Samuel Adams Brick Red
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Brick RedSamuel Adams Brick Red
Score:
Ranked #33,452
3.72 | pDev: 14.52%
From:
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Massachusetts, United States
Avail:
Rotating
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Samuel Adams Brick RedSamuel Adams Brick Red
Notes:
Reviews: 73 | Ratings: 486

I'm a big fan of Sam Adams' seasonal beers (especially the colder weather ones, though the Summer is also very, very good). I went on vacation to Boston back in 2011 and fell in love with the city (keep this in mind considering it was 8 years ago and I already loved the city itself). I made sure to go to the Same Adams Brewery and wasn't disappointed in the least. My favorite beer I was served on the tour was the Boston only Brick Red. This beer knocked my socks off. My usual go to alcoholic beverage is Guinness on tap and Yuengling from the bottle/can and occasionally from the tap. Sam Adams Brick Red easily became one of my favorite beers after I tried it at the brewery. Following the tour my family an I went to a BBQ place that you could take a trolley to straight from the brewery. Besides having possibly the best short rib ever, I also had Brick Red outside the confines of the brewery. It did not let me know. The beer was easy to drink and very flavorful. After several pints of Brick Red I can confidently say it is one of my favorite beers out there. My friend is getting married in Boston in July so I'll be making a stop and seeing if the beer is as good as I remember it.

3.84/5  rDev +3.2%

A: draft into a pint glass at Warren Tavern in Boston, red with a small white head that dissipates leaving little head, clear

S: light caramel malt, bread

T: malt forward with peppery hop finish

M: light to medium

O: old world style amber ale

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look: Crystal clear reddish-brown. Half a finger of fizzy white head that almost immediately dissipates.

Smell: Sweet, almost like candy. Nutty.

Taste: Sweet and nutty with a very limited bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: A little thicker and fuller than average, with a high level of carbonation.

Overall: Mild, but very quaffable.

4.73/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this while in Boston last year, just remembered it while browsing some Irish Reds on BA.

Such a fantastic Irish Red. It's not going to be quite as bold flavored as some would like. However, it lives at the corner of taste and drinkability.

I very much enjoy their "regular" Irish Red, but I would not be upset if they swapped that out and made this one their national Irish Red, since you cannot get the Boston Brick Red anywhere else, or it's extremely limited.

I really could drink this every day.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a clear mug.
The appearance was a rugged semi-dark burnt orange almost mahogany to red color with a finger's worth of quickly dieing head that didn't leave any lace.
The aroma had some clean nutty to caramel malts up front flowing into some earthy to grassy hops - somewhat bitter, yet mild.
The flavor presented a solid sweetness, nice and clean like a good Irish red ale should be. Mild aftertaste of the nuts and caramel.
The mouthfeel was between light and medium bodied with a fair sessionability about it. Carbonation felt fine. ABV felt nice. Finish was brisk with the nuts and caramel.
Overall, for the most part, it's pretty solid and I can tell it was well brewed. But I wouldn't mind a higher level of earthiness and some herbal qualities poking out to make this a superior Irish red ale.

4.69/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

As a long time Sam Adams fan I was skeptical of them branching out this fat, but it did not disappoint. It has a red velvet taste to it with the same bitter Boston lager bite.

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reddish copper color with not much head. Smells like sweet Carmel and slightly toasted malts. Taste very similar to the smell but has a fruitiness to it possibly some type of Apple.medium light body with medium carbs. Overall it's just an ok beer

3.44/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

On tap. Pours a clear, dark copper. Aroma is very malty. Completely malty actually. I was unsure of the style or couldn't remember it. Smells of caramel, bread and soft roast. Flavor is the same.bread crust and toffee. Devoid of hoppiness, even as a subsidiary flavor. Has some fullness to the feel at a relatively low ABV.

4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

A very good beer, highly drinkable and you can keep throwing them down smoothly. Surprisingly light for a red beer, taste close to regular Sam Adams but better.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On-tap at the Union Oyster House in Boston.
Deep red color, short tight head. Good retention and spotty lace.
The smell has a good balance of hops and malts.
The taste also is nicely balanced, actually had a bit more hoppy finish than I was expecting.
The mouthfeel is quite creamy smooth, vey drinkable, medium body.
Another good beer, pretty good example for the style, a nice surprise.
apparently only available in Boston, part of Sam Adams charity program.

2.66/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I believe this is only available in Massachusetts, but if you are in the great city of Boston, you would be better served by trying another craft beer that you can't get in your home state/country.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

I had this one at Jacob Wirths. It was served in a SA pint which I always like to see. The beer is a rusty dark red with chill haze and a sticky beige head.

It has a nice aroma of lightly roasted malt.

It is malt forward with a hint of sweetness. There are grains, red apple and something a bit earthy. Hint of pear and a touch of hop bittering mid glass.

Mouth is medium with a touch of slickness.

Very similar to an Irish red and easy to pair with a good chowder.

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From notes on Oct 15th 2012
On tap

A - Clear dark orange with two fingers of thick white head with thick lacing.
S - Sweet caramels, light roasted malt, earthy notes.
T - Smooth caramel, a little toasted quality, grainy, a light earthy and herbal hop tone.
M - Smooth and actually kinda refreshing, not overly sweet.
O - Actually a decent red ale, not too sweet, moderately balanced.

