Samuel Adams Coastal Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams Coastal WheatSamuel Adams Coastal Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by jdhilt on 09-14-2009

Reviews: 497 | Ratings: 1,165
1.22/5  rDev -61.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle. Only a moderate head for a wheat beer, and this quickly disappears leaving only a thin white layer of foam, and moderate lacing. Beer is a hazy, semi-cloudy deep golden. Aroma has a weird, oddly chemically smell reminiscent of Lemon Pledge. Taste carries the same harsh artificial quality. Mouthfeel is thin, withy nothing special standing out. This beer is close to being undrinkable to me, and by far my biggest disappointment from Sam Adams.

1.4/5  rDev -56.1%

I don't get it replace your hefe that was actually an American Wheat to an American Wheat with lemon peels. Why not do a real German style hefeweizen to join the party of Cherry Wheat, Double White, White Ale, DunkelWeizen and Summer. That's alot of wheat beer. Maybe it's time to do a different style, how about an IPA. Pale hazed golden orange hue with a bright white head, leaves behind speckled lacing. Aroma has a biscuit malt character a lot of yeast nuttiness with citrus peels apparent. Not much sweetness or hops going on here. Pretty abrasive with lemon peel zest bitterrness and tart wheat blended with that nasty dry nutty yeast notes. Mouthfeel overall is pretty harsh with the carbonation levels just an unpleasant experience with the lemonpeel left on the palate after each sip. Drinkability is poor this is one that should be skipped and I enjoy most of the Sam Adams brews out there.

1.48/5  rDev -53.6%

Boring ol yellowish clear. white head of 1 finger and little to no lacing. just the same ol boring taste feel and finish. could have just as well had a boring miller lite. yes this beer was that terrible to my taste buds. not much flavor nor any thing good.

1.48/5  rDev -53.6%

Got this one from a winter variety pack. It pours a nice golden color in the glass. The aggressive lemon smell reminds me of cleaning solution. The taste isn't too far off. This beer seems to have been a well intentioned attempt at adding something simple and refreshing to a variety pack. The execution just isn't there. Every sip reminded me of chemicals.

1.56/5  rDev -51.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought at Albies in a sampler sixxer with Black ale and Irish red.
A-Pours a lacking gold color, like Coors accidentally poured into a glass the had a bit of milk left in it. Head was thin and coarsely laced, dissipated fairly quick. The label indicated some sort of exotic lemon was added to the mix. Uh-oh.
S-Excellent; for lemonade. Unfortunately it's beer. Beer mixed with Lemon pledge is a good comparison.
T-see above. My first beer to be poured down the drain. Threw away the glass I used just to be safe.
M-Much less worse then the taste and smell. Not too offensive.
I have no idea why SA insists on putting fruit in their beer. I have tangled with the dreaded cranberry lambic as well. Seems like they are universally hated.
Update-tried the other bottle, came in with a head full of steam psyching myself up to finish the whole bottle. Just as awful as the last one. Another for the sink. Tastes and smells like hand soap. Very quickly losing the desire to buy anything SA as 1/3 of the nine dollar six pack got poured.

1.6/5  rDev -49.8%

I'm not going to do a full review from this one tasting. I'll try a bottle from my local and run it through the test-taste gauntlet. Just wanted to note that this draft example, which I had with lunch at an Uno's Chicago Pizza restaurant, was a tall glass of diacetyl soup.

The nose began to put me off, but once I started drinking, I found it completely unacceptible. In fact, I sent it back and the waitress brought me a perfectly drinkable Half Moon wheat to help wash down my pizza, and to remove the rancid-butter slick from my mouth left by the Sam Adams.

I am normally a fan of Sam Adams beers--they do a very nice job on a wide variety of brews. This one was simply yucky. However, in the previous BA reviews of this beer, I don't see others who encountered the diacetyl bomb, so I'll give Sam a fair second chance.

1.66/5  rDev -48%

I'm no beer expert, but do enjoy many of the offering from the Boston Beer Company. Sam Adams Octoberfest, Irish Red and Winter Lager are some of my favorites. With that being said, Coastal Wheat is barely drinkable.

All I get from this beer smell wise is Pine-Sol. Can't taste like it smells...right? Think again. This Ale is over-powered by a very artificial lemon taste, with not much else present. It's like you soaked a bottle of water in a lemon Air-Wick overnight. I get no real wheat taste and very minimal hops. It's just taken over by this awful artificial lemon taste that is down right bad.

I wouldn't recommend this to anybody, unless they are a fanatic of sucking lemons or eating 3-4 boxes of lemonheads a night. Luckily I bought a varietly 6-pack and only had to suffer through two of these bastards. Two thumbs down.

1.71/5  rDev -46.4%

Poured from the bottle a creamy golden yellow with a fizzy white head that disapated quickly and left soapy lacing on the glass. Smell was overly lemony almost like a cleaner or pinsol. Taste was terrible light malt flavor didn't pick up any wheat and then came the lemons...way too much lemon that left u with a horrible lemon soap aftertaste. Mouthfeel for this beer might have been its best attribute creamy and soft with a fuller body than expected. Drnkability for me was nill. I tried to drink it let it warm up nothing.. Drain pour and will not be looking to have another.

