Samuel Adams Millennium | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams MillenniumSamuel Adams Millennium

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by Todd on 10-08-2001

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 37 | Ratings: 77

I was lucky enough to taste this wonderful brew at the 1999 and the 2000 GABF. At the 1999 GABF I was there as the guest of the Eel River Brewery and was at the Saturday (Brewer's/AHBA members) session. I will never forget the taste of the Millennium. This is a striking beer, very complex with a hint of maple (Gee, wonder why). I would really like to taste this in five years, in ten years... I wonder when it will be the best? I think it was in 2000, to share with the one I love - THE BEST.

I’m not normally this pithy, but I’ll simply say that this beer was simply sublime, and easily transcended the realm of beer and became something far more ethereal. I’d go into more detail, but my last bottle was drained in 2001, and I just realized that I’d never posted my comments years ago, so this just seemed like the time appointed by the Universe to rectify the omission.
I remember the beer being exceptionally smooth, with notes of bourbon, subtly charred oak, maple, and a definite sensation of sipping something more akin to a fine cognac.

Marc Nolan I owe you in a big way for this one.

A: Pours a nice still chestnut brown. Thick and clingy.

S: Pure sex in a bottle. Rich sweet toffee with brown sugar and nuts. Vanilla, light oak, and booze.

T: I have died and gone to heaven. Wow does this one live up to any expectation that I ever had. Tons of candy sweetness. Toffee, caramel, maple, and brown sugar. Mild candied dark fruits with fresh scratched vanilla beans. Just a dash of the booze I picked up in the nose.

M: Rich, thick, decadent.

D: Awesome I could sip on it until the entire bottle is gone. Pass on the Utopias and seek this one out. It is worth the worth the price it commands on the bidding sites.

4.97/5  rDev +7.6%

First off, let me note that this was the worst cork I have ever dealt with. If you are preparing to open a bottle, be sure to have a very long corkscrew and be sure it is all the way through the bottom of the cork before attempting to remove. My cork broke in half and it became a nightmare trying to get the rest out. Now...on to the beer.

The beginning pours a beautiful and appetizing caramel color...no head as would be expected. The bottom of the bottle has more of a muddy brown color, so there is definitely sediment in here. It is not chunky however.

The aroma is just a luscious caramel treat. There is a big dose of booze, but not any more than would be expected for a beer this strength. It is just so deep and rich and sweet and perfect. Very similar to Utopias with a lower alcohol burn.

The flavor takes it to the next level. I came in expecting a rich and boozy treat, and while it certainly is rich there really isn't much booze at all considering the style. Sweet caramel and chocolate covered cherry are up front with plenty of dark fruit and apple sweetness following. Almost no heat. My mind is boggled. THIS is 21%? Apple and raisin sweetness lingers on the palate long after swallowing. Brilliant really, one of the best tasting beers I've ever had and certainly the best tasting strong ale.

The body is on the full side of medium and has no carbonation. Fits perfectly with the flavor profile. There is a burn in the back of the throat after swallowing, but it is not fusel at all and is merely a warming sensation.

Overall this beer has blown my mind. I never felt like it could possibly be worth the cash so it was never on my radar, but when this bottle slipped my way for a reasonable price I had to take a chance. And holy shit am I glad I took that chance! I've never been one to say "believe the hype"....but in this case, I'm not sure any other words can be said.

4.94/5  rDev +6.9%

Opened with five different vintages of Utopias with the crew. Not all the Utopias were finished but this was. We expected this to be tame and maybe not on the same level as the recent Utopias but we were mistaken, this blew everything away and was possibly the best beer Ive ever had. Amazing palate of vanilla bean, candy apples, marshmallow, and a lot of port, almost bourbon like flavors. Some bottles of Utopias were nearly disgusting drank beside this. Seemed way more developed or integrated. Kind of subtle at fist but just awesome. Thick rich mouthfeel, amazing long finish. Im only taking points off for the look as its not what one would expect. We drink some great beers with this group and this has been the best, way better than M a couple years back and pretty much all other barrel aged American whales weve opened. Thanks again to Jeff for getting this.

