Samuel Adams Black Lager | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams Black LagerSamuel Adams Black Lager

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Schwarzbier

Added by TheJudge on 12-27-2004

Ratings: 2,556 |  Reviews: 1,435

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

I first encountered this beer when I was up in NJ a few weeks ago. Not having tried it before and with little else of interest in the particular beer store I found myself in, I bought a 6 pack.

I was reasonably impressed by this darkish ruby colored, caramel prominent brew. More so than I imagined I might be.

Since my initial encounter, I have acquired another 4 bottles in the Sam Adams Winter Pack that my wife bought for me recently.

Strangely, every time I go to drink this beer I expect to experience the same slight disappointment I get with Saranac beers (they sound and look great, but just don't really hit the spot) however, Sam Adams is not Saranac and I should know by now that they consistently deliver the goods on a regular basis.

4.75/5  rDev +27%

2.54/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass, about an inch of thick creamy foam. Super dark chocolate taste, with a thick syrupy feel to it. I can't really describe the smell but I didn't care for it. A very heavy beer, but not much in the alcohol dept. only 4.9

Not my favorite by a long shot, but not horrible.

3.56/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured dark like a malt, but it wasn't as thick, more like a lager. (Go figure.)

Very light smell, smell of hops, malts, coffee, chocolate, and dark bread.

The taste was rather good. I expected less to be honest. Nice malty mix with caramel and coffee notes on the tounge. A very slight toasted finish with a clean finish. As it warms you can taste the hop notes a little too

It was a little too carbonated, which is why I reduced the mouthfeel one notch on this.

Overall this is a definite hit from the Sam Adams collection and you won't regret buying one. I'll buy one again. (I would like to try it on tap)

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

3.6/5  rDev -3.7%

I'll be writing a bunch of review from this holiday sampler, I suppose. A decent haul on average, but nothing to go out of your way to get. If you live in the south, though... :)

Poured into a pilsner glass. Very dark brown, mahogany when held up to the light. Big foamy tan head that lasted half the glass, and then left a good deal of lacing.

Smells good coming out of the bottle. Caramel, toffee, some nuts, grapes and raisins... not really any burnt malt.

Taste is a bit of a letdown. Most of the bite is from carbonation. Roast/burnt malt and molasses, and am left with a nutty, caramel aftertaste.

Medium full body, tacky aftertaste.

Easy enough to drink. Probably better than the Koestritzer I've had.

4.3/5  rDev +15%

The Schwartzbier type is relatively unknown in the states, unless you have a good beer retailer or pub that has carried the German Kostritzer. Thankfully, Samuel Adams has added this excellent beer to its rotation.

It pours dark with a decent off white head. It's black until you hold it up to the light when you can see the ruby inside.

The aroma is all about malt, biscuit, some mild chocolate--similar to the aromas coming from the stove when I'm homebrewing.

The taste is hearty. It doesn't have that overpowering maltiness of an Oktoberfest style; it's more chocolaty and sweeter, but not too sweet. The hops come in on the sides of the tongue and cover up the sweetness just in time. It has a dry finish, almost cleansing in nature, with a slight chocolate scone flavor lingering around. Mouthfeel is medium to thin, which is fine since this is a lager.

Overall, a worthy offering from Jim Koch and friends. It takes the lager to new worlds as should be the case when 85% of the world drinks tasteless fizzy yellow bile.

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

Appearance - Dark brown when pouring, but appears black as the glass fills. When held to light brown and red are seen.

Smell - Like a lager! Also has kind of a burnt smell.

Taste - The best part. Chocolate/Coffee/Lager Beer.

Drinkability - Fantastic, a great session beer!

2.26/5  rDev -39.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A-Poured a dark cola color with minimal head but had some decent lacing.

S-Smell was decent not too much to speak of here

T- I just really didn't enjoy the style...nothing against the beer it just had a contrasting bitter versus sweet taste...that was wholly unbalanced

M-It is a lager and its mouth feel is light for being such a dark brew.

D-Light and with a low ABV you could drink quite a few, but I will not buy this again.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

4.18/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured a deep black into my glass mug from the bottle with a tan, fluffy head. Holding it up to the light, I could detect nice rubies around the edges. The head left a somewhat decent lace down the walls of the mug also. It has a nice sweet malty smell with a little hint of something else that i can't quite place. On the first sip I taste some nice malts and a little bit of that Schwarzbier tang that I've come to enjoy. The taste gets richer and more complex as it warms up. Add to all that a nice smooth finish and mouthfeel and you have one damn tasty and drinkable dark lager.

4.42/5  rDev +18.2%

I was very surprised by it;s easy drinkability. Usually dark or black beer tend to have a very molassasy taste but this did not.

Sweet at first and with a very distintive finish. Not bitter at all.

Color was a rich hue of very dark brown with a nice amber edge.

Very nice compliment with spicy steak or even seared tuna.

A one.

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

3.71/5  rDev -0.8%

I picked up a case of this and was impressed with this beer.

A- Pours a darker brownish color and you can see this when you hold it up to the light.

S- Smells of roasted malts, coffee. Nothing too overwhelming here.

T&M- Definitely a full bodied beer. Great taste of malts, no real bitterness with this one.

D- About average here. I wouldn't drink more than one or two of these in one sitting. SA's Black Lager isn't meant to be pounded down, rather it's more or less for relaxing.

Overall, I would definitely pick this one up again. I enjoyed it and if you are a fan of schwarzbiers, take a chance on this one because you won't be disappointed.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

Samuel Adams Black Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)