Samuel Adams Utopias
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams UtopiasSamuel Adams Utopias
Rate It
Beer Geek Stats | Print Shelf Talker
From:
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Massachusetts, United States
Jul 09, 2005
SCORE
World-Class
Samuel Adams UtopiasSamuel Adams Utopias
Notes: Truly the epitome of brewing's two thousand year evolution, Samuel Adams Utopias® offers a flavor not just unlike any other beer but unlike any other beverage in the world. Each release is a blend of batches, some having been aged up to 16 years in the barrel room of our Boston Brewery, in a variety of woods. We aged a portion of the beer in hand-selected, single-use bourbon casks from the award-winning Buffalo Trace Distillery. Some of the latest batches also spent time in Portuguese muscatel finishing casks, as well as sherry, brandy and Cognac casks. This flavorful, slightly fruity brew has a sweet, malty flavor that is reminiscent of a deep, rich vintage port, fine cognac or aged sherry.

2019 Vintage aged in Buffalo Trace barrels and finished in Aquavit, Caracavelos, Ruby Port, Cognac, and Medeira Barrels.
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
Ratings by cdinardo21:
Reviewed by cdinardo21 from Pennsylvania

4.59/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
Not sure it's worth the price tag, but the 2021 vintage really did live up to the appropriate hype. It's super solid, and the caramel and sherry notes remind me a little of a barleywine - but it's its own animal. Definitely glad to tick this.
Jun 17, 2022

Rated: 4.38 by Jonathan-Morgan from Florida

May 14, 2022
Reviewed by Viaduck from California

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75
This is my review of the 2021 edition of Utopias. I regret missing missing the previous editions, this is my first. With much anticipation I waited for my local Total Wine to show it in stock & rushed over to hesitantly with $240. I’m more than a bit thrifty but I wanted to try this legendary brew. I ordered proper glassware to serve this ‘“beer”. Poured into a Glencairn whiskey glass, the headless, reddish liquid was a perfect match of the mahogany trim on my Stressless recliner. Aroma, I can’t imagine anything prettier, it would make a great perfume: bourbon, sherry, wine, caramel, maple & an abundance of barrel aromas. Flavor: far more complex flavors than my meeker palate can discern but here are few I can pick out, bourbon, wine, caramel, ripe fruit, vanilla with maple & tart cherries at the finish. There is no carbonation but plenty of alcohol, this definitely a sipper. It is delicious & it’s aroma is heavenly. Is it worth the high price? Probably not. Will I try another in future? Probably, at least one more. Besides, it matches my furniture.
Apr 13, 2022

Rated: 4.59 by BeerBeast from Florida

Dec 22, 2021
Reviewed by Edgewise

4.54/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5
Is this a beer? Convince me! I bit the bullet when my local brew shop procured a trio of these for customers with more cash than sense. I've still got the bottle here on my desk, and it's a good way to start conversations with fellow hop heads.

Zero head, zero carbonation. A dark amber color that smells like a strong port. It tastes kind of like a port that was made from raisins and maple syrup instead of grapes. The mouthfeel is weirdly oily, probably due to the use of maple syrup in the brewing process. Best enjoyed in moderation, because it's gone before you know it.

I'm glad I had the experience, but I can't see myself getting it again. It's just way too expensive for what you get. The oily character was a little off-putting to me, and while I liked the strong raisin flavor, I wasn't as fond of the maple. And in no way is it experienced like something you'd call "beer." You take careful shots, there's no carbonation, and it's stronger than many cocktails.

It's probably not fair for me to call it "overrated," and given the expense of brewing it, I can't quite say it's overpriced. But the experience was more costly than it was worth for me.
Dec 16, 2021
Rated by Fordcoyote15 from Pennsylvania

4.1/5  rDev -8.3%
2021 with cherries. Total meh.
Dec 15, 2021

Rated: 4.32 by Bandi from New York

Rated: 4.52 by metter98 from New York

Rated: 4.51 by dbrauneis from North Carolina

Rated by animal69 from Louisiana

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75
2021 vintage, much more complex than my previous vintages, this "beer" only gets better with every year
Nov 30, 2021
Rated by 11-52_4hops from Virginia

4.94/5  rDev +10.5%
2017 bottle. So interesting. So challenging. So complex. So tasty. Might not be for everyone, but it is for me. Think BA barley wine on steroids.
Nov 20, 2021

Rated: 4.56 by Dgman8053 from New York

Nov 20, 2021
Reviewed by Manta200 from Kentucky

4.82/5  rDev +7.8%
Just has the 2021 Utopias at the Sam Adams Cincinnati taproom.
I am not sure is this should be called a beer. Drinks like a port wine or Sherry.
Bold notes of dark fruit and hints of licorice.
It was a nice experience but a am not sure of buying a full bottle of it.
Maybe when I win the lottery I put one of these babies on my shelf.
Nov 14, 2021
Reviewed by Parmesan from Colorado

4.15/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
L:. Pours a a brilliant chestnut brown with no carbonation and no head, looks more like a hard alcohol than a beer.

