coors but I want to drink a flavorful light beer to save a few calories.

SAL fits the bill perfectly. It is great for sipping during dinner or guzzling with the guys during the games.

I stock this one in my fridge along with Peanut Butter and Jelly.

3.15/5  rDev -6.3%

Ahh. Light Beer.
It's the greatest invention in the history of mankind, watered-down for people who don't fully appreciate the greatest invention in the history of mankind.

I understand the desire to lessen your caloric intake and to keep the alcoholic content down when drinking a lot, but light beer really isn't the adult-beverege equivalent to diet soda. A bottle of Sam Adams light will only save you about 50 calories per bottle, and in return, you get a third of the flavor. Boston Lager is my favorite beer. Take Boston lager and add 3 parts water for every one part of beer, and you get Sam Adams Light. I'd personally prefer to drink 2/3 of a bottle of Boston Lager to get my 110 calories than drink an entire bottle of this.

That said, Sam Adams light is far and away the best light beer on the mass market. It's got a watery mouthfeel, but it has more flavor than nearly every american adjunct full-bodied beer. My father in law drinks Budweiser, and I had him try a sip of Sam Adams Light. He said it was too strong for him. That's how flavorful this beer is. It's probably the best light beer you can buy, but it's essentially just good beer with extra water added. it's sold at the same price as the good stuff.

Poured from a bottle into a glass...

Appearance: Pours a beautiful golden amber with about a third of a finger of foamy head, nice lacing.

Smell: Caramel and roasty malt; some clove

Taste: Bready mixture of grains and caramel predominate at first, then a citrusy finish. Not unpleasant at all. As a beer overall, the taste is in the middle of the pack. For a light beer, this is top of the line. Basically, a slimmed down version of Sam Adams Boston Lager with less APV content and texture.

Mouthfeel: Light to very low medium bodied, normal carbonation. Refreshing.

Overall: It is hard to beat Sam Adams Light if you are looking for a quality light beer, but because of the price and my budget, I relegate this to being a rare treat.

4.6/5  rDev +36.9%

I tried this beer on a lark, wanting a bottle of light beer as a 'cleansing ale' after a bomber of the stronger stuff for my thrice a week 'beer night.' I couldn't find the Amstel Light, and purchased one of these.

First of all, I'm not crazy about light beer - many are just glasses of water spoiled - when I see the young guys lugging cases of that stuff to the check stand, I assume they're the victims of slick advert campaigns.

However, this brew amazed me, and I think in the pantheon of light beers should rate far higher than it is here. This is LIGHT BEER folks, not regular, give it its due. It has a firm, almost nutty taste, no skunk and a smooth mouth feel. It pours a rich colour into the glass, rather like my beloved Yuengling, and frankly tastes like an old recipe lager. It is light in alcohol, only 4%, which makes it a great afternoon beer - its flavourful character will hold its own with anything from pasta to burgers.

2.16/5  rDev -35.7%

The color made me wonder if this really was a light beer, but the nose lacked in depth. My eyes fooled my tastebuds, because at first sip, I was surprised at the watered down quality of the beer. As light beers go, it IS the best I have tasted. However, I unfortunately do not quite enjoy this class of beer.

2.79/5  rDev -17%

A: Poured a clear pale orange-yellow color wit ha thin white head that faded quickly.

S: Aroma is not too strong. A bit skunky with a small amount of light fruit at first. Also there are some caramel malts that add to the smell.

T: Taste is pretty watery. Flavors include caramel at first, with some bitter hops in the finish. The taste could have used a little bit more sweetness and less of the slightly skunky hoppy bitterness. Some light fruit as well. Not terribly flavorful.

F: Slightly light-bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Finish is a bit bitter.

O: Not bad for a light beer, but it isn't too interesting. A better choice than most light lagers, but I prefer the regular Sam Adams a lot more.

Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)