Samuel Adams Nitro White Ale | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Nitro White AleSamuel Adams Nitro White Ale
3.41/5
Okay
Samuel Adams Nitro White AleSamuel Adams Nitro White Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Belgian Witbier

White capped and lively – the frothy white head of this distinctive nitro brew softly cascades into bright gold. The first sip reveals a smooth velvety taste with a light wheat character and hints of orange while an undercurrent of peppery spice adds a bright finish.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 77 | Ratings: 293

my son left one of these in my cooler so I helped myself to it . absolutely flat wretched taste. I thought I raised my son better. thank god he drank the other three . to sam adams - really bad.

1.23/5  rDev -63.9%

The short of the matter - Don't waste your money on this beer. I wish I could return the other 3 remaining cans. The long of the matter - Pours a bright yellow golden color with a cascading creamy off-white head. The real look is almost identical to the graphics on the can. There is very little aroma on the nose. Spice is almost unnoticeable and is overpowered by the small amount of wheat. Very little on the palate. If it were not for the ever so slight bitterness there would be no flavor. This beer BLAND, BLAND, BLAND. The finish is, well, like water in taste. Think flavorless whole milk. Very Disappointing.

1.74/5  rDev -49%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

very cloudy smells and taste of bitter pine, grass maybe a little grapefruit. My daughter brought this over to try. not something I would have got myself if you like ipas you would like this.

1.9/5  rDev -44.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

L - Pale orange, cloudy body, two fingers of creamy head

S - Faint orange peel and wet grain

T - Wet hay and straw, barely any citrus, dry wheat, small amount of black pepper on the finish

F - Creamy, but still thin.

O - Its basically a nitro Sam Summer, and we did not need that. Tastes more like a generic macro lager with a nitro widget in the can. Nitro was too gimmicky here and did not enhance the experience. The base beer tasted bland at best, but it still had its moments of being undrinkable (especially as it warmed up).

2.02/5  rDev -40.8%

in the world of easy to get nitro beers go with guiness this is a piece of shit compared. it tastes like a blue moon that went bad. Taking into consideration the cost of the beer I'd give it a negative review. I'd rather buy a 6 pack of budweiser than this and I hate budweiser unless I'm already drunk. stay clear of this one, it is a cheap imitation!

2.03/5  rDev -40.5%

Bought 3/4/2016 enjoy by date on the can was 6/2016.
Open the can and it sounds and pours like a Guinness Draft or Guinness Nitro IPA, fun to watch settle.

L: Nice rich light orange color, nice carbonation action with the Widget and nitro gimmick, excellent head. Takes a few minutes to settle to be able to taste.
S: Spices, hint of banana, does not carry into the taste.
T: Bland. I think the nitro action affects the flavor. You can taste the spices, but not the typical wheat ale flavor you might expect. (NOTE: Tried again 3/8, added orange slice, it livened it up a bit, tasted like a foamy Blue Moon)
F: Creamy and heavy, like a Guinness Draft or Guinness Nitro IPA. The "creamy," smooth, feel is awkward, and not pleasant with this Wheat Ale style beer.
O: All I can say is, this was an unpleasant experience and, possibly first time ever, I poured it down the drain. Even as a BOGO at a local market, IMO it is not worth the $11 for a 4 pack, even when buy one get one free. This is not the typical quality or distinct flavors other of Sam Adams products.

2.12/5  rDev -37.8%

Pours a cloudy bright yellow golden color with layering creamy off-white head. That is where the goodness ends. Almost nothing on the nose, little spice and wheat that's it; same for the palate, just bland. Not what I was expecting. Finishes without much of anything either. Disappointing to say the least.

2.15/5  rDev -37%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

This beer just isn't good at all. I should've known better than to try a Sam Adams beer with high hopes. Ah well... I generally like nitros, so I was hoping this would at least be decent. Anyway, enough ranting. Here goes:

Look: very hazy yellow; half the damn glass is head, and it didn't go away at all after sitting for 10 minutes
Smell: nothing. I can't smell anything.
Taste: see smell. this may be the blandest beer I've ever had... maybe a hint of wheat? Bud Light is more flavorful than this.
Feel: WAY too carbonated. difficult to drink. not smooth at all, which doesn't make sense for a nitro beer.

Overall: I wish I had only ordered a pint. If I was at home instead of paying $8 at BWW for this, it would've gone right down the kitchen sink.

2.5/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured very cloudy with a fairly well sustained head and lively bubbles. I didn't detect much of any real nose. The mouthfeel was quite pleasant. The taste to me was rather lackluster with no real body or complexity. I've always been a fan Sam Adams beers but they missed the mark here. My recommendation is to pass on this one.

2.59/5  rDev -24%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy light golden color with a beautiful, creamy pure-white head. No matter the quality or brand, I will always love the look of a nitro beer.

