Samuel Adams Imperial White | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Imperial WhiteSamuel Adams Imperial White

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Witbier

Added by Jason on 01-16-2009

Ratings: 1,283 |  Reviews: 643

2.02/5  rDev -41.6%

I'm a big fan of Witbiers, but I was greatly disappointed in this beer. The amounts of hops in this overpowered everything about this beer. I could not taste any orange, coriander or any of the others spices associated with witbiers. I would not reccomend this beer.

2.03/5  rDev -41.3%

12oz bottle served in goblet.

pours a hazy light amber color while yielding a good finger of head; moderate lacing, retention. decent appearance. unfortunately it's all downhill from here.

the nose tends toward the fruity side with notes of lemon and orange - also a hefty dose of booze. big malt presence with some spice evident. taste? simply put, not good. a well-intentioned brew that falls flat. too boozy, too sweet... not layered at all. tried to like it, esp considering its cost, but ended up a drain pour. not for me.

original review on: 07-20-2010 21:35:16

2.04/5  rDev -41%

12oz bottle served in a goblet. pours a hazy, light amber color with a finger of head and moderate lacing. so far so good. the nose is fruity, boozy, and malty with some spice evident. taste? simply put, not good. a well-intentioned brew that falls flat. too boozy, too sweet. tried to like it, esp considering its cost, but ended up a drain pour. not for me.

2.1/5  rDev -39.3%

This beer had a cloying maple syrup flavor that was surprising and a bit unpleasant. I found myself wishing that I could have the other flavors that this beer offers without the sweetness. It's not without its merits -- the syrupy flavor I found so overwhelming had woody and brown-sugary notes that tasted good with salty food. It's definitely a beer that you'll want to drink with snacks, though I'm not sure if it would complement a real meal. I quickly got tired of the sheer sweetness, though, and couldn't get through an entire beer.

2.11/5  rDev -39%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a N'Ice Chouffe stem beerflute in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average; I don't think I've had Samuel Adams' imperial series before and I tend to like witbiers.

Served refrigerator cold. Acquired at Ralph's market.

A: Pours a two finger head of fair cream, nice thickness, and great retention for the high ABV. Colour is a hazy nontransparent copper. Strange looking for a witbier, but I'll go with it.

Sm: Heavy malt content, with some orange esters and clove. A bit like a tripel, actually. Some yeasty notes - which I didn't expect. Not like any witbier I've ever had. A moderately strong aroma.

T: Lemon and orange esters over a clean malt foundation. Clove. Quite simple, but pleasant. No layering. A bit heavyhanded, especially for the style. Doesn't feel fully fermented by any means. Some yeast comes through, but no alcohol. Poorly built for the style. Imbalanced. I'm not very fond of it at all.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the style and the flavours generally. A touch too thick for what the flavours require. By no means overcarbonated.

Dr: I find it difficult to consume on account of its rather poor quality. This is built all wrong for the style, even if it's "imperial". The extra malt required to increase the ABV severely damaged the flavour profile. Now I know why I've never seen an imperial witbier before; it's a terrible idea. Not refreshing at all.

What happened to the delicate lemon tinges and refreshing character of the style? This is a disgrace, especially from Sam Adams.

D

2.14/5  rDev -38.2%

Concur with other reviewers about nice appearance and mouthfeel. I drink witbeer routinely but in this case the cardamom completely overwhelms everything else. There is nothing subtle about the flavor, it is just cardamom. I found it nearly undrinkable and returned the unused bottles. Not one of their better efforts.

2.17/5  rDev -37.3%

No aroma whatsoever. As Gary V would say...Aromatically challenged. The initial attack is promising with some coriander, sugar, hint of orange. Then....nothing....then....what is that god awful finish? What is that nasty aftertaste? What is that 9.3% smacking me upside the head for?

Oh well...I had to try it.

2.17/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Pours a hazy orange-ish color with yellow hints and an off white head. In the aroma, quite spicy, cinnamon, dry alcohol, kind of like rubbing alcohol. In the taste, orange and or coriander, a cinnamon spice and dry alcohol all the way through. A smooth and medium to big bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dy orange citrus and spice in the aftertaste. Alcohol is too big, kind of smells of rubbing alcohol or like hairspray.

