Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection) | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection)Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection)

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Aged in oak barrels; hand-bottled corked & caged; bottled-conditioned. A greater percentage of "Cosmic Mother Funk" was blended into this beer.

Added by Todd on 10-30-2009

2.87/5  rDev -25.5%

2.03/5  rDev -47.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Without question, the worst sour I've ever had. Bad.

3.66/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is a dark ruby red color. A lot of carbonation and does not support much of a head. The aroma is vinegar, fermented tart cherries and rasberries as well as biscuity malts. Up front in the taste you get fermented cherries, rasberries and vinegar. Then a biscuit/cracker malt flavor mellows out this beer mid sip. In the back end it has a decent lactic acid puckering quality. A nice take on a Flanders red ale.

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I got this beer when it first came out, so it is a few years old. I looked for a date on the bottle but no luck. Poured into a tulip glass. A dark reddish hue, with brown notes. The beer is opaque in color. The head is one finger light tan head, with poor retention. Some carbonation exist, near the top of the head.

A very sour cherry notes, plums, caramel, yeast, and some floral notes.

Sour cherries, plums, toffee, caramel, bread, yeast, floral, citrus, wood, vanilla, and citrus,

The mouthfeel is super carbonated, medium light body with a crisp tangy finish.

This is a very pleasant wild ale, the flavors are pronounced, the wood note is very noticeable; however, I cannot distinguish if it is oak or not. It is just decent beer, had better wild ales.

4.39/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 25 OZ bottle into a pint glass. The appearance was a nice amber red color with a large off-white head. taste of cherries, wheat and oak.

3.61/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.99/5  rDev +3.6%

4.21/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

shared a bottle courtesy of my niece. Thanks Ali!

Looks very nice in the glass. Deep dk red with a decent off white head. no carbonation could be seen, but the head hung around for a while.

Aroma is slightly tart with a strong dark fruit smell.

I like the way this one tastes. Sour notes right up front, and then the plums and dk fruit come through later.

Feel and mouth are a touch above medium.

All in all, glad I got to try this one.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750 ml
Caged/Corked

Pours a pretty nice grapey red color, very nice carbonation, with a pretty nice thick/creamy one-finger off-white head, which leaves some sticky lacing behind. The nose is malty, yeasty, with some nice cherry/raspberry notes, nice tartness, slight oak. The taste is pretty nice as well, malty, yeasty, with some nice cherry/raspberry, nice tart note, oaky. Medium body, ABV hidden pretty well, nice dry finish. Overall, this one is pretty tasty.

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.09/5  rDev +6.2%

4.56/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.77/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.52/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

OK! Wow. Right now I am going to say that I don't know if I should review a beer with a meal. But when I buy a "special" beer, it usually goes with a special meal. So.
I bought a ribeye, bone in, and Brussels sprouts, and some kind of baguette for garlic bread, and expected to get some Brother Thelonius, but it is no longer available from my Albertson's, so I bought this, 'cause it had a cork in it too! And it was on sale, $3 off.
I think this would go better with pork, because it was pretty sour. Not The Dissident kind of sour, and the label did say "tart", but the apples on my 85 year old apple tree are a little tart, but not sour. So I poured it into a regular pint glass, maybe it would be better in a tulip, but I did. And I didn't pour aggressively at first, but I didn't see much action, so I kinda dumped it in. A lot of big bubbles, and they went away immediately, and there was no head, but some effervescence at the surface. No lacing at all.
Then I looked at the color. It was a nice bright orange-red, holding it up to the CFL fixture in the kitchen. And I smelled it. Now, this is where the problem is. If you are eating steak and caramelized Brussels sprouts and toasted garlic bread, can you smell a beer properly? Probably not. But it smelled a bit sour and cidery to me, but kinda rotten, like when you mow under an apple tree that has dropped a lot of fruit, and the bees are a bit drunk. And then I drank some. Hmmm! Sour, and like apple cider, and prunes, and figgy. I liked it! I was supposed to taste the barley and oak, but that escaped me. It was nice in the mouth too, not thick at all, a little puckery, but pleasant.
Overall, this was a nice surprise, and I might give it a little higher rating with pork or all alone, but I want to be honest, and I don't know how to weight something like that. But if you like a little sour in your beer, you should try this one! As far as what a Flanders Red should be like, I haven't a clue.

4.21/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.89/5  rDev +1%

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.99/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

4.26/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

All the flavors come together wonderful with this beer. Love the bottle, though the cork was a bi*** to remove. Pour is nice and this is something I like to save for special occasions. Found it at Whole Foods.

Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)