Samuel Adams Honey Porter | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Honey PorterSamuel Adams Honey Porter
3.67/5
Good
Samuel Adams Honey PorterSamuel Adams Honey Porter

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: English Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Look: dark brown with dark red highlights. The head is about a finger thick and is tan in color. The head forms a thin layer of tan foam on top of the beer as I work my way to the bottom of the glass. There's no lacing left.

Smell: a little sweetness from the honey but more dark malt than anything. Like everything from Boston Beer Company, the aroma is fairly subtle.

Taste: dark malt lends some coffee and dark chocolate flavors. The hops are also fairly noticeable. Its sweet but I can't pick out the honey very well.

Feel: medium bodied. Its a little too carbonated for my liking but otherwise its fine.

Drink: I could have a few of these if I wanted, though I probably wouldn't want to.

Overall, its a solid effort by Boston Beer Company but its far from my favorite porter. Boston Beer Company tends to play it safe with their beers and this is no exception. Worth a try, especially since its pretty easy to get, but I wouldn't go out of my way for this one. Cheers.

Enjoy before June '07.

Pours a cola colored clear liquid with ruby highlights. A quick forming creamy light beige head about 1/2" thick.

Sweet scents of honey graham crackers and Concord grapes. After a few more brisk swirls I detect milk chocolate and marshmallow cream.

Flavors of slightly charred wood and molasses hit my palate first. A spiciness evokes (and a dryness also) from the English golding (listed on neck label) hops, makes me think of chestnuts. There's a metallic aftertaste when these quickly fading flavors fall-off.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium with a slightly watery body. Dry finish.

Drinkability for me is so-so. I'll finish this bottle, but still feeling a bit unsatisfied.

Overall an OK porter that has a nice sweet/dry thing going for it. The body and mouthfeel seem limp to me. The flavors didn't stick around long as they quickly diminished after they hit the back of my throat. I've heard great things about this ale when it first came out 6-7 years ago, so I believe the recipe must have changed some (?).

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Samuel Adams Honey Porter from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)