2.18/5  rDev -37%

To be blunt, this beer blows. It's sweet and has an over-the-top alco-boozy taste that lingers like you just took a swig of isopropyl from the medicine cabinet. No wait, that might actually taste better. Mouthfeel and appearance are fine so maybe just look at it in the glass and then go get something better to drink.

2.18/5  rDev -37%

This poured a disconcertingly bright orange with a heady scent of sweet wheat and didn't get much better. I found it overly sweet, kind of like a chocolate orange had been dunked in eggnog and left us with a weirdly cloying mouthfeel and no hop bitterness to mention. Actually became a drain pour in the back half.

2.19/5  rDev -36.7%

Blech. Had higher hopes for this stuff. Bought a single at Goldstein's in Kingston PA. Poured into a hoegaarden glass (hey, it's a white, right?) First sniff, real boozy and not pleasant. Taste, very sweet but too boozy. Not a chugger. Very disappointed! Who knows though, it may have been skunked sitting in a singles shop.

2.2/5  rDev -36.4%

A: Foggy orange, small head that quickly dissipates. Medium lacing.
I liked the color though but I was surprised that it was so dark. That should have been the first warning to me.

S: Spicy, Citrusy and wheat... lets not forget alcohol. This thing reeks of alcohol.

T: Very alcohol taste to it. I can barely taste anything else. A little bit of citrus but the alcohol is slapping me in the face. Witbiers normally have a nice complex taste but all I can seem to taste is hot hot alcohol and coriander. A big big disappointment for me being a Wit fan.

M: Full and thick. Medium to high carbonation.

D: Not very drinkable due to the high ABV.

I think Sam Adams tried to outdue themselves with the 10.3 ABV. Take it down to the normal Wit % of 5ish and this is probably a good beer.

I drank probably 1/2 to 3/4s of it and then it got a drain pour.
It's just a rough taste that I don't like. The last sip made me gag and then I figured it was time to get rid of it.

2.22/5  rDev -35.8%

The beer pours a hazy copper color, had a white head but faded fast. The smell of the beer is of booze and licorice. The taste stars out with a weird sweet taste, but is boozy all the way through. The sweetness tastes like possibly wheat, with some caramel sweetness. The mouthfeel is medium, and the carbonation is low. Overall it is drinkable, but I guess im not overall impressed with this one.

2.25/5  rDev -35%

A - Barely any head on a vigorous pour. Copper hazy body. No lacing to speak of.

S - Faint sweet fruit smell mingled with what smells a bit like the fault dms. Very faint smelling in general.

T - Hello alcohol. Very boozy up front. Very sweet tasting. Banana, and other mingled fruits throughout. Not much else going on though.

M - A still beer, not much carbonation bite. A mediocre amount of alcohol burn.

O - Not the best Sam Adams on the market. Way to sweet, and way to boozy for me. Nothing like the complex delicacies found in your standard witbier.

2.25/5  rDev -35%

The head, while snowy white, is not the presence that I expect from a witbier. The cloudy deep orange body is pretty but, once again, I expect something a bit lighter in this style.

Not the corriander/lemon combo I usually get but rather a sort of iced tea with orange peel. Weird but nice. The first sniff actually smells like salt water taffy!

First of all, it's not a bad beer, it just isn' all that close to anything witbier-ish. It actually ends up tasting like a fruitier weizenbock. Unlike the Southampton Double White, though, there just isn't enough groundbreaking to make up for the stylistic deviance. No real spice to speak of and the malt body is so huge that it actually borders on cloyingly sweet. As it warms it becomes peach/mango-like at times and there is a bit of spice that desperately wants to break through but it's bludgeoned by the malt. Nice try.

Mouthfeel borders on syrupy before the carbonation has a chance to cut through it. I'm really glad to have tried this but it's going to be difficult finishing just the one bottle. A good idea, there just had to be a better way of going about it.

EDIT: the warming alcohol and the mouthfeel were both so intense that by the time I neared completion this bottle's contents were nearly undrinkable. Strike what I said earlier about this not being "a bad beer." It is.

2.25/5  rDev -35%

Samuel Adams Imperial White from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)