Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection) | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection)Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection)

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Aged in oak barrels; hand-bottled corked & caged; bottled-conditioned. A greater percentage of "Cosmic Mother Funk" was blended into this beer.

Added by Todd on 10-30-2009

3.77/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.52/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

OK! Wow. Right now I am going to say that I don't know if I should review a beer with a meal. But when I buy a "special" beer, it usually goes with a special meal. So.
I bought a ribeye, bone in, and Brussels sprouts, and some kind of baguette for garlic bread, and expected to get some Brother Thelonius, but it is no longer available from my Albertson's, so I bought this, 'cause it had a cork in it too! And it was on sale, $3 off.
I think this would go better with pork, because it was pretty sour. Not The Dissident kind of sour, and the label did say "tart", but the apples on my 85 year old apple tree are a little tart, but not sour. So I poured it into a regular pint glass, maybe it would be better in a tulip, but I did. And I didn't pour aggressively at first, but I didn't see much action, so I kinda dumped it in. A lot of big bubbles, and they went away immediately, and there was no head, but some effervescence at the surface. No lacing at all.
Then I looked at the color. It was a nice bright orange-red, holding it up to the CFL fixture in the kitchen. And I smelled it. Now, this is where the problem is. If you are eating steak and caramelized Brussels sprouts and toasted garlic bread, can you smell a beer properly? Probably not. But it smelled a bit sour and cidery to me, but kinda rotten, like when you mow under an apple tree that has dropped a lot of fruit, and the bees are a bit drunk. And then I drank some. Hmmm! Sour, and like apple cider, and prunes, and figgy. I liked it! I was supposed to taste the barley and oak, but that escaped me. It was nice in the mouth too, not thick at all, a little puckery, but pleasant.
Overall, this was a nice surprise, and I might give it a little higher rating with pork or all alone, but I want to be honest, and I don't know how to weight something like that. But if you like a little sour in your beer, you should try this one! As far as what a Flanders Red should be like, I haven't a clue.

4.21/5  rDev +9.4%

3.99/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

4.26/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

All the flavors come together wonderful with this beer. Love the bottle, though the cork was a bi*** to remove. Pour is nice and this is something I like to save for special occasions. Found it at Whole Foods.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.3/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.31/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Undated bottle at 42 degrees into snifter
$ 9.99/bottle at Consumer’s
Aroma – smells tart and fruity
Head small (2.5 cm, aggressive pour), light brown, fizzy/frothy, rapidly diminishing to three mm ring and partial layer
Lacing poor – few tiny islands of tiny bubbles
Body – very dark mahogany, clear
Flavor – begins tart with a definite generic fruity taste. The fruit fades somewhat and plum and the tannic acid comes through, nicely oaky. No malt, no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate medium, watery, lively carbonation.

Appearance 4, Aroma 4.25, Flavor 4.5, Palate 4, Overall 4.25

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%

“Belgian style red” aged in oak barrels. Winey and mouthfilling. Very sudsy with clouds of carbonation as you tipple. Very sharp aroma of over-fermented fruit, but at least not vinegary.

This seems like a fair imitation of Rodenbach Grand Cru. The Sam Adams is more robust and more sour, with a woody finish. This even has some molasses and gingerbread flavors. Strong and strange, but interesting for a few sips. I didn't finish the bottle, though.

From the 750 ml bottle with the most annoying and difficult to remove cork ever. Purchased
at Sprouts Market in Santa Fe.

2.67/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.46/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.91/5  rDev +1.6%

Very tart; strong flavors of oak and Belgian yeast. Reminded me a lot of Upland's oak-aged Belgian quad. Really high quality beer from Sam Adams, inspires me to try more of their barrel-aged brews.

4.09/5  rDev +6.2%

2.94/5  rDev -23.6%

3.54/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Samuel Adams Stony Brook Red (Barrel Room Collection) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)