Samuel Adams Brick Red | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Samuel Adams Brick RedSamuel Adams Brick Red

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Irish Red Ale

Added by fitzy84 on 03-03-2009

2.61/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.66/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I believe this is only available in Massachusetts, but if you are in the great city of Boston, you would be better served by trying another craft beer that you can't get in your home state/country.

2.75/5  rDev -24%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I have had this a couple of times now, and nothing special. I consider it below average.

2.92/5  rDev -19.3%

I tried this beer on tap at Cheers on my last trip to Boston on the advice of my server. She said it was only available in Boston and at Disney World, so I ordered one.

The beer poured a beautifully clear dark brick red color from which it takes its name. Despite just a rim for a head, the beer left some decent lacing.

Unless my nose was off, I couldn't smell much of anything. Just a faint caramel malt aroma, and you really have to sniff hard to get that.

Flavor wise, the pale malts and caramel really come through, but the biggest surprise was how bitter this beer was. I'm not sure what hops were used, but there has to be a boatload of them in here. They don't just balance the beer - they overwhelm it. In this case I think it was too much of a good thing. I would have preferred less hops and more malt for this style beer, but that's me. If you're a hop hound you may fall in love with this one. For me, it was just OK, but give them credit for coming up with something absolutely unique.

The beer leans towards full bodied but with crisp carbonation so it doesn't feel so heavy.

While not one of my favorites, I would still recommend trying it once just because I haven't tasted anything else quite like it.

2.96/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

The body on brick red is what the name suggests: a very, deep dark red that is almost marroon, bordering on brown. A slight off-white head leaves one or two spots of lacing.

There is not a ton of any kind of aroma on this one, but what is there is a toffee like malt aroma.

The taste is more flavorful. Pretty much all big malts though. Lots of toffee and caramel with just a touch of hops that is barely noticeable.

This is a medium bodied, medium carbonated beer, which is fine. However, I would like it to better a little drier than it is, especially in the finish.

Fairly drinkable beer, pretty average overall.

Samuel Adams Brick Red from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)