Samuel Adams Honey Porter | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Honey PorterSamuel Adams Honey Porter
Liked This Beer
3.67 w/ 913 ratings
Samuel Adams Honey PorterSamuel Adams Honey Porter

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

3.67/5
Alströms:

4.75/5  rDev +29.4%

4.73/5  rDev +28.9%

Once served in my bayern mug:

A: Matte black color, the foamy head is dark, long lasting and good lacing;

S: Emits malts with chocolate, toffee and coffee sweetened with honey;

T: Roasted malt with chocolate, toffee and coffee and a fund honey and banana, tastes like neapolitan ice cream;

M: Refreshing with a high bitterness, the bitterness is offeset with sweetness of honey but doesn't become cloying, the body is full;

D: another exceptional beer from Samuel Adams.

4.73/5  rDev +28.9%

One of my favorites from Sam. The color and aroma are very good on this one. The taste is very very good. It is not too complex but it gives you enough to keep you interested in. This is a very drinkable beer. The honey taste is faint but complementative as opposed to over powering.

4.68/5  rDev +27.5%

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black color with decent head.

S: Mostly honey and roasted malt.

T: The honey and roasted malts dominate the taste.

M: Medium body, very smooth feel, not much carbonation.

D: Goes down smoothly and is quite filling, it's tough to put down more than a few. An overall excellent beer, by far the best I've had from Sam Adams yet.

4.6/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured a very dark brown from a bottle into a normal pint glass.

You smell malt more than anything at first. Then both hops and honey. However, the honey aroma is earthy...not too sweet.

It has just the right amount of honey - doesn't taste too sweet. It actually tasted hoppier than I'd expect.

Mouthfeel - Feels fairly sharp and carbonated on the tongue. Didn't really expect that because malty beers are usually smoother to me. However, it's not a bad thing.

Drinkability - Very drinkable. In fact, the beer itself is quite dry, which almost makes you more thirsty. Therefore, it's easy to have 2 or 3.

Another well done brew from the Sam Adams crew.

4.57/5  rDev +24.5%

Appearance - Poured into a pint glass with a good 2-finger thick head that was surprisingly light. Very dark amber color.

Smell - Pronounced honey smell had me passing the glass past my nose several times.

T/M/D - Sweet taste with a somewhat thick mouthfeel. Very drinkable - not heavy at all, and not so sweet that several could not be enjoyed in one session.

Overall - Another great effort by the folks at Sam Adams!

4.57/5  rDev +24.5%

First Porter I have ever tried so, really don't have anything to compare this to. Poured into a pint glass, Poured a very cola color, with a tan head that went away quickly. Moderate to no lacing, decent carbonation. The smell is this is of roasted malt, with just a hint of honey.The mouthfell of this beer is suprisingly light, given the color and overall look of this beer. The taste is the same as the smell, roasted malt sticks out, with a tinge of honey in the after taste. Overall this is a quality beer, but aren't all sam adams? I would definatly drink this agian, and want to try more porters for this one.

4.53/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very deep ruby and mahogany body, almost opaque. Huge tan head with full range of bubbles. Great lace and retention.
Delicious dark earth notes with a good amount of honey-on-dark-bread smell. Faint but pleasant hop notes.
The honey is truly apparent in the taste, swirling among earthly grainy malts thick with the sweet, solid and dense sensation of dark, moist mulch. Some raisen and fruity tones. Roasted bittering aftertaste with a nut skin hoppiness.
Full body, good coating and a dry finish. Some residual sugars.
Highly drinkable, very delicious.

-Oelergud

4.52/5  rDev +23.2%

A - Pours up mahogany with ruby highlights. AThe creamy off-white head quickly dissipates to a thin layer on the top and clinging to the sides of the glass.

S - Sweet malt with highlights of honey. I know it's corny, but it smells like a cool autumn breeze.

T - Starts off with malt sweetness, with some roast malt and honey. Very slight hop bitterness. Finishes with a subdued roasty taste at the back of the the tongue.

M - Thick and creamy with a touch of CO2. Very smooth.

D - Extremely drinkable. Mild finish doesn't overwhelm the palate. As my dad used to say, "Tastes like another one."

4.52/5  rDev +23.2%

(Disclaimer: this review is by a beer-newbie, for beer-newbies. Take into account that everything is this review is reviewed by a beer novice, and the writer hopes to appeal to, primarily, beer novices in their quest to find the perfect beer)

Sam Adams Honey Porter is an excellent beer that delievers great taste, very little bitterness, and a great overall drinking experience.

The appearance of the beer was good. It has a decent head when you get to the bottom of the bottle, but not when you pop the cap. This means you don't get beer all over the place, which is very convenient.

The smell of this beer was great! Very sweet, with the classic smell of beer, plus a hint of honey that almost goes unnoticed. It's not an overpowering smell, that is, you won't smell it immediately after opening the bottle. You have to get down and smell this beer, but once you do get a whiff of it, you'll love it.

The taste is also great. Not overly strong, there are a lot of different tastes that you'll be able to experience in your mouth. The best part? Almost no bitter taste! You can sip on this beer, you can chug it, and it's smooth as silk. Also, the after taste is very slight and not very bitter! This is a huge plus in my book ... as I hate drinking a beer and needing to eat something or drink something else to get the taste out of my mouth! The hint of honey is very subtle, you'll need to "look" for it ... but in the aftertaste you'll taste it a little bit more ... and you'll come to enjoy the aftertaste after a few sips!

