Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cranberry LambicSamuel Adams Cranberry Lambic
2.67/5
Poor
Samuel Adams Cranberry LambicSamuel Adams Cranberry Lambic

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Fruit and Field Beer

None provided.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 841 | Ratings: 1,390
Reviews by Georgiabeer:

Pours a murky red gold color with a slightly pink tinted head that fades quickly but leaves some slight lacing. Smells of tart cranberries, but rather muddled. There is an underlying bitterness and some dry maltiness there as well. The taste is like Thanksgiving cranberry sauce. Pretty overwhelmingly cranberry without a lot of depth or nuance. Bitter throughout and lacks sweetness. Very tannic and bitter/sour in the mouth. This beer tastes fresh and like real cranberries, but its just too far out of balance and a bit too harsh.

1.12/5  rDev -58.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Foul
Lying
Bastard
Brew

They are still bottling this???

No resemblance to Lambic in any way whatsoever.

Foul, tired, sweet/tart-fruity thing that is a combo of rotten/partially-oxidized, jammy "fruit" + malt-beverage-ish type horror.

One of the worst beers I have ever tasted, added to the fact that they put the name "Lambic" on the label make this a double disaster brew.

Anyone buying this a second time, please contact me - I was thinking of dumping some adjuvants into a cesspool, & kegging it up, & calling it Oude Bruin Lambic.

Tasted once, & never again other than Dare, or Paying basis.

Cheers! to rinse my mouth out with almost anything else.

1.96/5  rDev -26.6%

I got this beer a few times in the Samuel Adams Winter Mix Packs. This beer each year was by far the worst of the bunch. The cranberry tartness is just way over the top. It's like drinking a sour hard candy. If they lightened up on the cranberry it might not be that bad.

3.18/5  rDev +19.1%

12 oz brown bottle with a "purchase before" date on the label. "Wheat Beer brewed with cranberry juice and other natural flavors added" stated on the label, nothing about spontaneous fermentation or aging it in barrels, blending and aging for more time. It's a fruit beer nothing more and nothing less.

Dull and cloudy rusty reddish hue, holds a ring of white lace strongly. Fruity aroma, little cranberry with a faint tartness. Maltiness is present in the aroma though not too much as the yeast flavors blanket with faint wild herbal phenols.

Semi-smooth and a touch creamy within the medium body. Tartness is there, some cranberry flavor with some fruitiness as well. Malt is there with a mellow sweet graininess. Hops are very mild. Finishes with a lingering tartness, flash of cranberry and vague malt.

Notes: A good fruit beer but not a lambic at all, how they get away with using "Lambic" on the label is beyond me ... its not even close. The new Longshot Cranberry Wit should take the place of this beer IMO.

1.09/5  rDev -59.2%

Presentation: A 12 ounce bottle used as a malicious psychic weapon in a recent trade, with whom I thought was a great friend and confident, my fellow So.Cal BA xlperro. I can only imagine that like Sam Adams, he hates the Brits. And to think we were mates, his Homebrewed Mild kicked Ass as well. Damn.

Described as a Wheat Beer brewed with Cranberry Juice and other “natural” flavors. Duh! Hey presumably someone actually includes a lambic in there somewhere, or are lambics adjuncts???

Appearance: I kept opening and closing the door. But unfortunately it still appeared in my fridge and never disappeared. It had to go. No longer could I stand that smug looking twat with the girlie over the ears hair-do and the raised mug in his left hand. Pours with a copper colored body clear. The head is so ashamed to be associated with this offering that it immediately breaks into a lumpy scum offering.

Nose: Sickly sweet over concentrated pulped Cranberries – like Jam (or is that Jelly?). Condensed and waaayyyy too sweet.

Taste: What’s it like?? A flat old Hoegaarden mixed with Ralph’s economy Cranberry Juice. As my mate bennybrew would say “sweeeettt”.

Mouthfeel: Just like having a mouthful of Cranberry extract, oh, that’s what it is. Never mind.

Drinkability: I finished it, in the name of research and the fact that I needed to be punished today for some ill doings (I left the hole-punched paper in the Photocopier at work). The sink was begging for it though.

Overall: A physical assault on the senses. I would rather have a large current passed through my testicles, my toenails individually plucked whilst at the same time being forced to listen to Vanilla Ice and made to watch re-runs of Survivor - *rather* than drink this “beer” ever again. Simply Awful. I hesitate to even call this a “beer”; it’s more like an anemic Alco-pop.

So if you get a Kia Saturn – and stick an Aston Martin badge on it – does it make it a Sports Car?? Do ya think anyone will notice??

