Samuel Adams Cream Stout
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
Score:
Ranked #8,608
3.95 | pDev: 12.41%
From:
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Massachusetts, United States
Notes:
Reviews: 1,274 | Ratings: 2,750 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Chris_Cali_2o9:

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

There is a notch on the left side of the label under NOV 2017, and "ENJOY BEFORE MONTH NOTCHED."

Appearance: The body looks black and it has a good sized light khaki head.

Aroma: It has a really nice aroma which is a mix between coffee and burnt popcorn kernels. It is strong enough to leap out of the glass at about arms length but delicate enough that when approached it doesn't become overwhelmingly strong.

Taste: When it hits the palate there is a bit of a roasted and burnt flavor but it is shortly replaced with the taste of coffee. This is then quickly replaced by this nice mix of toffee and burnt toffee which is really the highlight here. That burnt toffee flavor is just a tad sweet and it makes you want to take another sip to drink it again.

Mouthfeel: It feels a bit light in body for a cream stout. There just isn't much texture to the beer, like it is a bit thin. Other than that the beer has a nice flow across the palate and the carbonation feels good. A bit of a dry finish.

Overall: It has some good flavors and aroma but it is lacking in body. It focuses on roasted flavor but it has a nice sweet edge right at the end. It's good enough that I would drink it again.

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

Very good cream stout. I found this while I was looking for Left Handed Brewing Milk Stout (Colorado)
Good smell and feel. The was was ok..I was thinking it be more like the Milk Stout. We now have LHB in Massachusetts so I would definitely go with that.

3.92/5  rDev -0.8%

Freshness notched Feb 2005

Deep, dark brown just a hair short of totality. Bit of light tan foam that soon gives it up.

Heavy malty, smoky, winey aroma.

Bit of hop bite upfront cuts into rich, chocolately malt with smoky finish. Mellow mouthfeel.

Very, very nice stout - but not a milk stout. I like this a lot, but it's not at all sweet. The label tries to weasel out of it by saying it's "the cream of stouts". Sorry, but I'm knocking a point off for misleading the humble beer drinker.

Got this in the winter mix 12 pack. 12 oz. bottle poured into my pint glass. Pours a very dark brown/black color with a tan head 2/3 of an inch thick when poured. Settles to a nice surface layer with very nice lacing. Malty aromas of toasted coffee, caramel, and chocolate are present. Rounded out some hops. The taste is pretty much the same. Toasted malt, coffee, caramel, and chocolate hints, rounded out some some hoppy goodness. Very nice balance, although the sweeter flavors are a bit stronger here. Has a full bodied, crisp and frothy mouthfeel with moderate to heavy carbonation. easy to drink in the way well crafted beer should be to the developed palate. Another excellent offering from the fine folks at the Boston Beer Company. pick up a Winter Mix 12 pack and try this!

Eric

4.02/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours an impenetrable black with a small tan head. The lacing is fairly minimal.

The smell is absolutely fantastic. Roasted malts and sweet coffee spring to mind.

The flavor -- while a bit muted -- harkens back to the aroma. You get a well-rounded stout with the nice roasted malts and a bit of chocolate and coffee flavor, but there's the underlying sweetness typical of the style that really makes this a nice beer.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin as far as stouts are concerned, but it's not so watery as to ruin the experience.

This is an amazingly drinkable stout, and while it's not the best sweet stout I've ever had, you have to tip your cap to the folks at Sam Adams. It's goddamn impressive that they can brew beer of such quality on such a massive scale.

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle into a mug.

A- Very dark/opaque mahogany....essentially black. ~1 finger of head, which quickly fades to a thin covering.

S- Coffee, some chocolate, and a fleeting earthy hint, which seems to have abated on subsequent sniffs.

T- Coffee, chocolate, a bit of sweetness and roastiness. Superb. Even better than I was expecting.

M- Medium/smooth. Pleasing.

D- Extremely high. This one was difficult to savor; It was tasting so good, I had trouble setting it down....almost chugging...color me impressed!

Future outlook: Repeat business imminent.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

3.82/5  rDev -3.3%

Beer pours very dark brown, and lets a small amout of amber light through. Has a thick rocky head, that dissapears fast and leaves sub par lacing throughout the glass

smells just like Guinness, what more can I say. Raw chocolate and earthy.

The taste is slightly more hoppy than the dry Irish Stout, but still has plenty of roasted malt bitter-sweetness. As you get to the bottom and it warms a bit, you start to pick up a different sweetness like cherries. (made with lactose maybe?)

As far as the feel of this beer. It's not as "creamy" or thick as one might think. The flavors don't stick around very long. Also, imo the bubbles are too big for a stout.

This is a pretty "light" stout, but with a descent flavor and just under 5% abv, it is most drinkable without being a gut grenade.

3.63/5  rDev -8.1%

I really want to like Samuel Adams brews but until trying their Cream Stout, remained disappointed. I find their lager and ale to be too hoppy. The Cream Stout, however, was a game changer. It is not easily found in my area so anytime I come across a supply I buy several six-packs. It looks good, smells good, pours good, and taste good. My only negative is the head disappears too soon and there is little to no lacing.

3.65/5  rDev -7.6%

12 oz bottle

Apperance: Dark brown, amder when held up to the light...I mean the light bulb, this is not an amber beer, i just wanted to see what was in there. this is almost black in normal light. head is great. Looks like a malted milkshake, i hope it tastes like one. head is think and off-white. The head looks and retains like a rootbeer float. thats the best description of it.

