Samuel Adams Irish Red | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Irish RedSamuel Adams Irish Red
3.46/5
Okay
Samuel Adams Irish RedSamuel Adams Irish Red

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Irish Red Ale

Pale and Caramel malts, and East Kent Goldings hops.

Added by WilliamPhilaPa on 08-24-2007

Ratings: 2,559 |  Reviews: 1,015
3.75/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.51/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. A very nice looking brew a dark reddish orange color, with an extremely creamy off white head which sticks around. The nose is sweet and slightly smoky malt forward with faint hops. The taste is the weakest component of this beer it is mirrors the nose sweet malts with some smokiness, well balanced, but nothing blows me away. The mouthfeel is creamy and dry. It would make a decent session brew.

4.43/5  rDev +28%

Poured into a Pilsner I picked up as a freebie with the 6er of the Sam Adams Irish Red I'm reviewing all amber/dark beers in this glass from now on.

A - Absolutely gorgeous amber body, arousing carbonation, and 3 finger head that diminishes over the course of drinking the glass leaving a detailed lace behind, reminding you of every sip you took.

S - Rich caramel malty goodness endowed with some sweet molasses on the end.

T - Caramel malts put on a show and absolutely work well with the advertised East Kent Goldings hops. Sam Adams has made a very loyal customer out of me.

M - Absolutely perfect carbonation, there's a little thickness and there's enough left on the palate for your senses to beg for more.

D - Superb beer at a good price. I'm HIGHLY recommending this to my beer-drinking friends!

I glanced at the presentation on the first pour and rushed through the scent to taste it on my first two bottles, but on the third I slowed enough to write this review. Every sip I took I was almost convinced that I've found my favorite beer. I had fallen in love with the mainstream Irish Red (Killian's) and I knew that I'd have to find another Irish Red when I got into actually caring about the beer I was drinking. I know there are others out there, and I'm hoping they can beat this one, but wow this is a great Irish Red.

2.56/5  rDev -26%

It pours into a pint glass with an average sized tan head. This beer is reddish-brown colored. It smells malty, but that's about all I can pick up since it's so overwhelming. No hops here. This beer tastes better than the smell, but not by much. It's malty up front followed by a dry, slightly bitter finish. Definitely drink this beer cold, as it gets worse as ti warms. However, the mouthfeel is decent, as the carbonation nice. The beer is a bit watery though. It's a low ABV, but the beer isn't that drinkable due to the overpowering sweetness. Definitely not the best Sam Adams out there.

4.25/5  rDev +22.8%

Thick red color, with a foamy rocky head that holds, that has a slight muted amber hue to off white. Aroma is mostly noble hops, with that fresh and unmistakable Sam character to it. Taste is spot on red ale, sweet toasted and tea like up front, with full flavors, and a hop bite that is true to style, a bit typical of Jim/SA's love for some spicy noble hops in the mix, but maintaining the ever-masterful balance without trying to be all about hops, which would not only be easier to brew, but is a common way to go and is the problem I have with the average microbrew reds--they're just boring red hop water. This blows most all of them away. Medium mouthfeel on tougue, as per style, and a tad high on carbonation.

Overall a fantastic brew! I find only one or two of Jim/Sam's brews outright unpleasant, a lot of it as "solid" if not my pick, and then a few select to be absolutely outstanding to my palate. This is one of the outstanding in my book. I can't say it edges out Rock Art Red in flavor, but besides for being nearly as stunning (in it's own way) this is way cheaper, easier to get (at the moment), and it knocked me out by exceeded my expectations when I took a single, so I'm paying my dues and stocking it. Cheers to Sam!

3.53/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured as a ruby red with a white foamy head that laced somewhat well for an irish red ale. Overall, rather pleased with the appearance.

Malty aroma predominated here and the aroma was mixed with the scent of toasted bread. Rather interesting...

Taste was a mix of flavors, from caramel malts and a fruity middle to a hoppy finish. Rather strange to get this combination but it certainly was interesting.

Mouthfeel was creamy, frothy, and had a bitter, hoppy finish to it. Overall, above average, but that finish detracted from the experience in my opinion. Although if you like that, you should definitely disregard my caveat.

Drinkability was above average. I would always finish this beer and would order it / drink it, but it wouldn't be at the forefront of my mind. Overall, it's a solid brew but I wouldn't say it's something to seek out tirelessly. Definitely give it a try though, if you can get ahold of it.

Only bad thing is it's only available in a mixed pack at the moment.

4.36/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Poured a deep red with a fairly thick caramel colored head. Some moderate lacing on the glass.

S - Nothing overpowering here, but the smells of caramel and toffee tones are there.

T - This is one of the sweeter irish reds I've had, but the hops do provide some balance to the sweet malty caramel flavor.

M - The smooth, creamy body and mild carbonation provide for a very pleasant mouth feel. This might be this beer's greatest strength.

D - Although this might be too sweet for some, this could be a solid session beer. The malty flavors make this a good cold weather brew, but its so easy going down I could drink this any season of the year. A very solid brew from Sam Adams.

4.5/5  rDev +30.1%

3.51/5  rDev +1.4%

A - Pours a very dark amber with a nice head

S - Very earthy tone, with some a touch of something fruity

T - The term liquid bread fits quite nice. Nice earthy flavor with a strong mineral note. Some caramel malt in there that gives you just enough sweetness. Finish was . . . Well what finish is more like it.

M - I will say it was smooth.

D - Ok you're at your local bar, and it's your buddy's birthday and you know you will be drinking all night long, this is a great choice. Not to powerful or flavorful, but better then say a macro.

This is not one of my favorites from Sam Adams but it is not bad.

3.05/5  rDev -11.8%

3.19/5  rDev -7.8%

A: Pours a ruby dark brown color with about a finger of head that goes away when you start drinking it.

S: Not good at all.. Just getting some kind of corn/pale malt smell that is not good

T: Dark malt flavor, like a dark fruit raisin taste with a little bittle of toffee

M: Little too carbonated for me, kind of bites the tongue. Leaves a dry taste in your mouth

D: Definitely could have plenty of these

Not something I would buy again

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

3.62/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a cranberry muddy red. A soapy beach nut head builds about 2 fingers thick and dissipates to a nice one finger thick layer atop the beer. The head clings to the side of the glass, leaving sheets of large and small bubble footprints along the side. Smell is earthy, floral, cherry, and green apples. Taste is cranberry, black pepper, celery, whole wheat bread... the cranberry and peppry flavors are a bit overpowering. Mouthfeel is sticky with medium body, and quite carbonated. The let down for me is certainly the taste. I was very excited to drink this after smelling it, but the taste didn't pull through how I would have liked. May be good with herb crusted chicken or... thanksgiving dinner.

3.8/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a clean pint glass.

A. Reddish golden color with off white head that poured about a finger thick and slowly reduced to a cap.

S. Sweet malts and a little bit of hops and yeast in the background. I can also smell a crayola crayon type of smell.

T. Pretty good red ale taste. Slightly roasted malts and some bittering hops, not sure of the type, but very balanced with malt up front.

M. Light and smooth with some caramely and candy like quality.

D. I would definitely buy some more of these.

3.88/5  rDev +12.1%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a rich, dark red color with about a half inch of white head.

S: Smells like strong caramel malt.

T: Very sweet caramel up front. Followed by some citrus hop bitterness.

M: Creamy with a medium body and moderate carbonation.

D: High.

Samuel Adams Irish Red from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.46 out of 5 with 2,559 ratings