Samuel Adams Black Lager
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Black LagerSamuel Adams Black Lager
Rate It
Beer Geek Stats | Print Shelf Talker
From:
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Massachusetts, United States
Jun 09, 2022
Added:
Dec 27, 2004
SCORE
Good
Samuel Adams Black LagerSamuel Adams Black Lager
Notes: Literally translated as “black beer,” schwarzbiers are one of the oldest and most traditional German beer styles. Dating back to around 800 BC, this dark, roasty beer combines caramel and chocolate malt notes with a bright flavor and crisp finish.
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

Rated: 3.71 by DarrellK from Florida

Rated: 4 by Maltyhead from Massachusetts

Jun 23, 2020
Reviewed by kryansutton

4.79/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75
As a larger man, I had to get my big bear paws on this baby. My wife and I rented a cabin in the winter, in the mountains, I bought a 6 pack of Black lager and a few others, as our day progressed from snowboarding we came back to the cabin and started to unclothe for the hot tub. It was time to rest the tired muscles for the day. I was about to get in when I remember it was Sammy's time. I staggered to the fridge, grabbed 3 (black lager) beers, Stumbled my way back to the fireplace, and took that baby up to a roar. Placed the bottles on the outside of the Hot tube, I gradually got my Overextended exhausted body into the tub. Bubble roaring and Heat protruding out, I reached for a cold one, Grabbed my lighter and popped the top. That aroma that came Jumping from the bottle was astonishing. quickly awakening me from my grueling day, I brought the bottle to my lips. Taking in the tranquility of the bouquet hints of Premium hops and barley protruded out. Ever-present aromas of a Sunny Barley field, at the prime of the season, jumped at me. I pressed that bottle to my lips and took a huge swig. "I'll be dammed," I said. Wife looking at me, " What?" I said in not so many words that this was truly one of the best beers I ever had, like a lager. It looked so nice, felt so thick in my mouth, no bitter aftertaste just bliss. I polished off the 3 in the hot tube and drank the other 3 in front of the fire. perfect ending to a perfect day, Top 10 For beers in my opinion.
Mar 08, 2020

Rated: 3.62 by Mickt465 from New Hampshire

Aug 24, 2019
Reviewed by Treese1954 from Pennsylvania

4.85/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75
A very good beer. Need to know where I can get it in north eastern pa, Pocono mountain area. Or do I need to go to Boston for it. And that is how much I liked it. I’ll make the trip.
Mar 26, 2019

Rated: 3.35 by dafla67 from Pennsylvania

Mar 05, 2019
Reviewed by EMH73 from New York

3.21/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25
I hate to say this but basically that took a bland lager Some roasted malts, nuttiness, coffee and a hint of chocolate in the aroma and taste), added color to it and are calling it a black lager. Nothing that I would ever try again.
Dec 05, 2018

Rated: 3.75 by digitalflood from New York

Dec 03, 2018

Rated: 3.75 by chrishiker1409 from New York

Nov 23, 2018
Reviewed by Drak-Nib from Nebraska

Dark and in the vicinity of nuttihood. If you like the darker beer you could certainly do worse. ca. 2008

So here I am with another Black Lager, and I don’t even know how long it’s been since I wrote my initial review. Could it have been 2008? Maybe. The darkness continues, but I don’t really taste the nuttiness. The hints of cocoa are pretty subtle hints. Actually, I can’t say I really taste the darkness. It’s kind of a light dark beer. But hey, it’s easy to drink, and I don’t feel that sense of regret, even at the end. Cool. 2017/09/14

I think you're talking a load of s---. It's pretty darn good after a tall boy of Michelob Ultra. 2018/08/22
Nov 20, 2018
Rated by Thegaminggiant from Massachusetts

3.55/5  rDev -4.1%
It’s damn good for gas station beer
Nov 12, 2018

Rated: 4.02 by mjw2808 from Maryland

Nov 10, 2018

Rated: 3.76 by rorjets from Connecticut

Nov 09, 2018
Rated by Gatch from Massachusetts

3.72/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
Meh, only good bc it’s free. Would never pay for this.
Nov 07, 2018
Reviewed by dacrza1 from New Jersey

