Samuel Adams Coastal Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams Coastal WheatSamuel Adams Coastal Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by jdhilt on 09-14-2009

Ratings: 1,166 |  Reviews: 498
3.39/5  rDev +6.3%

It seemed a bit odd that a wheat would be released in late fall/early winter because it is competing with darker and much heavier beers, so it stood out from the stouts and porters in my last beer run.

It's a very pretty beer, dark orange and very cloudy, with so much head some spilled out of my glass. The aroma was dominated by lemon/citrus with a hint of wheat. For taste it was about even with wheat and lemon. The taste was nice, but not spectacular. It was a bit light for a wheat, but that just might be all the porters I've had lately and my taste buds adapting to more hearty winter brews. No bad aftertaste, no great aftertaste, just the mellow reminiscence of a bit of lemon.

Overall it's nice, but nothing overly impressive. I'll take it, but I won't be in a rush to get another one.

2.96/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Grabbed a bottle of this out of a winter mixed case which we picked up for our annual Christmas party. Had heard polarizing things about this beer so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Appearance- Wow, what a surprise here. Pours with an immense rocky three fingers of white head over a pale, hazy golden yellow body. A significant amount of beading carbonation and a whole lot of lacing left as I drink. Quite a looker from Sam Adams and great for the style.

Smell- Some cereal graininess and yeastiness coming through. However, dominated by an overpowering lemon-zestiness that borders on the very artificial. Can't really get much else out of it besides that as a result.

Taste- Again, dominated by what I consider to be a rather artificial tasting lemony quality that really overwhelms the other aspects of the taste. Regardless, still able to detect a healthy amount of wheat coming through, along with some fruity esters. Really comes across as bordering on the artificial overall though I feel.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is a touch thin and the carbonation is a bit aggressive. Not terrible in this regard however. Drinkability really suffers for me though as a result of the overwhelming amount of lemon I seem to be getting.

Overall, not a terrible beer, but I didn't find it to be well balanced and it bordered on tasting very artificial. Not my favorite Sam Adams offering but didn't think it was absolutely awful either.

3.47/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Sam Adams glass. Big fluffy white head with good lacing and cloudy straw yellow body. Aroma of lemons and an overwhelming lemon flavor without being too sour. Trying to figure out just why this perfect summer-time brew is offered in the winter 12-pack.

3.18/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours cloudy orange hue topped by white frothy head. Aroma of floral notes, lemons, and flittering citrus notes. A spicy taste of citrus, lemons, ginger, orange soda, wheat. High carbonation that zaps the tongue with sizzle. A bit annoying in mouthfeel and the orange taste is an ultra sweet flavor that throws me off halfway through the pint.

3.75/5  rDev +17.6%

Serving notes - celler temp (55), Sam Adam's glass
A - light clean wheat malt, no spices or hops.
A - three fingers of rocky head that quickly dissipates to a quarter-inch. Semi-clear yellow-orange hue.
M - medium body with light to medium carbonation.
T - Wheat malt with slight lemon in the background. Very clean.
D - Great example of an American wheat beer. (although I am not sure why it appears in Sam Adams' winter sampler pack)

2.76/5  rDev -13.5%

Looks typical for a lighter wheat beer. Nothing special. Almost NO lacing and NO head. Aroma is nothing special either...a little to "lemon" for me. If ya like lemon...this is for you.

This was not a bad brew...it was easy to drink, but I'm won't be searching the stores for it either.

3.33/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a clear weizen glass. May 2010 notched on front label. Purchased as part of SA Winter Sampler 12-pack for $15.49 at Harris Teeter (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Slightly hazy yellow with shade of sunburst near the head with a 1-2 finger foamy white head that dissipates quickly and leaves a few random spots of lace.

S: Pretty devoid of aroma -- mostly tangy wheat malt with a dash of lemon citrus.

T: This is a lot like Summer Wheat with wheat and grainy maltiness springing first with the lemon and some herbal hops mainly present in the finish and aftertaste.

M: Feel is a chemical in nature and too astringent, probably because of too much lemon juice. Very dry, artificially so in the finish.

D: I like the grainy beginning but I'm not much on the chemical feel.

2.43/5  rDev -23.8%

Very thick head, tight bubbles, tiny bit of lacing around the glass, the head dissipated to a thin line in just a couple minutes. Pale color and a cloudy

citrus and spicy aromas not overwhelming

a sour wet hay kind of flavor, more spice than citrus.

light and thin, not as bubbly as other wheat beers I've had

Not a bad light beer, I think it would do on a warm day. Kind of strange that this was in a winter mix pack. Not Sam's greatest effort, but I certainly didn't pour this down the drain either.

