Samuel Adams Rebel Rider Session IPA
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Rebel Rider Session IPASamuel Adams Rebel Rider Session IPA
Score:
Ranked #44,784
3.47 | pDev: 11.82%
From:
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Massachusetts, United States
Notes:
firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
Reviews: 133 | Ratings: 618
3.73/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle with an expiration date of May 2015. Sampled on February 2, 2015.

Clean looking golden yellow pour with a long lasting white head. Lots of carbonation and lacing.

The aroma is resin, cantaloupe, and toasted barley grain.

Medium body.

Barley grains and pilsener style malts lead up to a modest hop finish. Sessionable is right.

3.42/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from Bert's
clear light golden color with a small quickly dissipating white head. Nose filled with citrus and pine with hints of mineral water and crackery malt. The flavor is light grainy malt with hints of aspirin. Bitter pith and citrus flavors with a touch of pine. Medium to light body with a moderate to high level of carbonation. I keep trying, but I just can't enjoy this "style"

3.55/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle. Poured out a clear, golden yellow color with a small, white head of foam. It smelled of pine, grapefruit and toasted caramel. Mild bitterness with sweet caramel and toffee.

3.58/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Skunky, catty hops dominate initially, with resin underpinnings and big perfumey, floral hop notes rounding out the aroma. Crackery malt and citrusy hop notes of grapefruit and orange pith surface late.

Flavor reveals a light crackery and biscuity malt backbone that links grapefruit and citrus pith to resin in the moderately bitter finish. Floral notes add complexity.

More bitter and herbal than I prefer. Like most session ipas, I'd rather have more malt and flavoring hop character.

3.56/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a six pack of Samuel Adams Rebel Rider last week at Krogers. I thought their Rebel IPA was nice and I though I should give this one a try, so lets see how it goes. Best by May 2015. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice design to it and it's just a little eye catching. It poured a lightly hazy golden yellow color that took on more of a golden orange color when held to the light with a little over two fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some sticky and patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a mixture of floral, spicy, citrus rind and green hops aromas with the green and spicy hops seeming to stick out the most. up next comes some doughy yeast that goes right into the malts which impart some pale malt, light sweet malt, bready and slightly grainy aromas. This beer had a nice aroma with some good balance, but I thought the hop profile could have been a little brighter.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops still being the first to show up and they impart the same mixture that they did in the aroma, but this time they are lighter any no single aspects sticks out more than the others. Up next comes the malts which imparts the exact same aspect that it did in the aroma with those bready malts sticking out the most and the sweet malts show up just a little more this time with some doughy yeast showing up in the background. On the finish there's a really light bitterness with a pretty bready aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, it had good balance, but it still think the hops could show up more and be brighter.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, on the light side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a pretty nice mouthfeel and it worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was a solid example of a Session IPA, but to me it didn't really have that extra wow factor that makes it stand out from the rest, it's still a little above average for the style, but I don't find it to be all that memorable. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, clean, crisp, not too filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, I could drink a few of these, but I would start to get bored with the taste. What I like the most about this beer was the balance, the malts actually showed up and they imparted some nice flavors. What I liked the least about this beer was the hop profile, I thought it could be a little stronger and brighter with a little more bitterness. I wouldn't buy this beer again when I can easily get All Day IPA all year round, but I wouldn't turn one down. I can't say I would recommend it as a great session IPA, but if you really the like the style and balance you might really enjoy it. All in all I liked this beer, but I didn't love, I think it had some good potential especially with the malt base, the hop profile just needs a little work. This one seems to be pretty average for Samuel Adam's and it's just a little above average for the style. Nice work job, guys this was a solid Session IPA, keep it up.

3.6/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A - clear gold.straw with a thick white head. Leaves moderate lacing.
S - Light hops, light malt. Hops are floral, slightly earthy, lemon grass.
T - Again light on the hops, malt, caramel, finish is not clean, but lingers.
M - Thin, medium carb. Coats the palate.
O - A good session IPA, but I've yet to find one of the style that really stands out. Give it a shot. $8.99 for a sixer, what've ya got to lose?

2.73/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

After being pleasantly surprised by the Rebel IPA I figured I'd give this a try. The hops aroma was promising but then I had to go ahead and make the mistake of tasting it. Maybe I just got a bad batch but this was not good. Not sure how it could smell so tempting and taste so craptastic (industry term).

3.48/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a yellow-orange color with a fingers worth of head that fades down to a thin cap

S: Some citrus and pine up front, along with a supporting maltiness. Slightly perfumey

T: Follows the nose. Light pine and citrus backed up by some maltiness. Lightly bitter, with a floral, perfumey background

M: Light bodied with moderate carbonation

O: Fairly light on... everything. The hops shine, but that isn't saying much because of how light of a general flavor it has. Not all that much more than hop water, which is what most (if not all) session IPAs end up being

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
Samuel Adams Rebel Rider Session IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 79 out of 100 with 618 ratings