Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Blackberry WitbierSamuel Adams Blackberry Witbier

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Witbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-18-2009

Ratings: 1,634 |  Reviews: 675
2.38/5  rDev -29%

Appearance - Psycho carbonation, small foamy head, dark golden color, slightly transparent instead of fully opaque as I expected from a 'wit'. Laces nicely.

Smell - Blackberry is heavy in the nose and its pretty much smothering every other aroma in there, which I cannot identify but only detect their presence. I suppose its interesting.

Taste - The blackberry flavor is up and center, but I'm trying really hard to dissect whats behind it. The finish is malty but not wheaty. The way the flavors mix results in a slight medicinal taste. I can't say I like this.

Mouthfeel - Feels like a wit.

Drinkability - The flavor just makes this completely undrinkable for me. SOrry.

3.65/5  rDev +9%

Pours a hazy golden color with a small head that leaves minimal lacing. The nose is very sweet and very strong of blackberries with a little bit of malt. The taste is a fair balance between blackberries and malt. Also very sweet. Decent mouthfeel and good drinkability, this beer was made to be refreshing on a hot summer day, which is does a great job of doing, much better than the summer ale in my opinion.

4.34/5  rDev +29.6%

Very hazy light gold colored body. Fairly big white head disappears pretty quickly. Still leaves some lace behind. The scent is your typical wit smell, with a nice dose of blackberries. Same for the taste: nice refreshing belgian wheat backed by a nicely blended blackberry finish. Nice fairly full and soft mouth. Very refreshing. I'm not normally huge on wits, but this one i really enjoy.

2.46/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A. Pours a hazy orange with a thick white foamy head that sticks around, but leaves no lacing.

S. Subtle sweet fruity smell - almost like cotton candy.

T. Malt base with a fairly unpleasant fake fruit taste; they claim blackberry, but it tastes more like a very watered down grape Kool-Aid to me with little else.

M. Acceptable mouthfeel. Medium level of carbonation - good for a summer BBQ.

D. Refreshing, but that's about the only good news.

I hate that I'm always forced to get something I don't want in order to purchase the combination pack. I didn't expect much out of this and I wouldn't buy it again. I hope the Latitude 48 is worth it.

3.32/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a golden color with orange hues, small white head that leaves quite quickly, no lacing.

Smell has a tinge of blackberry fruitiness melded within the dominate malt backing.

Taste is as expected, mostly malt with a light aftertaste of fruit, namely the blackberry, not fruity or sweet enough to be a fruit beer, not yeasty/wheaty enough to be a witbier, falls somewhere in between and wish it would be more of both, carbonation is crisp though and it goes down quickly, sadly the gimmick of the blackberry needs to be stronger in order to work.

2.81/5  rDev -16.1%

12 oz.

Pours a golden cloudy wheat color with a fluffy white head. The head dissipated quickly but left some lacing.

Mild scents of fruity malts and some faint grains.

Tastes like a sugary wit. The sweetness is subdued but artificial. Overall the beer is a little mild in terms of taste.

Soft carbonation throughout. Semi-thin body.

Meh, I'm hard to impress with fruit beers but I thought this one left a lot to be desired. Too sugary to enjoy a lot of. One isn't terrible though.

3.68/5  rDev +9.9%

poured into perfect pint

A: pours slightly cloudy yellow to light orange with a finger and a bit more foamy head that is lacing very well
S: blackberry then a bit of wheat and malt. a light hint of yeast
T: as expected blackberry, malt is lightly sweet not over powering, yeast is also light yet present.
M: smooth and almost silky, medium carbonation
D: went good with the angel food cake i had with it, great dessert beer.

3.28/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into my favorite beer glass as an opaque amber color began to appear... Small unimpressive head.

Smell: Pure sour fruity smell along with a hint of sweet malt.

Taste: Slight bitterness as fruit comes through on the flavor, but not as sweet as the nose suggests. Wheat undetones present but very weak at the end.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated feel as it overpowers all other flavors. Very dry at tarty.
At times it feels like cabonated water.

Overall, this brew could have its place in the fridge on a very hot day as it is refreshing. Slightly disappointed, at least they could make it more balanced.

3.28/5  rDev -2.1%

A-Had a pretty intriguing pale orange-yellow color that was extremely opaque, though it could come off as almost milky.

S-Blackberry dominant with hints of spice.

T-Excellent for a fruit beer, as the blackberry was subtle and not at all overwhelming as fruit beers tend to be.

M-Honestly, not a lot going on here. The blackberry was more pronounced after swallowing, so just some hints of spice.