Nose: The first things I smell are mint and spices. this beer does not have a boring smell, it does, however, have a faint one. Charcoal and unsweetened chocolate. Also some freshly cut grass in the begining.

Taste: this was very pleasent. A little bitter at the end from the hops. I get the same chocolate as I smelled. it is a bit dry all the way through. It smells sweeter than it tastes. Think hops and chocolate...unsweetened. I did not get anything I would consider cream in the tasting...or the nose.

Notes: A very good stout. It's not too bitter and it isnt too sweet. it's just right.

3.46/5  rDev -12.4%

Second beer of the night, poured into a goblet as it was my only clean glass. Very dark, almost black color with some light tan head that receded to a thin veil of a covering but left nice lacing. I might have a stuffed nose or something, because i wasn't smelling anything from this beer.

Taste is lighter on the roasted malts than most stouts tend to be, which i like. Biggest drawback here is the little bit of metallic aftertaste that i keep getting after every sip. Tasty, though.

Mouthfeel here is not what i was looking for. Feels pretty thin for a regular, let alone a cream stout. Carbonation seems a bit high, as well. Though it has its faults, this is a decent beer. If you like darker beers, pick up the Sam adams winter mixed pack and give this one a try.

4.41/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights. A small beige head forms and recedes to a ring in an instant. Not much lace to speak of.
S: Some astringent roasted malt at first. A bit of lactic milk. Chocolate, coffee, and smoke follow. Even some dark fruits can be detected. Smells enticing.
T: This is great. A huge roasted malt flavor with chocolate, coffee, and tons of smoke. Some caramel sweetness and darks fruits as well. The flavor lingers on forever.
M/D: A full body that is well carbonated, rich, and creamy. Very smooth and easy to drink. Something I can quaff with no problem.

What a great relief in the armpit of airports that is known as Atlanta International. I really enjoyed this. I remember this being to much for me when I first tried it years ago. Its amazing how much our tastes change over time. Highly recommended.

4.37/5  rDev +10.6%

Served in a bottle. Consumed in June, side of the bottle notched for June.

A - Poured into a glass was blacker than any stouts I've had before. Even during the pour it was more black than ruby red or dark brown like you see from other stouts. Almost no head, but that could be from the angle of my pour. Little lacing as it goes down the glass.

S - I usually have a problem smelling beers, but this is a pronounced coffee zest with even a little chocolate tucked in there. Very fragrant.

T - Not as bitter as other stouts, but definitely not sweet. Leaves a taste of bitterness in your mouth long after, but that's more a testament to the flavors than the bitterness. Bitter chocolate and coffee are the most dominating flavors, although if you look for it, you'll taste some hops, but I hardly noticed. Definite creamy character too. Like you're taking the first sip of some coffee drink and there's a little cream in straw. Helps balance it out more creatively than tons of malt.

M - Not creamy at all. Thicker than a lager, but not chewy or anything like that. Glides over the tongue to a point that it's almost refreshing. Very little carbonation, but definitely there.

D - I could definitely see myself drinking 2 or 3 of these, one for dessert and one or two more just to relive the magic. The low ABV helps this too.

Comments: I usually don't like stouts much, so I was wary when recommended this. Definitely worth a try though, even if you don't fancy bitter. It's extremely balanced, more tasteful than a Guinness, and almost dangerously drinkable.

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

A- dark brown, almost to black, creamy mocha head lacing all the way down.

S- Milk, malts, chocolate, coffee. A nose overload, unfortunately I get booze and it's overwhelming all of these great smells!

T- Creamy chocolatey milky Wow! I get coffee and malts and a slight bitter finish. Just a great one for me.

M- Rich and creamy just awesome

D- Super awesome drinkability. Even in the summer. It's a go to if you're jonesin for a stout.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This is my favorite beer for washing down a bacon cheeseburger and fries. Rich and creamy mouthfeel, flavorful, roasty and sweet, smells just great and looks just so inviting with its fluffy tan head and significant lacing. My favorite style is imperial stouts, but their ABV is often too high to wash down that kind of meal with, at least at my pace. I find this stout nicely fills the niche that exists in the gap between traditional stouts and imperial stouts. While I don't drink one nearly as often as a Guinness for example, I certainly enjoy it more when I do.

3.86/5  rDev -2.3%

A: Pours out a dark blackish brown with a nice light brown head that hangs on as I drink it. A little lacing on the way down.

S: The aroma is malty sweet with roasted coffee notes.

T: Not a punch in the mouth like many stouts, but a clean, refreshing licorice, malty flavor, with subtle coffee-like bitterness in the finish. No lingering aftertaste. Just...pleasant.

M: On the watery side of creamy. Not too chewy.

D: Really goes down easy, and I could keep drinking them if I wanted too. I love the big stouts (KBS especially) and the sweet stouts haven't always done it for me, but I like this one.

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into my Sly Fox pint glass. Appears a nice dark, deep shade of brown with a good two fingers of thick creamy tan head. Smells of roasted coffee, mild grains, and sweet malt. Tastes of roasted malt, milk chocolate, cappuccino. Smooth and velvety with a medium body. I'm glad this is fairly easy to find as I can always count on this beer to satisfy.

3.95/5  rDev 0%

Nice dark color, along with good stout head and lacing. Has an excellent scent, very deep and rich, with wonderful coffee and roasted barley aromas. It has a good flavor, nice and deep, along with a nice sweet aftertaste. Although it’s not the best stout on the market, it’s worth a try, definitely in the holiday pack and even as a six pack by itself.

Samuel Adams Cream Stout from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 88 out of 100 with 2750 ratings