Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series)Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series)
3.92/5
Very Good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Doppelbock

Added by Bierman9 on 02-07-2009

Ratings: 1,929 |  Reviews: 1,110
4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

I opened this on a sunny, chilly afternoon. Its low carbonation made for a head-free pour, and the beer was a nice burgundy color, flashing ruby red depending on how the light hit the glass. Its sweet malt aroma showed no signs of burnt malt and was reminiscent of prunes or of fountain Dr. Pepper.

Sam Adams brags that half a pound of malt goes into each bottle, and one taste shows the claim is true. The first sip was mildly sweet, with a warm alcohol taste rolling over the tongue, finishing with a small amount of German noble hops. A nice medium mouthfeel and a feeling of caramel around the cheeks complete this dopplebock experience.

4.35/5  rDev +11%

Took me a long while to find these but I am glad I did

A: Dark amber/red color with tan head

S: smells of sweetness, I get honey and maybe caramel or molasses. It smells really really good to me

T: *Foreword* I was really excited about this beer and was almost afraid that my hype would be let down by an overpowering beer. Surprisingly... Sweetness abound and great full flavor that is almost shocking at first but finishes immediately. I still taste honey/caramel with a roasted/brown flavoring. I really cant taste blunt alcohol but I definitely know its there by the warm feeling

M: Very balanced. Not as thick as I had thought. not very carbonated but appropriate feel for the brew

D: Wow I am glad I picked this up. Although I might be able to only have 2 or at most 3, that is really all you need with these! Fantastic craft from Sam Adams. I would definitely recommend to try it, especially as a break from the normal dark beers.

Truly a unique beer with a good hardy flavor that leaves you toasty

3.88/5  rDev -1%

A: decent beer with a decent head color is typical with a slight white head

S: creamy good malty but not too impressive

T: creamy malty some what estery there is def a bread like quality to it

i like this beer i wish i would write more, i might come back but right now im content saying its a good beer!!!

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Clear burnt orange with large tan head and good retension and great lacing.

S: Sweet malt, caramel, and a bit of cream.

T: Thick chewy malts greet you with milk chocolate, grain, a lot of sweetness, and some mint. This is a light alcohol hint in the finish.

M: Full, cramy, and a lingering malt finish.

D: This could replace a meal. I think the sweetness would catch up to me after a few of these though.

3.66/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Very dark amber in color with a thick tan head when poured from its bottle into my tankard.

Smell: You can smell the malt in this brew, even before you taste it. I can detect a faint alcohol smell too, but with an ABV of 8.8, i'm not really surprised. Nothing too special in this department.

Taste: Very sweet, a bit too much so for my taste. Some chocolate and cherry-ish notes also pop through. I can taste the alcohol through the flavor of the beer itself though, which caused a few lost points in my book. Its not bad, but its not great either. Its something I can see myself buying once in a great while.

Mouthfeel: Thicker than what I'm used to, dare I say syrupy. Envelopes your tastebuds. Very well done.

Drinkability: Drink with caution. You catch a pretty good buzz with minimal effort here. Hell, I just finished the one I'm reviewing, and I feel it already. Other than that warning, I can say that this is a meal in a bottle. I couldn't see myself putting more than 2 of these down consecutively. That's a consequence of the style itself though, and not this specific brew.

Overall: Pretty Good, not bad, but not great either. It's near the bottom of my Sam Adams shopping list, right near Sam's Summer Ale, but I'll definitely buy it again.

4.55/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle cold into my dimpled lager mug. The bottle displays a besty before Oct 08 freshness date.

A - Deep bronze w/ 1.5 fingers of light tan that caps this dark lager and drops to a ring around the mug

S - Boozy, malty, creamy, rich malt + vanilla tinged milky caramel odors w/ sweet fruit in the nose w/ a hint, oh so slight of banana

M - Very malty w/ sweet fruity textures, mild to medium carbonation w/ nutty almost amaretto like qualities. Dense and full of body, almost chewy w/ the thick yet sweet finish w/ out any hint of cloying.

