Samuel Adams Utopias | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams UtopiasSamuel Adams Utopias
94%
Liked This Beer
4.46 w/ 2,541 ratings
Samuel Adams UtopiasSamuel Adams Utopias

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

4.46/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,541 |  Reviews: 552

1.03/5  rDev -76.9%

This just isnt beer. Way too much.

1.08/5  rDev -75.8%

1.24/5  rDev -72.2%

1.32/5  rDev -70.4%

1.5/5  rDev -66.4%

1.5/5  rDev -66.4%

1.53/5  rDev -65.7%

A friend of mine had 5 bottles of this, including a 2002 (does it age or is my friend wealthier than he is smart?), one of which we opened for my 30th. He told me it's very expensive but did not say how much. I felt a certian pressure to enjoy this and I pretended I did, but I did not.
Poured with no head and no lacing. It smelt like a forified wine and, in fact, that is what it is. This has no place being called a beer. The ABV should instantly say that it is not a beer and the taste confirms it. I'm not really a spirits man. I appreciate a gin and tonic and an occasional single malt but that's it.
The flavours that I got were a scotch-like peatiness with malt, caramel and what tasted like lager hops. This didn't really know what it was. It tasted to me like a cross between scotch, sweet dark rum, lager and pure alcohol.
Maybe if this was called something else I would have been more receptive to the taste but to call it beer is sacrilege to me. Can you imagine calling something that was 20% wine? Wine makers and experts would label you an idiot. This should not be on this list imo, hence the very low marks.

1.54/5  rDev -65.5%

I had one of the early vintages at my cousin's. He fought hard to get one of the firsts, and paid through the nose, which is the only reason he's hung onto the bottle. It poured nothing like beer, and smelled nothing like beer. Everyone who compared it to cognac is on to something, but don't disrespect good cognac either. It tasted like bad (like spoiled bad) maple syrup. As a chemical experiment, a "beer" with that high of an ABV, is impressive. But there is a reason why Sam Adams was the first in recent history to do it, and why many others aren't following his lead. If you get the chance to taste it (especially if you don't need to pay) give it a shot, it is unique. But be honest in your impression of it, don't fall victim to it's high price and fancy bottle.

it poured nothing like beer, the smell was somewhat inviting (though not like beer), it tasted bad, it burned in your mouth, and it's far to expensive to drink (that is assuming anyone would want to)

1.59/5  rDev -64.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Was not a fan of this.

1.75/5  rDev -60.8%

1.75/5  rDev -60.8%

2.25/5  rDev -49.6%

2.32/5  rDev -48%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 2

Where to start?... I was in Greenpoint Brooklyn, visiting Torst (which is the best beer bar I've ever been to) and left torst to try a little brewpub a few streets over. I'm drunk, but anyway, I make it over and sample some of their brews and they all aren't impressive. Their beer menu says they have Utopia and the beer geek in me has to try it. 2oz. for $26. I had a 2012 batch and upon my first sip, I ran to the bathroom to puke. It tasted more like thick congac than beer. After puking, I returned and finished the glass. It was a very hard beer to drink and wasn't enjoyable in the least. However, I can brag to my friends that I tried a 29% abv beer. I would never get this crap again.

2.4/5  rDev -46.2%

Bought this beer at Blanchards in Jamaica Plain.

Packaged in a copper kettle bottle. Very attractive. I served some of this to some friends in shot glasses (no, we did not drink them as shots).

Smells of alcohol, vanilla, and maple.

It tastes like it smells and in that order. Nice maple finish as it goes down.

I was all about this with the 2005 version. I mean really talked this up to friends who themselves loved it. However, this version was a real disappointment. Flavor was consumed by the alcohol in this batch. Someone told me that this version tastes like a cheap port. After having this I would have to agree. Don't get me wrong. I LOVED the 2005 version. I paid a grip of money to get that version and felt it was money well spent. This version really bummed me out. I may be wary of future vintages from now on. I would say, taste this (if you can) before you buy.

Samuel Adams Utopias from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 94% out of 100 with 2,541 ratings