The aroma had a ton of lemon and some floral notes. Very light and not very interesting.

The taste had more lemon and flowers, but it was so light I couldn't really detect a whole lot. Some wheat on the back end added some balance, but overall the flavor was just bland and mediocre. Nothing stood out here.

The feel was light bodied and a bit watery. Somewhat refreshing.

Overall, just a mediocre beer. The flavors and aromas are far too restrained and the mouthfeel was far too light for my liking.

2.66/5  rDev -22%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

A grainy, slight sweet beer, with a spiced heavy cream finish.

Taste Rating in Words: You're swimming in a muddy pond in the heat of summer, it's all great as long as you can keep it out of your mouth.

Note: The colder the better.

2.71/5  rDev -20.5%

I can't believe anybody at the Boston Beer Company even tasted this before releasing it for sale. Most of their beers are at least OK and a lot of them are very good. This beer however is not worth drinking. Looks great and the mouth feel is exceptional but the taste is terrible.

2.8/5  rDev -17.9%

Served On-Tap

A — Pours a pure white ball of foam into the glass, it does cascade and settle into a pure clear yellow body of beer with no visible rising bubbles but a pure white head of foam sits on top and leaves behind some okay rings of lacing.

S — Smell is incredibly muted and mellow, not much going on, maybe some light graininess and cereal malts, but not much else.

T — Much like the nose, this is very muted, with just some light grainy notes and a bit of a yeasty tang, really mellow, smooth, and unassuming.

M — Light in body, very smooth on nitro, very monochromatic and borderline watery.

O — OK overall, probably the worst in the new Nitro Can series though.

2.87/5  rDev -15.8%

To paraphrase Black Flag on "Six Pack" - I got some Nitro CANs & nothin' to do/I got some Nitro CANs & I don't need you! Heck, I "won" some Samuel Adams glasses a few weeks ago for taking fourth place at weekly bar trivia. My team was kind of dejected, but 4th on Tuesday nights = glassware! Imagine my surprise & elation when they presented us with SA glasses! Usually, it is shaker pints, but this was a rarity.

From the N2 CAN: "Pop and Pour"; "Enjoy from a Glass"; "Chill before pouring. Nitro doesn't like to be contained. It creates pressure that may cause unchilled CANs to overflow."; "Chill > Pour > Enjoy"; "A Nitro Widget inside this CAN gives our Coffee Stout its incredibly smooth, creamy taste. You'll notice a swirling cascade of energy as the beer settles into your glass. The widget does the work for you, so Chill, Pour, & Enjoy!"

The Crack! not only released a Phssshh! noise, but it also revealed another seemingly short-filled CAN. They must leave a good bit of head space for the N2 gas when filling these guys. I have a question to put in my back pocket for later CANQuest (tm) knowledge! In fact, there was even some foaming going on inside the CAN that briefly filled this space until I CANmenced the Glug. The cascade was pretty, if you are into that sort of thing. Once it stopped, it settled into two fingers of dense, creamy, eggshell-white colored head with excellent retention. Color was a hazy Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7). Nose was odd, like bubble gum & black pepper, but muted. I am glad that they identified it as a White Ale/Witbier for me because I would have been hard-pressed to intuit it from the nose. Mouthfeel was big, thick & creamy, all thanks to the infusion of N2. Just like with the nose, the taste seemed muted. I was drinking a Wit last night & one of the off-duty servers had the same thing & we were talking about its taste. In that case, the bubble gum & black pepper esters were sharp & defined where here, they were softened & rounded off. It made for a very blah, bland drink overall. Finish was dry, but close to tasteless. I just do not see the value added here.

2.98/5  rDev -12.6%

Super disappointed. The beer looks unpleasant, but is made up for with the pillowy head. I want a literal pillow made of this. Smell is pretty nice. Orangey and beer-like.

The mouthfeel is what gets me. It's flat - a white doesn't seem to stand up well to being put on nitro. Taste is fine, inoffensive, and mild. If it had even a spritz of carb then I'd enjoy this.

2.98/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

The pour itself is worth buying it. Very, very carbonated. Pours a very hazy golden color with a thick creamy head that you have to chew through to get to the brew. Initial taste is creamy, very lightly hoppy with little to no aftertaste. Lacing is outstanding as well. My only disappointment is the flavor, seems kind of bland, doesn't quite have the sweetness of the belgiums I remember, but still a very smooth drinkable beer

look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Look: 3.25
A pale and hazy straw color. 1-finger head. Flattens out very quickly.
Smell: 2.5
Nearly nothing to smell here. A very slight biscuit. A tiny hint of spice.
Taste: 3.25
There’s a strange off flavor at first that turns into a hint of citrus and coriander. Flavors that swirl around shortly thereafter are light malt, wheat, orange, yeast, and bread. These are very subdued and hard to pick out I need to mention.
Feel: 3.0
Very thin. Not much carbonation so it is pretty flat from the beginning.
Overall: 3.0
Only get one of these as a single if you want to try it. I can’t imagine getting a 4 pack or more of these. It is a bit creamy. There is a funk that I just couldn’t get past. Closest thing I can compare it to is Cream of Mushroom Soup!!! Sounds crazy, but there are hints of mushroom here.