4.93/5  rDev +6.7%

big thanks goes out to GrumpyOldTroll, jbuddle, Sean9689, SpeedwayJim, AgentZero, dtmets84 for sharing in the greatest day of beer that i have ever been a part of. huge thanks to jim and josh for tracking down and providing this bit of unobtainium.

notes from 1/12/2013

this was my biggest want and personal whale - consumed from a utopias glass.

the beer poured fairly still as expected. maroon ornage with no head, no bubbles. smells of booze and caramel. tastes UNREAL. little slice of heaven in a glass. everything is well integrated. happiness. this one deserves a score of "7" on taste, but alas i can only give it a 5. josh says that it is liquiried caramel and he's spot on. this was THE highlight of a tasting that included dave, m, and others on that level. this was far better than what i expected and i expected a LOT.

4.92/5  rDev +6.5%

Review 1000. I can't think of a more fitting beer for such an occasion. A huge thanks to Paul for opening this for my 1000th. Six ounces poured into a snifter.

A: Deep reddish brown and still. Very nice color. A swirl of the glass yields the most impressive legs I've ever seen on a beer, with an accompanying string of pearls. Simply beautiful.

S: The aroma is unbelievable. Sherry-like oxidation is graceful and does the beer much credit. Huge maple aroma, with lots of brown sugar and light date notes. Honey is pronounced, with toffee, whisky, and faint caramel. Notes of tobacco and faint leather are present. The aroma exhibits evident heat, imparting a subtle nostril sting. Flawless.

T: Amazingly complex. Like the aroma, the taste exhibits big maple notes with brown sugar, whisky, and toffee. Oxidation is sherry-like. Date is pronounced, and there are evident leather notes. The beer is very rich and complex. There's a good amount of booze heat, but it is not out of place. Near the end there's a note that reminds me of a cherry cordial. Unreal.

M: Medium in body with ample warming and a smooth, syrupy mouthfeel. The beer is still. Alcohol is warming on the palate.

Overall: An incredible beer that I am thankful to have tried. I cannot recommend this enough. World class stuff.

4.89/5  rDev +5.8%

Cracked at 16 years old. Color is dark amber with no head or lacing (as expected with no carb). The smell is like a brandied fig. The taste is creamy barrel age, like a smoother utopia. The feel is pure bliss, smooth all the way. Absolute fantastic to try my original white whale.

4.86/5  rDev +5.2%

Holy Santa Claus sshit. Thanks suitcase Jon for sharing this mega waleeee. I didn't know I was in Wales (all the signs said New York)

No head. Color is a clear copper. Looks like a liquor.

Aroma: maple syrup, oak, vanilla, bourbon, caramel and some other light spices. The nose is so complex and so inviting. A touch if allspice.

Taste: so much oak and wood. Then the maple syrup hits with some sweet flavors. Candied sugar and caramel with vanilla. The alcohol doesn't show at all. There is a hint of bourbon, but it is mainly oak.

Mouthfeel: is sweet and warming. Very smooth. Obviously low amount of carbonation. Ends with some sweetness on the palate.

Overall, this beer is incredible. One of the best liquids I have ever drank. So easy to drink. So complex.

4.84/5  rDev +4.8%

Josh and I acquired this one in a joint effort. 3oz. pour into a Utopias glass. Reviewed from notes 1/12/13.

Pours no head, no lace, no carbonation. Beer is a dark, slightly clear orange-brown. Huge legs. Nice color but everything else is pretty average for the style.

Nose is big booziness with caramel, sweet green raisins, toffee, and molasses. Sweet and rich all the way through and incredibly aromatic as expected.

Opens caramel, toffee, booze, dark raisins and prune, molasses, honey, brown sugar. Sweet booze and honey on the finish and more syrup in the aftertaste. Great complement of flavors displayed here and the booziness really caresses the complexities in this beer.

Full bodied with no carbonation. Oily and slick and boozy in the mouth and with a bit of heat going down. Messy finish with a sweet, sticky, long aftertaste. Incredibly drinkable given the high ABV.

I can't help but try to get one of these for myself so I can have an ounce or so every couple of months. Indescribably good, MMM is everything you could want from this style. The flavors are not only perfectly integrated, but also complement each other perfectly. The booziness is there but this beer isn't hot for the sake of beer hot. Rather, the booze adds a rich depth of character that enhances the nose, flavor, and feel of this beer. In a tasting featuring M, Dave, and MMM, this beer was the clear winner for a lot of us.

4.84/5  rDev +4.8%

Thanks, Nick.

The body is a deep amber, carbonation non-existent. Swirling reveals syrupy legs.

