Samuel Adams Irish Red | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Read the review
Samuel Adams Irish RedSamuel Adams Irish Red

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Irish Red Ale

Pale and Caramel malts, and East Kent Goldings hops.

Added by WilliamPhilaPa on 08-24-2007

Ratings: 2,543 |  Reviews: 1,013

3.77/5  rDev +5.9%

4.02/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a clear reddish color with a small white head. The aroma is caramel malt and fruit. The taste is just like the nose.

4.21/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

In a 12 varietal pack. Served in a Guinness glass. Not a lot of head and it dissipates fast with little lacing. But it tastes good! Pleasantly malty and not too thick like some, I'd say this is a good Irish Red from Sam Adam's and Jim Koch's team.

3.17/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

3.48/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.17/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I dont feel like over thinging this one. Here's the thing I like this beer but it is just ok. I have had it taste amazing some nights and barely drinkable others. I like the malt and hops character of this beer and that is what keeps me coming back despite some experiences I have had. Occasionally this beer has a metallic after taste for me like sucking on penny. I have checked the freshness date and have been mindfull of what I ate before hand. I have yet to figure out why this beer has such a split personallity with my palate.
The take away its an average irish ale at best that for me is always a gamble. I prefer Public House's Flynns Irish Red but it is seasonal and hard to find.

2.47/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

4.04/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz bottle,into a Cigar City pint glass.

Frothy,off white almost light khaki colored head,that stands just under 1 finger tall.Leaves a sticky lacing on the side of the glass.Light red / dark copper colored body,with medium clarity.Medium carbonation that moves at a fast pace.

On the nose I get a few different malt notes including: Earthy,sweet,and caramel.Not getting a whole lot of hops,with the exception of trace elements of pine.

The palate follows the nose with sweet,earthy,and caramel malts.Very very small presence of pine on the back end,but almost indiscernible.It has a nice sweet taste,without going overboard on sweetness.Pretty well balanced in my opinion.

Medium body,with a slightly sticky mouth feel.Moderate oxidation on the tongue,with a smooth finish.

This is another pretty solid beer by Sam Adams.I think you probably have to be a fan of the style to enjoy it,but fortunately I am a fan.Good beer by Sam Adams.I will definitely drink this one again.

Sam Adams Irish Red is not what I expected from its description of rich and malty on the bottle. Compared to my favorites, the Maple and Caramel Bock from a Sam Adams variety pack....this beer was NOT as rich and malty. It was not bad though and went down easily. Blows away Killian's for sure.

3.1/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

3.13/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.76/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.56/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.16/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Part of a 24-pack Sam's Club $26.49
Reddish Amber color
Medium mouthfeel
Medium carbonation
Caramel, malt taste. Kind of a muted taste. Not bold like I had expected.
Overall just ok. Not good enough that I would seek it out or buy a 6-pack of it, but good enough that I'll drink it without any complaints.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Samuel Adams Irish Red from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)