Samuel Adams Honey Porter | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Samuel Adams Honey PorterSamuel Adams Honey Porter

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: English Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

Reviews: 635 | Ratings: 912
3.48/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from bottle, best before June 2007

Pours deep borwn with a rocky tan head that slowly thins and sticks around.

The smell is of sweet dark malt and honey.

The taste is of honey upfront that lingers around well into the aftertaste. Beyond the herbal honey sweetness lies more sweet maltiness that is offset by a pinch of bitter coffee. There is something beyond the honey, but not enough to even it out. Sweet finish with just a nod to the bitter hops that stay well-subdued.

The feel is medium to full bodied with a soft, almost buttery, smoothness.

I expected a honey sweetness, and got it, but some more balance would have been nice. A coffee-ish porter was present, enough to give it a decent taste when mixed with the honey, but not enough to round it out. Not a bad brew for but the honey sweetness was a bit too much for me, personally.

3.93/5  rDev +6.5%

Hard poured into a pint glass. Beautiful dark ruby red to brown colors. Three finger tan head full of rocky bubbles. Very nice lace retention as well. Great presentation.

Up front very pronounced honey notes. Some mild burnt grains and toasted malts as well.

Roasted malts hit you head on. A lot of grainy notes. Some faint dry cocoa flavors as well. The finish is slightly sweet with the faintest hint of honey.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied. Although the head was pretty epic, there is little carbonation "bite." Actually, it's quite smooth.

Very drinkable. Enough flavor to keep me interested, but not so complex that it becomes numbing to the palate.

This beer holds a special place in my heart. It was in fact one of the first beers I purchased when I turned 21. Truthfully, I can probably thank Jim Koch for opening the door to better beer in my life. I'm not sure if this recipe holds 100% true to the original, it's been so long since I'd had one that I really can't remember. But I will say it's a solid offering, and I'm more than happy to welcome it back.

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

AP: Very Dark brown, not totally opaque with some red hues when in direct light. A very thick and sticky mocha-tan colored head creates some sticky lacing all around the glass and displays good retention qualities.

Nose: A very aromatic brown-sugar and caramalized malted scent dominates with some roasty and doughy scents underneath. Very nice.

Taste: The taste is much more roasty and smoked flavored malt with some mild honey, nutmeg and brown-sugar sweet qualities that flows through after. It's a nice complex malted flavor that starts out hearty and mellows with a nice sweet after-taste.

MF: This is a full bodied brew with long legs that also feels crisp and lively. Very nice feel overall.

DA: This might be my favorite Sammy.

3.03/5  rDev -17.9%

A dark and translucent ruby red hue is topped off with a highly frothy head of an inch or so that sticks around a while.

The aroma is very sweet and malty, no hop character is noticeable; roasty sweet honey and toffee.

Lots of honey flavor combines with cereal grains and a bit of roasted maltiness; ample creamy mouthfeel with an annoying lingering sweet twang on the palate in the aftertaste.

There's not a whole lot of balance here, very sweet and very full of honey flavor; not a preferred porter for me, not horrible either. I just prefer more traditional darker porters.

3.81/5  rDev +3.3%

I picked up a sixer of this for a dinner party with my parents and their friends tonight, but busted into it early.

It pours coffee black with the expected creamy head and is barely translucent when held up to the light. The head sticks around to the very end leaving lacing on the glass.

It has a soft, slightly sweet nose that doesn't intimidate like some porters can. The hops are faint, but they are there. The aroma is mostly of malt, though. Overall, it could be stronger, but at the same time I feel like for the brewery's market, it's perfect. It certainly doesn't detract from this beer's quality.

The taste is dinner party fun, thankfully. It doesn't titilate the senses with all kinds of different activities. Instead, the slightest bit of malt and mocha hit the tip of the tongue, followed by the taste of the British hops that give porters and pale ales their class. There's none of the classic American citrusy flavor that some American microbrewers use to ruin stouts and porters. If you sit back in between sips, that hops flavor is left in the back of the throat, reminding you to keep drinking!