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
DATE: November 4, 2018... OCCASION: AFV with the fam after a solid weekend... GLASSWARE: Sam Adams lager... pours a nearly opaque, velvety black body, supporting a thick two-fingered off-white foam whose resiliency is not to be believed... its aroma is an intriguing mix of chocolate, lactose and caramel, with hints of licorice, light pepper, and roasted malts... its mouthfeel is light, smooth, and almost apologetic--retaining its lagerish qualities, it offers a creamy, albeit thin, experience... it has some bubble to it as well...its flavor profile doesn't quite fulfill its aromatic promise, but again, to be fair to a lager, how much could it while retaining its drinkability? not overthinking this too much--as many upcoming holiday parties will offer it--I find this a schwarzbier that doesn't bring a distinguishing feature, which ensures it pairs agreeably with any number of finger foods...
Nov 05, 2018

Rated: 3.84 by NeoClassicist from New York

Nov 04, 2018

Rated: 3.38 by ALLMUCH from Pennsylvania

Nov 02, 2018

Rated: 3.75 by petewheeler from Maryland

Nov 01, 2018
Reviewed by JimboBrews54 from Michigan

Nice and balanced. This one is not too chalky like some of its other competitors, this is a cozy beer that has a very nice warm tone to it. Not bitter or chalky at all. Like a light version of a porter or a stout. Once again feeling the Scwarz!
Oct 29, 2018
Reviewed by Parmesan from Colorado

3.52/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
L:. Pours a dark black brown with a small white head and some nice lacing on the glass.

S:. Dark roasted malt, some coffee and chocolate a bit of cherry.

T:. Dark roasted malt, note of coffee and chocolate, a slight bit of stone fruit.

F: Light to medium body, with some smooth carbonation.

O:. Pretty standard black Lager.
Oct 28, 2018
Reviewed by HoppingMadMonk from New Jersey

3.66/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
Medium light body with about medium carbonation.
Aroma is roasted coffee beans,roasted malt and black coffee. Not overly complex but a pleasant aroma .
Taste was mostly as what the aroma hinted at with a coffee bitterness that showed up in the middle and lingered.
Perhaps it wasn't world class but worthy of a try. I may not go out of my way for this but would still enjoy it if someone offered it to me
Oct 21, 2018

Rated: 4.25 by crob3888 from California

Oct 21, 2018
Reviewed by chinchill from South Carolina

3.27/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25
12 oz bottle in Florida. BB date notched March 2019.
Pours clear with a near black body with brown edges and a decent tan head.
This Schwarzbier is true to style but unexceptional. Mild, but with dark roasted grain flavor that builds in the aftertaste.
Feel: smooth medium body with medium carbonation
Oct 18, 2018

Rated: 3.5 by Cpt_splding from Minnesota

Oct 14, 2018
Reviewed by IronLover from Pennsylvania

3.79/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
Black in color. Poured with a moderate, dark beige, creamy foam with medium low retention. Lightly sweet, clean dark malt aroma. Medium bodied with medium carbonation and a delicate creamy smooth feel through the middle. Dark malty flavors with dark chocolate notes. Medium light hop bitterness through the middle followed fading dark malt notes to the end. Finished cleanly with hints of dark malt. Clean and malty, with hop character providing a nice balance.
Oct 13, 2018

Rated: 3.84 by Low_Hanging_Hops from Kentucky

Oct 10, 2018
Rated by nick_perry from North Carolina

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5
Chocolate aroma. Very dry malt with notes of chocolate, rye, and leather. Smooth mouthfeel. Lingering finish.

Rated: 3.75 by a77cj7 from South Dakota

Reviewed by jjamadorphd from Florida

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
Sam Adams does the black lager style good...

Well, it's definitely black but light on head and practically non-existent when it comes to lacing. The smell was mostly malty which matched the taste with a mouthfeel that is lightly carbonated, not watery but still light. It's one of those beers that doesn't stand out, won't ever be memorable, but it is certainly good and worth anyone's time.

Rated: 3.25 by jeschaefer from Texas

Rated: 3.75 by Cdriver0414 from Kentucky

Oct 02, 2018

Rated: 4.49 by draegerjosh from California

Oct 01, 2018
Samuel Adams Black Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 84 out of 100 with 2721 ratings