Samuel Adams Millennium | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams MillenniumSamuel Adams Millennium

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by Todd on 10-08-2001

I was lucky enough to taste this wonderful brew at the 1999 and the 2000 GABF. At the 1999 GABF I was there as the guest of the Eel River Brewery and was at the Saturday (Brewer's/AHBA members) session. I will never forget the taste of the Millennium. This is a striking beer, very complex with a hint of maple (Gee, wonder why). I would really like to taste this in five years, in ten years... I wonder when it will be the best? I think it was in 2000, to share with the one I love - THE BEST.

Drink on Superbowl Sunday 2016 16 years old and amazing

I’m not normally this pithy, but I’ll simply say that this beer was sublime, and easily transcended the realm of beer and became something far more ethereal. I’d go into more detail, but my last bottle was drained in 2001, and I just realized that I’d never posted my comments years ago, so this just seemed like the time appointed by the Universe to rectify that omission.
I remember the beer being exceptionally smooth, with notes of bourbon, subtly charred oak, maple, and a definite sensation of sipping something more akin to a fine cognac.

This beer was pretty good I thought.

Marc Nolan I owe you in a big way for this one.

A: Pours a nice still chestnut brown. Thick and clingy.

S: Pure sex in a bottle. Rich sweet toffee with brown sugar and nuts. Vanilla, light oak, and booze.

T: I have died and gone to heaven. Wow does this one live up to any expectation that I ever had. Tons of candy sweetness. Toffee, caramel, maple, and brown sugar. Mild candied dark fruits with fresh scratched vanilla beans. Just a dash of the booze I picked up in the nose.

M: Rich, thick, decadent.

D: Awesome I could sip on it until the entire bottle is gone. Pass on the Utopias and seek this one out. It is worth the worth the price it commands on the bidding sites.

4.97/5  rDev +7.6%

First off, let me note that this was the worst cork I have ever dealt with. If you are preparing to open a bottle, be sure to have a very long corkscrew and be sure it is all the way through the bottom of the cork before attempting to remove. My cork broke in half and it became a nightmare trying to get the rest out. Now...on to the beer.

The beginning pours a beautiful and appetizing caramel color...no head as would be expected. The bottom of the bottle has more of a muddy brown color, so there is definitely sediment in here. It is not chunky however.

The aroma is just a luscious caramel treat. There is a big dose of booze, but not any more than would be expected for a beer this strength. It is just so deep and rich and sweet and perfect. Very similar to Utopias with a lower alcohol burn.

The flavor takes it to the next level. I came in expecting a rich and boozy treat, and while it certainly is rich there really isn't much booze at all considering the style. Sweet caramel and chocolate covered cherry are up front with plenty of dark fruit and apple sweetness following. Almost no heat. My mind is boggled. THIS is 21%? Apple and raisin sweetness lingers on the palate long after swallowing. Brilliant really, one of the best tasting beers I've ever had and certainly the best tasting strong ale.

The body is on the full side of medium and has no carbonation. Fits perfectly with the flavor profile. There is a burn in the back of the throat after swallowing, but it is not fusel at all and is merely a warming sensation.

Overall this beer has blown my mind. I never felt like it could possibly be worth the cash so it was never on my radar, but when this bottle slipped my way for a reasonable price I had to take a chance. And holy shit am I glad I took that chance! I've never been one to say "believe the hype"....but in this case, I'm not sure any other words can be said.

4.95/5  rDev +7.1%

4.94/5  rDev +6.9%

Opened with five different vintages of Utopias with the crew. Not all the Utopias were finished but this was. We expected this to be tame and maybe not on the same level as the recent Utopias but we were mistaken, this blew everything away and was possibly the best beer Ive ever had. Amazing palate of vanilla bean, candy apples, marshmallow, and a lot of port, almost bourbon like flavors. Some bottles of Utopias were nearly disgusting drank beside this. Seemed way more developed or integrated. Kind of subtle at fist but just awesome. Thick rich mouthfeel, amazing long finish. Im only taking points off for the look as its not what one would expect. We drink some great beers with this group and this has been the best, way better than M a couple years back and pretty much all other barrel aged American whales weve opened. Thanks again to Jeff for getting this.

