Samuel Adams Irish Red | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Read the review
Samuel Adams Irish RedSamuel Adams Irish Red

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Irish Red Ale

Pale and Caramel malts, and East Kent Goldings hops.

Added by WilliamPhilaPa on 08-24-2007

Ratings: 2,544 |  Reviews: 1,013
4.61/5  rDev +29.5%

A - More brown than red. Mahogany with a red tint. Head was small and faded fast.

S - Great mix of malts and hops with fruit accents. Peaches and Pears?

T - Excellent combination of flavors that blend together with ease. Nothing stands out alone. Fruits and malts with a hop finish leaving a slightly bitter after taste.

M - Slightly carbonated with a medium body. Slick on the tongue and lingers for a second.

D - Great great beer. I would love to try this on tap somewhere. I love the brewmaster's packs from Sam Adams. There are always great beers included in the set and I believe they nailed the Irish Red. 100% Should give this a shot when you find it. I am pretty sure you will love it too.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

My first ever BA review... there was some debate about which beer to pick, but after several tastings this has become my standby, and I can't imagine a better one. I personally don't care much for appearance or smell... I think they're given a bit too much weight in the rating, so I'll focus on what i know.

Taste: Sweet but in a rich way. Caramel is present right away, slowly fading away to a more earthy taste. Rich bread tastes, not the light bread of lagers but dark rye or strong sourdough baguette. This taste is so full and lasts a while, I'm still salivating 10 seconds after the sip. I almost want to chew the beer, it has such a grain taste. It's not as complex as a Trappist, but the flavors are extremely well balanced and leave you wanting more.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: goes down very easy, but the taste is there the whole time. You couldn't possibly describe it as watery, but you could chug it almost as easily as water, though it'd be a waste. Irish red ale and Vienna red lager are my favorite styles for combination of drinkability and taste. It's definitely smooth. There is noticeable but not strong carbonation.

I have had more complex beers that I know were "better" without being able to put my finger on quite why. I can't think of anything I would really want to improve about this beer. It's like a classic family dish, pot roast or lasagna. Not a 5 star restaurant, but rich and flavorful, and you'll never get tired of it.

$6.99 for a six pack across the border in Delaware, I can keep myself regularly stocked on a college student budget.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12 ounce bottle bought locally with July 2008 date. Very nice ruby color poured into a Sam Adams glass, smells great and taste the same. A very well balanced beer with excellent taste, this beer moves to the top of my favorites list...would and did buy another. :)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A nice surprise at the local beer store... getting in the mood for the third week of March, '08!

Served at fridge temperature in an imperial pint glass, best before July of this year.

Appearance- A gorgeous four finger head billows high over the deep, clear russet beer... the staying power of the crown alone is fantastic. Craggy and rugged, it laces heavily down the glass... Beautiful and one of the best I've seen for this style.

Smell- The East Kent Goldings hops almost fool me into betting this is an English pale ale... unbelievably fresh hop aromas combine with a gentle caramel malt nose and perfumy, floral character. Absolutely engaging.

Taste- Malty goodness abounds, laying a delicate sweetness across the tongue. As it opens, the hops bring the hardness and snap that balances out the malts perfectly. A bready fullness rounds out the finish and really slams the lid on a terrific ride. This beer is winning in all categories so far, and it's about to continue.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Designed as an all-day session brew for the big green holiday? Maybe... all I know is it's dynamic and easy at the same time, showing off the ingredients well and having enough balls to stand up to corned beef and cabbage with extra boiled potatoes. Way more impressive than I'd ever imagined for an unfairly perceived "boring" or ordinary style.

4.57/5  rDev +28.4%

A good beer from koch, brilliant red color, round and deep taste, floral and crushed hops smell.

I try this with a mexican enchiladas, and is the best thing that i do, the light chile flavor and the rounded irish red beer combined is the mos beautiful thing in south the border.

95% recommended.

4.57/5  rDev +28.4%

A: A reddish brown cooper color with a sizeable tan head.Looked very nice

S: Sweet smelling beer with a hint of caramel and malts.

T: The taste blew me away,it's got a warm taste to it which makes it best suited for fall and winter in my opinion.Very smooth and creamy but with a small amount of "spicy" bitterness.

M: Good mouth feel, nothing negative to say here.

D: Very drinkable. For an Irish Red this one ranks up there as one of the best in my opinion. Easy to drink and goes down nicely.

4.53/5  rDev +27.2%

The look of this beer is fantastic. LIttle head, very red look to it. The smell is of some kind of fruilt, maybe a blend of fruits. I just cant place it, but damn if it doesnt smell great. Mouthfeel is a bit watery but not grossly so. Taste...mmm. I can say that it tastes even better than it smells. I still cant place the citrusy/fruity taste but my taste buds like it a lot. The hops is there but not overpowering thankfully. Absoloutly no bitterness found in any part of the taste either. Usually with most sams, i get some kind of bitterness, either up front or after, but this i have absoloutly none.

I will buy this again, maybe even take the place of my current favorite.

4.52/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a crimson red with an off-white to white head that laces pretty well and succumbs to a thin but relentless layer of head. The nose smells strongly of cherry and nutty malt sweetness; almost identical to an amaretto. Taste falls into the same description as the nose. Mouthfeel is bright and has a polished carbonation. Overall, this beer is dead on to the style and is as easily quaffed as it is dissected and relished. I'm thinking this and Guinness make for a nice staple of cases for my St. Patty's get togethers.

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

Samuel Adams Irish Red from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)