Samuel Adams Utopias | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams UtopiasSamuel Adams Utopias

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by GClarkage on 07-09-2005

Ratings: 2,514 |  Reviews: 547

4.49/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to an amazing beer guy at the local liquor store who gave me, for free, the bottle containing what was left over from a tasting I missed out on. I thought the bottle was empty, was a pleasure to discover it was not!

About 1 ounce poured from a 2013 bottle into a Glencairn whisky tulip, enjoyed at room temperature.

Appearance: Well, this doesn't look like beer, but it does look like a fine liquor. Dark, translucent amber, hints of rose. No head, of course, no lacing, of course.

Smell: Cognac, sherry, lots of dark fruits. And so much alcohol heat it's incredible. I feel like if I had more experience with whisky and other fine liquors like that, I'd be better equipped to review this "beer."

Taste: I'm getting lots of raspberry type flavors in here. A slight fruity tanginess that, together with the dark fruit flavors, tastes like raspberry. A good deal of woodiness, and of course plenty of alcohol burn. The finish is very sweet, probably from the maple. I think I can see why this is compared to sherry and cognac and such, even though I have no knowledge of those. The whisky my roommate has here is aged in sherry casks though, and this smells and tastes similar to that.

Mouthfeel: It burns from the heat. This is why I stick to beer instead of liquor. Completely flat, of course, which is to be expected.

Overall: Well I'm definitely sticking to beer and not liquor, but for a hybrid between the two this was quite good. I doubt I'll buy full bottles of it very often before I win the lottery, but it is very nice to have every now and then.

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I took only very abbreviated notes so a detailed and structured review is out, but I couldn't skip the review. A very memorable beer and of course unlike anything I've had before (having never broken about 16% ABV before).

The nose is almost full sherry / port for me, with an extra dash of bourbon heat. Lots of dark fruit and rich sweetness.

The taste is sticky honey, rich sherry sweetness with red wine tannins, some molasses and dense malts. Balanced with a bit of heat. A great sipper, similar to how I'd expect to enjoy a fine port or cognac, though I am embarassingly uneducated in those elixirs.

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

the good people at boston beer brought five gallons of this to big beers in vail this weekend, and i have to thank them, because i would never be able to afford to try this one of a kind brew any other way. with much anticipation my glass is filled with a hazelnut colored liquid that shines mellow bronze on the edges and has essentially no head. the nose is hotly alcoholic, i smell it long before it even gets to my nose, very intense. but i also smell rich malted barley, the start of homemade caramel is white sugar just sweats in the pan, and a woody vanill vibe that reminds me of a good bourbon. the taste is more like a cognac than a bourbon or a beer through, and thats what i notice the most. its not nearly as sweet as it smells either, but has some necessary residual sugar to soften the alcohol burn. it almost feels distilled instead of brewed. i get a ton of wood on the finish, like a combination of countless barrels. its a little bit of everything rolled into one, but it somehow, to me at least, makes beautiful beer. i know others have been critical of the lack of carbonation, massive still body, and the price tag on this beer, which is certainly not for everyone, but i found it positively delightful. would i buy it? maybe. but i am overjoyed that i got to sample this, and honestly, a sample is all you really need with this strength and intensity of flavors. this proves that sam adams still makes some of the most far out beer in the world, even if the flagship brands are super safe.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

Samuel Adams Utopias from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)