1.78/5  rDev -44.2%

A- Pours a hazy golden color with an off white head.

S- All wheat and lemon with this one.

T-Wheat upfront with a bitter, slightly sour lemon taste that makes me cringe.

M- Very well carbed which makes it very thin feeling.

D- Not very good. I'm finding myself struggling to finish this one and not looking forward to the other one I have left. Here's hoping it won't be in 2010's Winter Classics pack.

1.88/5  rDev -41.1%

Pours a strange yellowish straw color with mild carbonation and a thin white head, no lacing.
Smells quite nasty of booze and artificial lemon.
Taste quite bitter for a wheat beer. Kind of one note for a wheat beer as well, mostly like a flat lemon-lime soda.
Mouthfeel was very thin.
I could not even finish one of these.

1.88/5  rDev -41.1%

A: pours a pale hazy golden color with lots of bubbles and virtually no head. Looks more like sparkling juice than beer.

S: fruity orange notes, some weird spice notes.. can't put my finger on it but almost smells like cinnamon.. not what I expect to smell in a wheat beer

T: the flavor falls flat, none of the orange flavors come through... the front has a somewhat sour characteristic and tastes like stale grains, a touch of wheat on the end. This has an adjunct lager type thing going on, not very pleasant... very watery

MF: thin and watery, no body, medium carbonation

D: yuck. not a pleasant wheat beer at all.. in fact, I think that is a nice way of stating it.

1.9/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Had this on tap at Taco Mac Perimeter. The beer was a slightly hazy pale yellow with a bit of head. The smell reminds me of lemon scented dawn dishsoap, way to overpowering of lemons. The taste is over whelming of lemons and I found it to be way too much, I couldn't really taste any of the flavors from the beer. It felt almost if the lemon taste was competing with the other flavors of the beer. Very disappointing.

1.98/5  rDev -37.9%

served into a pint glass

freshness date of mar 2012

pours a cloudy golden color with a small beady head

lemon, grain, and soap in the smell

lemon tastes ridiculously artificial. the wheat that follows isnt half-bad.

didnt know what to expect with this, im kinda losing faith in good ol uncle sam

2.06/5  rDev -35.4%

Slightly foggy and slightly low on saturation.

It smells like lemon pledge, which scares me.

The taste is empty. I continue to be disappointed by Samuel Adams.

The mouthfeel is like a dropped tennis ball. It's also a bit watery.

I had to dig at the store to get to this beer, so it might be a bit old, but it shouldn't be out of date. Either way, it was no good. I've had two disappointing beers tonight.

2.08/5  rDev -34.8%

Pours to a light haze with a creamy mostly white, dense head. The haze aside, the color is light and bright. Laces quite nicely. The nose has hints of wheat characteristics with very restrained spice and citrus notes. The lemons are more evident on the palate which does linger despite the light body. It is hard to find the malt. The ale does not impress, but may be suited for the larger market looking for an up-market brand name light ale. Summer quencher? Would do well with fried foods. I will hesitate before I buy it again.

2.08/5  rDev -34.8%

Saw this waiting for me when I came in to work today. OOOH... I love goodies waiting for me. Reading the label, thought, "they took the lemon idea in hefeweizen and already added it".

Got home, already had it chilled, popped it and poured it into a pint glass.

Nice head 1.5 fingers or so. First smell...not much. Not the big wheat or clove I was expecting. First sip...

WOW!!!~;ALSIDJFAP;OWDFIUH

LEMON. Lots of it. Not even a hint of hefewiezen. Just lemon rine.

Got a phone call from sister in law and let it sit for a half an hour. Came back, and the head was still standing. Lacing was decent, but nothing overwhelming. Tried it again, and still almost the same reaction.

I poured a little for my wife, and she "almost" liked it. She said a corona or bud light lime person might like it.

I got about half way through the glass. Could do without seeing this one waiting for me again.

2.11/5  rDev -33.9%

Usually if I'm not sure what new beer I want to try I just head for a s Sam Adams style as they rarely disappoint me. This beer, however was a waste of my money for my taste.

A - yellowish-amberish I suppose.

S - Lemon, but not authentic. More of a lemon dishsoap sort of smell.

T - Very plain and dilluted. Taste like a mix of carbonated water, an adjunct beer, and a spritz or two of lemon.

M - Carbonated but wattery.

O - Not one I would personally buy again. I still remain a fan of sam adams but don't feel this one belongs in their lineup.

2.12/5  rDev -33.5%

A- Very inviting glow. Yellow straw with unfiltered appearance. The yellow is so bright, I wonder if the lemon affects this? In any case this stuff looks good.

S- Lemon, like Murphy's Oil Soap. Sweet nose with yeast hints like a blue moon.

