Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series)Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series)
3.92/5
Very Good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Doppelbock

Added by Bierman9 on 02-07-2009

Ratings: 1,930 |  Reviews: 1,110

4.97/5  rDev +26.8%

With a label on the back noting that each bottle contains "a half pound of malt...almost enough for a loaf of bread," it comes as no surprise that even the aroma of this beer is strong, smelling of thick caramels and dark brown sugars, marbled rye bread and toasted grains.

On the tongue the maltiness continues in delectable waves, breaking against the tastebuds in caramelized sugars, dark fruit esters such as prunes, thick and woody maple syrups, roasted grains, and many fruity alcohol notes that seem more appropriate for wines or ports. Hops are low to medium, bringing in just the right amount of grapefruit bitterness to keep the keep the malts in check, but coming through more strongly in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is thick, as is to be expected, and comes across like cream.

I do admit to a bit of bias here, as the original Samuel Adams Double Bock is one of my favorite beers, but it seems to me that the brewery has only improved on it. This Imperial incarnation has all the flavors of a well-cellared beer, but without all the wait.

4.95/5  rDev +26.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Dark amber and reddish hue beer with a creamy off-white 2 finger head. The head dissipates but leaves great lacing down all sides of the glass.

S- Malty and spicy smelly with a very sweet undertone. Fruity/floral presence with a hint of alcohol.

T- Delicious. Very creamy, malty, smooth. A slight hoppy bitter finnish with the undertone of the high alcohol content.

M- Full bodied beer with light to medium carbonation. Very creamy and slightly sticky.

D- If I physically could I would drink this nonstop.

4.9/5  rDev +25%

I just wanted to put my place marker in here and extol the virtues of this beer. Not only is this beer a beauty to look at with its big foaming head and orange-ish brown body, but it is one of the more tastier beers on the market.

Keep looking here for a review as I am going to get more of this product and give it a write up it deserves. But for now. Take my word and try one of these tonight.

4.88/5  rDev +24.5%

Wow! Sam Adams continues to be America's best brewery for a reason.! This double bock is rich and creamy. It pours a dark amber color, with a white, frothy head and zero carbonation. The beer has a chocolaty aroma and appearance and is sweet on the pallette. This beer is smooth and leaves a great aftertaste. A very enjoyable brew! Sam Adams and Widmer are constantly my favorite American brewers. But Sam Adams has yet to disappoint!

4.88/5  rDev +24.5%

Bright reddish-amber color with a low creamy brown head and slight lace. Big malty aroma !! Light caramel and light chocolate notes. Big malty flavor; dark caramel malt dominates. Full bodied, rich, creamy, and chewy with a warm alcohol finish.

I was worried about age but this aged incredibly well !! One of the best American dopplebocks to compare to imports.

Label states "Dark Lager" & "Rich bock brewed with extra malt".
ABV: 6.8% (per bottle).

'99 embossed stamp along bottle bottom. Tasted: 01/25/03

4.88/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Brothers, if I can suggest one beer you simply must try in your life...it is this one. I had the pleasure to down many a 4-pack and I appreciated every damn one of them. One of the most exceptional and boldest beers I've had the privileged to try. A word of advice, you will either hate this beer (it's not for the weak) or absolutely love it. It's Imperial Cousin isn't bad...but not the same.

4.85/5  rDev +23.7%

This is a top-notch beer. Deep, deep reddish copper. It focuses the light like a prism. Beautiful. A vigorous pour raise a thick, buff head that recedes to a ring around the glass. The aroma of rich malt fills my nose and summons the glass to my lips. Thick, January sorghum with just the mere hint of bitter cocoa on the back end of the finish. I truly love this beer. Easy drinking with no real alcohol that I can detect inspite of the high abv. Wonderful. I passed on this the first time I saw it. Never again. If I see it, I will buy it, and you should too.

4.85/5  rDev +23.7%

New version, kicked up about 1% ABV (03APR09). Still a beauteous, clear chestnut hue, with a thin, fine, minimal tan head. Lacing is still quite attractive. Nose consists of nice toasty malts, with caramel and toffee sweetness, and light floral hopping. Mouthfeel is lovely, creamy smooth and chewy. Malty sweet sugars coat the tongue, yet are never cloying. More caramel and a smidge of brown sugar. Rum-soaked fruit-cake flavors come to mind. I could drink this all day and night! It sucks, though, that Jim Koch has opted to go with 4-packs vs. sixers, and at higher costs on top of that... Same scores... Prosit!!