The mouthfeel of this beer is great. No carbonation feeling whatsoever, which is my biggest concern in a beer. I hate when you sip a beer and it burns your tongue from the carbonation. To me, that just makes me want to gulp it down and not savor the flavor of the beer. This beer won't do that, plus, as you move it around your mouth, you get a lot of excellent tastes, and no uncomfortable feelings.

The drinkability of this beer is excellent. Again, it's one you can sip or gulp. This could be your stock beer, it's one that doesn't get old very quick ... the only downside is the 5.25% alcohol average. For me, that doesn't give me a buzz until the third bottle or so, but, everybody is different ... it's a good social beer to have.

I definately recommend this beer to anybody who likes porters or honey. Both tastes are not overpowering, it's very well balanced, and that's why this beer novice likes this beer. It's a good "platform beer," that is, a good beer to start off with and keep around.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

I bought a mixed sixer from Shop and save. For $6.00 even just about. Cheap!

The porter thing is getting to me more and more. I am quite fond.

Color was a deep dark reddish brown. And it poured a thick head.

Smell was very light. What I kinda expected.

The taste is like a porter explosion in my mouth, coffee and rich flavor. The honey is a real parnter in this one. Works. (Originally my first taste was like WOW this is strong?! But then shortly afterword, It was like Mmmm nice.)

Mouth feel was medium. It was very nice and sweet. Smooth and easy. Not gagging.

Drinkability, well. Lets just keep it at this, it has won awards and deserved it. This is a great beer. One of my new favorites. This is only the second porter I have drank and reviewed, and its gonna be hard to top my SAM SMITH porter review. For the price its just as good as Sam Smith.

Worth a try definitly. If your into Porter.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

Dark brown in color, nice light fluffy head.

Aroma of toffee, honey, and toasted malts. Tastes like it smells, along with dark fruit and hints of earthy, flowery hops. Balanced with moderate hop bitterness.

Incredibly full bodied for a honey beer. Perfect amount of carbonation.

Although it tastes more like a brown ale than a porter, it is so delicious that I could care less.

4.46/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was surprised by this one. I got a variety pack of Sam Adams brews. After the hideous "Cherry Wheat," I thought I'd hate this one for sure. Im not big on anything fruity or sweet.

But this really shocked me. The honey actually helped the flavor IMO, and I can't believe I'm saying that. One of the best of the Sam Adams line for sure.

Poured slightly reddish brown with lots of head. Nice appearance, with the usual sam adams lacing.

Nothing stands out about the smell.

Taste was outstanding. The honey actually compliments the porter, unlike other fruity or sweet beers I've tried. Cough...
jw Dundees... Cough.

Drinkibility was a 4.5.

Sam Adams is really hit or miss with me. This one is a hit.

4.45/5  rDev +21.3%

This beer pours a dark brown with a slight red tint to it. It supports a thick, fluffy, light brown head that fades slowly, leaving a nice solid lacing.

This beer has a pleasent honey aroma to it. The honey is easliy detected, but it is not overbearing, or aggressive. It is subtle. It smells malty sweet. Some caramel notes are present as well.

This beer tastes like it smells. Subtle, but good honey flavor up front. It tastes sweet, with a nice caramel malty flavor.

This beer goes down smooth, leaving a nice sligtly honey like aftertaste. It might be just a little thinner than I would expect for a porter. It is carbonated ok.

I think this beer would be a good session beer. While low in alcohol, it has a great flavor that I doubt I would get tired of. It is ashame that this beer is not more readily available.

Overall: Great beer. It would be better if they came in their own six packs instead of having to buy the mixed six pack.

4.45/5  rDev +21.3%

12 oz bottle from the new Brewmaster's 12-pack. Black body with just slight ruby-red highlights with a half inch of tan head that dissipates slowly leaving a fair bit of lacing. Smells like malt sweetness and honey, though aroma is slightly weaker than I would expect. Taste consists of equal parts roasted malt and honey with a hint of alcohol. Creamy mouthfeel. Wow. This beer is fantastic. Easily a new favorite!

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a glass.

A: Awesome head retention on this brew. Leaves a substantial amount of lacing as it's being consumed, and is a beautiful dark chocolate color in the glass.

S: The nose on this brew is a wonderful blend of roasted malts and sweet honey.

T: Starts off with just a faint hint of honey and then fades to a substantial hopiness (for the stlye) of hops and roasted malts. Throughout the sip, the honey is present and provides good balance to the rest of the flavor. The only thing that I would say is just slightly off is in the beginning the honey comes through just a tad too sweet. However, this actually isn't a bad thing as the other flavors balance the sweetness out so well. This brew has one my favorite aftertastes, as it leaves a very nice honey flavor after the sip is completed.

M: Nearly perfect for a porter in my opinion. Substanital body, but not too heavy.

D: Very drinkable, but not something I would want to drink several of all the time as this is defenitely a "sipping, slow down and appreciate it" kind of brew. Not just the taste, but I even found myself stopping to smell the beer a couple of times as I was consuming it because of its awesome nose. I used to not drink Samuel Adams, and I heard this used to be one of their beers they brought back. I am damn glad they did, a wonderful porter I will continue to enjoy.

4.42/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer has a nice thick quality to it. It's the kind of beer I can sit and nurse the glass. It has a really nice malt and honey aroma, and a balanced taste. However, I found it a bit too thick to serve with food. Drinkability is what I found lacking in this brew.

Samuel Adams Honey Porter from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 50.3% out of 100 with 913 ratings