T- This stuff isn't for me. My girlfriend came by while I was drinking this and had a sip... and loved it. I gave it away and poured another beer. Lemon, lemon, lemon, yeast

M- Light body. Overly carbonated for its consistency- this definitely effects the flavor

D- Surprisingly the second flavor in this variety pack I am going to have to say "No thanks" to, bummer

2.12/5  rDev -33.5%

Poured form a bottle with a best by September date.

I have to say I love many SA products, I often get the boston lager, the noble pils and the cream stout, but I hated this one, I haven't been this disappointed in one of their products since I had the cranberry lambic.

This pours a golden straw like color, slightly hazy (but not much for a wheat), white foamy head. The smell isn't good, I smell the lemon rinds but it almost smells like a lemon soap, not very appetizing. Mouth feel is okay, pretty light but good for a summer beer. The taste though is terrible, I don't get any wheat, in fact all I can taste is the lemon, its not a good tart lemon taste but instead its some bitter bizarre soapy aftertaste. I actually can't taste anything but the aftertaste. I'm so glad I tried one of these my friend had because I don't know if I could finish a 6 pack.

Overall, I disliked this and won't get it again. At least SA tried something new, its just one something I liked at all.

2.16/5  rDev -32.3%

The beer pours an opaque colored haze, nice looking beer and has a good full head that leaves lacing. In the sam adam's tradition, it is a good looking beer. That is where it ends, however! Extremely hard to finish, has oft-kilter flavours, tastes as if lemons were added instead of malted, very unbalanced. Sam Adams cannot make a good Hefe, and I don't know why. Need to fill the holiday classics packs with more Fezzelwig and Holiday Porter, cause those are outstanding. This one is not a good one.

2.19/5  rDev -31.3%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, yellow label. Standard Sam Adams markings.

Appearance: Pours clear until the end of the bottle, then there is a bit of haze. Darker than your average wheat, nice head.

Smell: A bit of wheat, but the lemon dominates - and it doesn't come across very appetizing. Smells fake, not fresh.

Taste: Again, the lemon dominates, and it isn't appealing. This one reminds me of one of the many Leinenkugel overly sweet and fake fruit beers.

Overall impression: Meh - I'm not thrilled to have the rest of the six pack, avoid.

2.2/5  rDev -31%

Tried this at a distributor trade show and was shocked how bad this beer is, especially from illustrious Samuel Adams. I do not know what they were aiming at here. But this is one Sam Adams than can easily be skipped. This stuff makes Leinenkugel's Shandy look good. Take some ordinary beer and add lemon juice and I think you could obtain better results. This was truly shocking, and not in a good way.

2.21/5  rDev -30.7%

Pours a somewhat hazy yellow-orange, decent sudsy white head that sticks around well. Smell is pretty eh, kinda that generic macro smell (aka urine) with a touch of wheat and light fruit. Taste is very boring, incredibly thin mouthfeel, tastes almost like seltzer water while in my mouth, the aftertaste is a little better with big wheat/bread taste with a small touch of lemon. The lemon taste gains some ground towards the end, but it's not saving this one. On the label it calls this a "fresh twist on the popular Hefeweizen style", what a joke. And what is this doing in the winter sampler pack? Drinkability is okay I guess since it's so light and watery, but I definitely am not a fan of this one.

2.22/5  rDev -30.4%

Pours a nice golden hue, with a half finger head.

the smell is great with a fair amount if yeast present. Lemon is definitely in the back round but still somewhat there.

The taste is very light and somewhat disappointing. What should be a refreshing and drinkable beer is marred by a Smokey middle. the finish is somewhat better but this is anything but a refreshing wheat beer.

2.23/5  rDev -30.1%

12oz. bottle served into a pint glass

Pours a murky taxicab yellow. Not so much cloudy as slightly hazy. One finger of white head forms, reducing to a thin ring. Very respectable lacing elevates this beer to above average in appearance.

The lemon is immediately noticeable. Not just that lemony zip of wheat that is present in basically all American Pale Wheat Ales but specficially a sugary lemon candy sort of smell. The label mentions that this beer was brewed with the zest of Eureka and Lisbon lemons from California. What you get as a result is a heavy smell of Lemonheads brand candy. No yeast aromas to speak of (which is good if rating to the APWA style). Ghosts of spice, but I think that's just a mental trick. A tiny bit of hops; could use more. I like the lemons when cold, but they get to be too artificial after a while. As the beer warms it increasingly takes on the aroma of air freshener.

Oh, no. No. This taste is disastrous. Artificial, chemically lemon taste. Soapy phenols at the sides of the tongue. Not really much wheat flavor. Stronger is the flavor of potato bread that hasn't been fully baked. The finish is a discordant nightmare. It is really unpleasant.

Mouthfeel is pretty average for the style. It has enough carbonation and body. If it tasted worth a shit then it would be more drinkable than it is.

Avoid at all costs. Coastal Wheat has all the makings of a solid beer... except for how it tastes. An unfortunate misstep.

Samuel Adams Coastal Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)