Sam Adams Light | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Read the review
Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Ratings: 2,222 |  Reviews: 838
1.9/5  rDev -43.5%

And this is supposed to be better than the other light beers WHY? It pours a 1/2 inch head fading to just a trace almost immediately. Color looks like Lipton tea. To me it had next to no flavor and you could drink this thing without even thinking "I'm having a beer". It takes serious imagination to start coming up with anything more than "tea" to describe it.

Since it actually has color and is not flavorLESS I'd still have to score it above some other lights, but that's not saying much.

And hey, I've been living in Boston 20 years, I'd like to cheer for the locals, I just can't cheer for Sam Adams Light.

3.24/5  rDev -3.6%

Bottle poured into Sam Adams glass. Looks suspiciously like real beer - attractive golden-amber, retention pretty good.

Small bit of caramel and butter in the aroma.

Taste is very clean and dry with a sharp mineral-water bite. Slight hoppiness and sour grain, otherwise I might think I was drinking a bottle of San Pellegrino.

As with most light beers, body lacking. Not as bad as BMC though.

Not exactly a full-flavored beer by any stretch, nevertheless at 4% it's not a bad lawnmower beer, or lunchtime table beer. Obviously a better light beer than you'd get from the big boys.

3.16/5  rDev -6%

This was so much more than I expected for a light beer. Picked it up in the Sam Adams summer mix pack. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass. It had a very nice amber color to it, with some semi-stick lacing to it that lasts most of the drink. Had a white fizzy head, the middle dissapeares about 1/3rd through the drink and the edges stay through the entire drink, oh yeah and good clarity like most Sam Adams products. Based on the appearance alone you can't tell it's a light beer. The smell was ok, smells much less "cheap" than the average light beer. Has a bit of a grainy smell and a little bit of yeast type aroma, not strong though. You can taste the malt with slight bitter aftertaste, again not too string. I wasn't a big fan of the mouthfeel, I found the carbination bite a bit strong for my liking, not quite as strong as a tonic, but it doesn't last long. Despite the my carbination complaint, I found it very drinkable and refreshing. Overall I'd have to be honest that I was impressed.

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.33/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a SA Perfect Pint glass.

A: Pours amber with a wispy cap of white head.

S: Smells like weak Boston Lager...which I suppose is appropriate. Mild caramel-sweet malts with a dash of earthy hops.

T: Slightly watered-down flavour, but not as bad as I though. That familiar Boston Lager flavour is there and its hop presence is pretty nice and crisp.

D: Well, isn't drinkability the whole point of this style? So yes, its drinkable for what it is, but I can't say I'm craving another one.

Overall: Its tough to rate this beer. It isn't that great, but for the STYLE its downright superb! I have to give it a middling rating, but it was actually better than I expected and has to be one of the best light beers I've had yet.

3.03/5  rDev -9.8%

Highs: None
Lows: Compares poorly to the regular Sam Adams lager

Pours golden/amber clear with bubbles and a moderate head that fades away fairly quickly. Nose is of light hops and malt. Flavor is malty and overly sweet, with a diminished hops flavor compared to the orginal. Actually, there is no comparison to a regular Sam Adams Lager, which I consider to be one of the best lagers out there. ItÂ’s just too sweet/malty. Drinkability is average.

Overall: Avoid it and drink the original.

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a small tasting glass.

A--Light amber color. Quick dying head.

S--Smell is faintly fusel, floral and somewhat berry aroma.

T--Grainy malt flavor, some good hop bitterness.

M--Somewhat thin. But full flavor for a light.

D--The only reason I would drink light beer is if I needed save my life and I needed to be weaned off of beer. In that case I may choose death. That said, I looked up similar data on light beers found by others. Seems to be that you would do just as good getting a nice lager than a Sams Light because they have roughly the same number of calories. I can't believe people that there are a group of people who think they are loosing weight by drinking SA Light!

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

3.66/5  rDev +8.9%

Pretaste notes: This is the only light beer I know of that doesn't use adjuncts (rice, corn, etc.). The only ingredients in this light beer are barley, hops, yeast, and water. Sam Adams Light is the only light beer to win a medal at any German beer tasting competition.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass from the 12oz bottle. The beer is a classic "cold gold" color with a hint of red. Head is all-white and grew to two fingers thick after a hard pour. Head dissolved after a bit less than 2 minutes.

Smell: Surprisingly nice aroma with a clean introduction, leading into an aroma of fresh grain and light hops. I was pleasantly surprised to find light fruits in the aroma, alondside fresh hops, which highlights the fact that there are no adjuncts used in the production of the beer.

Taste: Again, very clean throughout, but much maltier than I expected... and that's not a bad thing. This is a light beer that actually delivers on its promise of a bolder taste. There is a nice bready malt backbone throughout alongside a slight caramel note, and a superbly balanced hop profile.

Notes: If I didn't know that this was a light lager, I would have rated it as an American Amber or a regular all-malt lager. This is a great beer that has the potential to ease the average BMC drinker into the realm of craft brews. However, it has all of the calories (and taste, plus more) of a normal American style lager, which I think puts it outside of the realm of light beers. This would be a great alternative to regular Budweiser and other domestic macro lagers because of the sheer fact that it actually has taste, and is very very drinkable... even for the "only-drink-to-get-get-drunk" crowd. Also, this is the only light beer that I consider to be actual beer.

3.83/5  rDev +14%

Poured from 12oz bottle into half-liter Krusovice pilsner glass.

Appearance: Deep golden color with a slightly amber hue. Large tan-ish head that dissipates slowly and leaves thin, light lacing.

Smell: Grainy malt aromas with some grassiness and herbal aromas. Slight metallic hints

Taste: Begins with grainy sweetness, finishing with a slight hop bite and a sweet, buttery aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thin body (slightly more on the medium side) with sharp carbonation and a crisp finish.

Drinkability: As a beer overall, this one is fairly average. As a light beer, however, this stands out in almost every way in comparison to others. I could also see this going well with most foods.

2.25/5  rDev -33%

3.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Light bodied, naturally, light amber color with a decent white head that hangs around and even leaves a bit of lace.

Aroma is also light with mostly sweet malt and a bit of citrusy hops.

Taste is mainly malt with a bit of hops at the finish. Not as good as it's big brother, Sam Adams Boston Lager, but possibly the best light beer around and better than some "regular" lagers. If you have to have "light" beer, this should be first choice.

3.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Good looking brew. Dark Amber in color. Very nice head & ok on lace. I don't know other light beers so I can't compair fairly.It is drinkable with alittle hop smell. But...To me its no Boston Lager, it falls short on finish with no hop kick and leaves mouth with a foam-like feel. Its ok for someone who dosn't know Sam Adams. We that do, its alittle light, then again, thats its purpose.

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)