Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ale | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig AleSamuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Winter Warmer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-28-2001

3.8

Ratings: 3,633 |  Reviews: 1,405

3.8/5  rDev 0%

Dark ruby, very clear, small head and no lacing.

Smell is very malty, with dark caramel and peat-like notes reminiscent of a Scotch ale. A bit of alcohol noticeable as well, and some sweetness. Maybe some light spice, but not really.

Slightly sweet malt up front in the flavor, much like the nose. Noticeable cinnamon spice character in the finish. They mix together in a way that kid of reminds me of gingerbread or cake. Tastes stronger than the ABV.

Mouthfeel is medium, but a bit watery for the flavors of this beer.

This is a fine winter beer. A good inclusion in the mix pack, and much better than some winter warmers I've had. I like that the spices don't overwhelm and make this beer taste like a candle. It's one of my favorite winter beers.

3.81/5  rDev +0.3%

I remembered how much I liked this beer last year, so I decided to buy not one but TWO variety packs this time! I tried to drink up a lot of my less favored beers in the pack before I cracked open a bottle of Old Fezziwig to save them for the end. Now is the moment of truth: Will I like this beer as much as my memory tells me I will, or will be I disappointed because I have unrealistic expectations resulting from this beer's scarcity?

I'm simultaneously reviewing the Winter Lager and this beer. This beer is darker and is a dark ruby/brown color. The head is also thin, just like with the winter lager. The aroma is surprisingly mild; I smell cinnamon and alcohol. If I rated this strictly to style, I'd have an even lower score.

With the first few sips, I was underwhelmed with this beer, but I'm starting to enjoy it MUCH more as it warms up. It's still hard pinpointing particular spices. Cinnamon and nutmeg would be my two guesses. <Checks the bottle> OK, it's cinnamon, ginger, and orange that's in this. They are synchronized and pleasant.

The mouthfeel is GREAT. It's thick and smooth. It's my favorite aspect of the beer.

I don't know how the lawsuit between the breweries is going to turn out, but I think I'd give an edge to Anchor's 2011 Christmas ale on taste but the advantage to Old Fezziwig on mouthfeel.

I like this beer a lot, but I don't know if I'll buy two variety packs next year just so I can have four bottles of this. I might buy only one pack, unless they start selling this in six packs. Please, BBC?

3.8/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A poured in a pint glass dark amber when held to the light half inch tan head with nice lace all the way down

S dried fruit spices rosted malts

T fruit cake tosted malt

M a little thin for winter warmer low abv

O not a bad session beer for a cold night

A: Poured into a pint glass. Clear brown color with an off-white head and good lacing.

S: Roasted malt, caramel and chocolate with a little bit of spice.

T: A nice chocolate and caramel flavor mixes with the roasted malt. There is a very faint nutmeg or allspice flavor in there also.

M: A little thin, but it makes it easily drinkable.

O: A nice winter warmer. Good flavors and a very drinkable beer.

3.61/5  rDev -5%

Boston Lager holds a dear place in my heart, as it should all East Coast beer geeks, since it launched the craft beer revolution on this coast. But I've been disappointed through the years with some of their other creations. So I rarely give their more current beers a chance. But I got the Winter variety pack to do just that and I was surprised at some of them (other reviews to follow).

Old Fezziwig is a nice holiday ale. You get a little of the Boston Lager flavor profile as it seems that the same hop cocktail is used to bitter this. The smell is not that balanced though and is a bit sweet, rich in malts with a nice spice presence that's not overdone. These spices through some astringency into the beer, taking the edge off the sweetness, and the addition of the hops swings the balance a little too far for a holiday ale, in my opinion. The spices attack the tongue's tip and the back of the throat gets a gentler handling from the hops.

The hops level and spice flavors are spot on in this one, but like most spiced holiday ales, they haven't found a way to control the medicinal notes given off by the usual suspects.

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

The beer pours a dark amber color with a pretty big off white head that lasts a long time leaving a bit of lacing on the glass. The smell is very spice forward with cinnamon and clove followed with caramel some citrus orange and a bit of hops. The taste follows the nose with a noticable hop presence creating a citrus taste on top of the spices. A thinner mouthfeel then I hoped for but in all this is a good beer.

Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)