This goes in and goes down just like a porter ought to. It's January and I'm looking for something to stick to my ribs. It's creamy and satisfying without being overly filling. Also, the subtelty of the flavor leaves me wanting more rather than anticipating it just being over.

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

Samuel Adams Honey Porter
12 oz brown bottle
5.45% ABV (http://www.samueladams.com/world_of_beer.aspx)
Best before June 2007
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

This is one of those I feel like I often respond with a "I'm remember Sam Adams when..."

Pours a dark chestnut brown with ruby highlights. A decent head forms and leaves random trails of sticky lace.

Pleasant aroma of roasted malts & sugary goodness.

Dark roasted malts with a pronounced honey sweetness. A hint of coffee with a sugary honey-smoothness and nice hop presence.

I enjoyed this beer, but I swear I don't think this is the same recipe. The true honey flavors (which I enjoy) are greater than I remember and I also think the malt presence was heavier.

Nevertheless, I'm glad this offering is back in the rotation. A solid porter and one that I voted for in the "Beer Lover's Choice" Sam Adams promo at The Linwood several months ago.

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

This beer pours a pretty dark brown color with some amber red highlights around the edges. The head was about an inch when poured. It doesn't stay that big for long but it does have very good staying power once it shrinks to a very nice, foamy layer on the surface of the beer. Very nice lacing too. Aromas of sweet roasted malt and some honey. not really much else smell wise. Not a very complex aroma, but a good one! In some ways the taste actually reminds me of root beer a little bit, and in a good way too. Tastes pretty much the way it smells, sweet upfront with flavors of roasted malt and honey follwed by a bit of hops. It has a nice, smooth mouthfeel with light to moderate carbonation. Very easy to drink. I have another one and I am tempted to drink it now, but won't since I have to get up fairly early for work tomorrow. I actually feel quite buzzed after drinking only one of these, which leads me to believe that the ABV may be a bit higher than the average porter. And no I didn't have anything else alcoholic to drink tonight. Definetly worth a try!

Eric

3.65/5  rDev -1.1%

poured a nice dark mahogany with little off white head
smelled sweetly malty with the same taste
good mouthfeel and drinkability, i would drink a few tonight if i didnt have to get up early tomorrow
overall pretty good but little too sweet for my tooth without anything to say wow

3.7/5  rDev +0.3%

The Samuel Adams Honey Porter pours dark brown with a little red around the edges and a thin off-white head. The aroma is roasty and sweet. Taste also roasty and sweet, but sweeter than I prefer. Mouthfeel is good for the style. Drinkability is better than average, but I don't think I'd drink more than one in a sitting. This beer is worth a try.

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

12 oz bottle from the new Brewmaster's 12-pack. Pours a beautiful mahogany black with ruby-red highlights and a nice half inch tan head that dissipates slowly leaving a fair bit of lacing. Nice maltly aroma with some honey sweetness. Taste is very smooth for a porter. Good roasty malt background with just a hint a sweetness from the heather honey. Very well balanced with a creamy mouthfeel. An outstanding offering from the folks at SA. Good job Jim!

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

Enjoy before June '07.

Pours a cola colored clear liquid with ruby highlights. A quick forming creamy light beige head about 1/2" thick.

Sweet scents of honey graham crackers and Concord grapes. After a few more brisk swirls I detect milk chocolate and marshmallow cream.

Flavors of slightly charred wood and molasses hit my palate first. A spiciness evokes (and a dryness also) from the English golding (listed on neck label) hops, makes me think of chestnuts. There's a metallic aftertaste when these quickly fading flavors fall-off.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium with a slightly watery body. Dry finish.

Drinkability for me is so-so. I'll finish this bottle, but still feeling a bit unsatisfied.

Overall an OK porter that has a nice sweet/dry thing going for it. The body and mouthfeel seem limp to me. The flavors didn't stick around long as they quickly diminished after they hit the back of my throat. I've heard great things about this ale when it first came out 6-7 years ago, so I believe the recipe must have changed some (?).

