Samuel Adams Utopias | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams UtopiasSamuel Adams Utopias

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by GClarkage on 07-09-2005

Ratings: 2,530 |  Reviews: 551

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

4.77/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

200th beer since joining the site!

10th Anniversary (2012) poured into a Utopias glass. Served at 65*. I will review this for what it is.

A- Pours perfectly still into the glass. Throws highlights of color into the room as it escapes from the depths of the bottle. Deep caramel amber color. Looks like a very very old spirit. Leaves beautiful, long legs on the glass when swirled. Slightly viscous (like an old ale). Definitely not thin like a spirit.

S- Wow. Let's make a list as we pick things out. There's a lot going on here. Much more complex than any other beer. Toffee, caramel, fig, date, maple, tobacco, leather, HUGE, full, Tawny Port, explodes in your head, rum barrel!!

T- Follows the nose. Carmel/toffee dominates the palate. Well masked alcohol. This lingers forever!!! Like toffee spun out the ass of Tinkerbell

M- Sticky. Syrup. Coats the lips in sweet deliciousness. Viscous at room temperature.

O- an experience I will never forget.

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

In honor of my deceased father in law we did a vertical of the 10 year anniversary Utopias and a more recent bottle. This review is from the 10 year anny bottle.

Deep chestnut with auburn highlights. No foam at all, not even a single bubble. I don't think there's supposed to be.

Lotsa, lotsa smells: vanilla, a fair amount of triple bock squeamishness, licorice string, blackberry brandy, maple, caramel coated nuts and many, many more. One of the more complex things I've put in front of my nose, beer or otherwise.

Big and chewy. Vanilla and a whole lotta butterscotch. Maple and fig in back. Still pretty hot.

A tough beer to rate because I don't have much to compare it to other than the travesty of Sam Adams Triple Bock. I'm told it's similar to cognac but I'm not a cognac drinker. I like it and methinks it's very good.

Cheers Ed Lachapelle.

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Bought two bottles of the 10-year, one to drink and one to save. First time I ever dropped so much coin on one bottle of beer let alone two, but in the end it was an eye opening experience that caused me to go back and readjust all the top beers I've rated. Entirely worth the price if you can find it and have the extra cash saved up to spend on it.

The beer has a great history behind its ingredients and is unparalleled in it's balance between complexity and flavor. Should definitely be enjoyed a little at a time as it would be a shame to get too buzzed to truly enjoy the experience.

To date the only beer I've rated 5-star.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

Samuel Adams Utopias from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)