D-I could pull of one or two of these, but in the long run it would be too sweet.

2.61/5  rDev -22.1%

A: One finger head. Golden with orange hues, hazy.
S: Very sweet, some citrus, blackberry.
T: Very sweet again, grainy some blackberry, but its not really pleasant.
M: Decent mouthfeel, smooth and crisp, but kind of flat.
D: The blackberry makes this one hard to finish.

I love wits and I like some fruity beers but this one didnt work for me. This Wit would be much better w/o the blackberry

3.53/5  rDev +5.4%

One of the crafts from Sam Adams, this beer is a decent fruit infused beer. It doesnt seem as perfected as some of the more common SA brews, but definitely drinkable and at a good price point. I have to agree with the reviewer below me... this was just part of a craft pack and not sure I would grab it by itself unless my wife picked it out.

The smell hints at the berry, slightly orangey, and spice. Great start to the experience

Tastes of berry, sweetness, with little malt or hop characteristics. Maybe some orange notes in there.

Highly drinkable and mouthfeel is pretty standard.

Definitely worth a shot if you find it on your store shelf.

3.15/5  rDev -6%

This came in a variety pack. And I'll confess, I would never have bought a 6-pack of this in the first place.

A=Pleasing apple-juice kind of color. Thin head dissipates to practically nothing fairly quickly.

S=I would be a lot more excited if my dessert smelled like this.

T=There are sweeter wits, and there are more cloying ones, but it's rare to find one that conceals its beer taste as effectively as this one. Which is great if you aren't thrilled by the taste of beer, although if you're on this site I doubt this is the case.

M=Rather thin carbonation guarantees an easy finish. Beers like this shouldn't go down so fast. I couldn't catch any of the head fast enough.

D=A beer for people who love cobbler. Nice to have in the fridge when you're having a certain kind of company over. And a whole lot better than Cranberry Lambic for anyone.

3.28/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: nice rich golden color with a decent head that doesnt last very long.
Smell: nice aroma of blackberries and not too sweet either.
Taste: Upfront a very good strong seedy blackberry flavor but their is little else to really compliment it. There arent a lot of flavors outside of that so its just a very light flavor.
Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Very crisp and refreshing, easy too drink and enjoyable on a hot summer day.

3.57/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance: Cloudy golden color with a bit of foam. This actually kind of has a purple tint to it, something I've never seen. It's darker than any other Sam Adam's wheat beer.

Smell: Smells basically like blackberries. It's not disimilar from Leinie's Berry Weiss even though it looks tons different. There's a yeasty bread smell there also. I like this.

Taste/Mouthfeel: I wasn't crazy about this at first, but I now like it. It's refreshing, more so than Cherry Wheat or Coastal Wheat. Pretty sweet, not too carbonated. It is a bit watery on the downside. Also feels and tastes like alcohol which I'm not wild about.

Drinkability: Above average. Refreshing, almost seems like it goes better in the fall. I approve.

Overall: I'm definitely on the fence with this beer. It's more "authentic" than Berry Weiss, but not necessarily better. I know it's hard to compare these two beers beyond the use of berries, so to be fair, I rate these about the same.

3.62/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got thisone in a mix pack. As a result, i've bought it since.

It pours a clear golden with hints of orange and haze. A small, well maintained head with good carbonation and some lace.
The aroma is nice and aided by the carbonation and light body of the brew. Berry dominated the sence of smell. Slight citric malts for back-up.

The taste is alittle hop, alittle more malt and even more on the berry. Note: morelike unsweetened berry, alittle tart.

The mouth picks up the tart of berry rather than a sting of strong hop.

Drinkability is there, tartness does stand out but alittle sweetness wouldn't hurt.
Overall a nice addition to Sams line-up next to cherry-wheat.

3.79/5  rDev +13.1%

I tend to stay away from fruit beers, but since I like to check out various brews and saw this for the first time I figure what the heck. The look is average, but what I found was a good balance between the fruit and wheat. It has a very distinctive flavor which in itself I find enjoyable. It is not as smooth as other fruit beers, but it is close, and the best part is the fruit does not dominate the taste.

2.98/5  rDev -11%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle

A: Hazy goldenrod body. Small, white head that looks a lot like soap bubbles. Thin lacing on the glass.

S: Slight fruitiness with a bit wheat. I don't get a whole lot in the way of aroma.

T: Hits me upfront with fruit. I wouldn't say blackberries, more like that "blue raspberry" flavor you find in a lot of candies nowadays. Finishes with okay wheaty notes. Hops aren't really present here.

