Samuel Adams Weiss Bier | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Samuel Adams Weiss BierSamuel Adams Weiss Bier

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by kbub6f on 01-04-2002

4.48/5  rDev +25.5%

As a novice "beer" taster, I was impressed with the smooth drinkability of this wheat offering. This was actually my first wheat beer and I was impressed. The cloudiness of this wheat beer was visually ineresting and added to its appeal. I plan to try several of the other offerings in this category as well as other highly rated types in the coming months. Additionally, I plan to become more of a connoiseur by contrasting the various characteristics, especially in this beer style.

3.39/5  rDev -5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy gold color with a dissapointing lack of head. Big soda bubbles rise sporadically from the side of the glass. Aroma is dominated by spicy yeast under which the malt/wheat cower. The flavor hits you with the spicy yeast and finishes with a mild esteriness that seems a little odd with the mild spiciness of the yeast. It is very crisp, but unlike most beers that invoke the crisp clause, it isn't overly watery. I'd take some of the real German hefes or an Oberon over this anyday, but this is a surprisingly bold attempt at the style from a brewer that seems to me to produce mostly tame beers.

3.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Nice hazy yellow-orange color. Aroma of banana stands out most. Taste is very smooth, perhaps too smooth, as it lacks any remarkable character. Flavor flushes from mouth rather quickly, leaving just a slight yeasty, bitter taste at the back of the tongue. Still, it's as drinkable as one expects from the Sam Adams label.

3.87/5  rDev +8.4%

I'm a recent fan of wheat/weiss beers. Before developing an appreciation for and knowledge of different styles, I considered them to be some kind of new beer, much like some of the fruit beers. This Sam Adams Weiss is enjoyable, but is not as flavorful as many weiss beers I've tried. The hops are well done, the finish is very smooth. It is a good summer refresher, but lacks some of the fruitiness I've come to expect. All in all, an enjoyable beer.

2.7/5  rDev -24.4%

I expected much more from this beer. Most of what comes from Sam's is amazing. This is much less than average compared to the finer Weiss beers (Hoegarden, Blue Moon, etc.).
Typical cloudy color but not such a great tasye. Smoky, yeasty, balance just seemed off. Would not be eager to drink again.

4.35/5  rDev +21.8%

Tart, as a good weiss should be, then moves to soft clove & banana. After taste is pleasant, but a bit on the sticky side, lots of good stuff went into making this weiss bier. Fragrant aroma, pleasant color, and spot on taste, make this Sam Adams rendition a winner in my book.

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An authentic rendering. A great banana bread nose. Starts sweet then some spicey clover bitters take charge, finishing a little dry and tongue numbing. This brew probably deserves a better rating than what I have given it credit for.

3.92/5  rDev +9.8%

Nice cloudy, dark yellow color. Poured a nice full fluffy head.

Nose was sweet grain and rich yeast.

Taste is very refreshing, slightly ripe banana (prob the yeast contributes to this) and quite rich.

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

Looks like apple juice. I had a glass without the lemon slice, and it probably would have enhnaced the taste if I had some lemons around. Oh well. Nevertheless, a very good weiss.

2.78/5  rDev -22.1%

Golden and cloudy. Bleached white bubbly head but it didn't hold. My first thought was to Hoegaarden or Blue Moon. Again, for my second new beer of the night I am dissapointed. It smells spiced, it looks good. It has no taste. Even after watering myself to clean my mouth and waiting a while. It has no real taste. I could drink it forever as it has no taste and no noticeable bite. Darn my luck.

4.12/5  rDev +15.4%

Slight rusty/cloudy color. Wheat/lemon/yeast nose. Very aromatic. White creamy head. Soft feel and light body. fruity/estery with a slight sour finish. I enjoy this beer. The beer is quite true to the style. A touch less two row malt would be good... but this is one of the best Sam's brews I have tasted. I can't wait until I can get it by the case in my area.

3.45/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy light golden color, as is typical for this style. Quite full white head that fades quickly, decent amount of lace. Strong aroma of banana and cloves. Flavor is incredibly spicy with the cloves dominating, lesser banana and wheat notes, followed by hints of nuts and hops, clean finish. A quite decent Hefeweizen

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

I thought this was a very successful US interpretation of a hefe. Pretty much all you could ask for: appetizing aroma, tasty banana flavor, firm body & mouthfeel and ultimately thirstquenching. Can't think of any other American hefes that I liked more than this [update 2/03: Ramstein is better], although my heart still lies with the German originals. All of Sam Adams' beers have the trademark SA taste, and for a long time this was my greatest criticism of their different styles - in that their house flavor didn't work with the styles they were trying. However, I think it works in this case, and I'm beginning to think it's kind of cool to (theoretically) be able to pick up a beer in a new/different style, take a sip (blindfolded, perhaps), and instantly be able to say "Oh, this is SA!"

3.54/5  rDev -0.8%

This beer has a terrific fruity, wheat-beer aroma. It has a lot of carbonation, but I was disappointed with the head. Not the best Weiss around, but it's a great pizza beer.