3.08/5  rDev -3.4%

A-Not clear but not near as hazy a Hefe. Gold in color
S- Lemony but not a tart lemon smell.
T- The lemon flavor, and again not a tart lemon, starts big and then gives way the dull wheat aftertaste that so many American Wheat ales leave in the finish. I am having trouble finishing it. I think I would enjoy it more if there were tartness.
MD- Okay but I would never buy or even try again.

1.22/5  rDev -61.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle. Only a moderate head for a wheat beer, and this quickly disappears leaving only a thin white layer of foam, and moderate lacing. Beer is a hazy, semi-cloudy deep golden. Aroma has a weird, oddly chemically smell reminiscent of Lemon Pledge. Taste carries the same harsh artificial quality. Mouthfeel is thin, withy nothing special standing out. This beer is close to being undrinkable to me, and by far my biggest disappointment from Sam Adams.

2.91/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a cloudy hazy light yellow color with a thick creamy head. The head gives way to some lacing. The aroma is of lemon, not much else, maybe some wheat. The taste is of wheat up front and then a lemon taste, the taste is a little stingy. Mouthfeel is good there is a moderate amount of carbonation. Drinkability is okay, you could have two or three but not many more. The lemon flavor was a little stingy and as you go the smell becomes a little like lemon pledge.

2.88/5  rDev -9.7%

Cloudy yellowish amber colored beer with out much head formation.

Smells of wheat and lemon with a slight honeysuckle scent. Slight smell of vanilla from what I do not know.

Starts out malty with a slight lemon flavor. This gets sweeter as you drink it and it isn't all that dry for a wheat beer. Lots of soda cracker malt flavor here.

Mouthfeel is good.

This is a beer that completely under whelmed me. Sweetish wheat beer with a little lemon. A lot like their summer ale and I don't much care for that one either.

3.06/5  rDev -4.1%

As the newest addition to the Winter Classics Sampler (huh?) this was the first beer I pulled out and tried..

Lemt me first say that this beer has no business being in the Winter Classics to begin with... Its obviously a summer or spring beer so it feels out of place from the very start...I tried not to let that bias this review however... Still, it doesn't make any sense to me... But it is what it is so...

Pours a very cloudy yeasty pale golden with a thick creamy head and actually looks pretty damn good... If it was June...

Lemony aromas mingle with an earthy wheatiness in a rather unspectacular way... Very ordinary... I was expecting more citrus from the lemon instead of the faint aromas I'm getting...

Wheaty upfront followed by a slight lemony zing.. Not really much else to say.. This seems very one dimensional and rather forgettable...I wanted to like this one to spite myself but I just couldn't do it..

Overall, this seems like a filler beer for the long awaited Holiday Porter and Old Fezziwig..

Very ordinary...

2.96/5  rDev -7.2%

I had this as a sample at the local liquor store. Interesting that they're putting out what I would consider a summer beer in the winter. The rep said it is flavored with the zest from three different lemons and you can definitely tell this. It has a huge lemon/citrus nose that follows into the flavor.

3.73/5  rDev +16.9%

Pale yellow colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma is faintly lemon.Taste is zesty lemon with a wheat backing.Good beer that goes down smooth like water.I don't beleive I've ever had a bad Samuel Adams beer yet.I recommend and would purchase any of their beers.

2.73/5  rDev -14.4%

A- Beer poured a cloudy golden color with a pretty good sized head that receded fairly quickly.

S- I got this beer in a 6 pack winter sampler, and I don't know if it was just the batch but the smell was overpoweringly lemony, almost to the point where it smelled like lysol.

T- Taste followed the smell, very strong lemon taste, and like the Sam Adams Summer Ale, the citrus flavors tasted cheap to me, very uncharacteristic of Sam Adams.

M- A good bit of carbonation, but goes down pretty smooth.

D- I like most of Sam Adams' lineup, but this is not one of my favorites and I probably wont buy again. I have never seen this beer until recently, and it makes me wonder why Sam Adams would release a citrus wheat ale with their winter lineup. Definatley suited more for the spring and summer variety packs.

2.5/5  rDev -21.6%

I got this beer from the Winter Brew 12-pack. This beer has a cloudy, gold color to it. It pours with a large head. The smell has a slight scent of lemons but not much else. The initial taste is sorta tangy. The beer seems a little rough when drinking. My overall experience of this beer does not leave me with the urge to try another.

3.73/5  rDev +16.9%

A-Pours a hazy light golden color with a medium fluffy white head that has good retention and some pretty good spotty lacing.

S-The aroma has lots of spicy yeast and a slight bubble gum wheat smell. Actually very nice. Maybe some lemon zest in there too.

T-The flavor is simple with spicy wheat and yeast. No bannana or cloves, just some lemon wheat bread. Simple but nice.

M-It's creamy in the start but crisp in the finish with a slight dryness at the end. Kind of a thin body though...