*** ***

Latest tastings (09JUN06)... Have another Jan/Feb 2004 bottle... Not much different from last Dec... Is it a tad less full-bodied? Unsure... silky smooth, though. Still rich, smooth, creamy; lots of sweet malts, light caramel, brown sugar.... just a smidge of hops left.... a bit of a warming effect... Now at almost 2.25 years... lovely!!
Next up, getting into the 2005 offering, about 1.25 years old... garnet/mahogany, creamy beige head... seems to have better body than the earlier '04... a touch less sweetness than the '04, with a correspondingly higher bit of hoppiness, though still not bitter at all. Yes, still lovely, all around! Zum Wohl!!

overall: 4.8
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | mouthfeel: 5 | drinkability: 5

*** ***

Have opted tonight (04DEC05) to dive into a couple of bottles of Sammy from approx Jan/Feb of '04. Color, of course, hasn't changed; still with a creamy, beige head, and quite full, heavy, thick and smooth on the palate. Rich, sweet brown sugar malt coats the tongue. Lusciously malty yet not at all cloying. Caramel coats everything, yet there is still a smidge of a floral quality from the Noble hops bearing fruit at the finish. Coming up on 2 years in the cellar fridge (at a constant 48F), this bier is still top-shelf!!
Prosit!!

*** ***

I have here tonight (10FEB03) a bottle from 2002, and a current, fresh bottle of 2003. Color is identical to each other, and to the '01: a rich, mahogany hue with tinges of ruby. Both have a fine, tan head, though the '03 was initially bigger, and lasts a bit better than the '02. Both leave a bit of lacing. (4.5 for each).
Aroma of last years is much more pronounced than the new model. Still a strong, malty sweet nose, with the '02 perhaps having more caramel (4.5 for '02, 4.0 for '03).
Mouthfeel for both is exquisite! Full-bodied and silky smooth on the tongue! (5.0 each).
The '02 has a more rounded flavor profile, more malty sweetness, with heavier caramel emphasis and even maybe a tinge of molasses. The fresher version, though still with malt aplenty, has an ever so slight bitterness that aging may quell somewhat. ( I still go with a 5.0 for the '02, and a 4.5 for the '03). I was worried that Sammy might have dumbed-down this bier like some others in the line-up, but from 1 bottle, I feel it's still up to it's standard as Sammys best, imho. Drinkability? I love 'em, so 5.0 for each. Prosit!!

*** ***

(Just scored a couple of cases at Shaws for $19.99 each!!!!) Am currently (20Jan02) drinking a 2001 leftover...aged nicely...Beauteous brown/ruby color, with a creamy, small white head. Some lace present.... Sweet, malty nose....some caramel and perhaps toffee and dark fruit. Lovely full body, with a nice smoothness on the tongue. Mucho malt flavor with a nice sweetness... seems like some caramel-like flavors are there too.... and the alcohol doesn't let you forget it's presence! I REALLY enjoy this bier!

Prosit!!

Orig rating 4.5/4.5/5.0/5.0/5.0 = 4.80

4.82/5  rDev +23%

A: Pours a nice dark mahogany red color with a tan head that sticks around for a while. Settles to a tan color.

S: All malts! Caramel malts and some dark, dried fruits. I am also getting some distinct molasses and brown sugar.

T: Similar to the smell, the molasses and sweet malt predominate! Wow. This tastes great. A lingering residual sweetness. I love this! Alcohol just a tad strong.

M: Medium/heavy body...definitely Creamy & smooth as silk going down.

D: I could drink this all day. This beer is great. The best SA I've had. I rate this only 2nd to Celebrator. Amazing flavor for a lager beer. Cracks my personal top 20 list for sure...which means I'll always have this on hand in my fridge! An A+ ranking from me.

4.8/5  rDev +22.4%

An outstanding beer, the Double Bock might be the best beer that Sam Adams makes. Its smooth texture and rich flavors elide its heavy alcohol count (8.8% ABV). It pours rich and reddish brown, producing a thick tan head that lasts well through its consumption. It is extremely rich in flavor and taste, with chocolate, caramel, and berry malt all in a magnificent roasted melange. The malt is heavy but not obstreperous, allowing the other flavors to emerge as it's consumed. It finishes as smoothly as it begins. A genuine treat, one of the best dopplebocks around. A gem, and not to be passed up.

4.78/5  rDev +21.9%

Very good american doppelbock! Worth a try!

4.77/5  rDev +21.7%

Dark, red-brown liquid with a thick, sudsy head of about two fingers. Aromas of sweet bread, banana, pineapple, berries. Tastes almost like cinnamon raisin bread. Plenty of spices, fruits and sweet bready flavor. This is a truly exceptional brew; it's the first one I've ever given a 5.0 in any category.

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

Popped the cap off and smelled the beer. Smells like chocolate, but with a hint of barn funk. Gosh I am hoping the barn funk doesn't continue to the taste. Poured into a pewter stein, took one sip. Wow! I can't believe a beer as complex as this comes from Sam Adams! I like several Sam Adams beers, but they usually are tasty/straight-forward and not complex. I taste at least 4 different levels to this beer. First off there is the sweet chocolatey malts, and man are they sweet. Next I hint just a tinge of dark fruit like the Rochefort Quadrupel I tried last week. Then more sweet malts, with less chocolate and more caramel. Finishes sweet as well. The mouthfeel is incredible. Not the thickest I have had, but excellent. Overall it is as close to chocolate milk as I can describe for a beer, without it being gross. Excellent. Only thing I would probably wish for is a little more of a head on the pour. One of my new favorites, although I must admit I am partial to the style.

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.92 out of 5 with 1,930 ratings