4.6/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Hell yeah! A winner from Sammy A., a very nicely done interpretation of a hefeweizen. Pours a nice fluffy white head...nothing too crazy like some other German wheats. Great banana/clove nose...very appetizing, sets the stage for what's to follow, great mouthfeel, nice lightly malty finish with a touch of hops followed by a nice yeasty fruity/bubblegummy finsh. Recommended!

3.28/5  rDev -8.1%

Cloudy golden appearance, with a creamy head that dissipates a bit too quickly. Faint orangey/banana aroma, with a touch of spice (clove). Taste is also a combination of mild citrus, banana and spice, with a slightly sweet, nutty finish. Overall, mild and somewhat refreshing. Not necessarily the best weiss beer out there, but not too bad on a warm afternoon.

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy dark yellow...slick head...aroma not as strong as i expected...spicy on the nose...some banana..very easy drinking...doesn't seem to have a lot of Hefe-weizen characteristics or at least they are not as pronounced. Technically this one probably doesn't stack up well with the true bavarian wheats..there is some spiciness..cloves..banana's..the things you'd expect but not as strong tasting as you would expect. STILL, I like this beer. I could pound a dozen or so of these easy after a day of working or playing in the sun...Would be a great keg beer for a summer barbecue..

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a cludy yellow with a nice lace and some yeasties floating around. Strong wheat and yeast smells with slight banana and spiciness. Nice strong wheat flavor with some weak background of yeast and spices. Clean mouthfeel, slightly creamy and drinkable. Well as a Hefe this isn't really much of a beer. However, it is a pretty good wheat beer. Not a bad session brew on a hot summer day. Basing it on the hefe classification it is only slightly better than average but well worth a try if you like wheat beers.

3.14/5  rDev -12%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

The head is quite thin when compared to other Hefeweizens (I usually end up sipping the head on a good hefeweizen before I get to the liquid itself.) Cloudy from the wheat, with no yeast haze at all-- probably why they call it a Weiss and not a Hefeweizen. Typical yeasty esters are there and a dominated by clove while banana esters are at a minimum. A slight mustiness is perceptible as well. It's definitely more mild overall in aroma than commonly available German wheats. The body and mouthfeel are a bit lacking and don't have that proteinaceous creamy and smooth quality that a good Hefeweizen should have. The innocuousness of the overall flavor makes it fairly drinkable, but for a weizen it's a bit prosaic.

2.83/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Nice head that wasn't excessive. Slightly cloudy with a yellow-gold color. Aroma appropriate for style with phenols predominant and a slight wheat background. Mouthfeel seemed a little flat for style and leaving a thin quality to it. Flavor seemed to lack what I would expect in terms of wheat character and for a Bavarian style a shortage of phenols and fruity esters. Flavor was more barley malt than wheat. For a brewery I generally like this was rather dissappointing.

3.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Nice cloudy light peach or yellow in color, with a thin off-white head. Very nice citrus and banana aroma. Notes of banana, cloves, and citrus flavors are evident on the palate, with a smooth mouth feel. A nice crisp clean, watered finish. I was not satisfied with just one. Not a bad stab at a hefeweizen.

1.81/5  rDev -49.3%

Sorry, everyone. This is a beer that I absolutely loathed. Found it tough to finish, and made me yearn for a more traditional weiss.
Pours a hazy pale straw, with very little head. Smell is good with some clove and banana typical for the style.
Taste is bready, lightly fruity and very watered-down. The yeast adds an off-powdery and spicy tasty. This does not mix with the the dilution and seems out of place.
Honestly, this seems like hefe mixed with seltzer water. Way too thin tasting for me. The flavors present makes me glad this was not full bodied. The horrible powery taste coated my tongue and messed up my taste perceptions for an enitre day.

(as a note: VTrain and I sampled this out of the same pack. Was ours bad, since the other reviews seem more favorable? However, we both agreed this was a horrible disappointment. With all the other options available, this will not be purchased again. The review stands as is: One of the biggest failures I have encountered in my beer journeys)

3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

Cloudy and unfiltered, this beer is nice. I don't think this compares with the German's, but I don't think that was their idea. Slighty tangy, with little banna flavor. A quality beer, and good for the warmer weather.

4.04/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance is cloudy blonde, nice creamy/sticky head. Clove aroma, with a touch of banana in the back. Flavour is pretty even and balanced. Malt is a touch sweet (some banana), hops are a touch bitter. Twinge of clove spice. Wheat adds a nice crisp snap, but is a bit rough around the edges (husky/tannins) ... so the mouthfeel is not as soft as a German weiss, but still rather good and smooth. Finish is dry with husk on the palate. Make sure you pour 3/4 out, then swirl the yeast up with the remainder, then pour that into your glass -- the flavour lies in the yeast. Don't be afraid.

For a big guy like Samuel Adams, this is an outstanding weissbier! Has all of the traditional characters you'd expect. Will they make this a year round beer? How about a Dunkel?

4.3/5  rDev +20.4%

In my humble opinion, one of the better American takes out there on this style of beer! Granted I missed their original offering of this style a few years ago... but still a very tasty and satisfying brew!

Samuel Adams Weiss Bier from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)