I won’t even dare to start my monosyllabic rambling rant about the use of the word "lambic"……If I could eradicate one beer and it was a choice between any of the Bud-Miller-Coors brand and this – I’m afraid this Sammies would get it, both barrels, at least the macros can say they bring some pleasure to millions of people!!

Like a lame horse – it begs to be put out of its misery.
Shoot this f**ker if you see it.

1.15/5  rDev -56.9%

This is the worst "beer" I've ever had in my life. I first had it when I was a depraved college kid who would play Edward 40 hands wth OE and still could not finish a bottle of this garbage. For years I thought all "lambics" were terrible because this garbage that I got in a Sam Adams sampler pack. I've since grown and learned the virtues of true sour beers and even more so want this to f--- off. It's not a lambic, it's a crap wheat beer with horrid cranberry flavoring and maple syrup that do not go at all and are not even a fraction as good as it sounds, in fact it's awful. The fact that this beer continues to exist would make aliens, if they existed, not want to land here because the world does not make sense and is too scary because this garbage swill continues to be sold to the masses rather than used to torture prisoners at Guantanamo Bay. You prevent the growth of America's youth by selling this garbage as "craft" beer, thereby ensuring a country of Bud drinking drones. If I could punch this beer in the face i would. I poured this down the drain to drink a bottle of Mohawk vodka instead because it was a better alternative. Burn in Hell, you POS "beer".

Color ok, mouthfeel ok, taste a--.

I'm surprised you named your company Sam Adams, not Benedict Arnold because your sewage swill has been a traitor to my mouth.

F U and F your entire family for making this wretch.

2.57/5  rDev -3.7%

Smells great, tastes unappealing. It's like they tried to make a lambic while still following the brewing process of an Ale.

But there is hope! I use this stuff to cook with all the time during the winter and it's GREAT! Try putting it in a slow cooker with some chicken breast, veggies, a can of cream of mushroom soup, and some garlic. AWESOME!

3.25/5  rDev +21.7%

Poured a medium cranberry color with modest white puffy head. Smell is mainly fruity (cranberry). Taste also is dominated by cranberry, and tastes similiar to a cranberry ginger ale. Finishes with more (guess what) cranberry. Very easy to drink. Reminds me more of a winer cooler than a beer.

2.51/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle.

Pours a cloudy reddish brown amber color. Thick white foamy head that lasts. Very nice lacing.

Smells of fruity citrus and cranberry. Hint of hops, but strong fruit smell/

Taste is sweet cranberry. Crisp, with some carbonation. Somewhat dry finish. Aftertaste is sweet.

Mouthfeel is sweet on the lips, some carbonation, and a little watery.

A desert beer. OK with X-mas cookies, but I wouldn't buy this by itself.

3.05/5  rDev +14.2%

a. 12 oz bottle served at 48 degrees in a snifter. A short livid, crackling head forms and backs off to a small ring around the edges. Stunningly redish amber in hue though, points for that.

S. Smells strongly of wheat, with maybe a hint of raspberry toward the end.

t. Bitter fresh raspberry/hop mix on the forefront, accented with a caramel malt and sugary sweetness. The raspberry is played down and at least this much is pleasing to me. A bit of grain in the backround with residual gritt.

m. Pretty smooth and well carbonated. A nice balance with a semi dry, champagne like finish.

D. A nice overall raspberry brew here. Better than most raspberry inspired belgian interpretations from other american craft brewers, but not a true lambic. Good for the right occassion, but not really worthy of a six pack purchase.

3.25/5  rDev +21.7%

3.88/5  rDev +45.3%

Best by April ('06?) on the side of the bottle. Part of the beers of winter pack.

Appearance: Pours a honey golden color with straw edges. A thin bone white cap develops.

Smell: Cooked veggies, some funky yeast, and a bit of tartness. Pretty sketchy but we've come this far...

Taste: Belgian tripel-like yeastiness up front followed by a jaw caving sourness on the back of the palate. A hint of cranberries followed by some honey sweetness. Hints of a grain base appear at the end of the taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light bodied with a tart lingering finish.

Drinkability: Not sure I would make this a regular occurence but this would pair well with turkey for sure. Sam Adams continues to impress me with their holiday line-up. Worth a try for sure.

2.87/5  rDev +7.5%

served into a tulip glass from a 12oz. long neck brown bottle with a crimped-on cap.

