Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Samuel Adams Dunkelweizen | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams DunkelweizenSamuel Adams Dunkelweizen
3.49/5
Okay
Samuel Adams DunkelweizenSamuel Adams Dunkelweizen

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Dunkelweizen

Read the reviews.

Added by WilliamPhilaPa on 08-24-2007

4.25/5  rDev +21.8%

3.6/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle in to a pint glass

A- Pours a dingy orange color with a quarter inch, off-white head that vanishes almost immediately. No carbonation bubbles to speak of

S- I've never had a Dunkelweizen, but I can compare the smell to a very average Hefeweizen: soft fruit notes on the nose, mostly banana and raisin.

T- A pleasant surprise.. Darker fruits cover the palette to start, with a slight nip from carbonation/alcohol/sour fruits towards the end.

M- I like the feel on this one. Thicker than the previous two Sam Adams brews I just reviewed, starting creamy and smooth, and finishing with more bite.

O- This beer is up my alley, and I'd be happy to have another. It's my first of the style, and I don't assume it's a perfect representation. I plan on having more similar brews.

3.91/5  rDev +12%

Samuel Adams Dunkelweizen has a very thick, roiling, beige head, and a somewhat hazy, brown appearance, with lots of little streaming bubbles and a decent amount of lacing left behind. The aroma is of a coriander and banana whiff, brown bread, and spice. Taste is of sweet, brown bread, light molasses, coriander, a touch of bitterness, and a water back taste. The mouthfeel is high medium, and Samuel Adams Dunkelweizen finishes clean, semi-dry, and highly drinkable. Overall, this is very good, and I recommend checking it out.

RJT

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%

2.82/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured into a goblet. Dirty copper color with a thin head.
It smells like it wants to be a dunkel but it just needs some more practice. Wet hay and cherry smell.
Watery taste, an attempt at the malty sweetness and a short finish.
Descent texture. Smooth and fluffy with moderate carbonation.
An okay beer, not a good dunkel.

4.25/5  rDev +21.8%

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a Weiss flute. Served chilled...

A) This a light brown brew. There was about 2 fingers worth of creamy head. Good retention and above average lacing.

S) The wheat and yeast were the first notable scent. Then the expected banana and spices followed. There is some light chocolate and dark fruit on the nose too. The only minor drawback was just a little bit of an artificial aroma as this one settled.

T) Nice wheat and darker malt flavors,pleasantly bready with a little caramel. The yeast is notable along with light clove and some nutmeg. There's a banana chocolate chip muffin thing going on here. This has a lot of flavors going on, and still manages a nice clean finish.

M) Medium body + moderate carbonation. Fairly crisp, and very clean from an aftertaste standpoint. This one goes down easy.

O) A solid option in the 2012 fall variety pack. I think I would buy a six pack of this offering. Quite good... Glad to recommend...

3.48/5  rDev -0.3%

A: mahogany to dark brown. one finger fizzy light tan head which dissipates quickly leaving a slight layer of head on top. the beer is hazy and opaque with good carbonation.

S: Giving off some nice banana and clove flavors. Slight twang, metallic,caramel, bready, raisin, plum , spices, like cinnamon and nutmeg are also present. really nice

T: raisin, banana, clove and bread. tastes a lot like breakfast bread. fruitiness with a thick chewy bready malt backbone. there is some bubblegum too. there is a slight tartness from the yeast which is to style

M: thick, chewy mouthfeel, fizzy and carbonated. drinkable

O: not my favorite style, this one is a little too dark fruity and sweet for me. not bad to style though

2.75/5  rDev -21.2%

4.5/5  rDev +28.9%

3.51/5  rDev +0.6%

A- Dark caramel/toffee color. Thin head that dispersed rather quickly. Looks like my kind of beer.

S- Significant bubblegum smell that admittedly, I didn't pick up on until I read about others experiences. I suppose that's the clove. After that some wheat-like smell. Not really enjoying the smell once I picked up on the similarities to bubblegum. This is my first weizen, so I'm not sure if that's expected or not.

T- Like a wheaty Boston Lager with something sweet tacked on. Maybe it's a fruity taste, but I can't quite pinpoint it. It's more of an artificial tasting sweet than anything I can name.

M- Very smooth, very easy to drink. Carbonation seems moderate at most.

O- One of the better Samuel Adams I've had. It loses points on the smell but it's very enjoyable otherwise.

3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

Samuel Adams Dunkelweizen from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)