M: Well carbonated and pretty light bodied, but what I would expect for a good summer brew. Best part of the brew by far.

D: If it was closer to summer I might give this a slightly higher rating. The beer isn't bad by any means but not something I would want to have regularly at all. After the couple of bottles in the sampler pack, I don't need to have anymore for a little while.

3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured a golden amber color.

Aroma was mostly berry, but I also detected some hints of orange, malt and yeast.

Taste, as was the smell, was dominated by the berries. That being said, I didn't find the berries to be overbearing. I tasted some tartness to the likes of lemon peel, and towards the end a nice hops bitterness came through making this a fairly balanced brew.

This was a decent brew and I think it compliment the rest the brews in the seasonal pack I had.

3.58/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a clear golden color with nice head and sticky lacing.
Smells of tainted burnt fruit, nothing like blackberrys. Thick and creamy in the mouth, not chewy, leaves a full feeling and thickness in the throat going down.
This is very clean for a wit, its smooth, finishes sweet and slighlty bitter. You can get a hint of "fruit" if you swish in the mouth, fairly hoppy and malty. Will drink again, but not one to drink a lot of.

4.24/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A nice golden wheat color with a white head of probably about two fingers thick.
The aroma was of a nice berry that went along well with the beer, and it was noticeable across the table.
The taste, like the aroma had a nice taste of the berry that like the aroma went well with the hops flavor that is present in most Sam Adams
It was a very drinkable beer, went down easy and very savory, it was hard not to drink it quickly.

Blackberry aroma is noticeable as soon as the cap is pried open and wafts about the head when poured. A low white head covers the cloudy, light golden amber brew which emerges as the head recedes, leaving a ring of bubbles and a little lacing.

The hint of tart blackberry is just enough to flirt with the tip of the tongue while the rest of the wit carbonates softly on the palate as the wheat comes through with a modicum of hop bitterness. A pleasant, yeasty, dry-oaken blackberry flavor lingers on the back palate and throat.

Sufficiently complex to accompany gourmet vegetarian pizzas such as sun-dried tomatoes, feta and basil on focaccia over a virgin olive oil-based sauce.

3.65/5  rDev +9%

A- Relatively clear, big time visible carbonation. Dark gold colored, and a big frothy white pillow head. Not bad.

S- Whew, berries of course. Unlike the Cherry Wheat, which had a cough-syrup smell, this reminds me of IHOP's delicious blueberry pancake syrup. Fairly rich smell, I'm looking for blackberry seeds floating in here. Hard to reach any malt smells, but I think I can sense the soft wheat sweetness in there. Will certainly a little candy-like, I can't say I don't like the smell. It makes me want to drink it, which is what a good smelling beer does.

T- Sweet and tart berries, finishing on tart dryness. Not bad, not great. Refreshing and uplifting of course, but also bland and rather flat.

M- A lot of carbonation. but pulls smoothly from the glass and swirls well with the sweet/sour tastes.

D- Well, this finishes pretty dry. I can't say I would want to drink a lot of these. I think this would be great after a a bike ride, a reinvigorating beer. In that sense, this beer is a winner.

3.85/5  rDev +14.9%

Lightly hazed light gold with a moderate sized head. Nose has berries and a hint of wheatiness. Flavour is berries of course, and a tart-sweet edge. Fairly substantial body, crisp wheaty twang and a mildly bitter finish. Easy drinking, refreshing brew.

4.15/5  rDev +23.9%

After the cranberry lambic fiasco I am wary about trying other Sam Adams fruit brewed beers but I will try anything once... Poured a hazy purplish color with a nice chewy look to it. Smelled of mild blackberries with some wheatiness. Taste was smooth as silk with a nice, not too sweet, blacckberry curtain with nice wheat esters and good balance. This is a sharp contrast to the cranberrry lambic. Reminiscent of Hoegaarten infused with blackberry and oh so quaffable. Cheers!

3.7/5  rDev +10.4%

poured into an imperial pint

a-cloudy dark, tones of indigo, nice think two finger foam that leaves a some lacing

s-complex fruit, can quickly smell blackberry and blueberry, with hints of orange, scent prepare the palate nicely

t-the smell does not transfer to the taste, taste is overwhelmingly fruiting and loses the complexity anticipated from the smell. however the blackberry is a nice fruity complement to for wheat, I was just hoping for the complex taste the smell prepare me for.

m-strong blackberry tones, develops nicely in the mouth

d-too much fruit flavor to be satisfying, more of a desert beer

Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)