D-I'd say, given the abv and style, it's a very sessionable beer indeed.

3.7/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Acquired from a Sam Adams 2009 Winter Variety pack. Poured into a pint glass (the only thing I had available).

Pours slightly hazy, mostly yellow with a thin white head that dissipates quickly. Its not leaving behind any lacing. As for the smell, its fairly subdued with some lemon zest but mostly wheat malt and nothing else.

As for the taste, its very simple and accessible. There's a little wheat malt flavor, a little lemon zest, and a smidgen of hoppiness but not much. There's a hint of vanilla in the finish once it warms up a bit. Its fairly lightly carbonated and easy to drink. Its very light and refreshing but fairly uninteresting.

Overall, I have to say I'm happy this is included in the winter pack. A lot of people seem opposed to lighter beers in the winter but I actually like lighter beers occasionally in the winter just like I like heavy beers in the summer! It might be worth a try if you're not really into wheat beers (I personally am not) but probably not that great if you're really into them.

2.9/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a weiss glass.

Pours a light straw with a decent cloud. Head is weak for a weiss and doesn't seem to stand up to the proper glassware, very fizzy and active.

Aroma is of wheat, not good wheat but husky, dank wheat. Citrus and coriander ride in there somewhere. Hint of yeast but pretty hard to pull out over the husky and somewhat harsh wheat aroma.

Flavor is more of the husky wheat which overpowers the flavor. Mild citrus notes, a bit of lemon zest. Yeast is not discernible at all in the flavor. This reminds of a watered down hefe, not something I seek out usually.

Mouthfeel is painfully thin and very much too crisp. The carbonation overpowers the beer.

Wow, I have been VERY impressed with BBC in the past. This is a big disappointment. Weak aroma, weak flavor and weak body. Even for an APWA, this is weak.

3.38/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Part of the Sam Adams Winter Classics 12 pack. Coastal Wheat pours a hazed golden orange in color with a white head. Wheat malt aroma with lemon zest and some vanilla. The mouthfeel is medium in body with some nice carbonation along the edges.

The taste is bright and lively. Ample wheat malt flavor with a spicy, lemony citrus middle that's not overdone. Some vanilla emerges toward the back. The finish has a mild hop bitterness to it.

Interesting and unexpected inclusion in the Winter Classics mixed pack. It's refreshing to have a summer-style beer in with the heartier offerings, but it still seems out of place. I'd much prefer to see Costal Wheat in the Summer mixed 12 pack where its nuances would be much more appreciated during that time of the year. It would make more sense for the Boston Brewing Company to include something along the lines of their Cream Stout or Scotch Ale or create something new instead of a pale wheat ale for winter.

3.13/5  rDev -1.9%

This beer is kind of like SA Summer Ale light... you really taste the lemon and it has a very light body with a bit more of a watery/wheaty finish than the summer ale. Fairly easy to drink, but not stunning in its flavor or complexity. The watery finish really takes away from the beer's enjoyability... I'm really only getting the lemon flavor and a little malt from this.

3.37/5  rDev +5.6%

A - A very hazy yellowish brown beer with 3 fingers of white head in a hefe glass. I would have liked to see a little more brightness in this, especially with all the lemon flavor, but as it is it looks rather unappetizingly dark.

S - Smell is rich and sweet. Strong beer smell with enough of a lemon twist to get the point across. Definitely a well balanced smell.

T - Taste is disappointing. Comparable to a Leinie's Sunset Wheat without the blueberries and a bit more lemon. Lemon taste is tart, which when combined with the bitterness leaves the beer rather unbalanced. Something sweet, like blueberries or something of the like would have done this beer well.

MF - Feels surprisingly fizzy as I can't see any carbonation in my glass. Still, goes down easy and finishes dry.

D - The taste is holding me back from having more than 2. Too tart to really enjoy much of.

3.22/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured a very small head that left very quickly and left no lacing. Its a very hazy pale color. All I really get in the smell is tangy lemon zest, hops, and possibly some caramel malt, but maybe thats just me. The taste is mostly lemon, not tangy though, and a very small amount of hops. It leaves a less than decent after taste, i cant really describe it though.

3.42/5  rDev +7.2%

A: Pours a cloudy golden/orange color. A small, bubbly white head forms, and recedes to nothing. Not much lace to speak of.
S: Sweet malty aroma. Lemon and citrus. An oily hop presents with a linger bitterness.
T: Follows the nose. A substantial sweetness, and a little grainy. Lemon and citrus flavors. Lingering hop bitterness.
M/D: A light body that is thin and watery. Not hard to drink. Something I can session with no problem.

Not bad at all. This would be a good summer session. There is a little more flavor here than in some other Pale Wheat Ales. Worth a try, I just don't know why it is in the winter mixed pack?

Samuel Adams Coastal Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)