An interesting color a golden,coppery with a slight reddish hue. Clear with a creamy white head dissapating to a thick coating of foam lacing the glass,a good looking beer.
A complex aroma yeasty/hints of clove/fruity/notes of cranberry and slight aromas of maple syrup,a sour apple fragrance comes through at the end.
The taste was very sweet/syrupy/clovey/a fruity sourness/very apple-like towards the finish,the cranberry taste was noted throughout the taste.
A very sugary feel on the palate,dry and puckering. A light,champagne like mouthfeel.
Not a beer I would want to drink more than one of. I'd say my least favorite offerings from Samuel Adams

3.46/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A- This beer does look damn good. Hazy purple-grape color with a huge pink, tight-bubbled head and good lacing

S- Smells sorta like a cranberry lambic should with a unique funky yeast smell. Too much malty flavor though

T- This beer tastes odd. It's like a beer that had some lambic ingredients mixed in. The cranberry and lambic yeast flavors don't mix well with the caramel malt. I do like the faint hint of maple syrup though

M- Too watery for a lambic. At least it makes it easier to finish

D- Funky flavor but thin body

2.86/5  rDev +7.1%

First time I ha this beer I found it to be cometely undrinkable. I had a few sips and dumped it out. I was given another bottle as a gift some time later and gave it another try. This time It was much better. The red color was always attractive to me but the idea of cranberry isn't for me. I've never been a fan of them so naturally this brew wouldn't please me. For this who enjoy cranberry do try this, you'll probably enjoy it.

3.5/5  rDev +31.1%

3.52/5  rDev +31.8%

Hazy reddish-brown with only a slight head.

Fruity maple scents fill the nose.

It's got a strange taste. The tart cranberries and softened by the wheat and maple.

The mouthfeel is complex. It starts with a refreshing bitterness and finishes with a sweetness that is a bit too much.

It's a good beer to have occasionally, but a bit too "much" for me; and I'm not sure what the "much" is.

2.71/5  rDev +1.5%

I poured this from a 12 ounce bottle at 47º with a best by month date on the label. There was a little over ½ inch of head which dissipated rather quickly. The beer cast a slight haze with several small bubbles rising to the top. Coloring was a slight orange with a tint of red.

The cranberry could almost be described as an off odor. That was really about all I noticed while trying to detect any malt or hops.

The taste was a little sour as could be expected but not as frightening as I had anticipated.

Did not stay too long in the mouth but the sometimes present second and third aromas seamed to rise up from the throat at times.

Not one of my favorite styles and offerings but would drink on occasion. Would not sit down and consume very many bottles at one time though.

2.88/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance- Pours a very thin white head with light lacing and poor head retention. Beer is a cloudy red amber.

Smell- Fresh cranberry fruit sourness

Taste- Sweet and sour fruitiness a champagne like quality. Very little malt or hop presence.

Mouthfeel- Very crisp and bubbly freshness. Sourness is a bit too much.

Drinkability- A small glass is interesting; but a few sips and I'm done. The champagne like quality is not pulled off on this one. The Belgian lambics are much better.

Overall- Some pleasant aspects, but misses the mark.

2.97/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Cracked this one from a bottle.

The smell was tart, and lingering... sweetness, some malt expressions.

The taste wasn't matching the smell, it didn't have the sweetness I thought it was going to have. Which surprised me for being a Lambic. It almost reminded me of a Geuze.

The Head, ? I drank it out of a bottle so I couldn't really tell, but there foam did come out pretty fast when I hit it slightly on accident. (However this could happen to nay beer I guess)

Overall, this beer was just OK. Not great, tastes decent. I think Sam Adams wanted to make a beer that wasn't overly sweet/tart because Americans aren't really used to the style. I think it's pretty cool that they decided to take it out of the Winter Classics 12pk and make it into a 6pk. I think this would probably go really well with Turkey. hmmm... this did come out right before Thanksgiving... (Chuckles) - sarcasm

2.75/5  rDev +3%

2.32/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

1.61/5  rDev -39.7%

Tried as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" from local grocer. I (obviously) enjoy beer, and I have cranberry running through my blood (family was in cranberry growing business for 30+ years), but this is a case of two great tastes that don't go great together. It's nice to look at, slightly pinkish, and the smell, dominated by the berries, is not too bad, but the taste is way off. Too much of the "fruitiness", not enough of the "beeriness".

This was actually my very first Sam Adams. Pity. Couldn't even finish the bottle. Glad I bought just the one.

2.2/5  rDev -17.6%

My wife loves lambics-this is not a lambic. Poured this into a large wine glass, since I dont have a lambic glass and since this is the way she always gets it in bars. Cloudy light tan with a hint of red in the haze. Weak head that quickly disappeared. Some aroma of cranberries but no where near what I was expecting. Little or no flavor. I guess someone showed a cranberry to the bottle. My wife the lambic lover took 2 sips made a wierd face and handed me the glass. I was very disappointed with this offering from Sam Adams. This was the only complete dud in the sampler

Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 2.67 out of 5 with 1,390 ratings