T - A very pleasant fig and very ripe banana taste w/ milkly caramel and sweet cream flavors. The nutty aspect is sweet also w/ a hint of pistachio. A lot of subtle stone fruit notes w/ more creamy wheat malt and caramel malt flavors w/ subtle floral and herbal hop hints. Minor notes of alcohol appear as it nears room temperature w/ hints of marzipan and honey that make this buttery smooth American Bock w/ the faintest hint of toasted malt.

D - Even at 8% this bock is so drinkable the calories are worth every sip of this national treasure. It verges on dessert in a glass, I really consider this one of the top Doppelbocks I have tasted in the U.S. or Germany so far for that matter. A well crafted beer, but not easy to drink 3 without feeling the potency of a very well made strong lager.

edit 9/25/10 bottle A-4 S-4.5 M - 4.5 T-4.5 D-4.5

A - a burnished copper color, clear with thick pale cream cap. The carbonation is visible and bead is tight with solar flare streaks of lace cling to the glass]

S - a sweet creamy scent w/ mild vinous tinge and caramel notes w/ a subtle floral hop accent and slight berry odor

M- feel is moderately carbonated and mild alcohol w/ a full feeling malt body, semi-dry as it finishes w/ light spice and subtle caramel creaminess

T - The taste is very good I enjoy the way the caramel and bready flavors intermingle with a slight spicy and dried fruit flavor there is a nice balance with alcohol flavor low in the overall taste. There is a slight hop bitterness keeping the malt fullness from becoming cloying and the light toasted notes are very pleasant

D - This is a seriously drinkable bock, I was told by a distributor that it has not been selling well so they are discontinuing it which sucks since it has always been one of my faves by Samuel Adams

4.28/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance deep amber almost brown in color with three finger tan head that droped down to about one in a few minuets. Smell sweet caramel and warming alcohol with hints of honey and roasted grains. Taste same as smell. Mouthfeel heavey body almost chewy and mediem carbonation. Drinkability great for a late winter night like this.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Shiner glass

A: A thin reddish-brown color that's transparent. Cherry tones towards the middle. Little to no head, lacing non-existent. No carbonation bubbles to speak of.

S: Honey, caramel, sweets, perhaps some cherry and a bit of chocolate as well. Pretty nice if you have a strong sense of smell; otherwise, you can smell hints but it's very faint. You really have to get your nose deep into the glass.

T: I taste a lot of cherries here. The sweetness of the style is definitely accounted for, but not much of the darker malt flavors. While a bit of chocolate is present in the nose, not much translate into taste. The same can be said about any carmel malt flavor. The aftertaste is where the chocolate flavor hits the back of the palate, and it lingers for awhile while you still have the sweetness from the cherries on the tongue. It's really nice.

M/D: Smooth, medium bodied. Very creamy, but I wish it was thicker so that texture continued to envelop the tongue.

This beer isn't too complex, but it is true to the style and consistently solid. A nice seasonal release.

3.55/5  rDev -9.4%

A - Translucent brownish copper with 1/2 inch head that quickly settles.

S - Very subtle malt with hints of cherry... Surprisingly sweet smell for a double boch...

T - Extremely smooth... Thin but yet still very rich... Light malt and oak flavors... Delicate... Taste fades quickly, doesn't linger...

M - Well balanced and creamy... Thinner than expected...

D - Maybe I'm missing something, but there isn't much to this beer... I'm happy I tried it, but not sure I would go out of my way to get another...

12oz bottle poured into a pilsener glass.

A: Pours a rather clear and dark cherry wood color, initially poured and gave a great cascading effect, the head eventually settle to a one inch cap, tight and creamy, good amount of carbonation bubbling up from the bottom of the glass. Not much lacing, but not expecting there to be.

S: Delicate aroma on this one (at least for me) smells of sweet cherry, dark chocolaty malt with a back kick of light apple, molasses and caramel. Nicely balanced and complex.

T/MF: Again pretty well balanced. Upfront I get a big creamy sweetness, light background of cherries and apple, there is a nice residual hotness to this beer along with what feels like a dusty or husky body.

