Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection) | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection)Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection)
3.74/5

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Aged in oak barrels; hand-bottled corked & caged; bottled-conditioned. A greater percentage of "Cosmic Mother Funk" was blended into this beer.

Added by Todd on 10-30-2009

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured into Teku glass. Beautiful dark red with ruby highlights. Smell the funk and oak. Not sure if the "American Wild Ale" category is entirely accurate as this strikes me more as a Flanders-style red (and was marketed as such when purchased).

Sweet cherry and yeast funk. Wine-like and very approachable for the style. A bit of earth and malt lingers in the middle. Bourbon-y like vanilla and oak come out toward the end. Powder-dry finish. Medium-bodied. A bit more tart and sweet than sour, but really nice choice if you are looking for something a bit funky under the $10 a bottle price point. I paid $7.99 and consider this a real value given the quality.

A good beer to take to convert red wine drinkers. I'd like to give this a go with a good steak or traditional country French food.

4.15/5  rDev +11%

Poured chilled in snifter on my birthday.

A: cloudy, dark red color; thin but frothy head; modest carbonation
S: very vinegary; promises the wild ale/lambic side of things
T: Very complex flavor; oaken flavor; sour grape/cherry underlines a strong malt profile; hops are relatively subdued; boozy; very nice

Really nice after-dinner beer

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from a limited edition bottle into a Belgian Tulip glass.

A-red-amber body, off-white head, thick

S-strong, acidic raspberry-like smell, faint Belgian yeast smell.

T-tart, sour front with a malty finish.

M-medium mouthfeel yet spritzy carbonation.

D-Not at all what I expected. The notion that its a red throws me off. I expected something more malty. Its interesting. Worth a try, but I don't think I will have it again.

3.97/5  rDev +6.1%

The new Sam Adams Barrel Room Select series beers just hit the shelves in Boston today, and I have to say that they come in some very handsome bottles. I ended up getting this and the American Kriek, probably will go back for the Tripel on another day. Poured in to my new Lindeman's Lambic flute, the color is of rust, which is interesting. I worked up about two fingers of heading, which fizzed away, and faded quickly. It definitely smells like a wild beer. I get plenty of fruit, some degree of funk, smells sort of like sparkling wine. Taste has some tart cherry, apple skin, barnyard funk, and little touches of the oak here and there. It feels pretty light on the palate, with a good dose of carbonation, furthering it's similarity to a sparkling wine. Alcohol is evident in the taste, but it does nothing to impair the drinkability. Not a bad beer at all here from Sam Adams. The price tag isn't too bad, the bottle is nice, and the liquid within it is as well. I think I might blend myself a glass of this and the Kriek at some point tonight. Cheers to Sam Adams for experimenting.

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

3.94/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2.75/5  rDev -26.5%

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

I'll admit it -- I'm not a huge fan of Sam Adams. I respect what they do, and recognize that they cleared a lot of trail for the American craft brew industry, but every time I drink one of their beers, I end up wishing they would take a little more risk. Their beers always end up on the safe side of interesting. So when my local shop told me they had a Sam Adams "Flanders Red", I was ready to take a pass.

However...

It was priced too low to blow off -- less than half the price of any other sour in the store. And the flip side of playing it safe is that Sam Adams has a high floor. At minimum, this beer won't suck, right? Only one way to find out.

A vigorous pour into a goblet produces a foamy, almond-colored head over a murky, mahogany and blood orange liquid. This quickly reduces to a thin head, leaving little lacing.

It smells like a sour. I'm also picking up cherries. And maybe it's just the power of suggestion, but now that I've written about the color, I smell almonds. This is supposed to be barrel-aged, but I'm no picking up any oak at all. As it warms, the cherry begins to take on a Ludens cough drop quality.

I don't catch any almond on the tongue. The cherry flavors are still abundant, however. And now I get a hint of the "toasted oak" promised on the label. Unfortunately, this just isn't sour enough. And I end up with a not entirely pleasant aftertaste.

If this had a more complex nose or more acid, I would probably be happy with the mouthfeel. But now I feel like being picky, so I'll say it: I wish it were more carbonated. On the other hand, it hides the 9% alcohol quite well.

I know I criticized Sam Adams for playing it too safe. With this beer, they show that they can color outside the lines just a little. It's pretty drinkable. I'm definitely going to buy some more, just to see how it ages. But for now, it's not going to replace any of my go-to sours.

EDIT: 2013-03-20
I keep finding this beer on the shelf at a price way too cheap to pass on, so I keep buying it and drinking it. It has grown on me considerably. It reminds me of before-the-best-after-date Dissident. I am nudging the taste and overall scores up a little.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

3.61/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.74/5  rDev 0%

A: A dark and opaque cranberry juice color. Slightly tan head which bubbles away with almost no lacing.

Nose: Right away tart raspberry, and pomegranate. Major funky raspberry jam.

Taste: Yeasty and wild...tart and smooth. Vanilla, vinegar, and cider.

Notes: It's krieky and jammy with plenty of character.

3.96/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Note: This beer has been improperly stored for at least five years. Temps reaching well over 90 degrees in the summers.

A - Poured gently into a tulip glass. The beer is a hazy orange brown with virtually no head. No lacing.

S - The aroma is actually quite nice. I really gives good insight into what to expect. Strong, but not overpowering acidic notes. A little sweet.

T - Given how long this had been sitting for, I was a little worried. Worries were all unfounded. The dominant flavor is something like brown sugar, but it's subdued and contrasted with a tartness that grows with each sip and/or as the beer warms. Lightly citric acid. There is also oak in the background. The 9% alcohol is barely present in terms of flavor.

M - Not too much here. Billed as full-bodied but it doesn't feel that way to me. More like medium. Mild heat/tingle of the alcohol on the finish is nice.

O - This is a nice refreshing beer! I was surprised that it held up for so long and I'm strongly considering picking up another just to see what it would be like fresh. If I do so I'll certainly update the review.

Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)