Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...

Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series)Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series)
3.92/5
Very Good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Doppelbock

Added by Bierman9 on 02-07-2009

Ratings: 1,928 |  Reviews: 1,110
2.35/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Amber appearance, light, mild super thin 1/8" head on it. Tons of alcohol dominates the aroma.

Taste, again, alcohol blast obliterates everything else. There's a massive caramel presence that keeps anything from being too prominent, there's some smoke, spice rack and citrus notes. Nothing in terms of hops, more bitter fruit and alcohol burn.

Worst beer of the Imperial Series.

2.48/5  rDev -36.7%

Pours a clear medium amber color with a nice buttery head and good lacing.

Smells of malt, sugar, fruits, and maybe a hint of vanilla?

Wow this is sweet! This is too sweet even for me, and I like em sweet. Tastes extremely malty, with caramel, dark sugar, and harsh alcohol. Hops are there somewhere, but overpowered by the sweetness. Bitterness comes more from the alcohol than hops.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy.

I'm not too impressed by this one. I'm starting to think maybe I'm just not a fan of bocks in general.

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%

The color of this beer is an amber with a brown haze to it. The smell of this beer is of booze and roasted caramel malts. The taste is of overpowering caramel and booze. This is not a balanced beer. Mouthfeel is slightly thick, and little to no carbonation. A sipping beer.

2.51/5  rDev -36%

I picked up a bottle of Samuel Adams Double Bock a couple weeks ago for $2.49 at The Lager Mill. I haven't tried anything from Samuel Adam's imperial series before, so since this was on the singles shelf I decided give their Doppelbock a try and see how it stacks up to the other ones I have tried. There was no visible bottling date but I am sure this is a 2011 vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label on this beer looks good and the picture of the goat is drawn well, I still don't get the deal will most Doppelbocks having a goat theme on the bottle. It poured a nice deep and dark mahogany color with some nice red/copper hues when held to the light. It had two fingers worth of off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed the rest of the time.

S- This beer has a really strong malt dominated aroma. It starts off with some caramel, toffee and dark fruit aromas with some some grainy biscuit like aromas. It has a big amount of sweetness in the nose that gives it a brown sugar and candied sugar like aroma along with a slight presence of alcohol and a slight amount of earthy and grassy hops.

T- Wow this is one malt heavy beer, I believe this could be called a malt bomb. It starts out with tons of malts that impart a pretty robust caramel flavor along with some toffee and dark fruits. The malts are slight biscuity and heavy on the sweetness, too much so for my taste. The sweetness tasted like a heavy mixture of brown sugar and candied sugar, to me the sweetness was cloying and it was immediately followed by a pretty big alcohol presence that just seemed way too boozy for 9.5%. The finish had a medium amount of bitterness along with some warming alcohol burn.

M- It was sticky and it had a thick syrupy like body that was just to thick and cloying. Carbonation was on the low side of medium but it seemed to suit this beer just fine.

Overall I thought this Doppelbock wasn't that good and it had too many harsh qualitys for me to like. As far as sweet Doppelbocks go this is up there with being one of the sweetest Doppelbocks I have had to date and combined with the lack of hiding the 9.5% of alcohol made for a beer that was pretty hard for me to get down and not all that enjoyable. I don't mind sweetness and booze in a Doppelbock and I have come to expect it from this style, but balance is the key and this beer showed hardly any balance. What I liked most about this beer was the look, it had great color for a Doppelbock, what I liked least about this beer was it's unrefined and unbalanced taste, it was just too sweet and boozy. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I'll stick with my go to Doppelbock, Celebrator. I wouldn't recommend this beer to anyone, unless sweet and boozy is your thing, it's not hard to find a much better Doppelbock. I find this beer to be a swing and a miss for Samuel Adams, it lacked the balance and refinement that better Doppelbocks have, this beer needs a good amount of tweaking to be good, it's just too rough around the edges. I still want to try their Imperial Stout but this beer made for a bad first impression for Samuel Adam's Imperial Series. This is the second worst Doppelbock I have had with Primator still remaining the worst to date.

2.53/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Copper color, extremely thin head if any to it. I liked the color, not so much anything else in terms of appearance. Aroma was largely alcohol.

Taste, was largely alcohol. If you search for it, a miniscule amount of citrus and smoke. Yeah, nice pairing. . . psych. Lots of caramel, its like a dipa, but without hops. Weird spice flavoring that defies description other than that I would label it a negative. Like a mix of prunes and grandma's perfume.

About my least favorite of the extreme or whatever series they're calling it.

2.55/5  rDev -34.9%

This one tastes OK at first, however, it becomes worse and worse with each sip. I don't know what causes this. Is it a flaw in the ingredients, the brewing process or perhaps in the lagering phase? I'm not sure. It tastes more like a mediocre chocolatey brown ale, rather than a clean, properly-lagered doppelbock. The malt flavor in this bock just isn't clean like the many German versions on the market. Like a cheap macro-lager, I would suggest drinking this one as cold as possible. Otherwise, the unpleasant grainy-ness of this bock is just too much.

2.55/5  rDev -34.9%

Pour is a medium-dark ruby, with a medium sized tan head, almost no lacing. Aroma is sweet, malty (caramel), and some fruityness also. Flavor starts with a strong malt sweetness, middle and end are mostly dominated with an alcohol presence that won't stop. Body is on the thin side of medium. Hints of cough syrup flavor come in towards the end.

2.55/5  rDev -34.9%

Poured this into my Sam Adams Sensory Glass (of course!) and produced a quarter inch head that dissipated almost immediately on top of a nice brown body. Not much carbonation evident in the brew and no lacing during the drinking period.

Aroma consisted of a sweet malty scent followed up by a sweet soy sauce smell.

Flavor felt flat - a slight caramel malt sweetness followed up by a alcohol kick.

Mouthfeel was medium-full mainly due to the fact that there didn't seem to be much carbonation. The flavor was very fleeting and not very complex on the palate.

Easy to drink because it feels light on your palate but this beer just felt too flat. I wish there was more punch to it and a stronger maltier flavor rather than a weak malt prescence followed up by the alcohol burn. Maybe I got a flat one - there is another bottle left in my 4-pack but if that one tastes the same way, then I'm sure I will not try this brew again.

2.56/5  rDev -34.7%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a pretty deep auburn color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is a bit on the malty side. Taste is big on alcohol, consider using a shot glass for this one. Some malts come through after the initial alcohol burn. Feels medium bodied and very strong in the mouth and overall I felt the alcohol dominated this beer.

Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.92 out of 5 with 1,928 ratings