Bought a single can from Don Quiojte $2.89
Hazy orange-golden color
Low carbonation after pour settles
Smell of sweet lemon
Taste sweet of lemon and bananas, reminds me more of a juice than a beer
Overall an interesting experiment, but I would not buy again. Nitro doesn't work for this type of beer.

3.01/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured into a snifter.

3.0 A: Murky brown-tinted orange color. One finger of beige, typical creamy nitro head. Retention is about average for nitro and a short ring of lacing is left.

3.25 S: Coriander with light peppery spiciness. Sweet lemony fruitiness. Neutral barley and wheat. Stronger than I was expecting due to the nitro effect, but still on the weaker side.

3.0 T: Like the nose, the taste is somewhat subdued. Notes of coriander and neutral malts. Mild lemon fruits and hay.

3.0 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Typical nitro creaminess without heaviness. This style doesn't benefit from the nitro treatment. It takes an easy drinking, refreshing style and makes it less so.

2.75 D: It's not too bad, but it's not something I'd ever want again.

3.03/5  rDev -11.1%

Can dated Sep 2016 at 42 degrees into a hand washed and dried JK snifter
Aroma – I’m horning this really hard and the best I can find is some faint orange
Head large (Maximum six cm, aggressive pour), off white, creamy as only nitrogen can make it, diminishing to
Lacing - none
Body – medium orange, opaque, white lumps floating past
Flavor – slightly bitter, some faint citrus and some faint yeast esters; no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate – medium, creamy, soft carbonation

Meh. Another average beer from Boston Brewing. Why you would want to nitro a witbier in the first lace is beyond me.

Appearance 3.5, Aroma 3, Flavor 3, Palate 3, Overall 3

3.03/5  rDev -11.1%

Summer 16 - pours copper cloudy, heavy white creamy foam. The nitro is visually evident. Wheaty, yeast nose. Smooth, creamy taste. Nondescript and largely unflavorful. The foam trumps all. Ho hum. A miss.

3.04/5  rDev -10.9%

Taste: creamy mouth-feel, semi sweet caramel malt, wheat, herbal notes. Same with the nose. Honey color hue, semi opaque, big white soft foam head, sticky lace. Medium/Lite body. 15 IBUs

3.06/5  rDev -10.3%

16oz can served into a perfect pint glass at the airport.

Pours a creamy looking medium cloudy orange body, creamy nitro head, good retention, not much lacing. Smells of mostly spices, touch of wheat. Not a whole lot going on there. Flavour is similarly flavourless, touch of wheat, some wit spices, a bit of non-descript hoppy bitterness, which is minimal. Mouthfeel is nitro-fueled, creamy and drinks easily. But the flavour and depth aren't there, even accounting for the nitrogen. Nothing special, its drinkable but that's about it. Not much flavour to find here which should be fine for most.

3.07/5  rDev -10%

It's a very attractive beer with a strange cascading head forming over a milky golden yellow beer. Looks like a wit topped with an IPA-like frothy head. Very foamy head with long legs. A swirl completely coats the glass.

The scent is not aggressive enough as I can barely pick up any notes of anything. There's a clovey, coriander-like scent. It even after warming a bit, there's little to work the nose.

Like the nose, little stands out. Maybe a bit of honey, some Pilsner malt, a touch of spice, and that's all she wrote.

Exceptionally smooth and creamy...a bit too much so. It gives it a water feel. Very lager like, it lacks the sharpness of an ale.

As usual, a swing and a miss from Sam Adams.

3.18/5  rDev -6.7%

This one pours a cloudy dirty blonde color that is fll of tiny bubbles from the nitrogen. THe head is off white, shallow and thick as shaving cream, leaving more of curtains than lacing down the glass. thought he head is shallow due to the nitrogen.

The nose is faint and hard to detect with notes of bread, fructose, grass and some hops.

The flavor is creamy pale ale with no noticeable bitters and barely detectable hops. While they call this a white ale I would classify it as a cream ale. This is more like an Americanized Boddington's.

The mouth-feel is an ideal cream ale style. but this is not labeled as such. With the nitrogen I would expect this.

I am not rating a cream ale here, I am rating a white ale which should be more like a pale ale with some wheat beer notes. They have achieved a cream ale. Therefore I rate them lower than the beers actual drink-ability. THe beer is a decent beer overall but not one of my favorites. I will pass on it in the future.

Samuel Adams Nitro White Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)