4.93/5  rDev +6.7%

big thanks goes out to GrumpyOldTroll, jbuddle, Sean9689, SpeedwayJim, AgentZero, dtmets84 for sharing in the greatest day of beer that i have ever been a part of. huge thanks to jim and josh for tracking down and providing this bit of unobtainium.

notes from 1/12/2013

this was my biggest want and personal whale - consumed from a utopias glass.

the beer poured fairly still as expected. maroon ornage with no head, no bubbles. smells of booze and caramel. tastes UNREAL. little slice of heaven in a glass. everything is well integrated. happiness. this one deserves a score of "7" on taste, but alas i can only give it a 5. josh says that it is liquiried caramel and he's spot on. this was THE highlight of a tasting that included dave, m, and others on that level. this was far better than what i expected and i expected a LOT.

4.92/5  rDev +6.5%

4/30/2011

Review 1000. I can't think of a more fitting beer for such an occasion. A huge thanks to Paul for opening this for my 1000th. Six ounces poured into a snifter.

A: Deep reddish brown and still. Very nice color. A swirl of the glass yields the most impressive legs I've ever seen on a beer, with an accompanying string of pearls. Simply beautiful.

S: The aroma is unbelievable. Sherry-like oxidation is graceful and does the beer much credit. Huge maple aroma, with lots of brown sugar and light date notes. Honey is pronounced, with toffee, whisky, and faint caramel. Notes of tobacco and faint leather are present. The aroma exhibits evident heat, imparting a subtle nostril sting. Flawless.

T: Amazingly complex. Like the aroma, the taste exhibits big maple notes with brown sugar, whisky, and toffee. Oxidation is sherry-like. Date is pronounced, and there are evident leather notes. The beer is very rich and complex. There's a good amount of booze heat, but it is not out of place. Near the end there's a note that reminds me of a cherry cordial. Unreal.

M: Medium in body with ample warming and a smooth, syrupy mouthfeel. The beer is still. Alcohol is warming on the palate.

Overall: An incredible beer that I am thankful to have tried. I cannot recommend this enough. World class stuff.

4.89/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.89/5  rDev +5.8%

Cracked at 16 years old. Color is dark amber with no head or lacing (as expected with no carb). The smell is like a brandied fig. The taste is creamy barrel age, like a smoother utopia. The feel is pure bliss, smooth all the way. Absolute fantastic to try my original white whale.

4.86/5  rDev +5.2%

Holy Santa Claus sshit. Thanks suitcase Jon for sharing this mega waleeee. I didn't know I was in Wales (all the signs said New York)

No head. Color is a clear copper. Looks like a liquor.

Aroma: maple syrup, oak, vanilla, bourbon, caramel and some other light spices. The nose is so complex and so inviting. A touch if allspice.

Taste: so much oak and wood. Then the maple syrup hits with some sweet flavors. Candied sugar and caramel with vanilla. The alcohol doesn't show at all. There is a hint of bourbon, but it is mainly oak.

Mouthfeel: is sweet and warming. Very smooth. Obviously low amount of carbonation. Ends with some sweetness on the palate.

Overall, this beer is incredible. One of the best liquids I have ever drank. So easy to drink. So complex.

4.84/5  rDev +4.8%

Josh and I acquired this one in a joint effort. 3oz. pour into a Utopias glass. Reviewed from notes 1/12/13.

Pours no head, no lace, no carbonation. Beer is a dark, slightly clear orange-brown. Huge legs. Nice color but everything else is pretty average for the style.

Nose is big booziness with caramel, sweet green raisins, toffee, and molasses. Sweet and rich all the way through and incredibly aromatic as expected.

Opens caramel, toffee, booze, dark raisins and prune, molasses, honey, brown sugar. Sweet booze and honey on the finish and more syrup in the aftertaste. Great complement of flavors displayed here and the booziness really caresses the complexities in this beer.

Full bodied with no carbonation. Oily and slick and boozy in the mouth and with a bit of heat going down. Messy finish with a sweet, sticky, long aftertaste. Incredibly drinkable given the high ABV.

I can't help but try to get one of these for myself so I can have an ounce or so every couple of months. Indescribably good, MMM is everything you could want from this style. The flavors are not only perfectly integrated, but also complement each other perfectly. The booziness is there but this beer isn't hot for the sake of beer hot. Rather, the booze adds a rich depth of character that enhances the nose, flavor, and feel of this beer. In a tasting featuring M, Dave, and MMM, this beer was the clear winner for a lot of us.

Samuel Adams Millennium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)