Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Blackberry WitbierSamuel Adams Blackberry Witbier
Liked This Beer
3.29 w/ 1,635 ratings
Samuel Adams Blackberry WitbierSamuel Adams Blackberry Witbier

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

3.29/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,635 |  Reviews: 675
3.7/5  rDev +12.5%

poured into an imperial pint

a-cloudy dark, tones of indigo, nice think two finger foam that leaves a some lacing

s-complex fruit, can quickly smell blackberry and blueberry, with hints of orange, scent prepare the palate nicely

t-the smell does not transfer to the taste, taste is overwhelmingly fruiting and loses the complexity anticipated from the smell. however the blackberry is a nice fruity complement to for wheat, I was just hoping for the complex taste the smell prepare me for.

m-strong blackberry tones, develops nicely in the mouth

d-too much fruit flavor to be satisfying, more of a desert beer

3.27/5  rDev -0.6%

A- Clear, golden body with a tall, white head.

S- Smell of blackberries, lemon peel some yeast.

T- Wheaty malt up-front with notes of lemon, then the blackberry comes in towards the finish. The blackberry is much more subdued than I expect, which I like, but it's a bit artificial in taste.

M- Medium to light body with an assertive carbonation.

D- Interesting fruity beer, but nothing I'd go back for.

3.28/5  rDev -0.3%

The beer was poured into a goblet. It had the look of a nice witbier, cloudy, creamy head, nice cap of foam, but with a faint purple tint to it.
The aroma is blackberry and a faint witbier profile. It is hard to pick up any other aroma over the fruit. The aroma is fairly pleasant though.
The taste follows suit with the nose. There is a faint wit taste lurking behind the fruit taste. Tart, slight sweetness, almost a tart raspberry-ness to the beer. Maybe a little citrus as well.
The beer feels like a decent wit, good carbonation, a creamy feel, nice finish.
Overall, not a bad beer. I'll drink it again. One in a night would do for me though.

3.27/5  rDev -0.6%

A-Cadmium Orange colored...minimal head

S-Light fresh blackberries covered in sugar...a good Malted wheat aroma too

T-Interesting...don't get any real whit beer notes....tastes more like an American Wheat flavored with blackberries. The blackberries are subtle and not overpowering or artificial. I'm not quite sure on the variety but my best guess would be Marion Blackberries from Oregon.

M-Medium to light medium bodied...decent carbonation

D-I've got mixed thoughts on this one...an OK berry flavored beer but I was hoping for much more with the combination of blackberries and whit beer base...decent enough as a fruit beer but does not have any whit beer characteristics. Never the less I'm just about drooling thinking about pairing this with a fresh lobster salad.

3.92/5  rDev +19.1%

This pours a slightly hazy golden amber.

Not a whole lot of carbonation, but enough

Nose is definitely fruity. I've never had blackberries, so I can't tell what they smell like, but the closest thing I can think of is dark raspberry.

Taste is crisp with a definite fruity flavor. The fruit flavor is just hinted at, just right. I have had SA's Cherry Wheat, which I thought the cherry was too strong, but this time they got it right with this one, IMHO. Nice clean finish.

This would be a perfect beer to have after mowing the lawn on a hot summer day.

3.42/5  rDev +4%

Out of a bottle this beer was a clear, apricot color with one finger of beige foam that quickly receded to a thin collar. The lacing was barely noticeable.. The aroma was of artificial blackberries, wheat and hints of crystal malt. Totally fruit dominated. The flavors were better than the aroma, showing more dynamic characteristics and less artificial notes from the berries. Though the blackberry came clearly through it was tangy and balanced by the pale/crystal malt middle and a slight bitterness from the hops. The finish was long, really coating my tongue with the berry flavor. The mouthfeel was average, the body light and the carbonation good. Very similar to the Blackberry Wheat made famous by Long Trail only with more gumption and less artificial notes. Refreshing, summery and crisp but neither complex nor impressive. But if you're trying to get girls, especially college girls, drunk, don't miss it!