3.86/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: Pours almost black with a light beige color creamy head that has excellent retention. Lacing lined the walls of my pint glass. This is really an attractive beer.

Smell: Sweet sugar caramel and cereal grains and honey. It has a soggy Cinnamon Toast Crunch aroma. Maybe a bit of vanilla with that malty nose.

Taste: Approachable and pleasant. It starts with sweet honey over a roasted malt typical porter body. Cinnamon and light hops with a dry-ish finish and a lingering roastyness.

Mouthfeel: A rich creamy feel that that is a bit lighter than I'd hope but decent enough.

Drinkability: This is a easy beer for a porter fan but a bit artificial. Still, I have a 6 pack and I am about to open another.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.68/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured a dark , semi-clear brown , with a rocky tan head that left lots of sticky lacing on my pint. Aromas are roasty , burnt sugar , definate honey scent , and some sweet malt. Taste is smooth and roasty , with sweet honey throughout , just a little bit of bitter and lightly spicy hop in there. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Overall a very tasty porter with a good twist. The honey is definately noticeable , and makes the brew on the sweet side for the style. Once again BBC does not dissapoint.

4.18/5  rDev +13.3%

12oz bottle into mug. Best by June '07, fresh sample.

Dark opaque brown, with a ruby red glow at the bottom. A tan one inch head that lasts forever, leaving a smooth silky appearance. The head settles to a thick cap. Layered sticky lacing.

Rich robust smell that has a dark roasted grainy aroma. A touch of honey sweetness can be detected.

Dark roasty malts with decent bitterness. Some bitterness from the hops, especially since it's dry-hopped. A little bit of the honey can be tasted in the end. Full bodied with good carbonation. The finish contains the dark grain, and at the very end a little bit of honey residue lingers.

Sam Adams brought this one back from demand. They gave a choice between two beers and this one reigned supreme. I'm glad they brought it back, because this is one tasty beer with a bit of a sweet twist added to a great porter. Highly recommended.

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

Very nice SA selection. Pours a near-black/dark brown body with a two finger tan, foamy head, leaving a considerable amount of lacing on the glass. Smell was one of honey, malt, and alcohol. Taste reminded me of a brown ale; a little bitter, with hints of honey that come through more toward the end. A nice smooth finish makes me consider having this as a session beer. Very enjoyable.

3.95/5  rDev +7%

Found it in a six-pack, which was surprising.

Dark, typical porter hue.

Smell was of raisins, roasted malt, and slightly honey.

Taste was a bit light. A medium body for a porter. Not watery, but not too flavorful. Ample honey taste though. Along with dried fruits.

Mouthfeel, again, a bit light. Honey and roasted malt showed on the palate.

I could definitely have a few. The medium body was disappointing, but helps its drinkability. You should try it without hesitation.

4.27/5  rDev +15.7%

An old style brought back by Sam Adams in the mix packs. Pours dark brown, almost like a dark ale rather than a porter. Smells sweet with some smokiness? Taste really nice, not too much like a porter but a not too sweet scotch ale, a hint of bitterness, maybe some honey in there too. Good mouthfeel. Overall I really like this, I was expecting this to be way too sweet but it isn't, really nice flavor. Should be a regular instead of a mix pack special.

4.45/5  rDev +20.6%

12 oz bottle from the new Brewmaster's 12-pack. Black body with just slight ruby-red highlights with a half inch of tan head that dissipates slowly leaving a fair bit of lacing. Smells like malt sweetness and honey, though aroma is slightly weaker than I would expect. Taste consists of equal parts roasted malt and honey with a hint of alcohol. Creamy mouthfeel. Wow. This beer is fantastic. Easily a new favorite!

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

Wow, another solid Sammy! *except for that lousy lager*. This would be a nice brew to get a hold of – but I guess it’s just part of the winter 12 pack.

Honey chocolate malt in the sniffer. Followed by a sweet and malty quaff, this brew makes for a great crossover into craft beers. The honey is subtle, but does add to the body and sweetness. Wifey had a few tastes, and really liked a “porter”. I guess it's the overall sweetness, himm, it would be nice to have more robust hops added to dry this sucker out a tad.

