Samuel Adams Nitro White Ale | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Nitro White AleSamuel Adams Nitro White Ale
3.41/5
Okay
Samuel Adams Nitro White AleSamuel Adams Nitro White Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Belgian Witbier

White capped and lively – the frothy white head of this distinctive nitro brew softly cascades into bright gold. The first sip reveals a smooth velvety taste with a light wheat character and hints of orange while an undercurrent of peppery spice adds a bright finish.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 77 | Ratings: 293
3.04/5  rDev -10.9%

Taste: creamy mouth-feel, semi sweet caramel malt, wheat, herbal notes. Same with the nose. Honey color hue, semi opaque, big white soft foam head, sticky lace. Medium/Lite body. 15 IBUs

3.47/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a nitro can into a pint glass. Pours translucent orange yellow with a creamy nitro head. Smells of sweet grain, not much else. Tastes of creamy sweet grain with slight banana and berries. Beer is light bodied, nitro creamy, easy drinking. Overall, an above average beer.

look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Look: 3.25
A pale and hazy straw color. 1-finger head. Flattens out very quickly.
Smell: 2.5
Nearly nothing to smell here. A very slight biscuit. A tiny hint of spice.
Taste: 3.25
There’s a strange off flavor at first that turns into a hint of citrus and coriander. Flavors that swirl around shortly thereafter are light malt, wheat, orange, yeast, and bread. These are very subdued and hard to pick out I need to mention.
Feel: 3.0
Very thin. Not much carbonation so it is pretty flat from the beginning.
Overall: 3.0
Only get one of these as a single if you want to try it. I can’t imagine getting a 4 pack or more of these. It is a bit creamy. There is a funk that I just couldn’t get past. Closest thing I can compare it to is Cream of Mushroom Soup!!! Sounds crazy, but there are hints of mushroom here.

Bought a single can from Don Quiojte $2.89
Hazy orange-golden color
Low carbonation after pour settles
Smell of sweet lemon
Taste sweet of lemon and bananas, reminds me more of a juice than a beer
Overall an interesting experiment, but I would not buy again. Nitro doesn't work for this type of beer.

3.18/5  rDev -6.7%

This one pours a cloudy dirty blonde color that is fll of tiny bubbles from the nitrogen. THe head is off white, shallow and thick as shaving cream, leaving more of curtains than lacing down the glass. thought he head is shallow due to the nitrogen.

The nose is faint and hard to detect with notes of bread, fructose, grass and some hops.

The flavor is creamy pale ale with no noticeable bitters and barely detectable hops. While they call this a white ale I would classify it as a cream ale. This is more like an Americanized Boddington's.

The mouth-feel is an ideal cream ale style. but this is not labeled as such. With the nitrogen I would expect this.

I am not rating a cream ale here, I am rating a white ale which should be more like a pale ale with some wheat beer notes. They have achieved a cream ale. Therefore I rate them lower than the beers actual drink-ability. THe beer is a decent beer overall but not one of my favorites. I will pass on it in the future.

3.38/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours with a lovely, creamy cascading effect into a golden brew with a two finger fluffy, smooth nitro head that persists. Aroma is banana, clove, bubblegum, and spicy yeast esters. Taste follows, albeit more muted, with banana, light bubblegum, and light pepper spice with a wheat flavor that rounds out the finish. Mouthfeel, as expected with a nitro beer, is creamy, smooth, light, and fluffy. Like drinking a witbier pillow. Overall, I think the nitro experiment works with this brew, although it mutes those witbier flavors that normally stand out in the style. This is super easy drinking as well, goes down quick!

2.66/5  rDev -22%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

A grainy, slight sweet beer, with a spiced heavy cream finish.

Taste Rating in Words: You're swimming in a muddy pond in the heat of summer, it's all great as long as you can keep it out of your mouth.

Note: The colder the better.

3.03/5  rDev -11.1%

Can dated Sep 2016 at 42 degrees into a hand washed and dried JK snifter
Aroma – I’m horning this really hard and the best I can find is some faint orange
Head large (Maximum six cm, aggressive pour), off white, creamy as only nitrogen can make it, diminishing to
Lacing - none
Body – medium orange, opaque, white lumps floating past
Flavor – slightly bitter, some faint citrus and some faint yeast esters; no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate – medium, creamy, soft carbonation

Meh. Another average beer from Boston Brewing. Why you would want to nitro a witbier in the first lace is beyond me.

Appearance 3.5, Aroma 3, Flavor 3, Palate 3, Overall 3

3.38/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

On nitro tap. Got this for the tick, expectations low. Look is pretty with the nitro making an opaque orange cream at first. Smell is an inviting orange and banana. Taste is similar, plus plenty of bread and slight cinnamon type spices. Feel is creamy and thick, but that nitro means low carb from a traditional feel sense. It comes across as flat. Overall one and done. Flat orange creamsicle is my summary

4.16/5  rDev +22%

Artwork: This artwork is designed to make sure customers are aware of the Nitro nature of this product. It imitates a clear vessel through which you can see the nitrogenated foam and cloudy liquid of this beer. Certainly intriguing but not the most aesthetically pleasant.