3.52/5  rDev +7%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: very light golden orange color with a finger of rapidly dissipating white foam. I understand that adding blackberry could cause the color to darken, but it's not very white for a witbier. Still, not un-appetizing or anything.

Smell: a light, slightly sour berry aroma. It kind of reminds me of a Craigmill Scottish gruit. It's only slightly identifiable as blackberry. As a witbier, it's not normal, but it is interesting in its own right.

Taste: again, I'm reminded of Craigmill Grozet or somesuch. It is not bad, but it reminds me neither of witbier nor blackberries. It is still worth a try, however.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a hefty level of carbonation. Pretty creamy, considering; I rather like this aspect of the brew.

Drinkability: as a light wheat beer, Blackberry Witbier is not hard to drink. It's a bit difficult to classify, style-wise, but overall is not a bad beer.

3.87/5  rDev +17.6%

Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier was a hazy amber color with a small white head that dissipated before I could type these words.

The aroma was very evident as a kind of floral/berry, not bad, but more like a perfume.

The taste was an artificial berry (whether blackberry or not I couldn't tell), but it worked reasonably well. Thankfully, this was not just a sweet beer; a prominent tartness was probably what saved it.

The mouth feel was light bodied with enough carbonation to do the job.

Drinkability was very good; in fact, I have had several of these over the past two months. They make a good change of pace from the hop or malt bombs.

I was surprised that I enjoyed Blackberry Witbier as much as I did, not being a fan of fruit beer or witbiers.

1.75/5  rDev -46.8%

I haven't tried a Sam Adams beer since I tried the Cherry Wheat beer eight months ago (before I started to develop a taste for good beer) and so I thought I would give it a shot since I didn't think the Cherry Wheat was all that bad.
Was I wrong!
This beer tastes like a "berry" flavored bud light. Actually, I would say that it doesn't taste like a beer at all; it tastes like a Mikes Hard Berry malted beverage. I was definitely not impressed.
Poor head retention, you couldn't even smell the malts or grains because it was overpowered by what I assume is the artificial "berry" flavoring. The body was very light and if it didn't taste so awful it would be very drinkable (recommend to women who like Mikes?). It tastes very sugary. Definitely doesn't "taste" like beer. I could only drink one because it made me feel so nauseous, just like a malted wine cooler or a Mikes Hard would.
Do not recommend. Don't waste your money! I still have 5 left that I'll end up dumping down the drain.

4.21/5  rDev +28%

(12 oz bottle into pint glass) Surprisingly I really enjoyed this one. I was afraid of the standard Sam Adams hoppiness overpowering everything in what should be a fruit beer, but it didn't! Poured a beautiful amber color with a small head that fell fast. The nose was very much of the fruit, but also a little bit of earthiness that prevented this from smelling like a fruit syrup, which is a downfall of some. this went down very smooth, with a nice creaminess and lively carbonation bringing out a lot of the fruitness in the beer. The trademark hops were present right at the end, giving the beer a nice crisp finish that was almost palate cleansing. great job on this one!

3.8/5  rDev +15.5%

12oz bottle poured into a chilled pint glass.

A: Pours a medium yellow with hints of orange. Slightly cloudy but not as much sediment as I normally see in most witbiers. A real nice head but it doesn't hang around long and the lacing is sparse at best.

S: Very fruity but it doesn't scream blackberry. Also lots of wheaty bread and some sweetness.

T: A nice bit of carbonation. The fruit flavor is apparent but not overwhelming. It's not really as sweet or as fruity as the nose would make you think. It finishes rather sharp but not bitter. Overall it's well balanced.

M: Lots of bubbles which is nice, not a whole lot of body otherwise.

D: I find this to be a really refreshing beer on the warmer days. It doesn't quite do the same for me when it's cold outside. I typically like ot start off on one or two of these and then increase the darkness of the beer from there. A solid Boston Beer Company Brew.