A tad thin, but nice sheet laces throughout the quaff session.

3.51/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Colossal honey! I was really unsure what to expect from this one. It poured a deep reddish brown with plenty of CO2 streaming skyward. Gorgeous offwhite foamy head stayed in place for several minutes. Very impressive. The smell was almost entirely honey. There is some roasted malt in there, and a bit of earthy hops, as well, but you really have to search for them. The honey is really, um, "present". Taste, too, is loaded with honey. There is, however, quite a pronounced bitterness on the finish, which I would probably really enjoy, but I feel it clashes with the honey a bit. Interesting thing about this one, is how there is some malt present up front, then some honey, then the hop bitterness on the finish, then, several seconds after you have finished with a sip, there is certainly a lingering honey aftertaste. Mouthfeel was really average for the style. Not spectacular, but you could do worse, too. Not sure if I could session this one or not. More than two might be a stretch. It certainly is very surprising and quite pleasant to sit down and enjoy just one, though.

3.76/5  rDev +1.9%

Mmmm-mmmm-mmmMMMmmm.

I could drink me a lot of this.

That toffee-honey thing just gets me goin'.

Understand that porter has never been my favorite style. Just never grabbed me. But this one does, like a hairy hand in the dark. Perhaps that belies that this may not truly represent the style? I'll cop to that.

And I don't recall having it on its first go round back in the day. Probably didn't (see above, not my favorite style and whatnot).

All in all, I'll buy this whenever I see it. Recommended.

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Back to the future again with this one. One of my original craft brew experiences. Ten years ago, cold night in Florida (in you can believe it) sum'thin sweet, sum'thin different.I liked it. I was psyched when I read on BA that this was being re-released.

Now, I know my tastes have evolved, but this one wasn't left behind, as many Sam Adams are because of too early of an experience.

Easily the best Porter in America. Lives up to its bold name too.

3.21/5  rDev -13%

12oz. bottle, with a freshness date of 06/2007. Poured into a pint glass, the beer poured a dark amber, forming a nice 1 inch thick head, leaving nice lacing on the glass. The aroma is roasted malts, and a little honey. The taste is sweet honey up front, followed by the roasted flavor expected from a porter. The mouthfeel is medium. I'm not sure I could session this porter, but one during a session wouldnt be bad. I've never had a honey porter before this one, and wasnt quite sure what to expect. It has an interesting flavor, but its not one that I would go out of my way to get. But with that said, this is still an offering from Sam Adams worth a try.

4.43/5  rDev +20.1%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a glass.

A: Awesome head retention on this brew. Leaves a substantial amount of lacing as it's being consumed, and is a beautiful dark chocolate color in the glass.

S: The nose on this brew is a wonderful blend of roasted malts and sweet honey.

T: Starts off with just a faint hint of honey and then fades to a substantial hopiness (for the stlye) of hops and roasted malts. Throughout the sip, the honey is present and provides good balance to the rest of the flavor. The only thing that I would say is just slightly off is in the beginning the honey comes through just a tad too sweet. However, this actually isn't a bad thing as the other flavors balance the sweetness out so well. This brew has one my favorite aftertastes, as it leaves a very nice honey flavor after the sip is completed.

M: Nearly perfect for a porter in my opinion. Substanital body, but not too heavy.

D: Very drinkable, but not something I would want to drink several of all the time as this is defenitely a "sipping, slow down and appreciate it" kind of brew. Not just the taste, but I even found myself stopping to smell the beer a couple of times as I was consuming it because of its awesome nose. I used to not drink Samuel Adams, and I heard this used to be one of their beers they brought back. I am damn glad they did, a wonderful porter I will continue to enjoy.

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

Crazy crazy head and INSANE RETENTION on my glass. It's a thing of beauty. The smell is very present with chocolate malts and some honey. The tase is smooth of cours with some chocolate malts and some honey. very well balanced and smooth. Could cling a litle better to the mouth and be a little more crisp, but nevertheless I could drink this beer all night.

Samuel Adams Honey Porter from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)