D: Pretty easy drinking, solidly built and balanced but something I feel like could benefit from some time in the cellar.

EDIT---

I was right, this beer is drinking awesome right now 4-25-09

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

This doppelbock poured a copper brown and had a minimal white head that dissipated quickly.

The smell had a thick malt aroma and a bit of sweetness to it. The taste was heavy with rich malt flavor and a medium/light hop profile. There was a definate sweetness to the beer from the malt, and the high ABV was hardly noticeable. There was also a subtle spicy character to the taste as well. This was a well brewed beer with a medium/heavy consistency and a medium carbonation.

Much better than I thought it would be. This beer has a nice thick body and hides its alcohol well. I am very impressed and would highly recommend it!

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured a dark clear amber with a 1 finger head
Medium mouthfeel with light carbonation
Very nice taste of malts and caramel, I was pleasently surprized
Smells of roasted malts
A very good beer and worth trying, easily could drink several
My local Anderson's just got a few cases in, I bought a single but will go back for more tomorrow!

4.55/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearance - Nice medium brown body with a light tan head standing at a half inch. The head fades to a thin trace at the surface.

Smell - Cranberry and malt aroma.

Taste - Oh yeah. This fine flavor consists of roasted malt and a true deep bock flavor. There's some spice in this brew that should also be noted.

Mouthfeel - The smooth texture of this brew coats my mouth. The flavor is really intensified by the feel of this brew. I'm very impressed.

~ This is the best doppelbock I've ever had. Need I say more?

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

This is one of the best brews from Sam Adams. It is a malt bombish example of teh style, but very drinkable.

Amber color with a nice tan head.

Aromas of complex malts and sweet fruits. Caramel and spicy alcohols.

Very sweet with lots and lots of malt. A faint amount of spicy alcohol and herbal hops.

Full creamy body wit good carbonation.

A little sweet, but still very good. One of these is enough.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Served in my SA Sensory Pint. Color is very similar to the Minwax red oak stain I used to finish the kickboards on my stairs today. Poured clear and very effervescent, although the off-white head was surprisingly minimal and dissipated into nothingness almost immediately. Virtually no lacing during the tasting. In terms of scent, the first thing that popped into my mind was "sugary." I'm thinking caramel and dark fruit (raisins, plums), as well as the presence of malt as the backdrop. Taste similar to nose (no surprises here). Full-bodied mouthfeel accentuated by the slightest bit of carbonation across the tongue. Alcohol is very well-hidden; I can't believe this is an 8.8% abv. Extremely drinkable - I'm cracking open a second brew as I wrap up this review.

3.66/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a clear, brown ruby color with a nice off-white head that quickly dissipated to a thin layer. Does leave some lacing. Minimal to no bubbles.

Smell is not very strong, smells malty and sweet, like caramel.

Taste is very malty, caramel, chocolate, somewhat flat. Don't really taste the alcohol, at first I didn't even realize this beer had such a high ABV! This beer is somewhat overly rich, I was hoping for something a little more complex, but it's not bad.

Not my favorite Sam Adams beer, mouthfeel is a little thinner than I expected. Not a bad beer to sip on, but a little rich to drink more than one of.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Clear, dark amber with dark ruby highlights. Smallish finger of light beige head. Minor lacing. Doppelbock nose of rum, raisins, cookie dough, sweet caramel rolls, with a slight vegetable and noble hop spiciness. Nice.

Toasted grains and hop bitterness up front. Sweet, doughy malts come on quick and strong. Cookie dough, veins of caramel, maple syrup, and dark fruits (raisins, dates). Slightly boozy (rummy) peak before a modest vegetal, spicy, noble hop bitter finish. Lots of residual fruit and cookie malts and hints of anise. Medium-full body with a tad syrupy feel. Well-made doppelbock for a crazily cheap price!

3.7/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a little lighter than usual for the style, kinda a ruby medium brown. Decent head and some very spotty lacing. Very malty and a bit winey and fruity sweet. Taste is also quite sweet, but more of the malty variety than the fruity. Very malty with some dark fruit. Somewhat simple, but still tasty. A bit of chocolate on the finish. Mouthfeel is smooth, moderately thick, and the tiniest bit sticky. Definitely a sweet malt bomb, but there are some nice flavors here as well.