The nose is incredible. Oxidation is evident, somewhat port-like and mildly leathery. Plenty of maple syrup and brown sugar sweetness, and there's just a touch of alcohol. Vanilla and earthy oak come out more as the beer opens.

Brown sugar and maple syrup meet earthy, leathery complexity on the tongue. This beer has oxidized beautifully, becoming almost port or sherry-like. There's a vinous quality to it, and a rich fruitiness similar to fig jam. The texture is still, full-bodied, somewhat syrupy though very inviting. A lingering, tannic, mildly hot finish sticks to the palate for minutes between sips.

Overall, it's not far off from Utopias, only with more oxidation and less brash alcohol. Delicious stuff, sadly I'll probably never try it again.

4.83/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Another huge tick, opened at the 1/12/13 NYC tasting. Thanks to Jim for splitting the trade with me! Poured from the waxed blue bottle into a Utopias taster.

Looks a little dead in the glass, and honestly not particularly pretty. The appearance is this beers biggest knock. Deep brown, a bit opaque.

The aroma and taste are straight 5's. This is on another level from Utopias - its like a caramel factory was doused with brandy and lit on fire. Smell intoxicating, full of alcohol, burnt sugar, a bit of sweet liquor and molasses. A touch of green apple but it seems to work here. The taste is liquid caramel and booze in perfect harmony. We had Utopias 10th later in the evening and its not even close to how perfectly MMM comes together. The barrels really have done some amazing work with this, and this beer is tasting sublime right now.

Mouthfeel is a little lighter than Dave, a bit more like a brandy than beer, but wholly inviting and quite well done.

Sam Adams Millenium stole the show. I see others at this tasting are already unloading their cellars for another bottle. It's that good.

4.82/5  rDev +4.3%

A major thank you is due to Adam for sharing this with us. Pours into a snifter.

(A)- Pours a dark sludgy brown caramel color. Pretty much flat, but it was meant to be this way.

(S)- A rich caramel / toffee/ and brown sugar aroma. Very delicious smelling. Smooth despite the massive ABV.

(T)- A beautifully rich, yet almost mellow sweet profile of caramel/ toffee/ brown sugar. Hints at raisin, dark fruits, and everything else I cannot comprehend. My review fails in comparison to what this is really like.

(M)- Not much in regards to carbonation, but thats perfectly fine for what this is supposed to be. So smooth, mellow, rich, and complex. The ABV level absolutely baffles me with how smooth this is.

(D)- This has aged beautifully and simply a great sipping beer. Incredible really, considering the ABV level and age this has on it with this amount of flavor without being overpowering. Simply superb. Thank you again Adam for this extremely delicious yet rare treat.

4.82/5  rDev +4.3%

"Intermission" beer at the DC Lambic & Sour Tasting on April 14, 2012, courtesy of ygtbsm94. Thanks a lot, Brad!

The beer is light brown with only a mild haze and no head whatsoever, which is to be expected.

The aroma is fabulous, offering maple syrup, booze, toffee, vanilla, oak.

The flavor? Oh my...hold on, I need a moment (tears). If I was a lonely rich guy, I would drink this straight from the bottle immediately after getting out of bed around noon. Incredibly balanced and rich, with all of the characteristics mentioned in the aroma transferring beautifully into the flavor.

Silky, velvety smooth. The beer melts into the palate and delicately warms the cheeks. Heavenly.

If loving this is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

4.79/5  rDev +3.7%

12 oz (or so) hand bottle split and poured into a Duvel tulip.

I'm forever in debt to Adam (the effing BALLER!) Alcstradamus (or as I'll be referring to him now; BALcstradamus) for sharing this brew I never thought I'd get to try in a millennium (heh).

A - The brew was clear caramel brown in the clear swing-top, hip-flask looking bottle before the pour. Muddy pond water with no head left over after. (I'll take the sediment if it means another ounce of this brew!)

S - Warm alcohol and gooey caramel with light Vienna malt and smooth maple syrup. Very warm but nicely nuanced with notes of port and sherry. Awesome!

T - Vienna malt and sticky caramel with delicious maple syrup and smooth, warm alcohol on the finish.

M - Smooth and warm alcohol permeates out of this brew and adds a great feel to the beer as well as flavor. No carbonation is to be expected and actually allows for a nice, rich feel.

D - Extremely drinkable for how warm (not hot) the alcohol is in this. Not only is it incredible after all these years, it's awesome to try the precursor to Utopias and see the foundation those beers were built on.