4.05/5  rDev +23.1%

This beer is fun and different than the usual, get the blackberry going, light, relatively smooth easy drinking beer. I wouldn't want to have more than a few, or buy a case of it but I'd buy a six pack and throw it in the mix every so often. Not too strong of a fruity taste, subtle but you know its there.

3.47/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly yellowish-orange. Clear with an almost white head 1 1/2" high that drops to a thick, slightly chunky film.
Smell is malt, wheat, blackberry, lemon, yeast.
Taste is malt, yeast, lemon & blackberry.
Nicely effervescent not bitter. A nice refreshing crispness orbits with some lingering malt and yeast notes. Agood brew and nice to see blackberry in beer.

3.94/5  rDev +19.8%

This poured a golden/copper colour. Smell was of weak blackberries with some wheat notes, and the taste follows the smell. Mouthfeel was light and refreshing, and it was very drinkable, I could drink these all day. Overall, a great beer to drink during the summer months.

2.58/5  rDev -21.6%

The beer poured a yellowish-brown with a somewhat sticky head . The aroma is bursting with imitation blackberry. Notes from the wheat manage to get through, but mostly the blackberry-ish aromas.

More faux blackberry in the flavor. Some wheat character is there too. The mouthfeel is fine, typical of the wheat style.

The more I drink, the more I am reminded of grape soda.

2.85/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Crossed between a golden lager coloring and a dulled, yeasty Hefe haziness. The head is deep and angry off the pour, then quickly mellows, but still retains a little bit of its previous luster.

S: Potent perfume. Almost overwhelming potpourri. Smells fabricated and could certainly bring on a headache. Not recommended for the future of your olfactory sense.

T: After such an overbearing, ass-kicker of a nose, the taste is surprisingly relaxed. The fruit (blackberry?) is certainly there, as well as an earthy middle. A brief citrus finish, which abruptly falls off the edge of a cliff. Although pleasant overall, there is a slight medicine aftertaste, and a failure to make up for the overwhelming nose.

M: Somewhat milky, and denser than other Whites. Carbonation is active and well-balanced. The brew's best feature.

D: Two or three in a sitting, but because of the pungent, potpourri punch to the nose preempting each sip, for myself, three would be the limit.

3.47/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane - I've forgotten the price. Acording to the label, it should be consumed this month at the latest.

Poured into a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass, this beer has a honey-ish color, is moderately clear and initially had a big, beige-colored head that quickly subsided to a foam ring atop the beer. Streaks of lace here and there.

Fruity in both sweet and tart ways, this smells very much like I'd expect a beer brewed with blackberries to smell. While it smells good, there isn't much in the way of a witbier going on here, besides a very faint whiff of something coriander-like that's way in the background.

Fruity yet crisp tasting. I had assumed it would taste like being smacked over the head by a sweet shovel, but it's better balanced than I expected. While the sweet and tart aspects of blackberries are well-balanced, this doesn't seem much like a wit. I'm getting only a very small amount of a coriander-like spiciness in the flavor. Modestly dry at the swallow.

Fairly light in the body, and well-carbonated. Slightly coating moouthfeel.

A decent fruit beer, as such things go. I'm not even going to attempt to view it as a wit. It might be refreshing to drink a couple of bottles of this on a hot day rather than in the middle of a Spokane winter, but I wouldn't want more than a couple. I was glad that the blackberry flavor wasn't too cloyingly sweet, but this beer wasn't too terribly exciting, and I won't feel the need to seek it out again.

3.65/5  rDev +10.9%

Hazy apricot body with a thick finger of off-white head. The rapidly receding foam is an unwelcome sight, offering a merely decent presentation when, based on the color, this had considerably more potential.

The smell is rather sweet, with fruity esters predominating. Blackberry and cherry move to the fore. I expected a sweet-tart combination with the taste, but the flavor is mainly sweet--not cloying, not syrupy, but basically sweet in a pleasant, but basic and straightforward flavor. The best part of Blackberry Wit is the mouthfeel, a light airy texture that atones for a decent but uncomplicated taste.