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance: Poured from the 120z bottle into an imperial pint. The beer is a brownish red color on first glance, but when held to light it is a clear ruby color. Head is a little over 2 fingers thick, light tan, and dissipates somewhat quickly.

Smell: Rich malts dominate the smell, especially a caramel malt note that seems to just take over everything. I also noticed toasted malts and a nice creamy finish on the nose.

Taste: An almost overwhelming amount of malts in the taste, and this is coming from a guy who loves maltier beers. Wow that's intense... and delicious. Starts out with a mellow toasted note, then a big creamy caramel character dominates the palate, followed by a quick milky chocolate hit. Finishes like the nose with a pleasant creaminess, as well as a surprising subtle spiciness.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and thick, almost chewy feel. Luscious smoothness keeps everything rounded out, allowing the malts to fully express themselves.

Drinkability: So drinkable it's dangerous. Buy this now.

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

A= Dark amber with some brown. Not very much head.
S= Lots of malt and caramel with a little alcohol and hops.
T= Lots of malty caramel and alcohol with a sweet finish.
M= Slightly creamy texture.
D= If I drank many of these back to back it would be a very short night.

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

WoW! This is my second sixer of this nectar and I must say.If you are a fan of this style.At $6.99,this is the BIGGEST bang for your buck out there.Nice two finger head,amber waves of grain.Big,sweet and malty smell.If beer is a three course meal,this little beauty is dessert.I have a sweet tooth and I can't get enough of this stuff.Let it linger,I feel warm and fuzzy and safe as a kitten just resting in my jowls.High ABV so you don't need more than two(three if you had a shitty day at work)

3.84/5  rDev -2%

I tried the double bock for two reasons. one is that I know I've had it before but don't remember the details, and two is that it's an 8.8 ABV for $6.99! Not that I'm a lush but when was the last time you saw that high a percentage for the same price as the rest of the brewery's lineup?!

Pours a beautiful redish brown amber color with plenty of head. I was expecting it to be darker but I'm pleasantly surprised.

There is lots of malty aroma and, if there's anything hoppy going on, I wouldn't know it.

Taste is like that of a crankeded up oktoberfest beer and only slightly reminds me of other bock beers, salvator for one.

The beer has a smooth mouthfeel at first but it soon turns sharp with the burn of alcohol. This is not one that hides it well.

This is the second one I've had of this sixer and I have to say I enjoy it better at cellar temp than refrigerated. More of the subtle carmel and smoke flavors come out when it's a little warmer.

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a nice dark brown with a nice head. The taste is nice and sweet. Its like a creamy caramel. The mouthfeel is spicy and smooth. The alcohol is nowhere to be found. Enjoy!

Overall, I really like this beer and would drink it all the time if i could. Its cheap and tasty. Cheers!

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to iconoklaztor for letting me sample this one.

Pours an attractive brown/orange with a moderate tan head a moderate lacing.

Smell and taste are abundantly sweet, but the finish is well-balanced, and a pleasing aftertaste lingers for quite some time. A good doppelbock. I can't really taste the alcohol, well concealed.

A fine offering from BBC. It has that Sam Adams taste. Not my favorite style, but one of the best examples of it I've had.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

Another SA Brewmasters collection, hard to go wrong with these. I have to say though, I usually can expect and receive good but not great, this one however exceeded expectations.

Appearance - Deep mohagany color with a nice off-white head that stuck around.

Smell - Wonderful malty, camarmel, maple aroma that really took the brew to the next level.

Taste - Serious stuff, had a nice thick flavor with wonderful tones of malt, caramel, and even a twinge of chocolate.

Mouthfeel - Had a very thick texture and an excellent aftertaste. Quite a punch of alcohol as well.

Drinkability - Probably the best SA has to offer, I'm a fan of most of their offerings but this is a notch above. An excellent lager and maybe the best dopplebock I've had this side of Troegenator.

Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.92 out of 5 with 1,929 ratings