Another big thanks to Adam for being the crazy baller he is for always sharing insane shit with the tickerazzi!

4.77/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Samuel Adams (MMM) Millenium (1999) [Bottle #703/3000]. I finally got to check this one off of the "bucket list!" The beer was served chilled to 55°F & after the cork was surgically removed, the beer poured up into a port glass without much effervescence or any discernible head over a deep copper red body with a slight chill haze. The aromatics of apple brandy, bourbon vanilla, caramel flan, French cider & molasses chips. The flavor started with a rich salted caramel character that gives way to a defined toastiness from the Vienna malt gently balanced by a spicy, Noble hop bitterness that created a lovely warming but never boozy or cloying finish. The worldly experience was not unlike drinking a fine Hors d'âge brandy. Thanks to an old friend for the opportunity. Cheers!

4.76/5  rDev +3%

Availability: limited edition

Presentation: Straight out of the cask at the Boston Beer Co. brewery in Jamaica Plains, MA. However ... The one I'm sitting on comes in a fitted wood case with a "MMM" placard on the front. The bottle is then covered in a wine-style sheath which is also embossed with the "MMM" and the bottle itself is hand signed by Jim Koch with its edition number (1515/3000).

Appearance: Syrupy consistency and a rich amber in colour.

Smell: Mixed fruits, delicate, candy-like, big banana and mild scotch in the aroma.

Taste: Smoooooth. Notes of Jack Daniel's, huge vanilla, bourbon, spicy alcohol and caramel flavours. Body is ultra-rich and full.

Notes: Brewed with maple syrup and aged in old Jack Daniel's barrels. I've had this straight from the cask at the brewery and out of a corny-keg at the 2000 GABF. I recently picked up bottle 1515/3000 -- the only one left at Bread & Circus in Central Square, Cambridge, MA. They only charged me $150 for it!

My above (quick) notes are from a tasting at the brewery. Definitely a sipping drink.

4.7/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

lantern corps beer summit 2010 - day 1, oct 8/2010. xmarcnolanx contributed this one. thanks marc!

500ml corked bottle.

pours slightly hazy orangey red. no sign of head or carbonation.

aroma is great. alcohol. bit of nail polish remover. sherry. bourbon. vanilla and raw oak. caramel and toffee. whole wheat bread and cracker. bit of biscuit. dark fruit - raisin and date.

taste is awesome. sweet caramel and toffee. it feels almost gritty with sugar. raisin, date, fig, light plum. bit of apple. actually, sort of like liquid candy apple. warming alcohol, but less than i got from the aroma. biscuit. whole wheat bread. cracker. tons of complexity. low bitterness level. vanilla and raw oak. bourbon and a bit of sherry.

mouthfeel is great. nice big body. zero carbonation, but that seems to make it a sipper, more like a spirit than a beer in that regard.

drinkability is great. great balance. it smells like the alcohol would be pretty hot, but it has lots of sugar and body to help balance that out.

4.69/5  rDev +1.5%

Thanks for the hookup, Alen!

L - Deep pooey, hazey brown that goes from walnut in the center to amber at the edges of my Thomas Hardy's snifter. Shiny top looks pleasant, still and dead in the glass, with long, long legs as I tilt my snifter.

S - Dark sea salt caramel, lightly burnt toffee, cordial cherries, knocke down a touch because of the wiffs of alcohol (perhaps Grand Marnier and cognac) after 12 years.

T - Absolutely delicious. Blond caramel and dark toffee, old oak, again perhaps a bare hint of Grand Marnier with some vinous sherry, the alcohol notes actually lifting the other flavors at this point in its life. This has plenty of life left in it.

M - Smooooth, the alcohol heat takes the place of what would be carbonation to make this flex itself on the tongue, really coming together softly at the front and with a sharp tingle heat that lingers and leaves the flavor in my mouth.

O - What a joy to drink, this has plenty of life right now and is really a beautiful drink.

O -

4.67/5  rDev +1.1%

So my extended tasting group includes a handful of guys. Fringe guys that don't live close or are always busy. So I only see them for special occasions. Adam is one of the guys that lives far away. Tasting buddy, friend and straight up baller when it comes to insane beers he's shared with us. Every time we see him he has beers up his sleeve that beer geeks have wet dreams about. He likes to play coy whenever pressed about what he's sharing. So imagine our surprise when he pulls a bottle of this legend out of his bag. Andy needed smelling salts and a splash of water, sweem was in the corner trembling and sobbing uncontrollably and I managed to shit myself. Am I painting a picture of the shock in the room yet?

