Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series)Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series)
3.92/5
Very Good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Doppelbock

Added by Bierman9 on 02-07-2009

firstprev| 1876-1900 | 1901-1925 | 1926-1950  | next → last
Ratings: 1,933 |  Reviews: 1,111
4.55/5  rDev +16.1%

This is the first time I've had Sam's Double Bock since my original exposure to Sam Adams brews 6 years ago. It's a shame I waited so long to try this again!

This is a deep red/coppery colored beer with a nice head (which could have stayed around a bit longer, however). It has a nice malty aroma with a heavy undertone of molasses. The aroma reminds me a bit of fine rum (the stuff made with molasses, not the flavored grain alcohol). The aroma is only a prelude to the wonderful taste of this brew. The malt/molasses flavor carries through with a hint of alcohol as it warms. This is probably the most 'drinkable' dopplebocks I've tried. It'll eventually knock you over, but it's certainly worth it!

4.63/5  rDev +18.1%

This is one of my all-time favorites! Nice sweet, malty nose. Has a nice fine, creamy head on top of a great chestnut colored body. Tastes of molasses and caramel smooth out nicely over the palate. This is a great one for sipping and enjoying. 2002 is not a bad year, but if you can hold on to it for awhile and drink it in a year or two, WOW!!! Ages beautifully!!!

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%

This stuff is so good I decided it merits a re-review after a recent tasting.

12oz. bottle. Deep ruby-brown color, beautiful tan, cascading, lasting head. Aroma is of sweet dark bread and toasted caramel. Full body. Flavor is dark malty sweet, chocolatey with hints of caramel. Alcohol is quite pronounced, but balances the sweetness (use caution near open flame!). Minimum detectable hop. Serious brew.

4.51/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours a nice frothy head that lasts some time. Beautiful mahogany color. Aroma is predominantly sweet. Tastes of liquorice and molasses dominate. Very well put together dopplebock. Malt dominates. Hops are used for subtle balance.This has been a favorite of mine for some time. I have even ranked it #1 in a blind taste test of 10 dopplebocks.

4.53/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I finally found it in my neck of the woods and I am not disappointed...dark mahogony in color...soft creamy head....chewy in texture and very malty in flavor...but not overwhelmingly so. I think an understated strong point of this beer is the hopping. It is just enough to balance this brew and keep it from being over-sweet. You can definitely taste the alcohol and it's initial mouthfeel is almost syruppy...but like I said, the hopping does wonders for this beer and overall this rates in my top 5 or so doppels...If I drink a doppel I want it to taste rich and sweet and this accomplishes that without going overboard.

Update: I have had two more of these and am finding an almost candy sugar sweetness on the nose and palate...I like it but it is different than I expected..

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

A truly awesome brew. Pours a dark, dark ruby color, almost to the point of being brown but not quite. Gets a creamy dark tan head that sticks for quite some time before sinking down to a nice lace. Smells of sweet malty goodness. First taste is a bit on the alcohol side followed by an almost corn syrup like?? malt sweetness. The beer flows very smoothly across the palate. Overall drinkablity is pretty high as the beer is pretty easy to consume for all it's body. All in all a very good beer and highly recommended if you can get your hands on some. I finally found some and boy was I glad.

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Very dark and very malty. as crazy as it sounds it had sort of a black licorice taste to it. Not a bad beer. I'm glad i only bought one bottle of it to try because it really filling.

4.7/5  rDev +19.9%

One of the few beers that I can honestly say that I look forward to each year. Malty, robust and extremely warming ... one of the last ballsy beers by Sam Adams, and one that I wish was a year round beer.

firstprev| 1876-1900 | 1901-1925 | 1926-1950  | next → last
Samuel Adams Double Bock (Imperial Series) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.92 out of 5 with 1,933 ratings