A decent beer, but not one that I would expect to garner considerable attention as a sixer. Not bad overall, decent Wit--moderately fruity, sweet, but one that could use a little bite to add a more complex flavor.

2.58/5  rDev -21.6%

This beer although advertised as blackberry doesnt really taste like it aside from an initial hint of something vaguely resembling fruit.

Way too overcarbonated and bland. If its given to me I suppose I could drink one because it was smooth overall but I doubt I will go out of my way to buy this again.

On the other hand my girlfriend (an avid beer drinker bordering on enthusiast) was very impressed with this beer for basically the same reasons I dislike it.

3.1/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Got a 6 pack as a gift.

Pours a honey orange with a small short lived white head leaving no lacing.

Smells like orange and coriander, oh wait was that blackberry? At any rate it just smells fruity with some spice.

THe taste is pretty awful, tastes like watery bread with a hint of fruit. Although it tastes like bread soaking in water it is ultra carbonated.

It doesn't taste that great but you could easily chug one of these, but why woudl you want to? Not too good.

3.86/5  rDev +17.3%

Once served in my Bayern Pilsener glass:

A: Cloudy yellow color, like a mango, perfect foamy head with two fingers thick, good lacing;

S: Perfumed with hops and notes of blackberry and wheat;

T: Blackberry and bubble gum are the predominant flavor, also with citrus hops;

M: Refreshing, medium carbonation, light body, sometimes it feels like a grape soda;

D: Very light fruit beer, tasty because i have always loved the blackberries, but if so, would have lower skill levels.

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

A- Pours a hazy brown orange color, with a small head that quickly recedes, and lots of carbonation rising up.

S- Sweet smell, with strong berry smell, citrus, and wheat

T- Very strong blackberry taste, not as authentic as I had hoped, kind of syrupy, and hints of cirtus and wheat

M- Pretty carbonated, smooth, and tart

D- There are much better options for a good fruit brew, but I did enjoy drinking this beer.

2.9/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured from the bottle into my sam adam's pint glass.

It poured a orangish color, which was cloudy. Minimal head, that didn't leave much lacing behind.

Smell - Very, very sweet. A berry scent is definitely noticeable for sure. Doesn't smell too bad.

Taste - The taste of the black berry isn't noticed till afterwards, more so as an aftertaste. There isn't much to notice till it goes down.

Mouthfeel - this one is on the creamy side. Definitely a bit syrupy and smooth feeling. It also has a touch of carbonation. not a lot. Kind of reminds me of their summer ale..hmm.

Drinkability - This one doesn't have much taste or bite to it. I guess you could call this a sessionable beer, if you like fruity beers. Definitely not hard to drink at all, but it's not one I'll be going back to. Glad that I did not purchase this beer.

Overall - it's alright. Nothing to be super excited about. There's better beer out there than this one.

2.71/5  rDev -17.6%

A - Pours thick and syrupy with a low ivory head. Cloudy, color is tangerine. Little carbonation.

S - Raspberry, cranberry juice. A tiny bit of wheat malt. Not much else. You get the feeling that they are covering up something.

T - Cranapple juice. Some witbier sourness. The hops are extremely mild. Fruits are at the forefront. Aftertaste is like flat beer. Initial taste is just juice. Too much focus of the berries but not enough on improving the other ingredients.

M - Smooth, best chilled. A tiny tickle of bubbles, it goes down well.

D - Ok for experimentation and for getting girls to drink more beer, but if you want a fruit beer you should get a fruit beer, and if you want to drink juice you should drink juice. If you want to drink a witbier....keep going down the isle.

2.48/5  rDev -24.6%

I was very disappointed with Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier. Normally, I'm a big fan of Sam Adams' brews. This beer looks delicious, but it was a let down after the first drink. If you really want a fruit beer from Sam Adams, the Cherry Wheat is a better option in my opinion.

Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 24.4% out of 100 with 1,635 ratings