4.13/5  rDev +11%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wonderful Irish red ale. It reminds me of McSorleys Red which I had years ago in New York City. It's creamy and rich and has only the slightest after taste of bitterness. It has a soft texture. I think any experienced beer palate will enjoy this beer. Personally I loved it.

4.29/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

As far as I still know you can only get this in Boston. I had this on my trip to Boston in '11. Can't remember the bar name but it was right by the Oyster House.

Second Favorite Sam Adams beer next to Noble Pils. If you can only get this on tap around Boston, I suggest getting it and you won't regret it.

3.69/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Draught @ Doyles: This one pours a crystal clear coppery color. There is a decent off-white head that left lots of lacing. Nice nose. Caramel malts, a subdued sweetness. Some spicy, earthy hops and a touch of pine. The taste is good. Very clean, well balanced, malty. Slightly dry, bitter finish. Nice.

3.52/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on-tap at Anthem Kitchen & Bar in Boston, MA

A: Pours a clear darker reddish amber in color with some moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some garnet red highlights. The beer has a half finger tall thin light beige head that quickly reduces to a medium patch of very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of caramel malts and toasted malts along with some faint notes of grassy and earthy hops.

T: Upfront there are moderate flavors of toasted and caramel malts with just a slight hint of sweetness. Very light flavors of grassy and earthy hops contribute just a hint of bitterness which fades quickly.

M: Just shy of medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly crisp with just a hint of dryness in the finish.

O: This was an OK beer but kind of what I have come to expect from Sam Adams - nothing too risky, fairly safe recipes that would appeal to gateway craft beer drinkers. I'm glad that I happened to find this on tap while visiting Boston for the weekend because otherwise I would not have had the opportunity to try it.

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%

This is a very good beer... and I can't have it any time I'd like, because I don't live in or around Boston. Brick Red to me tasted quite a decent bit like Boston Lager, with slightly less bitterness.

Brick Red has what you'd expect -- a red color. I honestly can't quite remember the smell exactly, but I do remember that at the time, I had no complaints about Brick Red. The taste of this beer is the best part... like I said, somewhat similar to Boston Lager, but more palatable for me with almost no bitterness to speak of.

This and 26.2 (Both Boston exclusives, unfortunately...) are both two of the better Samuel Adams varieties. I can understand and appreciate why they're only available in Boston, but I still wish they'd bottle it and ship it!

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

On tap at the brewery.
Pours a deep amber almost red with a decent sized tan head that shows great retention. Smells of malty caramel and toffee with just enough earthy floral hops to make it a Sam Adams beer. The taste is a little sweet and a bit malty with a great Irish Red caramel feel to it. Spicy earthy hops provide some balance to the sweetness. Medium body with a moderate to spirited level of carbonation and a sweet malty mouthfeel. This is a nice Irish Red with a bit of a kick in the hops. I liked it a bit.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Had on tap at the brewery.

Clear, reddish-brown. Light, little bubbles. Smelled not too much of cherries, and salt water. Taste is not off-putting, but not outstanding either. Light and easy across the palate. Seems well designed for style.

It was a treat to have a "rare" SA beer while in it's home town.

3.52/5  rDev -5.4%

A- very caramel red with no foam at all. Very basic in terms of body and color

S- very sweet with caramel and sugar flavor

T- brick red is malty and sweet. A good amount of flavor in terms of the malty experience

M- a little light but still good on the sugary flavor

O- what else can be said, I am in Boston and you have to embrace this type of beer experience

3.26/5  rDev -12.4%

A- A nice deep dark amber, thin white head.

S- Caramel malt, maybe a light cherry aroma, but not a whole lot.

T- Mainly malt coming through, caramel, some hop presence.

M- Smooth, malty, medium bodied.

O- Good beer, but not a whole lot coming through. I could drink a few.

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%

From notes taken during lunch before the Saturday session of EBF 2012.

A - Clear reddish amber color with a thin off-white head and some lacing on the glass. A nice, clean looking beer.

S - Very malty, little bit of caramel and other amber-ish malts. Very faint notes of hops.

T - Malts, caramel, taste exactly as expected for the Irish Red style. A very good example of the style.

M - Medium bodied, nice carbonation, creamy with a bit of crispness in the finish. Very, very drinkable.

O - Boston Brick Red is a nice and solid example of the style. In particular, it is very drinkable and a great accompaniment to a meal (I had this one with pizza). It is rare and I definitely would like to see more of this one.

3.3/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a pint glass on tap at Joe's American Bar & Grill Dedham, MA.

Nice amber color, with a small head smelling of lemon and wheat; accompanied by a pungent tanginess.

At first, the finish seemed off-balance- too heavy for the initial smell and pungency.

After the beer warmed up- the finish was a smoother tangy lemon-wheat.

It's a good restaurant beer. I would be interested in trying it in a bottle for comparison.

3.07/5  rDev -17.5%

I had this at the Cheers set bar in Boston. Served in a dimpled Cheers mug.

Appearance: I'll admit this is a nice looking beer. Pours a reddish dark amber with a finger of thick off white head that leaves some lacing on the glass.

Smell: Mild smell overall. I'm picking up some bready malt along with a slight sweetness.

Taste: Mild malt and slightly bitter from the hops. There is also a slight nuttiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: The malt profile is nice. This is an alright beer, but not particularly interesting.

Samuel Adams Brick Red from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 84 out of 100 with 486 ratings