Appearance: As expected the head is mousse-like and thick. The beer pours extremely cloudy and almost milk-white before it separates into a head and body. It's kinda weird to see a white beer on nitro.

Nose: Smells sweet. Fair amount of banana, clove and bubblegum.

Taste: Tastes very similar to how it smells. Very little bitterness.

Mouthfeel: There were moments I thought I was drinking white chocolate milk. Fairly thick and the nitro carbonation is pretty enjoyable on the tongue.

Overall: The reason for trying this beer was pure curiosity. I've had dark beers on nitro before but not a white ale. I wasn't too sure what to expect but I have to admit that I liked it. The beer itself was perhaps a tad too sweet but the nitro/white combo is definitely one I wouldn't mind seeing more of.

3.41/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Tall boy

Appearance: The bubbles going down the side of the glass show you pay the extra for. Settles down to a very hazy golden yellow glass with a firm finger of white head that laces well.

Aroma: Coriander, slight citric note, but not much going one, pretty mild.

Taste: Spices, hard to call which ones, grains of paradise? They overwhelm any beer flavors that might be going on, but there's no real bitter, just some sweet notes.

Mouthfeel: Light body, airy, clean finish, bubbly.

Overall: The mouthfeel is nice, the flavor is fairly bland which is odd for it being so heavily spiced. Worth a try but don't think I'll revisit.

3.03/5  rDev -11.1%

Summer 16 - pours copper cloudy, heavy white creamy foam. The nitro is visually evident. Wheaty, yeast nose. Smooth, creamy taste. Nondescript and largely unflavorful. The foam trumps all. Ho hum. A miss.

3.76/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Boston Beer Co. "Samuel Adams Nitro White Ale"
15 fl. oz. can, no freshness dating
$2.99 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

I'll assume that this is the standard Samuel Adams White Ale but done with a nitrogen presentation. If it's not I apologize, but my memory of the beer tells me it is. If it's not, it's pretty close. So the question is, does the nitrogen pour enhance the beer in anyway? Hmmmmm.... hard to tell. I feel that it softens it and takes away from some of the spiciness and citrus notes; but on the other hand the appearance and mouthfeel are boosted a touch. It certainly looks better in the glass the whole way through, and the smoothness across the palate is nice... but I feel I'm lacking a little "bite" as well. I can't really judge it stylistically because the nitrogen has thrown that out the window, so I'll just have to rate it hedonistically and see how it fares. I will say, however, that it's certainly worth trying just to see. If you're familiar with the regular version, or just like the style give it a try.

1.74/5  rDev -49%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

very cloudy smells and taste of bitter pine, grass maybe a little grapefruit. My daughter brought this over to try. not something I would have got myself if you like ipas you would like this.

3.86/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is a solid beer. I like that the cans are 15oz; it's nice getting that much out of 1 individual can.

Look: BEAUTIFUL. This is the first nitro beer I've bought canned/bottled and poured myself (I love nitros on tap though), and it was a really cool process watching the nitrogen rise to the top. Leaves behind a really small head though, I wish there were more.

Smell: Really good smell! It reminds me of a really nice Belgian tripel with that yeast and sugary smell.

Taste: Eh... there's something about the taste in the head that I'm not too fond of, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I also think it's a little too heavy on the spice-side for me, but that may be personal preference. Tons of that candy sugar though!

Feel: Great! I love nitro beers and this has such a sturdy body, I'm really a fan.

All in all: it's solid and very, very easy to drink. The taste is probably the weakest point; I've had the beers for a week lying around excited to have and it may have been victim to my high expectations. With how refreshing it is and that citrusy-wheat taste, it's a very nice summer beer, in my opinion.

4.52/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours yellow, hazy with a very nice nitro foam. Aroma is mild but according to style. Taste and drinking experience is different and good, very nice thing to try.

3.75/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pint-sized nitro can:

Pours hazed/clouded golden. A creamy thin white head leaves lacing.

The smell is of yeast/dough. Orange and coriander come through.

The taste is of yeast/sweet bread, lemon, orange peel and light coriander. An herbal tea like finish gives a bit of spicy, dry-ish finish.

Creamy. Very smooth. Very easy to drink.

The nitro feature puts an interesting, refreshing spin on the style.