A: Cloudy cider brown with no head and no lace. Not surprised considering the abv on this bad boy. Swirling leaves some really sexy legs around the glass though.

S: Wow! The aroma is like a glass of warm boozy (in a good way) maple syrup with port soaked dark fruits and toasted pecans. Old worn in leather, caramel, toffee, brown sugar and hint of vanilla. This reminds me of a softer gentler Utopias.

T: Again wow! Super smooth and warm maple pecan syrup. Dark fruits drizzled with caramel and port. The heat is very subdued.

M: Still fullish body. Reminds me of a fine aged brown spirit.

D: This was a fantastic beer to sample. I'm glad I've had Utopias several times so I had something to compare it to. So rich and flavorful and easy to drink. I am forever grateful to Adam for sharing this with us. Worth having to change my drawers for sure.

4.67/5  rDev +1.1%

Bottle shared by ygtbsm94, thanks Brad! This was a longshot (pun intended) want of mine for years and I had basically completely given up on it. Never say never. Served in a tumbler.

Beer is brown with no head, legs on the glass, no lacing, no carbonation, a little hazy at the bottom of the bottle but looks good.

Aroma is brown sugar, a mild heat / alcohol, strong maple, oak, sweet syrup. This is going to taste awesome.

Weighing in at 21% ABV, this beer drinks like a dream, seriously, sweet, thick, syrupy, dry finish, oaky, maple, sweet, a sipper but a phenomenal beer all around. This beer shits all over Utopias and I like Utopias. It is amazing and I would drink this beer until I was blind. More? Yes please.

4.63/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bottle 2466 as far as we could tell. Cork mostly broke apart, so bottle was poured through a sieve. Very reserved nose. A faint woody character, plenty of maple, and some oxidized booze scents. The taste is full but reserved. Maple forward. Booze is incredibly mellow at this ABV. Raisins, caramelized/brandied figs, brown sugar, overripe pineapple, and biscotti. The mouthfeel is quite thin. No carb. Like an after dinner drink. Not terribly oxidized on the whole but some sherry notes. Very unique experience.

4.57/5  rDev -1.1%

Many thanks to YGTBSM94 for sharing at a 4/14/2012 tasting

Appearance: Plum-dark brown pour with no head or lacing

Smell: Maple sugar, brown sugar, touch of sweet (not blackstrap) molasses, perhaps some sugar cane. Bits of toffee and sherry also

Taste: Sweet maple, sherry, port, brown sugar, toffee, and sweet molasses. Very tasty. Not as much booze to it as I expected.

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy, you can feel the sugar.

Overall: Very different than what I think of as beer, but very tasty and highly enjoyable.

4.54/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Sampled at the Tasting to Sink all Sea Shepherds. Thanks Dylan for bringing this, I had been looking forward to trying it for a long time.
A: Pours dark brown with copper glints, completely still as expected from such a high ABV beer.
S: Smell of caramel, fudge, dried fruits and booze. Alcohol is dominating and makes the smell deep and intoxicating.
T: Decadent taste! Chocolate, fudge, vanilla, caramel first come to mind. Then comes a huge alcohol kick which highlights flavors of soaked fruits, cherry and plum. The booziness in there is actually very welcome :-p Finishes on chocolate and fudge and a delicious sweetness in the front of the tongue. Absolutely no trace of its age, neither on the nose nor on the palate.
M: Medium to high bodied. Actually a bit light to support the alcohol and flavors (lighter than Utopia's). Still, the beer remains highly drinkable for what it is.
O: Great beer, not very subtle, the kind of beer one would hate to love! It has a great mix of flavors, and is far more drinkable than Bruery stouts, for instance. It's somehow very different from Utopias also, but it's a lovely beer!

4.52/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle 133 / 3000. Cork was super dry, and broke to pieces, thank God I saved the contents from being infiltrated with cork pieces. It poured a hazy brownish red color with no head. When swirled in the snifter it did coat the glass nicely.Aroma of vanilla, caramel and molasses. The alcohol tingled my eyes and nose hairs. Sweet taste of toffee, honey, butterscotch, cinnamon, and molasses. Strong raisin taste with a warm alcohol finish.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Samuel Adams Millennium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)