Samuel Adams Dunkelweizen | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Read the review
Samuel Adams DunkelweizenSamuel Adams Dunkelweizen

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Dunkelweizen

Read the reviews.

Added by WilliamPhilaPa on 08-24-2007

2.35/5  rDev -34%

A: Pours a hazy sierra hue with a good, frothy head. Lighter in color than most in the style. Little lacing.

S: Yeasty aroma with a soft touch of lemon zest and banana.

T: Typical hefe taste with banana and soft spice, but not much of either. A bit too sweet and needs a bit more balance. Very light in flavor with a clean, watery finish.

M: Very light-bodied and missing the creamy density of a good German wheat beer. Moderate-carbonation.

D: Easy to drink and not particularly offensive, but this one falls far short of what I typically expect of a good dunkel in every category.

2.38/5  rDev -33.1%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. Very little head. No lacing. Unfiltered, but not cloudy. It's an appealing beer--nice to look at.

Smells malty with maybe a hint of banana somehow. Not great though.

Tastes harsh at first--took a few sips to warm up to it. Aftertaste of something like my grandmother's perfume. I am not enjoying the aftertaste. I get a sour taste too, which isn't unpleasant, but isn't enough to save this beer. There's a lot of complexity here, but it's just not good to my palate.

Mouthfeel is sharp at first, a little thicker than expected. Crisp at the finish, but then leaves a sort of coating in your mouth. It's interesting, but I am not a fan.

I probably would not drink this beer again, unless I didn't have any other real (beer) options.

2.42/5  rDev -32%

12oz bottle

App: A cloudy brown, akin to apple cider. A frothy white head that quickly dies

Smell: Similar scents to weizens, but the dark malt lends itself to an apple scent. A hint of flowery hops underneath. A nice blend of roasted malt and wheaty sourness.

Taste: Greeted by a slight sweetness that quickly fades. The main body of flavor is a very dry malt. Ends with a strong biting hop flavor. An almost watery aftertaste. An overall lacking flavor that is dominated by the bitterness of the hops.

The body is exceptionally crisp; not smooth enough for a weizen.

2.49/5  rDev -30.1%

I don't know what to say about this one. The taste is one of the most unique that I have had in a beer. It is also one that I did not like. I has a weird sweetness to it that I can't place. To me it was almost like cantelpope that was past ripeness. It also finished with a really odd aftertaste that I can't describe. I know that doesn't help but I just can't place it. Although it looks good in the glass it didn't have a multi-beer drink ability that I like. To be sure I had two and the second didn't go down any better than the first. It is obvious from the mostly favorable reviews that I am on the opposite side of the spectrum on this one.

2.54/5  rDev -28.7%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a weizen glass. Served cold.

A-amber body with gold tones and somewhat murky; off white head-thick

S-clove, veggie, floral, cereal

T-strong clove spice, lemon, faint banana

M-crisp, yet has body

D-dark hefeweizen or light dunkelweizen. This beer is nice and drinkable but not as flavorful as it could be.

2.63/5  rDev -26.1%

Two bottles are available in the Harvest Sampler 2010.

A- The color is muddy and dirty. The same color as the brown on the label. Its not super hazed, only slightly. The head is not as big and billowy as I want from this style.

S- Banana is there, which is nice. Its like over-ripe, bruised banana. Clove is minimal but its there. Im getting a hint of root beer. Its strange but not appalling.

T- More banana and light noble hops. Over all a bit weak.

Im not a fan of this one. Weinhenstephaner has a much, much better example.

2.69/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

The pour is darkish amber/copper with about an inch of cream colored head. Yes, there's banana and clove, but I got an overwhelming musty grass aroma. Some breadiness in the taste as well as the requisite banana and clove, but the musty funk carried over from the scent and incorporated itself into the flavor. It almost presents as a sour note. There's just something about the smell and taste that really rubs me the wrong way. Quite a bit of carbonation, but it had the feeling of some thickness after it went down, which was a plus. I won't go looking for this again.

Samuel Adams Dunkelweizen from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)