3.21/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

No it is no la fin de mode but it is a great summer beer with a great mouth feel. It's quite quaffable in those summer months for real beer drinkers....plus for some reason the sum of the parts is equal to ....m

3.29/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Tis the time of year for me anyways to drink the lighter beers I normally wouldn't,but that damn heat and "big" beers can be a bad combo.Pours into an imperial nonic a nitro creamy clouded orange color with that nitro dispensed creamy white head atop.Not getting much in the nose except for a bit of toasted wheat malt and a hint of white pepper spice.The flavors are pretty light as well with that grain and pepper element to go along with some coriander in the finish,slightly metallic as well.About what I expected to be honest,not bad after some lawn work in 95 degree heat....

3.36/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I'm having this on nitro tap, so it should be better than the cans. Looks great, like all nitro beers. And the aroma isn't that dinky compared to a can with widget hobnobbery, either. Having said that, the focus here is on candied sugar and orange peel, rather than the spices. Aye...it does taste a touch watery, but I do pick up the basics of a decent wit (smooth wheat, orange peel, and coriander) nicely. The finish doesn't seem perfectly balanced, however. It's still easy to drink and dry, and because the carbonation is very low, it doesn't create a bloating sensation. On draft, this kind of works. Not amazingly, but I have no regrets getting this (and I'd even do so again in this format).

3.36/5: Surpringly not a watery pile of nothing on tap

This is my third Sam Adams' nitro brew. Although a nitro-skeptic, I've thought all three of these beers have been enjoyable, worthwhile, and engaging. This one has the usual nitro head, with a milky complexion. The aroma is of coriander, pepper, and fruit. Some yeast underneath. The taste is fruity and sweet, with spice for balance. Fairly full in body and very drinkable. I like it.

3.06/5  rDev -10.3%

16oz can served into a perfect pint glass at the airport.

Pours a creamy looking medium cloudy orange body, creamy nitro head, good retention, not much lacing. Smells of mostly spices, touch of wheat. Not a whole lot going on there. Flavour is similarly flavourless, touch of wheat, some wit spices, a bit of non-descript hoppy bitterness, which is minimal. Mouthfeel is nitro-fueled, creamy and drinks easily. But the flavour and depth aren't there, even accounting for the nitrogen. Nothing special, its drinkable but that's about it. Not much flavour to find here which should be fine for most.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

I admit - I don't have many Sam Adams beers anymore. The Boston Lager is still one of my staples but in recent years, newer breweries and their offerings have overtaken what I used to drink and most anything from Boston Beer falls into the latter category. The Cloverleaf Tavern had this on tap as part of their spring PhD list so I was eager to give it a go, and while this wasn't anything terrible, it came across as so one-dimensional that I'd be unlikely to reach for it again anytime soon.

While the pour to this was pleasing to the eye, it became less impressive as I worked my way through this. There was enough of a golden hue and cloudiness to it to remind me of the old Sam Adams White Ale that I loved so much back in the day, but the nitro aspect of this totally overpowered everything. The head, body, and taste of this was full and thick of foam as the wheat, clove, and coriander all seemed to take a back seat to it. Creamy to the point of being a cliche, I just couldn't get into this and see it for what it wanted to be. I understand that Sam Adams has taken a backseat to newer offerings in recent years but something like this came across as nothing more than a gimmick, and not a way to win across beer snobs like me.

Tons of lacing, pale malt, and wheat were able to hide the faint alcohol that was in this and if I wanted another, it would have been easy to order it and still go home in one piece. Overly carbonated and smooth, this came across more as a novelty than an actual beer. This came across as liquid dough and if you're looking for something so light as to be unnoticeable, than you've found your brew. Fun to try once but hard to take seriously.

3.01/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured into a snifter.

3.0 A: Murky brown-tinted orange color. One finger of beige, typical creamy nitro head. Retention is about average for nitro and a short ring of lacing is left.

3.25 S: Coriander with light peppery spiciness. Sweet lemony fruitiness. Neutral barley and wheat. Stronger than I was expecting due to the nitro effect, but still on the weaker side.

3.0 T: Like the nose, the taste is somewhat subdued. Notes of coriander and neutral malts. Mild lemon fruits and hay.

3.0 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Typical nitro creaminess without heaviness. This style doesn't benefit from the nitro treatment. It takes an easy drinking, refreshing style and makes it less so.

2.75 D: It's not too bad, but it's not something I'd ever want again.

3.62/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from chilled 16 oz can into a chilled glass mug. The "nitro" is apparent from the moment you pop open the can, a loud swushing sound makes you think this thing is going to blow foam all over your face but instead is just releasing the nitro gas causing a little foam to escape out of the mouth of the can. After pouring into glass it has a nice unfiltered amber/orange colour and some interesting foaming. The unsettled foam from under the surface starts swirling around as it slowing floats to the surface to join the nice white foaming. Plenty of nice lacing. Smells of biscuity wheat and citrus, mainly oranges. Taste much like the aroma with a definite spice undertaste. This is a very interesting nitro/wheat beer combination that goes down easy and is certainly worth a try. Prost!

Samuel Adams Nitro White Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)