S:. Leads off with a sweet nose of molasses and maple syrup, quite reminiscent of whiskey, with a note of vanilla and cinnamon, some notes dark fruits and a light cherry, does remind me of a barley wine. Booze is noticeable.

T:. The strong booze coats the tongue first, followed by mounds of sweet maple and molasses, becomes quite reminiscent of whiskey, some notes of vanilla and a light cinnamon, don't get a tone of the cherry but a very slight note of them. Once again the booze is noticeable and drinks a lot more like hard liquor than beer.

F:. No carbonation, creamy smooth, strong heat from the alcohol

O:. This is a very interesting beer and very good, but too me it doesn't quite live up to the price or the hype.
Nov 14, 2021

Reviewed by Rug from Massachusetts

4.37/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
2019 vintage

Here we are BA, my personal whale. Sam Adams Utopias. Me and my buddy Pru managed to find a bottle about 2 hours from home because we just couldn’t wait for this year’s release. This is also beer #800 for me! I’m very excited to break into this, so I’m gonna stop wasting time and open it up

Obviously this is not a beautiful pour for beer, but the presentation of the bottle alone is worth a 5. Pours clear dark amber with no head but nice legs

It’s very evident that this was brewed with maple syrup, as the nose is a mapley booze bomb. I’m picking up on aromas of spicy bourbon, sticky maple, cinnamon, sweet vanilla, rum raisin, smooth oak, dark cherry, cocoa powder, brown sugar, and a touch of honey

This is super sweet in taste, somewhere in between a barleywine and a bourbon or cognac. On the front end of the sip I’m tasting strong maple syrup, molasses, brown sugar, cinnamon, dried plum, and burnt sugar. The swallow has a pretty decent burn and brings notes of sweet maple syrup, black cherry, spicy bourbon, buttery oak, brown sugar, creamy vanilla, dried plum, sherry, fig, and a touch of cocoa

A medium full body with almost no carbonation, just an alcoholic tingle resulting in a rich beer. Finishes somewhat dry but quite sweet

This is not necessarily an amazing beer, and not even necessarily a beer. However, it’s really a once in a lifetime experience, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. To good beer and better freiends!
Oct 02, 2021
Reviewed by Pru from Massachusetts

3.91/5  rDev -12.5%
Excited to finally have a Utopias. Only a 2019 but the experience of unboxing it and pouring the bottle is second to none. Sharing this bottle with my bud Rug. Based off looks, phenomenal. Never before had to unbox a beer. Smells strong, gives a bourbon vibe and hints of cinnamon. Slightly burns to smell but that’s to be expected with a beer of this alcohol percentage. Tastes strongly of maple syrup, and bourbon. Hints of cinnamon in the background. Medium feel, finishes sticky. Overall a phenomenal experience. Not anything phenomenal to the senses, but one any craft beer fan should have.
Oct 02, 2021

Rated: 4.25 by NickMunford from Wyoming

Jul 16, 2021
Reviewed by Victory_Sabre1973 from Minnesota

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%
2007 vintage - First opened July 4, 2021 - Review on July 6, 2021.

This beer looks thick as heck while pouring. It's a red/brown color coming from the bottle. There's no head at all, which doesn't surprise me one bit, based on the age and ABV.
The nose is out of this world. In a way, to me, it smells like a fine bourbon. Very boozy, first off. I get tons of caramel, toffee, chocolate, raisin, plum, and so much more that I can't fully describe. This is an outstanding aroma.
Taste - I know I won't do justice to this - Chocolate is up front, as is the raisin and plum. It then goes to the back to toffee and caramel. I'm also getting vanilla in the mix. This is really only a small portion of the flavors I'm getting overall, but I just can't put words to them.
Body - Up front there's a bit of a burn from the alcohol, but WAY less than the ABV would suggest. It then turns to a smooth, almost creamy feeling, that is so smooth and easy drinking.
This is worth the hype, and I'm so happy I got the chance to get a bottle. Being in the liquor business now, I'm going to try to get another the next time it comes out, just to see the difference between vintages.
Jul 06, 2021

Rated: 4.25 by Rkitchen from Michigan

Jun 19, 2021

Rated: 4.75 by Jmalo from Ohio

Jun 17, 2021

Rated: 4.62 by ivegot3Dvision from Oregon

Jun 17, 2021
Samuel Adams Utopias from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 99 out of 100 with 2800 ratings